Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Try singing it

Hint: Purple dinosaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Canemacar posted:

Oh, I didn't realise it was referencing something. Guess that kills my (admittedly unimpressive) attempt to get in on the joke.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Trent posted:

I'm sure everyone is just as shocked by this post as I am.

The first couple of Sword of Truth books are fairly standard cheesy fantasy novels. Some weird scenes here and there but generally fine for what they are. It's not till later that it starts feeling like the author screaming his politics directly at you.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Roses are red
Violets are blue

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Dr_Amazing posted:

The first couple of Sword of Truth books are fairly standard cheesy fantasy novels. Some weird scenes here and there but generally fine for what they are. It's not till later that it starts feeling like the author screaming his politics directly at you.

This is 100% untrue. The first book is the only one I ever read, and at least twice in the first book alone some noble farmer delivers an eloquent speech about how what he has created is his and only his to some nobles, who literally cackle about raising taxes. Then he is stoic and executed.

That's not even getting in to the less political stuff, like how the quickest way the author knows to identify a bad character is to make them gay. And also a pedophile, because those are the same thing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Samfucius posted:

This is 100% untrue. The first book is the only one I ever read, and at least twice in the first book alone some noble farmer delivers an eloquent speech about how what he has created is his and only his to some nobles, who literally cackle about raising taxes. Then he is stoic and executed.

That's not even getting in to the less political stuff, like how the quickest way the author knows to identify a bad character is to make them gay. And also a pedophile, because those are the same thing.

Which is weird. I know all these lovely fantasy novels all kind of blend together in my head, but I could swear there was a lot of weird child sexualization stuff that was treated as totally ok in these books, so you'd think he'd make the villains staunchly anti-kidfucking or something.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
that book blows and its unpopular I didn't even hear of it til you dildos wouldn't stop talking about it ITT

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

This is so much better than the "help your uncle jack off a horse".

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Canemacar posted:

I still dont get it, I probably never will even if you hit me in the eye with it. Barney? Tony Hawk? What the hell

But who cares

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

I still dont get it, I probably never will even if you hit me in the eye with it. Barney? Tony Hawk? What the hell

Jesus Christ dude it's the song Barney sings with the last line replaced by the words "Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3."

It rhymes. It was funny. But then you showed up. I need a drink.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Every picture in this thread is worth 1000 words, all of which are trying to explain the joke.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have not gotten a single joke in this thread

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

That means you have got them all.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

My mom isn't that short? And that's a weird crop to that picture, you can't even see her. Why even have her in the picture?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

my mom isnt even blond you stupid gently caress

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RCarr posted:

Jesus Christ dude it's the song Barney sings with the last line replaced by the words "Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3."

If you easily recognize the theme from Barney or the Teletubbies, your problems are more profound than I can help you with.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

If you easily recognize the theme from Barney or the Teletubbies, your problems are more profound than I can help you with.

No if you don't know how the Barney song goes, you are the weird one.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Open the door
Get on the floor

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm pretty sure any person who was a child when Barney was popular can easily recognize the Barney theme song. I'm confused, do you not remember things from your childhood?

RCarr has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Feb 11, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I grew up before Barney, but back in the 90s there were a TON of talk shows that did long segments on the show, and they almost all lead in with the theme, and then that song, and the hosts talking about how wonderful and accepting it is, etc.

You would have had to have gone excessively out of your way to never have heard it in the 90s. Which, to me, implies you were too young to remember them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RCarr posted:

Sorry if I dont know the barney song

In my defense Im not even american, so I dont think I never really heard it

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i distinctly remember how i learned of barney. kids at my school would use watching barney as an insult(because its a kids show, you see). i legitimately didnt know who barney was or why it would be something to make fun of. the people claiming others watched barney clearly knew what it was. i think i had to ask one of them what they were talking about and they kindly explained it to me. thanks, clandestine barney watcher!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Who would have thought Bam was the key to the Tony Hawk universe?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's not the loving Barney theme song it's the generic "roses are red, violets are blue" valentines day poem and its originally a nursery rhyme from 1784

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roses_are_Red

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Am I going insane?

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

It's not the loving Barney theme song it's the generic "roses are red, violets are blue" valentines day poem and its originally a nursery rhyme from 1784

You know they're talking specifically about this one, right?

cash crab posted:

This made me one of those "HA" laughs, I scared the cat, thank you

which is definitely Barney.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

This made me one of those "HA" laughs, I scared the cat, thank you

BANME.sh posted:

Please keep up.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Goons...goons never change...

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

jmistajay posted:

Goons...goons never change...

quote:

walking goddamned DSM checklists.

Is still the truest description.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

I'm dead

Goons have killed me

Cringed inside out, human singularity

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I'm almost positive the earliest episodes of Barney didn't use that song, but instead they all held hands and did some kind of weird chant that banished Barney back into his toy form.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF thoughts on Barney

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

I'm almost positive the earliest episodes of Barney didn't use that song, but instead they all held hands and did some kind of weird chant that banished Barney back into his toy form.

So, like an exorcism?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So his mom didn't get the joke either?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Solice Kirsk posted:

So his mom didn't get the joke either?

She's still looking for it down there.

VendaGoat