Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

chilton mobile:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Genuinely interested to see how Max does tbh. It's the unloved Ganassi entry but it's still a Ganassi car.

He should be able to at the very least beat Kimball.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

He should be able to at the very least beat Kimball.

Give Charlie more credit than that...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the 8's schemes in Long Beach and St Pete a lot last year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

and speaking of him, here's Chuckys car right now:

not sure what novo nordisk product they are planning to put on it? color scheme doesnt match any of the other ones they've run. maybe its not approved yet or somethin (like what happened with the "Lilly" sponsorship on Christian Fittipaldi all those years ago)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Chilton's livery is pretty average

Human Grand Prix posted:

I liked the 8's schemes in Long Beach and St Pete a lot last year.

Took these at Long Beach last year:

Cygni posted:

not sure what novo nordisk product they are planning to put on it? color scheme doesnt match any of the other ones they've run. maybe its not approved yet or somethin (like what happened with the "Lilly" sponsorship on Christian Fittipaldi all those years ago)

At Media Day his firesuit didn't mention Novo Nordisk. My guess is that they haven't officially signed on for 2016 (but may before St Pete)

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

FYI Max Chilton's dad is the CEO of Arthur J. Gallagher Internatinal.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

gret posted:

FYI Max Chilton's dad is the CEO of Arthur J. Gallagher Internatinal.

Ahh good I'm dealing with those shitheels right now. They can gently caress right off.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

At Media Day his firesuit didn't mention Novo Nordisk. My guess is that they haven't officially signed on for 2016 (but may before St Pete)

RaceWithInsulin is a Novo Nordisk website, and you can see still see their logo on the tire ramps. In the past, they've used a couple of different products on the car, like Levemir (the blue and green cars) and Novolog (the blue and orange), and I don't imagine Chip would run the car unless he had the money. Guess we will have to see.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Honda ripped off Chevy, Chevy is ripping off Honda, world keeps on spinnin

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/697491706380308480

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Honda ripped off Chevy, Chevy is ripping off Honda, world keeps on spinnin

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/697491706380308480

I can't wait for Chevy & Honda to merge their aero kits to literally be the same thing just with different badging. What an incredible FU that would be for IndyCar

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

KingShibby posted:

I can't wait for Chevy & Honda to merge their aero kits to literally be the same thing just with different badging. What an incredible FU that would be for IndyCar

I think derrick Walker predicted they'd start looking the same pretty quick, and would certainly end up that way.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah i mean the manufacturers wanted the aerokits so if they end up looking the same, its kinda on them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's also the reality of the fact that they're working from the same basic chassis and they have the exact same overall goal. The boxes they have to play with aren't that big and you just aren't going to get that much visual differentiation.

I'd argue that, at least when compared to the pre-aero and early-aero days, even F1 cars all look substantially the same. The reason everything looked all crazy as poo poo back then is nobody really knew what they were doing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

Give Charlie more credit than that...

He's a nice guy but he's a forever journeyman. Max still currently wants to be more than that so his minimum aim has to beat him.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's also the reality of the fact that they're working from the same basic chassis and they have the exact same overall goal. The boxes they have to play with aren't that big and you just aren't going to get that much visual differentiation.

I'd argue that, at least when compared to the pre-aero and early-aero days, even F1 cars all look substantially the same. The reason everything looked all crazy as poo poo back then is nobody really knew what they were doing.

The only time you get really different looking stuff is immediately after the rules change, from what I've seen.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Yay winglets and platypus nose F1 cars!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Nick Wirth wouldn't have let this happen

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz7oKNh2cEo

:golfclap: for Arrow.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That was pretty awesome.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

last year someone took all the F1 cars and rendered them in all-black livery. it was exceedingly difficult to tell them apart.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Do you like laughing? Know how Honda copied Chevy's front wing? Well...

In fact, taken on whole with those new wheel guards, the 2016 Chevy looks like the 2015 Honda

So yes, they both copied each others car from last year exactly. Racing is the dumbest/greatest.

That said, these might just be development pieces trying to test the other sides ideas and such. I'm not sure when the homologation cut off is.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/126028-indycar-sonoma-testing-gallery

e: Was just reminded that there is no homologation cut off this year as they can use their three 'box' allotment at any time. So the real limiting factor is just the allowed track time. So yeah, hard to say if they are just testing or if this is the real stuff.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 11, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Indycar Boston update: NIMBYs are still bitching

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Feels like Boston will be another one and done, if we even get that far. :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss Baltimore, though I kind of understand if the city decides that a motor race in the touristy bits of the city is not a spending priority.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

The bitching from these idiots drives me mad.

I like the fact that not a peep is said about any other event happening in that city ranging from The Boston Marathons to Red Sox games to Concerts/Sporting events at the Boston Garden.

Yet a loving IndyCar race is to take place and these people bitch out like mad.

Ugh. IndyCar, IMS...just loving stop doing this poo poo. Hit up NHMS again if you want the Boston market that loving bad. You could even use that kick rear end road course they have during the weekend and run the whole MRTI ladder. Double header weekend with using the road course and the oval. Could even run the Whelen Modifieds that weekend, New England race fans go nuts for that poo poo.

Bring back Cleveland, Portland, Watkins-Glen or any number of places that actually have built in fanbases for this poo poo. Seriously just stop doing this.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
An IndyCar race is quieter than the finish of the Boston Marathon anyway.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Give me Baltimore back

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Ugh. IndyCar, IMS...just loving stop doing this poo poo. Hit up NHMS again if you want the Boston market that loving bad. You could even use that kick rear end road course they have during the weekend and run the whole MRTI ladder. Double header weekend with using the road course and the oval. Could even run the Whelen Modifieds that weekend, New England race fans go nuts for that poo poo.

Bring back Cleveland, Portland, Watkins-Glen or any number of places that actually have built in fanbases for this poo poo. Seriously just stop doing this.

I am very much down with this with the exception of the :gonk: Watkins Glen arnco barriers :gonk:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ayn rand hand job posted:

I guess I better put Boston on my race calendar this year since it's probably gonna be one and done :smith:

NHMS or Watkins Glen would be amazing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

KingShibby posted:

I guess I better put Boston on my race calendar this year since it's probably gonna be one and done :smith:

NHMS or Watkins Glen would be amazing

I think it'll go a few years, but GE is moving it's HQ near the race site in the next 5 or so years. Not sure what will happen in that case.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The bitching from these idiots drives me mad.

I like the fact that not a peep is said about any other event happening in that city ranging from The Boston Marathons to Red Sox games to Concerts/Sporting events at the Boston Garden.

Yet a loving IndyCar race is to take place and these people bitch out like mad.

:ughh:

Fuzzy, people spent the better part of a year protesting and blocking USOC selecting Boston for the 2024 bid. It isn't just Indycar

A lot of the protests right now is over the construction and infrastructure plans (widening and resurfacing the circuit) taking months.

It really isn't comparable to anything you listed either. No one's building a new Fenway Park and the Marathon are on roads that have existed for hundreds of years.

People hated the traffic realignment to solve the Garden traffic to, but that project was larger in scale than an IndyCar race and fixing a ton more.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
So how long until Indycar stops running street courses and ponies up for actual circuits?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

So how long until Indycar stops running street courses and ponies up for actual circuits?

They are broke, so never.

Also that's why they don't run everyone's fantasy schedule. It's a small time series, they have a hard time filling stands, and they don't have the money to do track rentals like they did in the IRL days with Tony George spending half a billion floating the series. The only track they actually own, they already run at twice.

As always, the series will run in your grandmas dirt backyard if you can pony up the cash.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

street courses are so, so, so much more profitable, and they tend to draw better crowds because people are just like "oh hey lets wander down and watch this race"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you know what else floats into town, maybe annually, maybe once and never again?

pro wrestling and carnivals

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So Indycar needs to cross-promote with WWE?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I think NASCAR has a lock on WWE fans, they like rigged poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AxeBreaker posted:

I think NASCAR has a lock on WWE fans, they like rigged poo poo.

WWE is sports entertainment and not wrasslin'.

Now NASCAR, that was for WCW and TNA.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Steve Grissom winning the 1996 Busch season opener at Daytona in the WCW car was hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

go3 posted:

Steve Grissom winning the 1996 Busch season opener at Daytona in the WCW car was hilarious

Kyle Petty nWo 4 Lyfe

• Locked thread