Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This Triumph Election Special is loving legendary, oh my god.

I was losing my poo poo when he had those ultra-PC college kids try to describe the flaming black guy and none of them could figure out how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTzycsqxYJ0

:confuoot:

season will absolutely end with Frank and Claire setting aside their differences to take on the new opponent.

Frank is going to out and out steal the election in this season.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
chuck mcgill is an rear end in a top hat

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not sure I'm ready to forgive Triumph for that... sitcom? If that's what they want to call it. You also needed to stay away from liquid while watching that one, but mainly to avoid temptation of pouring it over yourself and lighting a match.

I was in the studio audience for their first taping. It went on for about 5 excruciating hours instead of the 2 they'd said. They wouldn't let anyone leave until people started yelling that they had to be up in the morning and it was already midnight. I watched the finished episode out of curiosity - they'd reshot like 3/4 of it and it was still garbage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I was in the studio audience for their first taping. It went on for about 5 excruciating hours instead of the 2 they'd said. They wouldn't let anyone leave until people started yelling that they had to be up in the morning and it was already midnight. I watched the finished episode out of curiosity - they'd reshot like 3/4 of it and it was still garbage.

Haha this sounds like a great episode of Curb or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

feedmyleg posted:

Holy poo poo, you have all my sympathies. Getting thru the episode on TV is bad enough, id watch for signs of PTSD based on that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IRQ posted:

I was losing my poo poo when he had those ultra-PC college kids try to describe the flaming black guy and none of them could figure out how to do it.
"I think we should break up the big banks."
"Then how are you going to access your parents' money?"

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
There's not much worse out there than the first three episodes of Sex House. Whoever recommended that show in an unqualified manner should be sacked.

And yes, we watched the Triumph Election Special immediately beforehand. Pretty sure Sex House is worse. Fortunately, the Hannibal comedy special served as a palate cleanser.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

MrBuddyLee posted:

There's not much worse out there than the first three episodes of Sex House. Whoever recommended that show in an unqualified manner should be sacked.

YOU'RE an unqualified manner, Sex House is amazing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Not Safe with Nikki Glaser is pretty good.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DivisionPost posted:

YOU'RE an unqualified manner, Sex House is amazing.

Plus it's 10 episodes of increasing insanity, 3 episodes in it's still Jersey Shore

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
everybody talks about Sex House and Porkin' Across America, but Lake Dredge Appraisal is the best thing the Onion's done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

everybody talks about Sex House and Porkin' Across America, but Lake Dredge Appraisal is the best thing the Onion's done.

Yep.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"I think we should break up the big banks."
"Then how are you going to access your parents' money?"

i paid for my college education

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

sbaldrick posted:

Nikki Glaser does pretty good on @Midnight, so I checked out her show. And yeah, i'll second the "It's pretty good".

The Tinder Tapout segment and the foot fetish bits, especially. Her feet are all sorts of jacked up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's probably a silly reason but I couldn't really dig @midnight after I found out that most of the jokes are prewritten.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I loved Lake Dredge Appraisal and wish it would come back. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyRqstSA-ug

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

zoux posted:

It's probably a silly reason but I couldn't really dig @midnight after I found out that most of the jokes are prewritten.

I get that. My personal breaking point with it was when Hardwick started doing a 5-minute set at the start of every show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One time he spent 5 minutes announcing that he was changing his Twitter handle.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
All three of Rory's major boyfriends (Logan, Jess, Dean) have now signed on for the Gilmore Girls revival on Netflix.

I hope they turn it into HBO's Big Love but with the genders reversed

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sbaldrick posted:

That and Sam Bee's new show are my evenings watch. I didn't even realise Nikki had a new show until last night.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

boom boom boom posted:

Actually it's this:

http://www.clickhole.com/video/heartbreakingly-adorable-watch-mother-explain-deat-2251

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

It's streaming on netflix Canada if the VPN still works.

Can't wait.

Hmmm, don't think it is. In better news, here's an article talking about what's going to go up on Hulu, including Unreal!

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/whats-new-on-hulu-february-2016.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Hmmm, don't think it is. In better news, here's an article talking about what's going to go up on Hulu, including Unreal!

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/whats-new-on-hulu-february-2016.html

Ooooh 11.22.63 is out on Monday.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

british houseofcardsman was the villain because he was powerhungry and manipulative but american houseofcardsman is the hero because he is powerhungry and manipulative

Is the british version worth watching? I liked the first five minutes of it, with the speechifying. Seemed more my speed than the stupid fantasy of what I've seen from the American version.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Was anybody else surprised that HBO Now only has 800k subscribers? I thought demand for HBO programming was way higher than that but I get that people don't want to be shelling out for a bunch of different streaming services with inconsistent device/platform support.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smg77 posted:

Was anybody else surprised that HBO Now only has 800k subscribers? I thought demand for HBO programming was way higher than that but I get that people don't want to be shelling out for a bunch of different streaming services with inconsistent device/platform support.

I imagine most people get it through their cable or one of the addon services.

Here's a trailer for Will Arnett's new comedy. The Netflix terrible trailer streak continues but it looks like it's going to waver between black comedy and existentialist drama like the other Netflix show Will Arnett is on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MkE1XDrgBs

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

Is the british version worth watching? I liked the first five minutes of it, with the speechifying. Seemed more my speed than the stupid fantasy of what I've seen from the American version.

The first season is very good. The second two are okay - not as good as far as the plot goes but mostly worth it for Ian Richardson's performance.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

boom boom boom posted:

Well yes because the latter is actually funny unlike the former two.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Gonz posted:

Nikki Glaser does pretty good on @Midnight, so I checked out her show. And yeah, i'll second the "It's pretty good".

The Tinder Tapout segment and the foot fetish bits, especially. Her feet are all sorts of jacked up.

The Tinder Tapout segment was gold

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

I imagine most people get it through their cable or one of the addon services.

Here's a trailer for Will Arnett's new comedy. The Netflix terrible trailer streak continues but it looks like it's going to waver between black comedy and existentialist drama like the other Netflix show Will Arnett is on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MkE1XDrgBs

This show looks extremely my poo poo

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Anyway, Mad Dogs is pretty legit, and I'm surprised there's not more discussion about it. It's a lot better than the original one at least, which - as the creator admits - burned through plot in the first series because he didn't think it was ever going to go longer than that.

I posted about this a couple of days ago. I'm really digging it. I'm halfway through Episode 9 at the moment.

What are peoples thoughts on The Man in the High Castle? I was recommended both of these shows by a mate and wondering if I'm gonna watch two winners in a row.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 12, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I liked it but I'm a sucker for scifi alternative realities where the Axis won WW2, and this story is kind of the grandaddy of them all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I are big Nikki Glaser fans. We saw her live last year, and she was hilarious on stage and warm and gracious after the show. The first episode of her show was solid. I was worried they were going to rip off Inside Amy Schumer completely, but the talk/variety show format works much better for her, and I look forward to more episodes.

Then again, I think Inside Amy Schumer's sketches are very uneven, and I enjoy her interviews with sex workers and people with interesting sex lives at the end of the show more than most of the sketches.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

xcore posted:

What are peoples thoughts on The Man in the High Castle? I was recommended both of these shows by a mate and wondering if I'm gonna watch two winners in a row.

Incredibly strong start and then does nothing interesting with it after that. You'll wind up rooting for the Nazis because they're the only actual interesting characters once they leave the neutral zone.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Incredibly strong start and then does nothing interesting with it after that. You'll wind up rooting for the Nazis because they're the only actual interesting characters once they leave the neutral zone.

So am I right to assume the source material is super awesome and that's what propelled the incredibly strong start, only to have the ball dropped once it was up to the show writers to take it forward with original material?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I figured that out real quick. You can't have that many comedians and especially Twitter personalities improv-ing without either filming for hours and cutting it down or having most of it pre-written. It does decrease my enjoyment of the show if I'm watching it with the idea in my head that it's pre-written.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bet most panel shows have tons of pre written stuff.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I remember totally having my mind blown realizing that talk show appearances and call-in radio bits were scripted. When I was 12.

Mu Zeta posted:

I bet most panel shows have tons of pre written stuff.

@Midnight is actually one of the better ones in that at least it's the actual people writing their own stuff ahead of time instead of getting it fed to them by an in-house writing team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Wait till you guy hear about the truth behind reality shows...

• Locked thread