Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well YOU may not be on a 56K...

They're the reason I waste GIGS of backing up my grog installs/patches on my external backup. It's infinitely faster to dig that out and run off it than to download again. This was especially true with their old downloads policy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Does anyone else in this thread own any of either of Tiller's Panzer Battles games? I really like them. I like the scale, the scenarios are interesting IMO, the rules are well spelled out (nothing hidden under the hood), and I'm a total rear end in a top hat and actually like the UI. I also like the Panzer Campaign series, but only the smaller scenarios, the larger ones are just painful to try to play out.

I own both the Panzer Battles games and a couple PzC games (Tunisia, F'14, East Prussia '14). If anyone would like to play some pbem send me a PM or something. I'm pretty poo poo at them but I'd enjoy a game with someone other than the god drat freaks that play on blitz.org who have been playing these things for 15 years and mop the floor with me.

The supplemental docs provided with the games are great too. They give a lot of insight into the design of the games and I've actually learned a fair bit about the battles themselves by reading the included pdfs.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 10, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I am bad at Combat Mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JmqAAg0W-M

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

See, this is the kind of thing that shits me about CM. As if those two tanks (well a tank and TD?) could drive so close to each other without one seeing the other. But that's not the really bad part. The really bad part is that Steve and other will argue until they're blue in the face that it's just fine, and realistic and that's that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Unimpressed posted:

See, this is the kind of thing that shits me about CM. As if those two tanks (well a tank and TD?) could drive so close to each other without one seeing the other. But that's not the really bad part. The really bad part is that Steve and other will argue until they're blue in the face that it's just fine, and realistic and that's that.

Don't forget units staring at eachother and not firing, resulting in their deaths. How many times I've ordered tanks around corners, to spot an enemy tank, and to have my tank stare at the enemy tank while it turns around and shoots my tank. Its mind boggling.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You and me both buddy

Also I have gone from "Oh my gosh why do I have so many units" To "why don't I have mortars/FOs/Recon how do you expect me to fight. I don't even."

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

The IS is clearly using an early predecessor of Caterpillar Drive. :ussr:

Phi230 posted:

Don't forget units staring at eachother and not firing, resulting in their deaths. How many times I've ordered tanks around corners, to spot an enemy tank, and to have my tank stare at the enemy tank while it turns around and shoots my tank. Its mind boggling.
This makes me wish for a non-garbage game with Close Combat levels of morale tracking. "Pz-IV H: unable to fire, gunner in the fetal position, vomiting on tank floor".

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

To be fair to the game, it's a nighttime battle in light fog, and my PzIV is buttoned and not supported by infantry. The best part is at the end of the turn that IS-2 faded back into the mist because I lost the spot on it, ha.

Overall I really borked this particular game since I didn't realize the German security battalion squads were just a bunch of guys with k98s.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AceRimmer posted:

This makes me wish for a non-garbage game with Close Combat levels of morale tracking. "Pz-IV H: unable to fire, gunner in the fetal position, vomiting on tank floor".

Oh, so Theatre of War? :v:

For clarification: That series tracked individual personnel morale, and men in tanks that broke would usually stay in the tank and refuse to do anything. And recovering morale was incredibly hard to do.

Oh, and since everyone was skilled like an RPG, that might mean the difference between someone that can actually operate the vehicle or someone who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

War in the East is 50% off on Steam, again.

Not launching Steam for a few days, I guess...

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh, so Theatre of War? :v:

For clarification: That series tracked individual personnel morale, and men in tanks that broke would usually stay in the tank and refuse to do anything. And recovering morale was incredibly hard to do.

Oh, and since everyone was skilled like an RPG, that might mean the difference between someone that can actually operate the vehicle or someone who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn
Huh, I own like three of those (original + AK/Kursk) on Steam, remember loading up the first one and the initial scenario (Poland?) chugging so bad I uninstalled. Will have to retry them on the new PC at some point I guess.

Think I'm going to buy OOB: Pacific while it's on sale. Can't seem to find a campaign tree for the game, is there a ridiculous "invade San Francisco!" scenario like in Pacific General? :mil101:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

MrYenko posted:

War in the East is 50% off on Steam, again.

Not launching Steam for a few days, I guess...

Just buy DC:Barbarossa and never worry again.

AceRimmer posted:

Huh, I own like three of those (original + AK/Kursk) on Steam, remember loading up the first one and the initial scenario (Poland?) chugging so bad I uninstalled. Will have to retry them on the new PC at some point I guess.

Think I'm going to buy OOB: Pacific while it's on sale. Can't seem to find a campaign tree for the game, is there a ridiculous "invade San Francisco!" scenario like in Pacific General? :mil101:

It is Panzer Corps but with some quality of life changes, late PzC scenario design, and also loving fronts and supply holy poo poo.

I really enjoy it, even though it runs like total rear end on my wooden laptop.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AceRimmer posted:

You could always just check my LP of the series (that ended mid-way through Kursk). Although, I did make the mistake of doing video updates for a strategy game that has some tedium in it.

As for OOB: Pacific, the campaign tree is fairly straight-forward. Think of the 10 or so most important battles/campaigns and they are almost certainly in there.

As for ridiculous scenarios...

You invade Australia and can kill MacArthur. Sydney (I think) is the last mission and takes place in 1945(?). The last specialization choice is fun

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their panzers.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

uPen posted:

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their panzers.

I don't want to open the next turn, do I?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Chump Farts posted:

I don't want to open the next turn, do I?

I'm working on your turn, you'll be fine.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The spotting in combat mission is weird. It basically strobes from every unit once every 9? seconds or so in perfect conditions so even in the day light you can get some weird blind spots. I think you are never going to have a perfect system and while cmx2 can be infuriating it is WAY better than the borg spotting of the original. Used to be you could win with only 150mm infantry guns and 82mm mortar teams. Used to be you could use a run command on a .50 cal team and sprint across the entire map to win the game. Used to be.

Now I think my only really problem with cmx2 is the lack of confusion within the tacai There was one map I was playing last year that I really liked but it started with the ambushing of a german patrol in trucks by some Brits. Unfortunately as soon as I started shooting every single German got out of the trucks and immediately started shooting exactly in the right direction even though in real life (and there was a real life, this was a historical scenario) there was enough smoke and surprise that the Germans were shooting everywhere and even at their own men, at least in the first couple of minutes. Just not something the engine supports, but then I don't think any game really does?

Anyway whomever was looking for turns from me I sent them yesterday or the day before.

Edit and just so you know I consider 75mm or above cheating with respect to Italian Tanks and I would never be so base! :)

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 11, 2016

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

uPen posted:

What is best in life?

It is dangerously easy for the German player to forget that a human Soviet opponent can actually fight back.

It's gonna be a long slog to Kiev.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I knocked out an Italian Tank with a machine gun.

I love this game.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

uPen posted:

What is best in life?

For a second I thought you were talking about the ATG game and I was thoroughly confused. Panzers? Where!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

I think it is a testament to uPen being too good at grog games that three people freaked out about his comment.

Also, Alikchi, were we still going to start a new Barbarossa game?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Chump Farts posted:

I think it is a testament to uPen being too good at grog games that three people freaked out about his comment.
uPen has murdered far too many of my panzers today. Lesson well learned.

quote:

Also, Alikchi, were we still going to start a new Barbarossa game?

Let's do it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So on the combat mission train does anybody have any advice on how to clear buildings?

Specifically Black Sea. Even if I pound a building into what should be submission before entering, some random Russian hero unloads into my men (usually who ran past him, not seeing him), and kills like 4 and causes my squad to retreat. What gives.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phi230 posted:

So on the combat mission train does anybody have any advice on how to clear buildings?

Specifically Black Sea. Even if I pound a building into what should be submission before entering, some random Russian hero unloads into my men (usually who ran past him, not seeing him), and kills like 4 and causes my squad to retreat. What gives.

Suppress it constantly with HMG and MG fire while you're moving your own guys in. Also cheat and get real close to the impact point and listen for screams of wounded enemies.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even doing that it's bad. I would argue that buildings are probably the absolute WORST part of Combat Mission.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Phi230 posted:

Just take smaller bites and move a lot slower. It can take a couple minutes for infantry to spot stuff. If you are in a hurry then overwhelming small arms fire from close in, split squads so you are using bounding overwatch, and lots of smgs.

You are going to lose men though, just accept it. Hell I just lost 5 men across 3 platoons from one of Braks 2-3 men HQ squads in some relatively sparse woods. Have to just accept it and move on.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 11, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
In Black Sea, you often have enough firepower to just take the building down completely.

If that's not possible or desirable for some reason, then I'm pretty sure that there is no friendly fire from small arms in the game. So have your fire element keep the building constantly suppressed even as your assault element enters and clears, you might get better results.

If you're using vehicles for suppression, make sure to use "target light" though, since cannon fire will destroy friendlies.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yes, there is no friendly fire from regular bullets (but there is from things that explode), so you can use that to your advantage.

15 seconds of autocannon fire on each floor of a building will usually take care of most infantry in there. You can have a BMP target the first floor for 15 seconds, then put a waypoint just a tiny bit ahead, and assign the action at that waypoint to target the second floor for 15 seconds. Rinse and repeat. You can cleanse a tall building in just a couple of turns that way.

You can also enter the ground floor with a breaching charge, which will stun anyone in there long enough for your guys to take them out.

But you will still lose guys - the simplifications the simulation makes become much more obvious in close quarters combat.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

The power of heavy armor in Advance Tactics Gold!

Also is there a good (free) image host other than imgur? It never uploads for me anymore.

edit:

What a 150 attack stack and +20% combat bonus will do.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 11, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

In Combat Mission, is there a way to make your dudes move into an area in a fashion where they're ready to return fire and continue advancing? Does the regular Move command do this?

I have good success with "assault", but working with split squads removes that option. "Hunt" has the problem of causing my troops to stop and cancel the movement order on contact.

The issue is that when I'm trying to get my troops to move into a new position, they're doing it in a kind of "relaxed" manner and end up getting slaughtered frequently when an automatic weapon opens up on them.

Maybe I'm just not suppressing enough but I feel like I'm missing something about movement.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

LogisticEarth posted:

In Combat Mission, is there a way to make your dudes move into an area in a fashion where they're ready to return fire and continue advancing? Does the regular Move command do this?

I have good success with "assault", but working with split squads removes that option. "Hunt" has the problem of causing my troops to stop and cancel the movement order on contact.

The issue is that when I'm trying to get my troops to move into a new position, they're doing it in a kind of "relaxed" manner and end up getting slaughtered frequently when an automatic weapon opens up on them.

Maybe I'm just not suppressing enough but I feel like I'm missing something about movement.

Well the old advance command did this but in cmx2 they said it was unrealistic (it was supposed to be bounding movement that you see now) so the basic answer is 'no.'

The best you are going to do is to completely split your squads yourself and manually move them up one square at a time while using the rest of the platoon to provide suppressing fire. If you are moving, move as fast as possible and if you are shooting then don't move. Eventually you will become comfortable advancing over open ground under enemy fire.

A great scenario for this in CMRT is Dawn Patrol.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LogisticEarth posted:

Moving slow will make your units move very slowly, but it will make them notice enemies better and shoot back better. At least I've noticed. Its not perfect, but it gives the desired result most of the time.

I only wish there was a "hold fire" command. Too many times my recon elements or my attempts at ambush are ruined because three guys alone will decide to fire upon an enemy company and then promptly get lit up like a pig roast on flag day.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

In Combat Mission, is there a way to make your dudes move into an area in a fashion where they're ready to return fire and continue advancing?

Depending on the extent that you're willing to micromanage, you can manually simulate this to a certain degree. You can split your teams, and then give one team movement -> pause -> movement -> pause orders, where the pause waypoints are where you expect contact. You can also put area fire from each of the waypoints if you'd like.

And you can stagger the movement between teams to simulate bounding. You just have to estimate how many seconds it will take for them to reach the next waypoint, and have the cover team pause for that long, and vice-versa.

But I find I usually don't have to go to this extent; heavy fire into buildings tends to work pretty well. But clearing buildings from a determined defender is one of the most dangerous types of missions, both in real life and in combat mission. You're

If you're new to Combat Mission, my advice would be: don't be afraid of save-scumming until you figure out what's going on. If you get murdered trying to clear out a building, load up a save and try it again in a different way, until you get a feel for what works.

Phi230 posted:

I only wish there was a "hold fire" command.
There is, it's just hidden. Give your guys a really small target arc. If you don't want to set a facing, hold down the "shift" key, and you'll get a circle. Disciplined troops will not engage contacts outside that range, unless they are under a direct threat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hiding will also have your troops hold fire, although they're spotting will be reduced somewhat.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

abelian posted:

There is, it's just hidden. Give your guys a really small target arc. If you don't want to set a facing, hold down the "shift" key, and you'll get a circle. Disciplined troops will not engage contacts outside that range, unless they are under a direct threat.

This is really important. Use it especially on artillery spotters and HQs that you don't want to see hurt. Very often spotting is dependent on whether you fire or not so it can really save your critical troops from being positively ID'd enough to get fired upon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

Moving slow will make your units move very slowly, but it will make them notice enemies better and shoot back better. At least I've noticed. Its not perfect, but it gives the desired result most of the time.

I only wish there was a "hold fire" command. Too many times my recon elements or my attempts at ambush are ruined because three guys alone will decide to fire upon an enemy company and then promptly get lit up like a pig roast on flag day.

abelian posted:

This, or give them the "Hide" command. Make sure to toggel it off if you want to have them shoot.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dtkozl posted:

The power of heavy armor in Advance Tactics Gold!

Also is there a good (free) image host other than imgur? It never uploads for me anymore.

edit:

What a 150 attack stack and +20% combat bonus will do.

Use lpix.org, its run by an SA-poster

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Assaulting buildings in Combat Mission is all about suppression, suppression and then some suppression. Unfortunately you get into situations where you can't get enough of that or you are in a hurry and find a room full of enemies. Especially when you're clearing larger compounds. Lower quality troops are easy to overrun anyway but it's terrible if you're facing some fanatics cornered within a building with SMGs. With enough hand grenades it isn't that hard, but there never is enough hand grenades. Taking it slow when moving between rooms is a good advice, it gives your men some time to sense nearby enemies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, if you have a vehicle that can hit it with relative safety, do that.

CMBN has a campaign where you start off trying to beat off the British paratrooper landings at Arnhem and its all about room/building clearing. The StuG you get is invaluable to moving forward and capturing locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The second NATO mission in Black Sea where you have to clear out a city but can't destroy buildings is one of the worst missions ever.