Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

EorayMel posted:

So, to recap:

*This all started over some bundy boys poaching deer on federal land then starting fires to hide their tracks

*Proceeded to then threaten to kill firefighters/park rangers over the matter

*Some chucklefucks took this opportunity to see this as the second American Revolution by occupying a federally-own bird conservation

*This entices 100~ more idiots to go to the conservation with firearms; some looking to play army man, others legit government hating sovcit types seeing this as their golden moment to be real patriots. All the while making videos of openly fantasizing about shooting feds.

*Sex toys and lube gets mailed to mock them

*Children are dragged there by one heinous rancher; purposely said to be used as human shields and eventually safely gotten out via Child Protective Services

*Somewhere along the line, the militia calls for support around the country to take a stand; most reply with excuses as being bound to a wheelchair or they have work. Also ex navy seals coming to support them.

*Ammon and 6~ others stupidly leave the refuge in a painfully obvious honeytrap to get arrested

*LaVoy Finnicum, the only one zealous enough to fully practice what everybody else preached, gets himself killed and immortalized as a meme because he hid underneath a tarp while being interviewed.

*Almost everybody gets the hell out of the refuge after being snapped back into reality from LaVoy's death

*Cliven takes his last flight

*Three of the final 4 peacefully leave with bagpipe celebration; David Fry holes up and teetered on the razor's edge of suicide

*Clear-cut insane ramblings from Fry

*After at least an hour of religious bullshit being shoved down Fry's throat by Fiore and Gavin using this to pad their own pockets/popularity, FBI agent Mark defuses the situation peacefully in a matter of minutes

[ultimately, all started back in 1993 over a hissy fit over grazing fees]

Right?

pretty sure that was actually krisanne hall and not fiore, otherwise this is pretty spot on

e: fiore strikes me as a populist looking for some fame/reelection/money and not an insane idiot, but i said something similar about cliven soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

EorayMel posted:

*Children are dragged there by one heinous rancher; purposely said to be used as human shields and eventually safely gotten out via Child Protective Services
There were reportedly children at the reserve at one point. CPS had nothing to do with their leaving

CPS took some kids from multiple people who WERE there, and those people appear to have taken their kids from where CPS put them and moved them somewhere else, where those kids ended up isn't clear.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Platystemon posted:

I’m saying that there’s no way Fiore eats charges. Her antics won’t get her more than a stern talking‐to. The sheriff maybe gets charged, depending on the contents of his phone calls :nsa:.

State assembly is pretty far down the totem pole, but it’s still a serious political office. Sheriff is closer to dog catcher.

Plus the sheriff is technically part of the DOJ so the FBI can really put the screws to him.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Requesting "Confound the Wicked" gang tags

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

he made for a good story - he's stopping the government from taking "his land", which is a narrative that appeals to a lot of people

not so much taking over land that belongs to federal government and calling for no public lands at all

I mean they spoke in support of the Bundys during the standoff. True, taking over the refuge was a bridge too far, but it's not like any of them deserve a pass for supporting Cliven et al during the bunkerville standoff.

Not talking about charges, but public perception and accountability.

There was that one rep from Tennessee or w/e that spoke on the House floor in support of the bundys this time around as well.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

9/11 terrorists win

2/11 counter-terrorists win

Never Forget

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

EorayMel posted:

So, to recap:

*This all started over some bundy boys poaching deer on federal land then starting fires to hide their tracks

*Some chucklefucks took this opportunity to see this as the second American Revolution by occupying a federally-own bird conservation

Right?

There's more meat to the beginning. The Hammonds were sent to prison for arson, but the feds appealed the sentence because it was too short for the mandatory minimum sentence. They were re-convicted and turned themselves in to serve the reset of the sentence in California a couple days after the whole thing started. IIRC the family apparently has no connection to the Bundies and when they did a FREDUMS march to their house, the family lawyer showed up and basically said "You don't speak for my clients, gently caress off."

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Levitate posted:

They all surrendered but we all thought Fry was going to kill himself/suicide by cop until he ate a cookie and the FBI agreed to a Hallelujah

I feel a Snickers commercial coming on...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
[quote="EorayMel" post="456157708"]

Right?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 11, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Lots of people are confusing Michelle Fiore and Krisanne Hall.

Fiore is the Nevada state representative who was on the phone with the Final Four last night, and was promising to come meet them so they could all walk out with her and give her a good photo op being the hero. She apparently actually got to the barricades today but we didn't hear much of anything from her after that.

Krisanne Hall is some crazy christian lady who was on the line with them today and who was really bad at doing anything but inadvertently fanning the flames and almost getting them killed.

As crazy a gun-nut loony as Fiore is, she actually was pretty good at talking them down from the ledge of doing something really dumb. Hall, not so much.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Krisanne hall is also a sovcit "judge", scare quotes emphasized.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

EorayMel posted:

So, to recap:

*This entices 100~ more idiots to go to the conservation with firearms; some looking to play army man, others legit government hating sovcit types seeing this as their golden moment to be real patriots. All the while making videos of openly fantasizing about shooting feds.

*Sex toys and lube gets mailed to mock them

*Somewhere along the line, the militia calls for support around the country to take a stand; most reply with excuses as being bound to a wheelchair or they have work. Also ex navy seals coming to support them.

*Ammon and 6~ others stupidly leave the refuge in a painfully obvious honeytrap to get arrested

*LaVoy Finnicum, the only one zealous enough to fully practice what everybody else preached, gets himself killed and immortalized as a meme because he hid underneath a tarp while being interviewed.

*Almost everybody gets the hell out of the refuge after being snapped back into reality from LaVoy's death

*Cliven takes his last flight

*Three of the final 4 peacefully leave with bagpipe celebration; David Fry holes up and teetered on the razor's edge of suicide

*Clear-cut insane ramblings from Fry

*After at least an hour of religious bullshit being shoved down Fry's throat by Fiore and Gavin using this to pad their own pockets/popularity, FBI agent Mark defuses the situation peacefully in a matter of minutes

[ultimately, all started back in 1993 over a hissy fit over grazing fees]

Right?

Bundy's are from Nevada, the Hammonds (firebugs) are in Oregon and are unconnected to the Bundy's, aside from being cast in the same hosed-up mold.
The 100+ militia were just there for a rally supporting the Hammonds. The occupation just started with 1-2 dozen of them (Ammon tried to co-opt the rally to buff his headcount numbers).
The refuge's numbers grow somewhat during the next few weeks. The arrest implodes them to a handful.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

C.M. Kruger posted:

There's more meat to the beginning. The Hammonds were sent to prison for arson, but the feds appealed the sentence because it was too short for the mandatory minimum sentence. They were re-convicted and turned themselves in to serve the reset of the sentence in California a couple days after the whole thing started. IIRC the family apparently has no connection to the Bundies and when they did a FREDUMS march to their house, the family lawyer showed up and basically said "You don't speak for my clients, gently caress off."

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clear up

Well, this standoff is officially over, right? All that's left now is what's gonna happen to everybody arrested. Having been following that much to this incident so I don't know if anybody got their court cases yet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Discendo Vox posted:

That was Hall, not Fiore.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

This is now the SECOND best part of this whole incident (because; Cliven)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

That was Hall, not Fiore.

thanks, but I'll just delete it. I'm not gonna hold that up as a record, it's much to short and I'm headed into the office.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
HAHAHAHA. Fry just made national npr news.
FBI (maybe Mark?): "Hallelujah! Put your hands behind you back..."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EorayMel posted:

Well, this standoff is officially over, right? All that's left now is what's gonna happen to everybody arrested. Having been following that much to this incident so I don't know if anybody got their court cases yet.

There are no militants remaining at the refuge.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

There are no militants remaining at the refuge.
Just poo poo, garbage, and dildos.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is it normal, negotiation-wise, for the person(s) to initially demand all sorts of Big Things in exchange for leaving, only to really just want small things? Or is it more of a case that the dude was just really hungry and tired?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Is it normal, negotiation-wise, for the person(s) to initially demand all sorts of Big Things in exchange for leaving, only to really just want small things? Or is it more of a case that the dude was just really hungry and tired?

That's how real negotiations work, but most people in this sort of negotiation are batshit crazy so who knows.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Can someone remind me what Blaine Cooper did? Googling just leads to people talking about how he was just arrested and at this point I've lost track of some of the idiots involved in this whole mess.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
For those who missed it, NPR has the whole morning stream up:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/11/466394039/listen-final-occupier-refusing-to-leave-oregon-wildlife-refuge

The "hallelujah" moment is at 3:13

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SubponticatePoster posted:

And lube.

Lots of lube.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MisterBibs posted:

Sort of. You ask for 20 billion dollars and an airplane, and you get a hallelujah and a cookie (Fry is mentally unstable in addition to being sleep deprived so he was even less in his right mind).

e:

A Winner is Jew posted:

And lube.

Lots of lube.
You don't know that :quagmire:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Entropic posted:

As crazy a gun-nut loony as Fiore is, she actually was pretty good at talking them down from the ledge of doing something really dumb. Hall, not so much.

I'm not sure Fiore would have done much better with Fry, and KrisAnne was mostly fine when talking to the other 3, it's just that Fry wasn't quite the same brand of crazy as them so the things they were saying weren't really resonating with him

e: to some extent it seems like Fry kind of just wanted SOMETHING in return for surrendering, even if it was just the FBI saying Hallelujah because he asked and maybe getting a pizza

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Discendo Vox posted:

Krisanne hall is also a sovcit "judge", scare quotes emphasized.

Seriously? I want to see videos of her "courtroom" in action.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Not these assholes again: Federal Building seize Bundy, sons, Militia

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MisterBibs posted:

It's probably fairly common for people in those situations to want to just feel like they're getting something, anything, that they're asking for so that they can feel like they're saving face and not just giving in when they come out.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

But... there aren't any militants remaining at the refuge. :confused:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

EorayMel posted:

I missed this, how'd they get tricked?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Stultus Maximus posted:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/11/466394039/listen-final-occupier-refusing-to-leave-oregon-wildlife-refuge

quote:

KrisAnne Hall, an activist on the call who was trying to persuade Fry to leave, told him the country is filled with people who share his goals.

"You're not the only one that is fighting," she said.

"Well, I'm the only one who's still here," Fry responded.

Hah

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I think its more that they tricked themselves into thinking they could just freely travel across the US unimpeded after what they did.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

pathetic little tramp posted:

I missed this, how'd they get tricked?

It wasn't actually a trap they were just dumb. A bunch of the leadership left the refuge together in one vehicle after telling everyone publicly where they were going and when, and they got stopped.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I mean they spoke in support of the Bundys during the standoff. True, taking over the refuge was a bridge too far, but it's not like any of them deserve a pass for supporting Cliven et al during the bunkerville standoff.

Not talking about charges, but public perception and accountability.
Sure, I was just talking about WHY this time is different. Narrative sucks a lot by comparison.

quote:

There was that one rep from Tennessee or w/e that spoke on the House floor in support of the bundys this time around as well.
i did not hear about that

CrazyJew
Jan 10, 2009

I was not on wheel watch.
Slippery Tilde

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=616S8t9tek4&t=5297s

Found it on the last stream video. Hallelujah indeed and cookies all around.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Not these assholes again: Federal Building seize Bundy, sons, Militia

HALLELUJAH

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Entropic posted:

It wasn't actually a trap they were just dumb. A bunch of the leadership left the refuge together in one vehicle after telling everyone publicly where they were going and when, and they got stopped.

I want to say it was two vehicles but that's fairly immaterial to the main point.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thump! posted:

But... there aren't any militants remaining at the refuge. :confused:
:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sort of. You ask for 20 billion dollars and an airplane, and you get a hallelujah and a cookie (Fry is mentally unstable in addition to being sleep deprived so he was even less in his right mind).

Granted I Am Not a Psychologist, but I think when you get in that mind set you start making big demands that some part of you knows is unreasonable (in his case, to never pay taxes and for the government to stop mutating people) but most of all they any personal victory at all, no matter how minor. Hence why he was able to walk away alive with a cookie, a promise of a pizza, and a hallelujah from the feds.

During the stream itself, this thread exploded when he mentioned he was a messianic jew and everyone in the stream got real quiet. I don't really know anything about Messianic Judaism so I don't understand the whole subtext of the statement aside from the very face value. Are messianic Jews big on the martyrdom thing?

• Locked thread