Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

cowofwar posted:

Why not just work to reduce the cost of healthcare? Less interventional care and more hospice/palliative care.

Just because we can treat stage 4 metastatic cancer doesn't mean we should treat stage 4 metastatic cancer in a 95 year old to gain 2 months.

DEATH

PANELS

Who are we to say to that 95 year old that those 2 months arent worth it!

We should but WHO ARE WE?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just FYI, no one in BC gives a gently caress about the east coast.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Just raise taxes on pensioners who are in hospital beds, not like they need the money anyways.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Cultural Imperial posted:

Just FYI, no one in BC gives a gently caress about the east coast.

Does anyone give a gently caress about the east coast?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

triplexpac posted:

Does anyone give a gently caress about the east coast?

Evidence from the east coast suggests not.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Without the east coast we wouldn't have our thriving Anne of Green Gables industry.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If things go to poo poo I hope the Maritimes revert to some sort of Viking-esque reaving society, I would probably commit to a beard finally if it were socially acceptable to braid it with bird skulls

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

vyelkin posted:

The best part about the Maritimes' inevitable doom is that all their problems would be solved if they were just less racist, but instead all the old white Maritimers got together and decided they would rather let their provinces suffer a slow and painful death than let any nonwhite immigrants in.And when journalists go and ask them about it, they have no justification for it. They say stuff like "Oh yeah, I'm very concerned about the aging population, who's going to pay for my healthcare after I retire???" and then the journalist asks them about immigration and they say "gently caress off we're full" in slightly nicer language.

Thankfully this is where Newfoundland has differentiated itself from the Maritimes. NL has several communities clamoring for refugees to fill the space that the lack of young has caused.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The ratio of young to old must remain a solid 5:1

Sorry olds, you should've taken your advice you give to young people and saved your money

Death is certain.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Send all the syrian refugees to the east coast, problem solved

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Send all the syrian refugees to the east coast, problem solved

They're refugees, they don't deserve to be treated as harshly as that.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Gotta create a market for halalibut.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The halalibut in Halalifax is awesome but the bars are all closed because beer is haram.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/canada-average-wage-declines-led-by-resource-rich-provinces/article28715838/

quote:

The average wage across Canada declined last year, with pay in resource rich Saskatchewan and Newfoundland and Labrador dropping the most, according to new government data.

The average hourly pay in the country eased 3 per cent to $18.45 in the first nine months of 2015. In Saskatchewan, the average hourly wage dropped 9 per cent to $18.30 and in Newfoundland and Labrador earnings declined 10 per cent to $18.10.

In oil-centric Alberta, pay eased 5 per cent to $18.90. British Columbia, which has a healthier economy, saw average earnings fall 5 per cent to $17.65.

Nationally, wages dropped in manufacturing, transportation, trades and sales. On the east coast, hourly wages for managers and sales people declined. Likewise in Saskatchewan, a province beset by weak oil and potash prices, hourly wages for managers fell by a third.

Alberta saw hourly wages drop in the finance and business sector as well as sales and government services.

Unsurprisingly, the data showed a steady decline in job vacancies in Alberta and Saskatchewan as the provinces continue to deal with the fallout from the oil slump.

Thousands of people have been laid off in the energy sector and beyond since crude prices plunged 70 per cent over the past year and a half.

Alberta’s job vacancy rate fell to 3.1 per cent in the third quarter from 3.5 per cent in the first quarter. Saskatchewan’s vacancy rate fell to 2.4 per cent from 3 per cent over the same period.

The Job Vacancy and Wage Survey is a new survey for Statistics Canada, with data dating back only to the first quarter of 2015. It is released four months after the government’s monthly labour force survey.

January’s report painted a bleak picture of Alberta’s labour market. The western province’s jobless rate is now 7.4 per cent, higher than the national rate for the first time in nearly three decades.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Wait, you're telling me there's still more Canada east of Montreal?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HookShot posted:

Wait, you're telling me there's still more Canada east of Montreal?

There's Bonhommia, Lobsterton, and Gableville, yeah.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Apparently mennonites are scouting PEI snd the east coast for farming land since real estate is so retarded in Ontario that the young men can't get a hold of any land.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
It's been pretty much three years to the day since this thread was created. It's pretty amusing to go back and read the initial few pages - just about everyone (including myself) is virtually certain that the housing market was at that very moment undergoing its last few dying gasps. Gotta give the bulls credit - things have played out in their favour to an extent even the wildest optimist wouldn't have predicted.

At least in terms of housing... USDCAD was almost exactly 1.00 back then.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
EVERYONE WANTS TO MOVE HERE

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

EVERYONE WANTS TO MOVE THEIR LAUNDERED MONEY HERE

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cowofwar posted:

Why not just work to reduce the cost of healthcare? Less interventional care and more hospice/palliative care.

Just because we can treat stage 4 metastatic cancer doesn't mean we should treat stage 4 metastatic cancer in a 95 year old to gain 2 months.

Most doctors recommend that you don't do chemo and radiation after the age of 75 as it's going to kill you faster then any cancer you have. One of those dirty little secrets of the healthcare industry.

Why we do hip and knee replacements on 75+ year olds I don't know.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lexicon posted:

It's been pretty much three years to the day since this thread was created. It's pretty amusing to go back and read the initial few pages - just about everyone (including myself) is virtually certain that the housing market was at that very moment undergoing its last few dying gasps. Gotta give the bulls credit - things have played out in their favour to an extent even the wildest optimist wouldn't have predicted.

Yeah, this is exactly what's stuck in my head. I'm looking to buy real estate in Calgary, but holy poo poo things look bleak, and I'd hate to miss out on a crashed market.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, this is exactly what's stuck in my head. I'm looking to buy real estate in Calgary, but holy poo poo things look bleak, and I'd hate to miss out on a crashed market.

I think one big reality that has been lost on many of the individuals in this thread including myself is the political centrality of housing. It isn't like any other asset class - it's special cased at every level of government and is absolutely central [rightly or wrongly] to culture in this country. Obviously much of the currency drop is related to the commodity crash, but it's increasingly clear that the political forces in this country will do just about anything to protect nominal present values, as well as growth, in the price of housing, even if that means sacrificing the currency, or social services, or what have you. You can't say that about any other asset class, and you also can't capture the value of this in a price:rent ratio.

So three years hence, there's a pretty great chance you buying in Calgary now was the right move.

-- someone who rents a condo in Vancouver

Crowbite
Apr 9, 2015

sbaldrick posted:

Because we don't like having people live with crippling pain and have even lower mobility then the elderly already do. I guess we could death panel them because the pain is likely to end their lives sooner.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

Yep its pretty nuts. The markets are inherently irrational because that's the way people are. Bull markets can have some pretty long runs. I mean even some of the absolute craziest stock speculation trends have gone on 5-10 years. I don't think there's any question real estate in many areas is detached from fundamentals but trying to predict when and how it will tumble is as pointless as trying to predict stock market volatility.

I look at our house as a place to live instead of an investment, if I get some equity out of it one day then wonderful. I wish we could've bought it cheaper when the HELOC/Audi finance types had defaulted after some sort of well deserved RE armageddon but oh well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

If you are trying to buy real estate in Albertan metro areas you would be doing what's commonly called knife catching.

I think the Albertan metro area real estate will get burned first and have a price correction over a 2-3 year period especially if the oil crash price continues.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

sbaldrick posted:

Most doctors recommend that you don't do chemo and radiation after the age of 75 as it's going to kill you faster then any cancer you have. One of those dirty little secrets of the healthcare industry.

My Gran is 75, has recently had both knees replaced, and is likely healthier and more active than half the goons in this thread. We do it so these people can have a better quality of life for another 1-25 years.

If we're going to start denying medical services for perceived lost causes, how about start with the smokers and fatties?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lets start with the albertan minister of health

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Ya gently caress hip & knee replacements. Why would we invest all those resources in quality of life procedures that allow seniors to remain mobile, and healthy?

Knee shot? STRAIGHT TO HOSPICE!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
If it's good enough for a race horse it's good enough for gram

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

As an outsider, has the loon depreciating by 30% had a noticeable impact on the day-to-day lives of Canadians?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

shrike82 posted:

As an outsider, has the loon depreciating by 30% had a noticeable impact on the day-to-day lives of Canadians?

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/01/canada-luxury-car-sales-figures-december-2015-year-end.html

http://media.gm.ca/media/ca/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/ca/en/2016/Feb/0202_Sales-February.html

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

etalian posted:

If you are trying to buy real estate in Albertan metro areas you would be doing what's commonly called knife catching.

I think the Albertan metro area real estate will get burned first and have a price correction over a 2-3 year period especially if the oil crash price continues.

Well I'm buying it as a place to live rather than an explicit investment, so I can ride out any further price volatility over the next few years. Just trying to avoid buying at the peak of things, but god drat am I ever looking forward to moving.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PittTheElder posted:

Well I'm buying it as a place to live rather than an explicit investment, so I can ride out any further price volatility over the next few years. Just trying to avoid buying at the peak of things, but god drat am I ever looking forward to moving.

Can't tell if this is satire or not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shrike82 posted:

I don't buy anything online anymore and most imported stuff at the grocery store has gone up. That's about it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't get it. Sales have gone up?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

Cost of living is up, well past regular inflation. Almost anything imported is noticeable more expensive.

Has it actually impacted anyone? Anecdotally it just seems like people borrow more money to maintain the same lifestyle and the banks are all too happy to enable that behavior. I regret leaving IT for the accounting world awhile ago, its depressing seeing how close to the margin many people live despite outward appearances suggesting otherwise.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
More than ever, canadians are buying new cars, especially luxury cars.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

shrike82 posted:

Even the poorest person is still bootstraping themselves into an iPhone still when the outright cost is $1200 CAD for the mid storage option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jm20 posted:

Even the poorest person is still bootstraping themselves into an iPhone still when the outright cost is $1200 CAD for the mid storage option

Well it's the other cost of the cheap loonie, canadian newspapers crow how the cheap loonie will save the economy but forget it makes anything from stronger currency nations much more expensive.