Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Does it work with the rifle? Because if so...:shepface:

Rupture works with the rifle (and only costs one Action Point), so odds are good! I rolled Lightning Reflexes on somebody, which as far as I know no longer exists as a trainable skill??? I don't mean Shadowstep. I mean Lightning Reflexes -- ignore the first reaction shot made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do I need to research to get tier 2 sniper rifles and cannons (and grenade launchers) anyway?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Tae posted:

How do I have, in the entire skill pool of both Xcoms and EW, do I have 3 hunker downs. Goddamnit.

huh?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wilekat posted:

Rupture works with the rifle (and only costs one Action Point), so odds are good! I rolled Lightning Reflexes on somebody, which as far as I know no longer exists as a trainable skill??? I don't mean Shadowstep. I mean Lightning Reflexes -- ignore the first reaction shot made.

Yep. Lightning Reflexes is only available as a random AWC skill. I just got it on one of my grenadiers which is actually pretty nice. If there is just one enemy with overwatch up, moving to a better position to force them to waste it can be a very good use of an action.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Wilekat posted:

Yeah, Lightning Reflexes got grandfathered as a hidden ability, I had it on a Grenadier.

^^^^^^ :):hf::)

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 11, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AWC RNG

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Xcom 2 multiplayer sure as hell isn't polished though. I bet any bug that exists in the campaign exists here as well, on top of some ones exclusive to it. Basic stuff like the turn timer seems to glitch out on a regular basis. The game also seems to handle two players being in control poorly; sometimes it gives me vision of enemy units when I definitely should not have it.

But goddamn when it actually works its so much fun. Being able to take all the aliens from single player under your wing is a blast. The new terrain destruction is amazing for multiplayer since it lets you gently caress with so many tactics that people rely on in single player. You know how you always want to grab the high ground? In multiplayer its usually the opposite. Grabbing the high ground is an invitation to get your squad blown through the floor by a grenade. Its hilarious.

I tried it with a friend.

It did not 'work' for all the 3 tries we did, with multiple positioning bugs, turns taking ages to pass, etc.

So we decided to level a map with 5 sectopods and a gatekeeper. The game crashed midway :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tae posted:

AWC RNG

Everyone gets hunker down. Be more specific if you mean a particular skill.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Tae posted:

AWC RNG

I think he means that ranger ability if you don't attack? Dang that sucks :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tae posted:

AWC RNG

Hunker down is a command not a skill. :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Perestroika posted:

They also have a pretty nasty melee attack that heals them for the damage done. Only reason I managed to get the first one I went up against down in time was because my sniper decided to crit for some 20 damage when the armour was up.

The Gateway attack where they raise all the zombies does 7 damage in a huge area, and then they have a crazy powerful laser beam that does like 13 damage even before crits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tae posted:

How do I have, in the entire skill pool of both Xcoms and EW, do I have 3 hunker downs. Goddamnit.

Hunker down is nice for snipers! Kind of.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh wait poo poo, is gauss weapon research the thing for tier 2 sniper and gunner stuff?

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

The Gateway attack where they raise all the zombies does 7 damage in a huge area, and then they have a crazy powerful laser beam that does like 13 damage even before crits.

The last time a gatekeeper used that ability for me it shot it at it's own team, killing off a chryssalid and an andromedon, leaving me very confused. I didn't even know what happened until I eventually took control of one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RBA Starblade posted:

What do I need to research to get tier 2 sniper rifles and cannons (and grenade launchers) anyway?

I know gauss weapons gives you the tier 2 sniper rifle. Grenade launcher upgrade is...I think the autopsy on the robot enemy you first encounter. Forget their names.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Gauss Weapons. I think the grenade launcher is from an autopsy, don't remember which one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
MEC autopsy.
Whoops

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 11, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Had to google it, it's the Muton autopsy. Which also unlocks Plasma Grenades, so, uh, that's a priority research right there I guess.

Fangz posted:

MEC autopsy.
MECs unlock the GREMLIN upgrade.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr. Whale posted:

The last time a gatekeeper used that ability for me it shot it at it's own team, killing off a chryssalid and an andromedon, leaving me very confused. I didn't even know what happened until I eventually took control of one.

Gotta have corpses before you can raise corpses :haw:

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Huh. I was just shot down to do a base defense mission, and that Dark Event wasn't even in the game. Did I screw something up to have this happen?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Advanced Grenade Launcher is a proving grounds project that comes from mutons, along with plasma grenades.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

-Dethstryk- posted:

Huh. I was just shot down to do a base defense mission, and that Dark Event wasn't even in the game. Did I screw something up to have this happen?

I'm pretty sure if you fly past the UFO's on the map even when there's not a Hunt dark event active they can lock onto you.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

XCOM 2 mods looking good so far

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If XCOM1 and 2 have taught me anything, it is that RPGs and hand grenades are the cure for alien invasion

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Well hot drat, thank you!

Related, if you save someone to the character pool and then later make adjustments and re-save them, is it revising them in your pool or making duplicate variations of the same individual?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Hi everyone! Here's my :siren:Overwatch All:siren: mod!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621695447

quote:

Adds the ability to put all remaining soldiers with action points on Overwatch.

Inspired by and based on the Evac All mod. Thanks tracktwo!

Caveats:

* This mod has been tested and seems to work fine, but it's still new. If you are worried about your campaign, please do back up your saves before using this mod.

* This mod works with existing save games, but will only take effect at the start of new missions. If you load up an existing save in the middle of a mission, the Overwatch All ability will not be available.

* For sharpshooters, this mod attempts to perform Long Watch, Overwatch, and then Pistol Overwatch if neither of the first two are available.

* A non-sharpshooter unit that has no ammo can still use the Overwatch All ability. All other available units will be set to Overwatch, and control will return to the given unit.

Hope you all enjoy! Let me know if you spot any issues, and please do thumb and favorite if you like it. Thanks!

whoknew fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 11, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I am really hoping this ADVENT forge story mission clears Avatar progress, seeing as I'm 1 day from loss by teching over story.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So, this is reddit of course, but: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/44qkn9/xcom_2_tech_tree_wip_possible_spoilers/

Apparently, the Faceless autopsy can be completed instantly once you have 3 corpses around, which unlocks Mimic Beacons. A Mimic Beacon costs 2. Meaning the autopsy is useless until you can complete it instantly.

Edit: Never mind, I somehow managed to overlook the obvious link to newer information, it's 4+ corpses for instant autopsy if you aren't playing on easy. https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/452s9b/updated_xcom_2_tech_tree_v4_spoilers/ :downs:

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 11, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

victrix posted:

If XCOM1 and 2 have taught me anything, it is that RPGs and hand grenades are the cure for alien invasion

"Always have a backup plan. If you've got a rocket launcher, you've got a backup plan." ~ John "Beaglerush" Teasdale

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The most valuable thing I learned from Beagle is to save explosives for last as a guarantee, unless you're loving up cover.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Have the LW guys said anything about doing more modding for this game? Or are they focused on their own game?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How do you strip modifications off a weapon once you have the relevant continent bonus?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

poptart_fairy posted:

How do you strip modifications off a weapon once you have the relevant continent bonus?

I don't think you can strip them, you can only replace them with other mods and the replaced mod will reappear in your inventory.

Might look into fixing this in a mod...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Are there "bad" abilities to be avoided in this game? Or any must have picks, for any class.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Moola posted:

XCOM 2 mods looking good so far

I AM NOT A FACELESS IN DISGUISE. WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?

I've seen things, man...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

whoknew posted:

I don't think you can strip them, you can only replace them with other mods and the replaced mod will reappear in your inventory.

Might look into fixing this in a mod...

Agh, my OCD. :negative:

An auto-loader and expanded magazine sniper is hilarious. My girl killed two Andromedons, a Heavy Lancer and two Mutons in one round. Kind of sad I Am Become Death only required three kills...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Are there "bad" abilities to be avoided in this game? Or any must have picks, for any class.

There are very few bad abilities this time. Blademaster Rangers drop off in the lategame, but you can respec soldiers in this, so it's not a huge deal, and some people love them anyway.

Some abilities seem kind of crappy given the way I play, like the one that gives a Sharpshooter an aim bonus on their next shot after they hunker down (I almost never hunker down), but some players could still get use out of those, and if you get an Advanced Warfare Center "hidden skill" that automatically hunkers you down if you don't shoot, it suddenly becomes awesome.

Basically, take abilities that sound useful for how you want to use the soldier and you honestly can't go wrong.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

whoknew posted:

Hi everyone! Here's my :siren:Overwatch All:siren: mod!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621695447

Hope you all enjoy! Let me know if you spot any issues, and please do thumb and favorite if you like it. Thanks!

Very nice! I'll give this a shot.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Gunslinger Sharpshooters are amazing, but I so deeply love Kill Zone. Especially for priming an ambush. Go ahead and scatter, fuckers, I've got you all in my sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Gyshall posted:

Very nice! I'll give this a shot.

Thanks! Please let me know if you have any comments or issues. Seems to work great for me and is saving A LOT of time, given the un-moddable delays after a character's actions are done.