Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It hasn't really affected me directly yet other than groceries going up (I'm pretty sure domestic stuff has taken advantage to also raise their prices) but the next time I have to buy a new pair of race skis I'm probably going to cry a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

jm20 posted:

Even the poorest person is still bootstraping themselves into an iPhone still when the outright cost is $1200 CAD for the mid storage option

have consumer products like the iPhone gone up noticeably in price?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ikantski posted:

Can't tell if this is satire or not.

It isn't.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Put it this way: when the iPhone 6s came out, the iPhone 6 did not drop in price as is typical for last years model. Instead the 6s costs $300 more.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

shrike82 posted:

the base model iPhone, to buy outright, when I bought my 5S when it came out, it was $650USD/$720CAD. The 6S is $650USD/$900CAD. The storage upgrades scale higher too, it's +$100USD/$130CAD for each upgrade.

e: the situation is similar for Google Nexus, and Samsung Galaxy phones.

Also, Blackberrys :psyduck:

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 11, 2016

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Lexicon posted:

I think one big reality that has been lost on many of the individuals in this thread including myself is the political centrality of housing. It isn't like any other asset class - it's special cased at every level of government and is absolutely central [rightly or wrongly] to culture in this country. Obviously much of the currency drop is related to the commodity crash, but it's increasingly clear that the political forces in this country will do just about anything to protect nominal present values, as well as growth, in the price of housing, even if that means sacrificing the currency, or social services, or what have you. You can't say that about any other asset class, and you also can't capture the value of this in a price:rent ratio.

So three years hence, there's a pretty great chance you buying in Calgary now was the right move.

-- someone who rents a condo in Vancouver

I think what you've said is true, but I think it's also very clear that the Canadian economy is in much worse shape (or at least perceived to be) than it was 3 years ago, and the short-mid term prospects for it are dismal at best. I'm still deeply skeptical of the ability of the Canadian government to maintain housing prices as a tiny boat in much larger economic seas.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Congratulations omg so exciting!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

THC posted:

Put it this way: when the iPhone 6s came out, the iPhone 6 did not drop in price as is typical for last years model. Instead the 6s costs $300 more.

Hey, if people can continue affording iPhones in Canada I guess things ain't that terrible.

We've seen a similar spike in prices in Mexico, where the dollar is up 30% YoY against the peso. It has dampened iEnthusiasm quite a bit (not that many people could afford them in the first place).

Edit: if it makes you feel better, the CAD has been gaining on the Mexican peso these past weeks. That should make at least some of your produce cheaper.

Freezer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 12, 2016

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

blah_blah posted:

I think what you've said is true, but I think it's also very clear that the Canadian economy is in much worse shape (or at least perceived to be) than it was 3 years ago, and the short-mid term prospects for it are dismal at best. I'm still deeply skeptical of the ability of the Canadian government to maintain housing prices as a tiny boat in much larger economic seas.

I hear you on the skepticism, but imagine the skepticism of yourself, in 2013, being told to imagine that the currency and natural resources in general would collapse by 2016, and yet even still the housing market would be going gangbusters to a degree far beyond the state of 2013.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
This thread is coming up on three years of panicking about the sky falling any day now.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

I hear you on the skepticism, but imagine the skepticism of yourself, in 2013, being told to imagine that the currency and natural resources in general would collapse by 2016, and yet even still the housing market would be going gangbusters to a degree far beyond the state of 2013.

Three years ago I already thought the housing market had disassociated from the actual economy, so I probably would nod to myself. Of course then the dawning horror, of what a housing market actually for real being disassociated from the actual economy means, would hit me and would probably ruin my day.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Software has become extremely expensive if you buy online.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

This thread is coming up on three years of panicking about the sky falling any day now.

In all fairness this thread hasn't talked about the greatness of putin and how you should invest in gold bars.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Also the sky is kinda falling, now. It just took a long time for the coyote to look down and realize it'd run off the edge of a cliff.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The world's equity markets are officially now in bear territory.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ZShakespeare posted:

everyone in here have been bears for a long time. It's like those guys saying the housing bubble in the US was going to pop in 2005.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
There's a world of difference between raising the alarm on unsound lending practices and predicting the exact timing of an economic event

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I still remember when I told people I was moving to Winnipeg 3 years ago when oil prices were at 120 a barrel and people in my personal life were telling me I was an idiot for not trying to find work in Calgary and said I was being pessimistic when I said I didn't want to have to move again when the bubble bursts.

loving called it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

Did you realize that Alberta now has the highest unemployment rate in 30 years and it's only getting worse?

It's a real recession and most market forces point to low oil over the next few years.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Besides being rich, I can't really think of any industry in Canada that has good job prospects on a ten year horizon. Literally, nothing. Yes, there are careers you could get into and then seek employment outside of Canada, such as software, but nothing that is going to remain stable domestically and nothing that will sufficiently take up demand.

I'm really glad I don't have children or a partner to worry about. During our last major recessions rents were still very cheap and wages higher than they are today. :smith:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Agriculture will probably not suffer too terribly from all this, if only because the price of fuel is going down and it's cheaper and easier to haul stuff now that the rails aren't all filled with oil cars.

Of course, you won't make any money actually farming, the trick is to get into one of the associated buisnesses.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rime posted:

Besides being rich, I can't really think of any industry in Canada that has good job prospects on a ten year horizon. Literally, nothing. Yes, there are careers you could get into and then seek employment outside of Canada, such as software, but nothing that is going to remain stable domestically and nothing that will sufficiently take up demand.

I'm really glad I don't have children or a partner to worry about. During our last major recessions rents were still very cheap and wages higher than they are today. :smith:

Given demographics I think a lot of healthcare related-occupations are a pretty safe bet.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Rime posted:

Besides being rich, I can't really think of any industry in Canada that has good job prospects on a ten year horizon. Literally, nothing.

Assuming a significant recession I'd think the police will need additional members.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

sbaldrick posted:

Why we do hip and knee replacements on 75+ year olds I don't know.

It has something to do with the failure rates I believe

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Software doesn't pay as much up here as the US but it will certainly be a good-enough industry/profession even if you stay in Canada working for a Canadian company.

The real money is in extracting money from the wealthy foreigners buying our property.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

blah_blah posted:

Given demographics I think a lot of healthcare related-occupations are a pretty safe bet.

This is exactly why I got out of IT and into healthcare. Everyone gets sick and old and not a drat thing will change that!

The job will certainly become way more depressing when/if we move to a privatized system like the US though. :smith:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Vehementi posted:

Software doesn't pay as much up here as the US but it will certainly be a good-enough industry/profession even if you stay in Canada working for a Canadian company.

The real money is in extracting money from the wealthy foreigners buying our property.

I think you underestimate the fallout coming from DotCom 2.0 imploding. We're already seeing it start and it's going to be grim for our local cron job industry.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well, I land in Victoria on the 16th, scouting out airbnbs right now. Need to get a job post haste. :11tea: Also we've pretty much decided to buy a condo in Langford or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Throatwarbler posted:

Well, I land in Victoria on the 16th, scouting out airbnbs right now. Need to get a job post haste. :11tea: Also we've pretty much decided to buy a condo in Langford or something.

Enjoy your hellish commute and environment. I also can't think of a worst investment in greater victoria than a langford condo. Why not rent somewhere a bit more central until you find a job then if you are absolutely set on a condo (why????) get something at least in the same general district as your work?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pro tip:
When you move for work don't buy, rent for a year or two to see if the new job works out.

Also renting in the area before buying will give you a better clue on things like neighborhoods and also traffic conditions.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Baronjutter posted:

Enjoy your hellish commute and environment. I also can't think of a worst investment in greater victoria than a langford condo. Why not rent somewhere a bit more central until you find a job then if you are absolutely set on a condo (why????) get something at least in the same general district as your work?

Yeah I'll rent for a bit until I get things figured out.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah I'll rent for a bit until I get things figured out.

Yes this is the best plan after you move, rent at least 1 to 2 years in the new city before buying

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

HookShot posted:

Wait, you're telling me there's still more Canada east of Montreal?

My Canada stops just east of Canmore.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Wait - you moved there without a job lined up?

Did you not read this thread?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pixelboy posted:

My Canada stops just east of Canmore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qneD11pj4Y0 :canada:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Hahaha hahaha yes buy a condo in Langford lol :twisted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some more happy news:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/11/investing/oil-price-crash/

US oil futures fell below $26 dollars per barrel

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Rime posted:

I think you underestimate the fallout coming from DotCom 2.0 imploding. We're already seeing it start and it's going to be grim for our local cron job industry.

Just make sure you work for an established company with actual revenue? Maybe do a tiny bit of legwork and try to determine whether their business is sustainable? Whether their stock price is ridiculous?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Vehementi posted:

Just make sure you work for an established company with actual revenue? Maybe do a tiny bit of legwork and try to determine whether their business is sustainable? Whether their stock price is ridiculous?

If the title has "Web", "Social", or "-master" in the name.... it won't end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Just advertise yourself as a 'full stack developer' and you're safe. You will be on payroll until all the half stack devs are shown the door.