Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most likely a fluke. 117 battles isn't all that many. He's less than 10 "lucky" wins above 45% in that tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Most likely a fluke. 117 battles isn't all that many. He's less than 10 "lucky" wins above 45% in that tank.

yeah, the balance weight of the CDC is very low when you consider what it can do to help a match and the hp buffer it brings. An FCM, otoh, means the other team can bring an IS-3, in all likelihood

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Also, how does one even achieve a sub-40% win rate in ANY tank? Wouldn't you have to platoon with a couple other people and all three of you literally do nothing... like just sit there? Or maybe even actively shoot your teammates?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

M.C. McMic posted:

Also, how does one even achieve a sub-40% win rate in ANY tank? Wouldn't you have to platoon with a couple other people and all three of you literally do nothing... like just sit there? Or maybe even actively shoot your teammates?

You need to intentionally sabotage your good teammates, or platoon with two others in tanks that have a higher chance to sink your team. 3 useless tier 8s in a tier 10 match? Whatever. 3 useless tier 8 pref matchmaking tanks? Much bigger impact. 3 useless tier 10 players? Triple ARMED E-100 platoons can torpedo a team.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tanks players are scum.

stealing this but changing the gender

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

T95E6 trip report - ugly as sin, giant UFO on top of the turret, ammo rack in the LFP, kind of slow. Nice bouncy turret front other than the giant UFO, adequate gun.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

M.C. McMic posted:

My experience in the CDC tells me it just means you have to hit the "Battle" button and try to help your team win to achieve the illustrious honor of a 35% win rate with a tank. Then stop playing it around 50 games because you aren't into hurting yourself as you thought you were.

reL
May 20, 2007

TracerM17 posted:

My experience in the CDC tells me it just means you have to hit the "Battle" button and try to help your team win to achieve the illustrious honor of a 35% win rate with a tank. Then stop playing it around 50 games because you aren't into hurting yourself as you thought you were.

But you're still playing tanks... Speaking of masochism:

Hellsau posted:

Both the Sexton 1 and 2 are horrifically bad so good call. Low tier artillery got smashed by the 8.6 update, and the map changes just exacerbate the problem.

The only arty I've ever played is the lef18b2. I'm currently grinding out the S-51 to get a higher tier (and higher damage) arty for variety, and for missions.

Since I've heard so many good things about the M44, I want to get there, as well. Would it be recommended to spend the credits to rebuy the chaffee and grind out another 32k for the M41, or is the M7 > M37 > M41 ~24k grind not all that bad? I also have around 50k free xp I can use along the way if anything is completely atrocious.

edit: My wn8 in 44 battles in the chaffee is 435, and my winrate is 41%. I think that's relevant.

reL fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 10, 2016

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I thought the M41 HMC was fine and alright. THe M44 is great. I just got my first ever MoE in mine this morning. :v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I own and have good crews in the Chaffee/T37/M41/T49 because they're all either good or fun. Get the Chaffee - it has regular tier 6 matchmaking so you won't get stuck in the tier 10 hell like the old Chaffee, and yet it's better than the old Chaffee was. Get it and play it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

subhelios posted:

He seems to be doing alright in the CDC at least. Maybe he finally found a tank that works for him?

He hasn't, he just got really lucky for 100-something games. I have more than double his average XP in the CDC while sporting my lowest vehicle winrate in all tanks I've ever played at 46%. I'm terrible at carrying and don't have the best situational awareness, which really reflects in a tank as unforgiving as the CDC, but I have a WN8 of 1500 in it (also my lowest overall), he has...two loving hundred.

His performance in the FCM 50t is even funnier. Vehicle WN8 of 1. One. Dwell on that for a second.
His average damage over 500 games in it is around 250...he lands ONE damaging shot per game. Such great heights.

reL
May 20, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I own and have good crews in the Chaffee/T37/M41/T49 because they're all either good or fun. Get the Chaffee - it has regular tier 6 matchmaking so you won't get stuck in the tier 10 hell like the old Chaffee, and yet it's better than the old Chaffee was. Get it and play it.

Yeah, around when I quit playing before I decided I wanted a "top tier" light tank, and for some reason ground out the Chaffee instead of the VK2801. Tier 5 in tier 10 games, ugh.

I'll go for it again. I'd already bought the M7, but when I realized I couldn't even land hits across the trenches in Malinovka without positioning in front of the flag...

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I, too, am a terrible CDC driver, but I don't care. I don't get to play enough to really bring my win rate out of the cellar, but it's still one of my favorite tanks. I'm not even sure why I like it so much. Maybe it's because, prior to my foray into the American medium line, I had never really felt the bliss that is 10 degrees of gun depression before.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I got to the Achilles, skipped the bullshit stock grind and it's actually surprisingly okay so far. Gun depression is garbage tho.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

R. Mute posted:

I got to the Achilles, skipped the bullshit stock grind and it's actually surprisingly okay so far. Gun depression is garbage tho.

Sweet, I'm glad you like the Achilles. Tier 6 is one of the best tiers with a lot of really fun tanks.

I have some bad news about the Challenger.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Hellsau posted:

Sweet, I'm glad you like the Achilles. Tier 6 is one of the best tiers with a lot of really fun tanks.

The Challenger is a perfectly serviceable Tier 6 tank.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Tier VII's the sweet spot for me, generally. You can still do well against tier IX's and occasionally you get to stop all over tier Vs.

But yeah, I know the Challenger will probably be a long-term project - if I bother at all.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

R. Mute posted:

Tier VII's the sweet spot for me, generally. You can still do well against tier IX's and occasionally you get to stop all over tier Vs.

But yeah, I know the Challenger will probably be a long-term project - if I bother at all.

The Challenger doesn't stomp all over anything mate. The damage output just isn't there to avoid taking lots of damage if you get into a fight even with a tier 5, and if there's more than one enemy you're going to evaporate. Also the 9 and 10 aren't good so just stop while you can and use the crew somewhere more useful.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

where the gently caress do i take arty on kharkov on either spawn because gently caress this map!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

R. Mute posted:

What is this thing you call stock grind?

Tsurupettan posted:

where the gently caress do i take arty on kharkov on either spawn because gently caress this map!

There are positions NE and SW where you can get decent shots in the corridor north of the middle brawling ground.
These also lets you cover north.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Tsurupettan posted:

where the gently caress do i take arty

garbagecan.jpg

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

There's no post up yet but 9.14 test is out. Just start your test client launcher and it'll update.

New sound engine, new movement physics.

First impression: sounds are rad as hell. e: update: they went way too heavy on the bass for 120 and especially 150 mm guns

Prav fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 11, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The Challenger doesn't stomp all over anything mate. The damage output just isn't there to avoid taking lots of damage if you get into a fight even with a tier 5.

The Skoda T 24 begs to differ. It has 1245 DPM, 950 lower than the Challenger, and 200 lower than everything else in tier 5 except the T-34 with the 76mm. The Skoda can't do damage or take damage, which makes playing it an exercise in frustration and pain.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

The Skoda T 24 begs to differ. It has 1245 DPM, 950 lower than the Challenger, and 200 lower than everything else in tier 5 except the T-34 with the 76mm. The Skoda can't do damage or take damage, which makes playing it an exercise in frustration and pain.

Yeah the T-24 seems incredibly frustrating. I played the Toldi like six games for some missions and that was horrific - lower DPM than all the tier 1s, not exceptional penetration or accuracy, slow as gently caress and sees tier 5s? Thanks Wargaming! Low DPM tanks with low alpha and other drawbacks are just ridiculously bad game design. See also Valentine.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

See also Valentine.

And Type 95 Heavy. :suicide:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

And Type 95 Heavy. :suicide:

I keep trying to forget that one because it's demonstrably worse in nearly every way to the tank a tier before it!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I keep trying to forget that one because it's demonstrably worse in nearly every way to the tank a tier before it!

The worst thing about the Type 95 Heavy is that all of its guns have "howitzer arc", which makes it nearly impossible to lead targets because the shell will sail over the target to hit where you're aiming in the background. This inability to lead targets combined with its glacial shell velocity makes it almost impossible to hit moving targets. As a bonus, on the off chance that the shell does hit, it will probably fail to pen.

I still got Ace Tanker in it. :suicide:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

McGavin posted:

The worst thing about the Type 95 Heavy is that all of its guns have "howitzer arc", which makes it nearly impossible to lead targets because the shell will sail over the target to hit where you're aiming in the background. This inability to lead targets combined with its glacial shell velocity makes it almost impossible to hit moving targets. As a bonus, on the off chance that the shell does hit, it will probably fail to pen.

I still got Ace Tanker in it. :suicide:

I found it had a redeeming quality when you lobbed HE over long distances because you had a high chance of penning the roof IF you hit.
The IF, unfortunately, depended on the target being stationary, but with the high rate of fire, it worked out often enough for a decent chuckle.

Literally every other thing about it and the Type 91 was a goddamn chore, though. Took me 45 battles total to get through both.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the 9.14 patchnotes, there's this interesting item:

"Reduced the number of modules for low-tier vehicles (to facilitate the research process)"

This is an example of what they've done. It's the BT-2.

As you can see, the biggest change is in the gun selection. It lost the useless 23mm autocannon, but also lost the formerly best gun, the 37mm. Now the top gun is an inaccurate 45mm. Not a huge change considering how little time most players spend in a tier 2 tank. The streamlined research process is certainly welcome.

Here's an Imgur gallery with a couple others I grabbed at random.
I can do requests if anyone needs to know what they're doing to their precious tanks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

"Reduced the number of modules for low-tier vehicles (to facilitate the research process)"

MS-1 lost its 45mm. :qq:

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

McGavin posted:

this is the low tier russian gimmick and I am furious

who's that goon who plays nothing but the T-26 for tens of thousands of games? The_Red_army or something? Is the T-26 getting hosed over as well?

WG you bastards

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

Time to roll the Pz38H out again!

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

This is an example of what they've done. It's the BT-2.

Is it purely T 1 & 2? I've noticed some pretty redundant things like high XP radio's at T4 that don't carry on to future vehicles. It's really just a trap for new players who upgrade everything rather than getting the hell out of T4 as quickly as possible.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

stephenfry posted:

this is the low tier russian gimmick and I am furious

who's that goon who plays nothing but the T-26 for tens of thousands of games? The_Red_army or something? Is the T-26 getting hosed over as well?

WG you bastards

Scapegoat posted:

Is it purely T 1 & 2? I've noticed some pretty redundant things like high XP radio's at T4 that don't carry on to future vehicles. It's really just a trap for new players who upgrade everything rather than getting the hell out of T4 as quickly as possible.

I think it's just tiers 1 and 2. Tier 3s seem to be unchanged. And the Hetzer still has its tier 9 radio.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

The T1 Cunningham lost its Hispana machine gun which would be an extremely large change if WGLNA still used tier 1s. The Ltraktor should be fine right, since the stock gun was the only useful gun anyway? What gun does the Medium 1 get? It used to have a stock lovely gun, then a comedy machine gun and a top 57mm howitzer.

Did the Cruiser 3 get hit? Having the choice between the Pom Pom to crush everything in sight, or the 2pdr to be a better Tetrarch was pretty sweet.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The T 24 is great because a T-34 can trade three shots for your one and still have enough time to get back into cover.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

The T1 Cunningham lost its Hispana machine gun which would be an extremely large change if WGLNA still used tier 1s. The Ltraktor should be fine right, since the stock gun was the only useful gun anyway? What gun does the Medium 1 get? It used to have a stock lovely gun, then a comedy machine gun and a top 57mm howitzer.

Did the Cruiser 3 get hit? Having the choice between the Pom Pom to crush everything in sight, or the 2pdr to be a better Tetrarch was pretty sweet.

Everything is fine. It's amazing how many redundant modules were packed into these low-tier tanks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Everything is fine. It's amazing how many redundant modules were packed into these low-tier tanks.

Noooooo! Everything is not fine - no more comedy machine gun on the Medium 1! Muh historical accuracy!

hey wait EE do you have an article about our favorite lovely slow box?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do we get the credits and XP back from the simplification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

PR reel for 9.14 is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwwaFBgs98c&t=105s