Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the "games that will never come out" thing comes down to whether or not they'll be able to end up working with ao, because that's the only pre-cold steel trails game that isn't on the pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Smallest in the series, due to a relative lack of NPCs.

wasn't it the shortest after FC

Either way SC is by a decent chunk the biggest in the series

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Back before XSeed confirmed Cold Steel was happening, people speculated that they wouldn't localize Trails 3rd because it's a worse "ending." SC has a satisfying conclusion to the story that FC started and the 3rd is an offshoot with the same cast that sets up the backdrop for the remainder of the Zemuria megaseries, so it would have all this tantalizing lore that wouldn't have any payoff if we never got the Crossbell and Erebonia arcs.

In the wake of SC and Cold Steel coming out, XSeed said that they still want to release Trails 3rd, but it'll be up to the Cold Steel sales.

In other words, XSeed hasn't said they won't release Trails 3rd, they just haven't started working on it. Yet. Just like they haven't started working on Crossbell.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

Back before XSeed confirmed Cold Steel was happening, people speculated that they wouldn't localize Trails 3rd because it's a worse "ending." SC has a satisfying conclusion to the story that FC started and the 3rd is an offshoot with the same cast that sets up the backdrop for the remainder of the Zemuria megaseries, so it would have all this tantalizing lore that wouldn't have any payoff if we never got the Crossbell and Erebonia arcs.

In the wake of SC and Cold Steel coming out, XSeed said that they still want to release Trails 3rd, but it'll be up to the Cold Steel sales.

In other words, XSeed hasn't said they won't release Trails 3rd, they just haven't started working on it. Yet. Just like they haven't started working on Crossbell.

Or more specifically, if they have started working on it, they aren't to the point that they'd tell us about it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Or more specifically, if they have started working on it, they aren't to the point that they'd tell us about it.

Sure, that's probably a better way to word it. They haven't announced that they're working on any Trails game besides Cold Steel 2.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i think the "games that will never come out" thing comes down to whether or not they'll be able to end up working with ao, because that's the only pre-cold steel trails game that isn't on the pc

yeah this is why I don't like to speculate much since getting ao to work is the main factor I think and that's a lot of behind the scenes stuff I'm not going to pretend to have much insight into

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

And I assume that getting Zero without Azure would be like getting FC without SC or Cold Steel without CS2?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

pretty much although Zero has the honor of being the only first entry in an arc not to end on a cliffhanger

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

And I assume that getting Zero without Azure would be like getting FC without SC or Cold Steel without CS2?

Yeah.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm still kind of hoping out for Falcom to do a Japanese PC port of Azure, even though they don't really do PC games anymore. They did exactly that with Zero, a PC port of that came out good three years after Zero originally came out on PSP. It'd save a lot headaches for Xseed and it'd mean sales of the other games in the series would be the only limiting factor, instead of having to get a deal working with Joyland and having to work with their ports.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Cake Attack posted:

pretty much although Zero has the honor of being the only first entry in an arc not to end on a cliffhanger

The second game does it, instead!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm still kind of hoping out for Falcom to do a Japanese PC port of Azure, even though they don't really do PC games anymore. They did exactly that with Zero, a PC port of that came out good three years after Zero originally came out on PSP. It'd save a lot headaches for Xseed and it'd mean sales of the other games in the series would be the only limiting factor, instead of having to get a deal working with Joyland and having to work with their ports.

I'd also love for that to happen, but considering that they just recently did a Vita Evolution version of both games, I'd be really surprised.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
hey, it's okay. they could just skip on releasing Azure because CS2 just straight up tells you every major plot point that happens in Azure.

of course Azure does the same for CS2 so... at least it's equal spoilers??

those two games are weird. I love 'em both but

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azjB3lsUTU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qYYetCVBko

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XUzvISRwUQ

e; haha, they made a version of the song in the style of, like, a pc-88 tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IN0pTvagYA

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 11, 2016

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Still the best combat theme in the franchise

but yeah, Zero and Azure have to be a package deal. Zero doesn't have a cliffhanger but it's still basically pointless without Azure. And that lack of a native PC JP version is going to remain a sticking point, unless shenanigans happen with the Chinese PC version.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZmonj2TDk

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I'd also love for that to happen, but considering that they just recently did a Vita Evolution version of both games, I'd be really surprised.

Did Falcom actually develop the Evolution versions or was it contracted to another developer? If Falcom did it themselves then wouldn't that be the best bet to bring over Zero and Azure? Of course if they were outsourced, that'd mess things up considerably.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Did Falcom actually develop the Evolution versions or was it contracted to another developer? If Falcom did it themselves then wouldn't that be the best bet to bring over Zero and Azure? Of course if they were outsourced, that'd mess things up considerably.

Licensed out, yeah.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Falcom doesn't do the Evo games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Even if they did, isn't the Vita basically completely dead in the West?

Supremezero posted:

That actually kind of explains a lot.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Motto posted:

Licensed out, yeah.

This kind of explains why I don't like the new artwork for them and some of the musical tracks are hit or miss at least. drat, so it looks like the only options are for a deal to be negotiated with the developers of Evolution/the Chinese PC port, or pray to almighty Aidios that Falcom decides to do a PC port of Azure themselves.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The music is still falcom sound team, I think remixing an entire ost is just difficult and there are bound to be a few tracks they have trouble with

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This kind of explains why I don't like the new artwork for them and some of the musical tracks are hit or miss at least. drat, so it looks like the only options are for a deal to be negotiated with the developers of Evolution/the Chinese PC port, or pray to almighty Aidios that Falcom decides to do a PC port of Azure themselves.

There's a third option; XSeed decides to license Zero and Azure and while Falcom determines that the Japanese market has no place for a PC version of Azure, they still strip the Chinese PC version of its DRM and re-import the Japanese text, then give that version to XSeed to work with instead of releasing it in Japan. I mean, they did show willingness to bring their PSP programmers out of retirement just for SC's PSP version.

Cake Attack posted:

someone translated another one of the Star Doors from 3rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-tGGAh1XKg

It's a good one, and pretty relevant to Cold Steel. They also go through the text super fast so prepare to read quickly

I'm KINDA curious, but I'm also still holding out hope that 3rd will come out eventually and I'm not too eager on the idea of spoiling as much of the game as possible for myself before I get to play it.

Cake Attack posted:

wasn't it the shortest after FC

Either way SC is by a decent chunk the biggest in the series

No, it's the shortest. Its main scenario is apparantly longer than FC's, but since 3rd is a dungeon crawler with no towns and NPCs whose dialogue changes after every event, its total amount of text is lower. Its structure will also make it a lot easier to test/edit.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

The music is still falcom sound team, I think remixing an entire ost is just difficult and there are bound to be a few tracks they have trouble with

I think there's some DLC that give you the option to switch to the original tracks anyway, so it probably isn't a huge deal.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

someone translated another one of the Star Doors from 3rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-tGGAh1XKg

It's a good one, and pretty relevant to Cold Steel. They also go through the text super fast so prepare to read quickly

That's a lot of Olivier, and yeah, some unfortunately short subtitle timings.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I like Kloe and Lechter just up and stealing half of Olivier's star door away from him.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

OddObserver posted:

That's a lot of Olivier, and yeah, some unfortunately short subtitle timings.

You could always reduce the video speed, though it'll make the sound weird.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Man this thing explains so much about the state of Olivier at the start of Cold Steel, and has a lot of really good foreshadowing.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
So I'm going through a bit of Trails-withdrawl at the moment. Are there any PS3 RPGs that people would recommend that are similar in spirit to the Trails series? I mean, I fished out the console and dusted it off for Cold Steel, I may as well get it a bit more of a workout.

Edit: Also (CS & 3rd spoilers) that Olivier Star Door that was linked early is hilarious because it means that Lechter hosed up and let Crow pull the exact same loving stunt that he pulled with his own schooling in Liberl, right down to pissing off right after the festival was over.

SorcerousHam fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 12, 2016

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zaggitz posted:

the state of Olivier

I'm calling Erebonia this from now on.

And yeah, FC & SC Evo have DLC for an original soundtrack toggle. I don't think the other Evolution titles did?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hey mang, I'll have you know my Rean was above average!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He got like 7th on his exams. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A lot of the second season kind of went above my head on that. Mostly the Dragon Slayer and the Gagharv Trilogy references. The Ys and Trails gags were pretty funny though.

Edit: While on that subject though, this is catchy as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1YWuZs5JPU

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 12, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He got like 7th on his exams. :colbert:

Hell, almost the entirety of Class VII(aside from Fie, who has an excuse, and Elliot who's clearly just lazy) is in the top 20 of the entire freshman class. For that matter, if you've got a smart Rean, over half the class is in the top 10.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this is badass!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZmonj2TDk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!