Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Speaking of great world maps, which makes me think of DQ8,

Nikkolas, how's the Dragon Quest marathon going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Speaking of great world maps, which makes me think of DQ8,

Nikkolas, how's the Dragon Quest marathon going?

Terribly because I got sidetracked and forgot about it.

This happens a lot with me. How long did I say I was gonna play NieR? But hey, I still eventually did play NieR so you can rest assured one day I will marathon the DQ games.

Just, uh, don't hold your breath. I play games when the "mood" hits me and right now I'm not in the mood to start the DQ series.

I will definitely be posting in here about when I finally get around to starting the series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I mean, at least you probably don't have to run around mashing a "search" button to find towns on the map. gently caress you, Cross Edge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I mean, at least you probably don't have to run around mashing a "search" button to find towns on the map. gently caress you, Cross Edge.

Everyone loved that in Wild Arms 2 right? Right?!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Everyone loved that in Wild Arms 2 right? Right?!

You found 1 gella.

Edit: Or am I misremembering? I seem to remember sometimes getting a false positive while searching and then it turns out to be like 1 cent or something silly like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

You found 1 gella.

Edit: Or am I misremembering? I seem to remember sometimes getting a false positive while searching and then it turns out to be like 1 cent or something silly like that.

Yeah, you'd get a big glowy thing and then a small sparkling spot with sometimes a stat-up item or duplicator but more often useless poo poo.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

How is that different from any other SNES/PS1 world map

CT probably had the best world map on the SNES because even if you weren't going into houses you were walking through populated areas and there was clearly a civilization there that significantly changed between time periods, giving you an interesting world map from a worldbuilding standpoint. Dragon Quest 8 and Wild Arms 5 stood out to me because they included a lot of architecture and gave you an interesting world map from a navigation standpoint. Tales of Legendia your world map was instead a giant island boat map, which was pretty cool and unique - Tales games in general tended to try to make their maps somewhat busy but Legendia definitely looked the most gorgeous. Skies of Arcadia's world map had a bunch of detail that fed into the Discoveries, and decade-younger me actually found it seriously intimidating to skim through poo poo like the dark cloud rifts or the bottom of the sky.

Bravely Default's locations felt really isolated and there was very little detail or the world map in most areas*. It could probably have used twice the number of towns, or at least made the existing hub areas significantly change between dungeons**. I think it's a shame because it made the world feel incredibly empty, a feeling that got exacerbated by having to go through it repeatedly. Basically, for me, the illusion of a larger world totally flopped.

*Refreshing my memory, the first kingdom looks okay, it had stuff around it and felt somewhat complete, but that kind of dropped off significantly.

**Cold Steel is my gold standard for this, having NPCs move around and react to things from morning/evening/night was really the best part, especially in the school.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stelas posted:

Skies of Arcadia's world map had a bunch of detail that fed into the Discoveries, and decade-younger me actually found it seriously intimidating to skim through poo poo like the dark cloud rifts or the bottom of the sky.

chalk another one up for best game

Like, yeah the world map is eerily empty by most standards but the discovery system and the way the game gates your ship's capabilities really add to the 'age of exploration' atmosphere ahh it's so good help

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

that one dungeon where you're flying through the creepy black cloud rift and pointing yourself towards a whirling vortex that might or might not resolve into a passageway scared the pants off me and made me kind of afraid to go to the absolute bottom of the world map to hunt for things

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The greatest flaw of Skies of Arcadia is the lack of refightable ship battles and the lack of a ship battle superboss. All you can do in the endgame is beat up on some Valuan Battleships that the Delphinus crumples like empty beer cans in one round.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Someone missed the four giant monsters then.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really liked the giant monster you encounter in the ice place.

Skies of Arcadia's ice zone was awesome, left you with a lot more questions than answers and had some beautiful visuals.

Why isn't SoA on the Wii U Virtual Console? C'mon Nintendo.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As is so often the case with JRPGs it's pretty easy to outlevel them by the time you get to them and have an incredibly tricked-out Delphinus that just wastes them. :smith:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

by the time you can fight them, they're all really easy

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You'd be better off asking for an HD rerelease.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really liked the giant monster you encounter in the ice place.

Skies of Arcadia's ice zone was awesome, left you with a lot more questions than answers and had some beautiful visuals.

Why isn't SoA on the Wii U Virtual Console? C'mon Nintendo.

That's more on Sega, especially with their PC division having momentum, you're more likely to get a steam port than a virtual console release.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Was Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast and then Gamecube or was it the other way around?

Or was it on PS2 and Gamecube? I can't remember.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Was Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast and then Gamecube or was it the other way around?

the first one

hopefully a steam release would have all the legends content but the original's sound quality

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Dreamcast, then Gamecube. Gamecube version had some improvements like a way lower encounter rate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Getsuya posted:

It was made by Sega and was made for the Dreamcast. A port was made for the gamecube years later.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
On the topic of world map talk, what is everyone's favorite RPG world map? Let's say Skies of Arcadia is ranked as "best" already for this.

If tasked to name three, it'd be:

FFVI -- Probably 'cause this was the first time I ever saw one and my mind was blown when I realized that that huge steampunk town I'd just explored was just one little crevasse on this massive map. Plus the airship and Mode 7 effects owned.

Ni No Kuni -- This is a recent one, but I liked that this game is a fairly modern RPG release with a proper old-school world map. The world map feels like they built it in the style of DQ8, then pulled the camera waaaay back. You have enemies appearing on it, lots of varied terrain, and later on you get a dragon to ride!

Chrono Cross -- No random encounters, awesome music, and I really dug that the map closed in on specific small areas, then zoomed out when you had to navigate the seas. It was neat to have multiple levels of "zoom" so to speak, it made a small world map feel much larger.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dragon Quest 8 for having poo poo to find and generally giving the impression of a living breathing world that was fun as poo poo to run around in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stelas posted:

Bravely Default's map just felt incredibly lacking. Actually, the world-building in general just felt really weird in that game, I never really felt like I had any context for what was going on compared to the world at large. There were, what, four towns total? The world map was so huge in comparison it only seemed to be there to make walking to the next dungeon location even more of a chore than it was already.

e: which bugged me because you had glimpses of a larger world populated with airships and armies facing off and whatever else and then nah let's go to this bumfuck cave that's a five minute walk away. I would have liked to see a lot more locations in general, especially friendly ones rather than dungeons

The worst part about the world map is if you wanted to get the Performer job before you get the airship you basically have to spend half an hour without encounters just revisiting everything.

I love the game but they could have replaced the world map with an area selection and it would lose nothing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Srice posted:

The worst part about the world map is if you wanted to get the Performer job before you get the airship you basically have to spend half an hour without encounters just revisiting everything.

I love the game but they could have replaced the world map with an area selection and it would lose nothing.

Agreed. Each area really just needed a few more points of interest to make the world map worth it.

As for world maps I like, I liked ones that have some dynamic elements like the airships in FF9. I also don't mind the "illusion" of a large world masking a linear progression as long as there are nooks and crannies to explore that have lore and characters to make the world feel more inhabited.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey guys speaking of RPGs with overworlds, you can now play an RPG based off everyone's favorite deep psychological intellectual horror series Five Nights at Freddies absolutely free!

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/11/five-nights-freddys-world-now-free-gamejolt/

Yay!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wasn't a fan of how FFVI's map was viewed at kind of a slanted angle, even on foot.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tae posted:

How is that different from any other SNES/PS1 world map

ff7 has a giant snake monster, a really spooky underwater map complete with leviathan, that dumb idiot in the sand.. it was pretty neat to explore. the part with diamond weapon approaching midgar for 874230 hours and ultima weapon flying around were cool

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I never liked Suikoden's world map, if we're talkin' maps we don't like. They did away with in Suikoden 3 and I honestly didn't miss it that much, although the replacement felt a bit lacking.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Someone should remake FFVI in the same style as that pre-FF7 tech demo.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Suikoden 2 had the best world map, and was the best JRPG ever. I unironically believe this.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think Suikoden 2's map felt okay because it was much smaller scale. A field didn't represent the space between one kingdom and the next, it just represented a field. A group of three trees wasn't a forest, it really was just three trees clumped together.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Stelas posted:

I think Suikoden 2's map felt okay because it was much smaller scale. A field didn't represent the space between one kingdom and the next, it just represented a field. A group of three trees wasn't a forest, it really was just three trees clumped together.

Yeah, I liked that bit. Things worked on a semi-realistic scale. It's also one of the only overworlds where you actually cannot pass through thick forest, it's as much of an obstacle as a mountain pass would be in other games.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

This is unironically one of the greatest things to ever be in a JRPG.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

This is unironically one of the greatest things to ever be in a JRPG.

I completely agree. I heard all about the "infamously terrible boss theme" in BD long before I played it. I then I actually heard the theme while playing the game and now I love it and wish it was in every game.

I gotta mod it as the boss theme in any other RPG I play on PC.

The rest of the soundtrack is really nice, too. Honestly, between the combat and music, I enjoyed the game. The characters and story are....yeah but I get the feeling they weren't even trying so oh well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I actually liked the characters. Agnes got a lot of flak for being a stick in the mud but it made sense given her past and it was nice to see her come out of her shell. The overall dynamics between them also made for some levity given how deadly serious the main plot was. Reading the diaries also made the whole thing even more enjoyable because you got to see the most flamboyant member's more somber inner thoughts on everything.

e: It was also neat to see how dark and terrifying all the people were in the first iteration but then be able to see the softer sides of their personalities in later iterations.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 12, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I actually liked the characters. Agnes got a lot of flak for being a stick in the mud but it made sense given her past and it was nice to see her come out of her shell. The overall dynamics between them also made for some levity given how deadly serious the main plot was. Reading the diaries also made the whole thing even more enjoyable because you got to see the most flamboyant member's more somber inner thoughts on everything.

e: It was also neat to see how dark and terrifying all the people were in the first iteration but then be able to see the softer sides of their personalities in later iterations.

Are you responding to me? Because I was talking about Blue Dragon. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Maybe Bravely Default? It does get confusing with two JRPGs with the same abbreviation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you responding to me? Because I was talking about Blue Dragon. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Maybe Bravely Default? It does get confusing with two JRPGs with the same abbreviation.

... Yes. My bad.

To keep it on topic, I never played Blue Dragon even though I'm kind of a Sakaguchi fanboy because by the time it released, I had ditched my 360 for getting back into PC gaming. I also never played Lost Odyssey and judging by that White Rabbit ad someone linked in the general chat thread, I really missed out.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 12, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just read this great story about drug addiction in Morrowind:

Some guy on the internet posted:

Weirdest way I ever "lost" a video game was by becoming a drug addict in Morrowind.

Now there's no mechanic for addiction in Morrowind; you can booze it up and snort Moon Sugar by the shovelful to no ill effect. There are however, perfectly legal ways to make super-powerful potions using alchemy. I boosted my intelligence to 5000, made some Fortify Health potions, boxed a few Dremora Lords for fun, then went to sleep. Next day I woke up dead.

Restored my pre-sleep save to see what had happened. Apparently my boosted health (about 900) wore off after I fell asleep. Since the health boost was greater than my base max health (about 120) it was auto-killing me. In order to sleep, gain levels, or basically function, I was going to have to keep brewing these things.

At first I tried to keep things legit. Foraged for ingredients, bought rare components. Problem is that I needed brew.a ton of "Fortify Intelligence" before I could even begin with "Fortify Health". I began skimping on parts, which mean weaker potions with shorter durations. It reached the point where I didn't have time to forage and started selling gear to buy all my ingredients. Then I started stealing them.

Finally, with a huge bounty on my head, I stood by the empty barrels of my alchemical laboratory turned meth lab, and realized that this game wasn't worth playing.

C'est La Vie, Kresh Na'Kaw the Argonian.

So apparently you can alchemize stuff in Morrowind so potent, it will kill you after it wears off, due to how game mechanics work. This guy basically had this happen to him and instead of going back to an earlier save, he tried to "live" with this weird bug by continuing to brew his personal drug. And slowly ruined his character until he had nothing left.

:allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Libluini posted:

I just read this great story about drug addiction in Morrowind:

Similarly,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

theshim posted:

Yeah, Chapter 5 and 6 don't offer too much in the way of an issue to that.

But oh, my, yes, please do the sidequests in 7 and 8. That's when the game really opens a can of :getin:

Excellent! One more question on that: Is it gonna be difficul as in i'll need levels or difficult as in I'll need a strategy? Cause if it's the latter i'm gonna hit enc to 0% and coast through til I hit chapter 7.

Also gently caress I thought it would end at chapter 5. Why is this game extending itself like this?