Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

signalnoise posted:

Someone tell me where I can sell my sense of ethics

You're too late, nominations closed and the primaries already started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Wargaming Terrain Board : Lava Lake Warhammer/ D&D/ LOTR
$75 starting / $100 Buy It Now / $30 shipping

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:LAVA LAKE!:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Someone tell me where I can sell my sense of ethics

*unzips pants*

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

berzerkmonkey posted:

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:LAVA LAKE!:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

It's like I'm there!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

berzerkmonkey posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with that terrain. Except goddamn there's no way there's $75 worth of time/materials there. Dude bought some foam squares from Five Below and dropped some foam chunks on it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

sorry my dog crapped on your gaming table :(

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Len posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with that terrain. Except goddamn there's no way there's $75 worth of time/materials there. Dude bought some foam squares from Five Below and dropped some foam chunks on it.

I think that's what's wrong.

Also what are you supposed to do with lovely square lava lake?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
using those snap together foam floor things as a table is a good idea though

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Moola posted:

using those snap together foam floor things as a table is a good idea though

It actually is, I just went to see how cheap they'd be and there's a pack of 8 2x2 ones for £20 which gives you a board pretty easy. All you'd have to do is spray it down or something and maybe flock it up or you could go dramatic and build modular pre-sculpted boards.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

The big issue with separate board pieces is they give away distance.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cat Face Joe posted:

The big issue with separate board pieces is they give away distance.

This is only really an issue if you use games where you can't premeasure stuff.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

spectralent posted:

It actually is, I just went to see how cheap they'd be and there's a pack of 8 2x2 ones for £20 which gives you a board pretty easy. All you'd have to do is spray it down or something and maybe flock it up or you could go dramatic and build modular pre-sculpted boards.

Someone, I think in the terrain thread, tried this and it didn't work as well as they hoped. The toothed joining bits were problematic when flocked/textured or something like that.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

spectralent posted:

This is only really an issue if you use games where you can't premeasure stuff.

Right, a game that the board is advertised as being good for.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ineptmule posted:

Someone, I think in the terrain thread, tried this and it didn't work as well as they hoped. The toothed joining bits were problematic when flocked/textured or something like that.

I can see there being a lot of stress on those, yeah.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Right, a game that the board is advertised as being good for.

Premeasuring is generally fine for most games and having a 1ft or 2ft square is only going to give you a ballpark estimate which you can already get from things like models, terrain sizes, finger-widths, etc. The only game I'm aware of being better for not permitting free measuring is X-Wing and that's kind of a unique case because you don't want to add a dumb bluffing element to the dials phase to slow everything down.

Also they're childrens playmats, so they're not actually advertised for being for any sort of game.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Walking Dead/Deadzone/Mars Attacks play smaller games on 2x2 boards and lots of indie skirmish games like Ronin or Relic Blade use a 2x2 board so a pack of 8 might be nice to have if you were getting into any or all of those.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think the foam would be too bouncy for models.

What games don't allow premeasuring nowadays? Only one I can think of is Dropzone.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What games don't allow premeasuring nowadays? Only one I can think of is Dropzone.

Warmahordes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

There's also bolt action but as far as I can tell there's basically no reason for that rule.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Infinity as well

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Not a viking posted:

Infinity as well

Really? We measured stuff in that when we played. I really can't imagine it changes a hell of a lot given that all weapons have ranges that can be boiled down to "If you can see it, you can shoot it", with the change being the modifier.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Also X-Wing.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

spectralent posted:

Really? We measured stuff in that when we played. I really can't imagine it changes a hell of a lot given that all weapons have ranges that can be boiled down to "If you can see it, you can shoot it", with the change being the modifier.

Eh, depends what you are measuring. Pre-measuring movement and weapon ranges are a no-no since, with the order mechanic, it would slow down the game when one player insists on planning all ten orders spent ramboing up the field.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think the foam would be too bouncy for models.

You actually can premeasure shooting in Dropzone.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Not a viking posted:

Eh, depends what you are measuring. Pre-measuring movement and weapon ranges are a no-no since, with the order mechanic, it would slow down the game when one player insists on planning all ten orders spent ramboing up the field.

Oh, yeah. We just went "I'll move... *measures things nearby* over here and take a shot at them", kinda like. I agree it'd probably be obnoxious if before you started you went to measure out the distances between literally everything and go.

EDIT: "No premeasuring" games are ones I think of as being like old warhammer where you have to go "I'm moving towards this" and then you get to see you hosed up because it was actually five inches :smuggo:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 11, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

spectralent posted:

EDIT: "No premeasuring" games are ones I think of as being like old warhammer where you have to go "I'm moving towards this" and then you get to see you hosed up because it was actually five inches :smuggo:

So Infinity, as we play them. Also, we play in Inches since that's more elegant, and I still have no clue how much an inch is in normal

I have to stop myself from trying to premeasure distances all the time.

Now, the real stupid movement mechanic are random charge/run distances, which are found in HAMS, as well as No End In Sight and similar games, I guess.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

So Infinity, as we play them. Also, we play in Inches since that's more elegant, and I still have no clue how much an inch is in normal

I have to stop myself from trying to premeasure distances all the time.

Now, the real stupid movement mechanic are random charge/run distances, which are found in HAMS, as well as No End In Sight and similar games, I guess.

In infinity, as I say, we typically check where we can move quickly before we settle on where we're going. It's possible we've done this wrong but I've never found the game to be weakened for it.

Also an inch is about 2.5cm. I remember it with the handy (???) mental shorthand of a .50 cal MG being half an inch and 12.7mm.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

spectralent posted:

Also an inch is about 2.5cm. I remember it with the handy (???) mental shorthand of a .50 cal MG being half an inch and 12.7mm.

Your frame of reference for measuring distance is munitions. Interesting....

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ugleb posted:

Your frame of reference for measuring distance is munitions. Interesting....

I like tanks too much I am so sorry.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Weathering looks fake but otherwise cool?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

This rules

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wrong thread because this is actually awesome as hell.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Can't wait to see this finished tbh

Gettin a lot of likes in my FLGS's facebook

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What am I looking at here, besides a headless jack?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JcDent posted:

What am I looking at here, besides a headless jack?

The reason it's headless is because he's customizing it with that V forehead thing at the moment

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It looks like a Sonic

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Can't wait to see this finished tbh

Gettin a lot of likes in my FLGS's facebook

:perfect:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Better than the original.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It has no axe made of loving lasers. 0/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Hoooo boy

http://www.spikeybits.com/2013/03/conversion-corner-star-wars-dreadnoughts.html