Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I will be running a big game when I get back and will hold you to this!!

When is "when I get back"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Amoeba102 posted:

I still want to run my three dimensional win condition mafia, but I can only figure out two of the dimensions. Basically Mafia meets Resistance meets ???

codenames

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
spymaster and agents win condition, each side has a resistance game going on, and its one big mafia game at the same time

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Two rooms and a boom?

Yeah, I've thought about that, but I need to figure out how to translate it to play by post. The problem is that 2Rooms relies on not knowing what the other room is doing, so it won't work when I need everyone in a single thread.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah, I've thought about that, but I need to figure out how to translate it to play by post. The problem is that 2Rooms relies on not knowing what the other room is doing, so it won't work when I need everyone in a single thread.

Let me see if I can find it, but 2 Rooms has been done on these forums before, twice.

I can tell you from personal experience that the Vanilla role ends up being over powered.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I don't know how to run codenames while people keep what codename team they're on secret. Or having people not know who else is on their codename team is the alternative. Like, BLue Spymaster pms the mod to put out a blue clue, but then I have to get blue people to PM, and I have a heap of guesses but it really should be a single guess. Oh dear.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
why would you need to keep the codename teams a secert

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So you don't end up dividing the thread between the two sides, refusing to kill one of their teammates to weaken their codenaming or something like that. If one side got an advantage they could psuh it and eliminate the other codename team too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Obviously only the dead on your side can pick guesses! DUH

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
retirement into a codenames game, sounds like my heaven :allears:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, both 2 Rooms games have since been archived, here's what I remember about those games:

1. We had two threads that we all agreed not to read when not in the room. This meant that if we were moved to another room, we could only read from the beginning of the day we entered, and had to be trusted not to read earlier. I think people adhered to it.

2. Game 1, I played as a VT bomb team member. I happened to find the bomb very early on, and became their personal bodyguard, essentially. Because I had no restrictions on the information I could share and was a fairly unimportant role, I could afford to do all the information gathering for the bomb. Because I had done enough ground work, we were able to take over the votes in one room and I was instated as the king of the room, and successful figured out which room the president would be in and sent the bomb there.

3. Game 2, we played with neutral roles. There were some that could become a specific team member. I ended up as the sniper, so I had to find my target and kill them as my final game action. Again, this was secretly over powered, as I quickly realized I could just do my own information gathering and then trade that information to find the target. Eventually I learned who the president was and just threatened to ruin the game for that team if they didn't tell me what I needed to know.

4. Everyone had a limit of 5 PM's they could send to players.

5. You revealed your info to the other players on your own, the mod didn't facilitate that.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I also sort of want their to be the default team. Like Mafia has the town Resistance has Blue. 2Rooms kinda works since it's also Blue. A hidden team game works better for what I'm thinking. I was didn't want to have too complex a system for out of thread communication, and codenames might need it. The spymaster would also have to be out of the game in some way as they would need to not die, or I make backup spymasters if case of elimination. I could possibly make it work for codenames, I think I know a way that might work for me to do it but it'd need some work.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also... we need to play codenames on skype somehow... is that possible

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
codenames is loving brilliant guys

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Max posted:

Yeah, both 2 Rooms games have since been archived, here's what I remember about those games:

1. We had two threads that we all agreed not to read when not in the room. This meant that if we were moved to another room, we could only read from the beginning of the day we entered, and had to be trusted not to read earlier. I think people adhered to it.

2. Game 1, I played as a VT bomb team member. I happened to find the bomb very early on, and became their personal bodyguard, essentially. Because I had no restrictions on the information I could share and was a fairly unimportant role, I could afford to do all the information gathering for the bomb. Because I had done enough ground work, we were able to take over the votes in one room and I was instated as the king of the room, and successful figured out which room the president would be in and sent the bomb there.

3. Game 2, we played with neutral roles. There were some that could become a specific team member. I ended up as the sniper, so I had to find my target and kill them as my final game action. Again, this was secretly over powered, as I quickly realized I could just do my own information gathering and then trade that information to find the target. Eventually I learned who the president was and just threatened to ruin the game for that team if they didn't tell me what I needed to know.

4. Everyone had a limit of 5 PM's they could send to players.

5. You revealed your info to the other players on your own, the mod didn't facilitate that.

1. I kind of need 1 thread since there are other things going on at the same time. Unless it's two rooms, each with mafia and resistance happening at the same time.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Amoeba102 posted:

I still want to run my three dimensional win condition mafia, but I can only figure out two of the dimensions. Basically Mafia meets Resistance meets ???

Wall Monitor ran a 3 axis mafia game a while back, it was a lot of fun, I'll see if I can find it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I really want Codenames. And Spyfall. For the next board game thing I go to. There are a dozen people going and maybe a dozen more if everyone decides to go. It's kind of a nightmare at times - but they insist on inviting everyone and then figuring out what to do rather than inviting for what they want to do. It'll be Werewolf and then people will leave and then it'll be Avalon. Or if they get brave people will split up, but I don't see that happening.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Wall Monitor ran a 3 axis mafia game a while back, it was a lot of fun, I'll see if I can find it.

And four axis mafia too.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Also mafia thread: It looks like I made it to the semi pros in dodgeball. Should be going to a tournament in a few months.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am actually too good at Spyfall. Like I am decent at most board games, but Spyfall I loving kill it in.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Actually I am bad at most board games where I can not bully people.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Those axis mafia is not wuite what I want to do, since win conditions are predicated on team elimination. I only want one axis to be team elimination. One other is going to be resistance like events. The third, unsure.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Amoeba102 posted:

Those axis mafia is not wuite what I want to do, since win conditions are predicated on team elimination. I only want one axis to be team elimination. One other is going to be resistance like events. The third, unsure.

Quantum Leap was a good game from ancient history that used resistance missions + mafia, although there weren't orthogonal alignments and it doesn't help you with a 3rd mechanic :shrug:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3187447

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yo I want to see how we got the battle results we did.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Max posted:

Yo I want to see how we got the battle results we did.

Yeah, worlds slowest post game thread opening.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Lord of Hats posted:

Time for me to eat like a million lynches in future games :getin:

I am so proud of you.

Stay determined.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
oh no you all posted in here instead of in there :mad: rude

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
hey while you guys discuss that game let's have some tunes

https://www.dubtrack.fm/join/sa-wifom-omgus

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

BottleKnight posted:

DO IT come on.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

all my x-com guys were doing an exalt extraction mission and going back to the evac point and i didn't realize the car they were huddled around was on fire!!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

When is "when I get back"?

Mid march

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

all my x-com guys were doing an exalt extraction mission and going back to the evac point and i didn't realize the car they were huddled around was on fire!!

:laffo:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Is anyone recruiting for traditional Mafia

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BottleKnight posted:

please come in here i am in here and as everyone knows i have the best music taste in mafia

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm warming to the idea of having codenames be the third axis.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tremendous Taste posted:

Is anyone recruiting for traditional Mafia

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763976

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jake

Is that real

Will that actually be Mafia

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my name is pbs newshour and i am not watching the pbs newshour debate

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

PBS Newshour posted:

my name is pbs newshour and i am not watching the pbs newshour debate

*capps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

*capbs