Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I'm actually working on UW Turbofog for Modern but it's not quite done. I doubt it's any good outside of beating Eldrazi but it's really funny and satisfies my need for lovely Mill decks. It even runs former PT winner Sphinx's Tutelage!

Do you actually have a good matchup against the colorless build? I feel like they can just land a chalice on 1 and/or 2 and you'll eventually run out of castable fogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
There's a fun Mono White TurboFog deck I top 3'd a local modern event out of like 40 people.

Basically you just run all the white fogs (Holy Day, Ethereal Haze, Angelsong, Dawn Charms) and then just have 4 Font of Mythos, Howling Mines some elixirs for recycling and just fill your opponent out. It's stupid and fun and causes which the reaction

Back up wincon is just run some Luminarch Ascensions and beatdown with 4/4 Angels.

edit: Sideboard Disenchants for Chalice SB tech

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

There's a fun Mono White TurboFog deck I top 3'd a local modern event out of like 40 people.

Basically you just run all the white fogs (Holy Day, Ethereal Haze, Angelsong, Dawn Charms) and then just have 4 Font of Mythos, Howling Mines some elixirs for recycling and just fill your opponent out. It's stupid and fun and causes which the reaction

Back up wincon is just run some Luminarch Ascensions and beatdown with 4/4 Angels.

This sounds like my kind of deck

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Would you care to share a list with the rest of the class?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
oh yeah I forgot the actual best fog deck ever which was wake

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

I legitimately love matchups where the tron gameplan turns into 'tick up Karn on your own fatties and reset the game' so this deck sounds great imo

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

magic is saved

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Fiend Computer posted:

Would you care to share a list with the rest of the class?

It's 61 cards but you draw so much it doesn't matter:

Land:

Plains x19
Ghost Quarter x2
Reliquary Tower

Spells:

Dawn Charm x4
Ethereal Haze x4
Holy Day x4
Angelsong x3 (can run Batwing Brune if you wanna splash B)

Enchantment:

Luminarch Ascension x2
Oblivion Ring x3
Leyline Of Sanctity x3 (These can probably be SB but I ran them main)

Artifacts:

Temple Bell x4
Howling Mine x4
Font of Mythos x3
Isochron Septer x2
Elixir of Immortality x2

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I'm sure the deck could be tweaked to run better but it's "Trolly" and nobody will ever expect to play against it. Best of all it's super budget friendly. A friend said about throwing in a singleton Mikokoro but I think it was like $16.00 at the time so I just ran another Plains.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Ensnaring Bridge is super good against Eldrazi. Lantern Control hoses it pretty hard.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Can't UR Eldrazi just run vandalblast sideboard? Between that and chalice it seems like lantern control would be in trouble. Helps vs affinity, too.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rogue0071 posted:

Can't UR Eldrazi just run vandalblast sideboard? Between that and chalice it seems like lantern control would be in trouble. Helps vs affinity, too.

the thing about lantern is you, you have to have your sideboard tech in your opening 7 basically or you don't get to draw it.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

jassi007 posted:

the thing about lantern is you, you have to have your sideboard tech in your opening 7 basically or you don't get to draw it.

That is typically true of every matchup in Modern. Edit: To go into it a little more. You typically only get about 4 or 5 draw steps in modern before the game is probably decided (you might not be dead, but somebody has a pretty inevitable advantage at this point). If it's not in your opening hand, it's probably not gonna show up. If your gonna try to "draw into" your sweet anti affinity/burn sideboard tech, you just gonna be dead. And even drawing into it might not be enough, sense you probably had to make less optimal plays where you chump blocked or what have you just to stay alive.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 11, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

Or you could have it and get it Thoughtsiezed out.

Shamshel
Sep 20, 2003

Angel of phallic symbols
Oh my oh my please please please let Eldrazi vs Lantern be the modern defining matchup, at least for a little while.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Shamshel posted:

Oh my oh my please please please let Eldrazi vs Lantern be the modern defining matchup, at least for a little while.

The problem is that most players, even in a format full of $1,000 decks like Modern, are casual tryhards. We're not likely to go buy $400 of cards that don't have any use in anything else we have just to beat up Eldrazi for like 2 months before it gets banned.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that most players, even in a format full of $1,000 decks like Modern, are casual tryhards. We're not likely to go buy $400 of cards that don't have any use in anything else we have just to beat up Eldrazi for like 2 months before it gets banned.

Yep, I just won't play Modern until the next B&R update because the eldrazi decks look horrifically unfun to play against.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Cactrot posted:

Yep, I just won't play Modern until the next B&R update because the eldrazi decks look horrifically unfun to play against.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Same, but I'll definitely be trying to take advantage and sell some cards that have spiked in this stupidity.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Eldrazi is dumb because I just bought the last bits of stuff I needed for KCI Eggs and now all my faith's rewards are gonna get taken by thought-knot seers.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/697902770095919104

Art is probably back from when they were only going to have one waste in the set. Too bad, cause the art is nice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Same, but I'll definitely be trying to take advantage and sell some cards that have spiked in this stupidity.

Trading a playset for eldrazi mimics at the height of their value was about as pleasing for me as buying a set rabblemasters for 4$. I honestly still try to jam loving rabblemasters in modern fail miserably.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Art is probably back from when they were only going to have one waste in the set. Too bad, cause the art is nice.

I quite like the Moon Rune one on the left, although the middle one is also decent. The black 1 in a circle just looks silly.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The black 1 would look right at home next to the old bent T tap symbol.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The black 1 seems like it does the opposite of what I thought the whole point was, removing the ambiguity between colorless and generic mana.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jenx posted:

I quite like the Moon Rune one on the left, although the middle one is also decent. The black 1 in a circle just looks silly.

It's cool but way too close to Phyrexian mana IMO, I'm guessing they dropped it for the same reason.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

Same, just ditched the last of my Eldrazi lands because at least some of them are for sure gonna get banned.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

jassi007 posted:

Chalice on 1 (protected by spellskite) helps vs both the mill and thoughtseize plan.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Seems like ultimately we got the right colorless symbol though. The two on the left are ok but the one we have is better.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
twitch.tv/lsv

Six picks in, LSV has a Stone Haven Outfitter, a Hedron Crawler, and 4 Bone Saws.

Also lol Death's Shadow is so bad in the Pro Tour Gauntlet online.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

LSV is doing it on stream right now. Just passed on a fifth Bone Saw for a Weapons Trainer, he's hoping he cut the bone saw archetype enough to wheel it.

E: 6 Bone Saws

Flea Bargain fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 12, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

wildfire1 posted:

LSV is doing it on stream right now. Just passed on a fifth Bone Saw for a Weapons Trainer, he's hoping he cut the bone saw archetype enough to wheel it.

Midway through second pack, 5 bone saws.

Edit: End of second pack, up to 6.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hahaha LSV has a framed Goblinslide print behind him now

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bone Saw 2-0s before anyone else in the pod has finished with game 1

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

"I wish I had drawn a Bone Saw instead of Tyrant of Valakut"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man, was modern not enough? Does LSV really have to break OOB draft as well??

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Hahaha LSV has a framed Goblinslide print behind him now

:retrogames: that's the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted: