Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

come to OCS with me we'll be bunk mates and tell ghost stories at night*

*anal fisting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortably Numb
Dec 31, 2004

no balls

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

MurderBot posted:

come to OCS with me we'll be bunk mates and tell ghost stories at night*

*anal fisting

they're loving racks nasty

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
I hit 5 years last month and missed zone for staff by one promotion period after they revised the zones (I originally was in zone).

Pog life.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Cutting score for Corporal was higher when I was trying to pick up in 09-10 than it is right now.

Jesus christ even 0351 is in the 1600s.

Y'all are dumb.

semper my fi from the sight black

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Victor Vermis posted:

Cutting score for Corporal was higher when I was trying to pick up in 09-10 than it is right now.

Jesus christ even 0351 is in the 1600s.

Y'all are dumb.

semper my fi from the sight black

I have less than one enlistment until I retire.

vains
May 26, 2004

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Gotta suck to be one of the dudes that got dropped for failing stuff alongside the chicks

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Don't join the marines ok

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

just a reminder

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
yo dad farm where did you go?!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I have less than one enlistment until I retire.

Do you get a shorter last enlistment of do you just have to grin and take those extra years past 20?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Reverand maynard posted:

Do you get a shorter last enlistment of do you just have to grin and take those extra years past 20?

You can specify the length of extensions and re enlistments. So I will retire at like 20 years and 2 months so my son has a chance to finish that year of school before we move.

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

I've been telling you the negatives here because a lot of people aren't going to tell you them. Either they're some official person like a recruiter or a kool-aid drinker that thinks serving Corps and Country is the best thing anybody could ever do and, or they're victim to an institutional cowardice where everybody is afraid of being the guy that complains about the actual things that suck and are wrong. Sure, everybody will complain about sleeping in cold mud and eating MREs all the time, or how much rucks suck, but most Marines are terrified of being the guy that complains about an NCO being an unprofessional rear end or how base policies at a schoolhouse command don't make sense. "It couldn't possibly be changed before you leave, why bother complaining?" is something I've been told a lot.

When I was in MOS school, we were a few days from graduating and we were told to get online and fill out an evaluation. Despite knowing I was graduating top of my class, I was pretty disenchanted with my experience at MOS school and the Marine Corps in general. When we were actually training and learnign how to do our (very hands-on) job, I enjoyed it but at least half of our time was spent doing absolutely jack poo poo. There was a two week period where, instead of getting our humvee license (because it rained during our night drive so two weeks of training was cancelled) we sat in a thunder dome and PTed three times a day. We were still getting up at 0400 and not being released until 1800 despite the fact that absolutely nothing was going on. This is all at a detachment where we routinely told how garbage we were, where there was a draconian libo policy (there was essentially a 700 yard square area where we could go by ourselves, anywhere else we had to sign out and have a libo buddy), where we watched the base commander make a 18 year old PFC cry and call his little sister and tell her he was getting NJPed because he went into town without a buddy. On Memorial Day, they wouldn't tell us whether or not we were actually getting a 96 until the night before, so no one could go home or make plans with family.

So I wrote all that. How it was a waste of time and only helped lessen our morale. Despite this supposedly being anonymous I was somehow found out and I was belittled in front of the company by our Master Sergeant for being a pussy and a complainer. I was nearly stripped of being honor grad despite earning it fair and square. Thankfully things got a lot better when I hit the fleet and I'm in a pretty chill unit but that one moment ruined the Marine Corps for me. Three years ago and I'm still salty.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Yarville posted:

When I was in MOS school, we were a few days from graduating and we were told to get online and fill out an evaluation. Despite knowing I was graduating top of my class, I was pretty disenchanted with my experience at MOS school and the Marine Corps in general. When we were actually training and learnign how to do our (very hands-on) job, I enjoyed it but at least half of our time was spent doing absolutely jack poo poo. There was a two week period where, instead of getting our humvee license (because it rained during our night drive so two weeks of training was cancelled) we sat in a thunder dome and PTed three times a day. We were still getting up at 0400 and not being released until 1800 despite the fact that absolutely nothing was going on. This is all at a detachment where we routinely told how garbage we were, where there was a draconian libo policy (there was essentially a 700 yard square area where we could go by ourselves, anywhere else we had to sign out and have a libo buddy), where we watched the base commander make a 18 year old PFC cry and call his little sister and tell her he was getting NJPed because he went into town without a buddy. On Memorial Day, they wouldn't tell us whether or not we were actually getting a 96 until the night before, so no one could go home or make plans with family.

So I wrote all that. How it was a waste of time and only helped lessen our morale. Despite this supposedly being anonymous I was somehow found out and I was belittled in front of the company by our Master Sergeant for being a pussy and a complainer. I was nearly stripped of being honor grad despite earning it fair and square. Thankfully things got a lot better when I hit the fleet and I'm in a pretty chill unit but that one moment ruined the Marine Corps for me. Three years ago and I'm still salty.

You should've snuck out after fire watch and walked to the nearest MOS school. A DUSTWUN might've gotten the right kind of attention.

vains
May 26, 2004

Yarville posted:

so...a typical SOI experience for 03s?

also, lol at hmmvw school honor graduate.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I didn't get to be the honor grad or whatever despite being the section guide through most of SOI because one guy outscored me on the tests.

He also got Corporal ahead of me in the fleet and was my squad leader on our second pump. He thought "HVT" meant "kill on sight".

He shares Trump2016 stuff on Facebook now.

Do your pull ups, devils.

vains
May 26, 2004

soi high gpa award winner here. the 0311 course was very academically rigorous so it was quite an accomplishment.

lol

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

I didn't get to be the honor grad or whatever despite being the section guide through most of SOI because one guy outscored me on the tests.

He also got Corporal ahead of me in the fleet and was my squad leader on our second pump. He thought "HVT" meant "kill on sight".

He shares Trump2016 stuff on Facebook now.

Do your pull ups, devils.

gently caress off guide

Comfortably Numb
Dec 31, 2004

Yarville posted:

There was a two week period where, instead of getting our humvee license (because it rained during our night drive so two weeks of training was cancelled)

what. Our instructors thought it was good training to low crawl through storm drain runoff ditches and 2 guys literally got hospitalized because fire watch found them near death in the rack and the EMT's came and took them to the ER. cause 03's ruh

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
thats how you separate the wheat from the chaff

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Comfortably Numb posted:

what. Our instructors thought it was good training to low crawl through storm drain runoff ditches and 2 guys literally got hospitalized because fire watch found them near death in the rack and the EMT's came and took them to the ER. cause 03's ruh

Sounds like some solid training tbh

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Comfortably Numb posted:

MARINE CORPSE, indeed

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Thump! posted:

Sounds like some solid training tbh

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Probably the most random question I'll ever ask in these forums but here it goes....

I work with statistical data for a living and right now I'm looking over the numbers of personnel in each branch by rank, gender, etc.

Anyhow, at the end of FY2010, there were about 802 Female CWO-2's in the Marines (up from 39 the previous year), only to drop down to 42 the year after that. I cannot find anything anywhere that explains why there was a sudden surge of female CWO's for a year only to see the number drop very rapidly the next year. It's a long shot, but does anyone have any possible insight into why that number jumped up and then crashed down?

The only explanation my civilian brain can think of is that it maybe had something to do with the Female Engagement Teams in Afghanistan. Or DoD/SecNav is just doing some weird accounting trick for that particular year.

Even if no one can answer my question, at least I got the joy of reading the OPs "Duty" story... :stare:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
someone was drunk and or retarded when punching in the numbers for that year

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

someone was drunk and or retarded when punching in the numbers for that year

Probably a woman.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Handsome Ralph posted:

Probably the most random question I'll ever ask in these forums but here it goes....

I work with statistical data for a living and right now I'm looking over the numbers of personnel in each branch by rank, gender, etc.

Anyhow, at the end of FY2010, there were about 802 Female CWO-2's in the Marines (up from 39 the previous year), only to drop down to 42 the year after that. I cannot find anything anywhere that explains why there was a sudden surge of female CWO's for a year only to see the number drop very rapidly the next year. It's a long shot, but does anyone have any possible insight into why that number jumped up and then crashed down?

The only explanation my civilian brain can think of is that it maybe had something to do with the Female Engagement Teams in Afghanistan. Or DoD/SecNav is just doing some weird accounting trick for that particular year.

Even if no one can answer my question, at least I got the joy of reading the OPs "Duty" story... :stare:

According to the Military OneSource report on DoD demographics for FY 2010, there were a little over 840 total W2s in the Marine Corps on active duty for that year (page 13). Additionally, there were only 110 female warrant officers. They probably just input the total number in the female block for some reason.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Deathy McDeath posted:

According to the Military OneSource report on DoD demographics for FY 2010, there were a little over 840 total W2s in the Marine Corps on active duty for that year (page 13). Additionally, there were only 110 female warrant officers. They probably just input the total number in the female block for some reason.

That explains it. We have a completely different source file to work from so this helps clear things up.

Thanks!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

My mom got one of these shirts ages ago from a friend when I graduated boot. Thankfully she never wore it

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My wife was joking about if we end up in Quantico she wants to be the most prominent Dependa on base. His boots her flip flop decals, "marine wife, hardest job in the military" shirt, no job and use my rank to establish where she fits with other dependas.

It's a joke, but I now have nightmares.

Comfortably Numb
Dec 31, 2004

Mike-o posted:

Probably a woman.

are you implying she did work?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

My wife was joking about if we end up in Quantico she wants to be the most prominent Dependa on base. His boots her flip flop decals, "marine wife, hardest job in the military" shirt, no job and use my rank to establish where she fits with other dependas.

It's a joke, but I now have nightmares.

you misspelled portent

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yo. I just read The White Donkey by the guy who does Terminal Lance.

That book is HEAVY. gently caress.

Really good read, but...goddamn.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yo. I just read The White Donkey by the guy who does Terminal Lance.

That book is HEAVY. gently caress.

Really good read, but...goddamn.

Yeah, I shot him an email after I read it. Hell of a book.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Matterhorn was the last book I read about Marines that was any good.

vains
May 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Matterhorn was the last book I read about Marines that was any good.

matterhorn and fields of fire were weird to read. you hear about dudes living on remote pbs in afghanistan; eating 2 mres/day if they're lucky, never showing, washing their clothes in a bucket, 4hrs on/4hrs off/4 ever, redipping the same can for a week, etc and think 'gently caress im glad im not there' but all those guys in vietnam lived like loving animals. drank parasite infested water, never bathed, never slept, wore their uniform until it rotted off their bodies, wondered seemingly aimlessly around their ao for their entire enlistment.

i cant imagine what it was like.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah loving Forrestal said the flag on Iwo meant a Marine Corpse for another five hundred years, but looks like it might be time to wrap it up early, rah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

matterhorn and fields of fire were weird to read. you hear about dudes living on remote pbs in afghanistan; eating 2 mres/day if they're lucky, never showing, washing their clothes in a bucket, 4hrs on/4hrs off/4 ever, redipping the same can for a week, etc and think 'gently caress im glad im not there' but all those guys in vietnam lived like loving animals. drank parasite infested water, never bathed, never slept, wore their uniform until it rotted off their bodies, wondered seemingly aimlessly around their ao for their entire enlistment.

i cant imagine what it was like.

We had some dudes in PBs in Marjah that we could only reach via air for resupply but we rotated squads through those patrol bases every couple of weeks. Then that squad would chill for a week at the COP before being rotated back to an easier patrol base. Reading Matterhorn was sobering for sure. I can see why folks got fed up and started fragging officers.

• Locked thread