Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Are there any good let's plays of IW? I tried to play through it and I really enjoyed the story but I the loading screens almost drove me insane. One day the game stopped loading so I just uninstalled it instead of trying to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

GUI posted:

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 were PC to Console ports rather than the other way around like it was with IW.

They were also made on engines that the people working there knew how to use, rather than a cobbled together hack made by someone who left the company

Sleeveless posted:

I can't really say that Invisible War had good writing when one of the biggest disappointments was the complete lack of impact your choices had, including having the leaders of factions you've slaughtered armies of still treating you like their errand boy and asking you to do fetch quests 3/4s of the way through the game instead of just shooting on site.

Ah, remember the Kieron Gillen review for PC Gamer which praised the ability to make choices :v: (the father of all the Dragon Age 2 reviews that praised its reactivity, and abusive stepfather to the Alpha Protocol reviews that criticised its linearity)

Really though this was just an early example of something incredibly common now in RPGs - the inconsequential decision. More recent Bioware games have explicitly been designed so that a player can see basically everything on their first playthrough, argued due to most players not finishing the game/playing it more than once.

This is what is technically called an "arse backwards use of statistics", because it assumes that, eg, people buy a game then play it until they hate it and then stop. It's not 1989 any more, everyone has a Steam backlog.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

superstepa posted:

Are there any good let's plays of IW? I tried to play through it and I really enjoyed the story but I the loading screens almost drove me insane. One day the game stopped loading so I just uninstalled it instead of trying to fix it.

The one from 2008 that was lost to divx archives was probably the best one.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Really though this was just an early example of something incredibly common now in RPGs - the inconsequential decision. More recent Bioware games have explicitly been designed so that a player can see basically everything on their first playthrough, argued due to most players not finishing the game/playing it more than once.

There was a pseudo, aggregated let's play of the original deus ex by a few of the developers for them to reminisce over, and they talked about how lovely it is that modern AAA games cost so drat much that developers try to make sure every player sees as much of their super high rendered content as possible, and how that's really lovely because it's way better for several different people to play a game on their own, find and experience different things, and then compare their experiences with friends who might have gone through the whole thing entirely differently. They're totally right too.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

There was a pseudo, aggregated let's play of the original deus ex by a few of the developers for them to reminisce over, and they talked about how lovely it is that modern AAA games cost so drat much that developers try to make sure every player sees as much of their super high rendered content as possible, and how that's really lovely because it's way better for several different people to play a game on their own, find and experience different things, and then compare their experiences with friends who might have gone through the whole thing entirely differently. They're totally right too.

Yeah that was the best part of Deus Ex. Every time I play through that game I discover something new, whether it's an alternate path or a conversation or just a secret stash, and that's not an exaggeration.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I wouldn't mind a de-make... I'm surprised someone hasn't attempted to make Invisible War in the DX1 engine.

That's not a bad idea. I'm talking about a totally different game (2D vs 3D, for a start), but some clever Japanese chap did demakes of Mega Man 7 and 8 in the NES style, and they were brilliant.

Apart from the rocket sled bits in MM8, but he was just being faithful to the source, of course.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yeah that was the best part of Deus Ex. Every time I play through that game I discover something new, whether it's an alternate path or a conversation or just a secret stash, and that's not an exaggeration.

Although, to be fair to modern game developers, cleverly hidden secrets that only a small portion of gamers are ever going find really is impossible in the internet age.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Although, to be fair to modern game developers, cleverly hidden secrets that only a small portion of gamers are ever going find really is impossible in the internet age.

This is true, but it can still be fun to go on a journey of discovery. Frog Fractions did this really well, though there weren't any secrets really involved (apart from obscure things you needed to do to progress).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

counterfeitsaint posted:

People say this, but then when games make an effort to do this you have people complaining about, say, not understanding the ending of Undertale and then not willing to play through it again to unlock the "true" ending or see how it reacted to their first playthrough.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

People say this, but then when games make an effort to do this you have people complaining about, say, not understanding the ending of Undertale and then not willing to play through it again to unlock the "true" ending or see how it reacted to their first playthrough.

As a counter point: From Software's continued successes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

The argument is that it's better, not that every single person will appreciate it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
New discoveries on this run through: the alternative ladder and vent entrance into the armoury where your things are kept in the MJ12 base, and the hidden ladder to nowhere in the Hong Kong markets that gives you skill points. God drat game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

New discoveries on this run through: the alternative ladder and vent entrance into the armoury where your things are kept in the MJ12 base, and the hidden ladder to nowhere in the Hong Kong markets that gives you skill points. God drat game.

What!!!!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcu0sXioF9c&t=118s

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I just about died laughing just now when I accidentally started a conversation with the kid in the NSF tunnels who tells you about the commander, and the two NSF guys near the bathrooms noticed (thanks to GMDX's increased AI detection) and immediately chucked two grenades at us. The angle was perfect, the camera was sorta top-down when it happened so I saw them land right at our feet and start beeping while I scrambled to try and get out of the conversation. Too late though, they got me, the kid, and the kid's dog. It was perfect.

I didn't even know you could be attacked while conversations were happening, I dunno if I just never noticed before or if GMDX changed that.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
That sounds like something GMDX did. Normally they'll run up to you and then politely wait for you to finish your conversion with their guns trained to your head.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Things like that happen unfortunately too frequently on GMDX on Realistic; it's annoying to remote open a door or break open a box and have a soldier run over from sometimes absurdly across the map to you. I doubt I'd go back to vanilla, but I might play Normal difficulty next time (or, the time after Revision whenever I do that next}

On the topic of finding new things still, I'm pretty sure I usually miss the stash in the boathouse on the first level and the stealth way to do Castle Clinton {if you explore the shacktown first it overwrites the trigger I believe). But the real :psyduck: moment for me this time is that in the first level if you attack/antagonize the NSF Colonel Leo Gold and run away the mission ends and you get a message from Alex chastising you because he'll probably get killed fleeing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I understand that we are discovering new things every day but I don't think we need spoiler tags for a game old enough to drink in some countries.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Stash in the boathouse??? DX what are you hiding from me this time.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Jeoh posted:

I understand that we are discovering new things every day but I don't think we need spoiler tags for a game old enough to drink in some countries.

For what it's worth, I think some of us intend to go back through DX1 with GMDX and I'd like not to have things I still haven't found get spoiled. Just my opinion, of course.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_63DYAi5jY

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Throwing knives are ridiculously powerful in GMDX. New favorite weapon, especially because it compliments the DTS.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I always go for the sunken ship at Liberty Island because it has some nice mods in it and a Sawed-Off Shotgun, which means that I can start upgrading it as soon as the game starts if I plan on using it throughout the game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:vince::perfect:

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Second-favorite activity in GMDX: using the strength aug to fling corpses against walls and ceilings so hard they explode, painting rooms in blood, sending a message to all who dare oppose me.

Favorite activity: same idea, but using it to turn an unconscious MiB into an RPG. :madmax:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Has anyone got Deus ex working with an oculus rift? #abomb

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Looks like GMDX took away the silencer I was looking forward to from the MJ12 armory. :argh: Anyone know where the earliest you can get one is now? Am I stuck waiting for the freighter (assuming that one's still there)?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Crindee posted:

Looks like GMDX took away the silencer I was looking forward to from the MJ12 armory. :argh: Anyone know where the earliest you can get one is now? Am I stuck waiting for the freighter (assuming that one's still there)?

There was one for sale in the convenience store in Hong Kong. I think the one on the freighter is still there.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

Throwing knives are ridiculously powerful in GMDX. New favorite weapon, especially because it compliments the DTS.
Throwing anything! is ridiculously powerful in GMDX, even having most usable items causing non-lethal damage. But it's fun to figure out, even if it's insanely abusable.

Also the mod does, like, the opposite of fixing vanilla and makes the heavy lifting even more of a better choice than the alternative while not really making the new speed combat aug very good. The DTS is nerfed in many ways, including targeted damage (hint: view the crowbar's description) and carrying it just for "utility" (if you don't care about "I must have a melee" then use the sniper rifle, it's modable so easier to break doors without putting skill points into Low-Tech. Though really doors seem to have pretty high thresholds so you should just save LAMs and upgrade Lockpicking [which is more common then Electronics]).

Also, I'm not sure laser actually gives perfect accuracy anymore? Either that or I hit some weird reticule bug.

Really, though, I wanted to post that I've been trying out this OpenAL renderer (environmental 3D audio) and been really impressed with it. It really does provide spatial audio to a near Thief-like level if you mod it in. That said, I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have in-ear earbuds, and there's quite a bit of bugs and sound quality issues (a lot of reverb, audio bugs like mod music errors get reintroduced, quite a bit of noise, some bad blocking, etc.).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I"m playing a pure lethal run where I kill every NSF and MJ12 bastard I find. It's actually really fun and a nice change of pace. My goal is to use pistols and heavy weapons, along with some more liberal grenade usage. I've been doing some paths I haven't done in years, like attack Castle Clinton and clear out the subway without the bombs going off (which is a lot easier than I remembered). I never noticed before, but UNATCO guys will say things like "Next time, save some for us" if you go in guns blazing and kill a majority of enemies in Liberty Island and Castle Clinton.

Killing everyone on Liberty Island isn't hard at all. The key is to face each NSF guy one at a time with stealth. Having two or more guys firing at you in close quarters and no cover will easily get you killed. There isn't enough 10mm ammo to kill everyone with the 10mm Pistol, so I snuck up and shanked several dudes with the Knife to conserve ammo. Go for the scope mod from Kaplan ASAP; it makes getting headshots much, much easier on Liberty Island.

Also, I learned that you can pretty much remove the constant shaking when using a scoped weapon at low levels by focusing on an enemy, just like how you normally remove spread when firing a gun. Pretty handy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

closeted republican posted:

I"m playing a pure lethal run where I kill every NSF and MJ12 bastard I find. It's actually really fun and a nice change of pace. My goal is to use pistols and heavy weapons, along with some more liberal grenade usage. I've been doing some paths I haven't done in years, like attack Castle Clinton and clear out the subway without the bombs going off (which is a lot easier than I remembered). I never noticed before, but UNATCO guys will say things like "Next time, save some for us" if you go in guns blazing and kill a majority of enemies in Liberty Island and Castle Clinton.

In my experience, they also say that if you tranq/prod them all. The game mechanics don't really make a distinction between dead and unconscious (the only difference IIRC is that when an enemy is knocked out, its tag is hacked to add " (unconscious)" to it, otherwise it's exactly the same thing as when they're killed, and this makes nonlethal runs broken in localized versions of the game because the code will still be looking if "(unconscious)" is part of the corpse's tag but it'll have been translated to something else so the answer will be "no").

The gameplay for knocking out everyone isn't much different than the one for killing them all: sneak around, take them one at time, etc. You'll just have less ammo overall so there are some you'll have to take down with the baton.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

In my experience, they also say that if you tranq/prod them all. The game mechanics don't really make a distinction between dead and unconscious (the only difference IIRC is that when an enemy is knocked out, its tag is hacked to add " (unconscious)" to it, otherwise it's exactly the same thing as when they're killed, and this makes nonlethal runs broken in localized versions of the game because the code will still be looking if "(unconscious)" is part of the corpse's tag but it'll have been translated to something else so the answer will be "no").

The gameplay for knocking out everyone isn't much different than the one for killing them all: sneak around, take them one at time, etc. You'll just have less ammo overall so there are some you'll have to take down with the baton.

I think the gameplay similarities between lethal and non-lethal only applies at on Liberty Island Once you reach Castle Clinton, gameplay between nonlethal and lethal starts diverging. I was able to take down all of the guys in the subway station just fine when they attacked me at once with a 10mm Pistol and Advanced Pistol skill, while that'd be suicide as a non-lethal character. If you explore a bit, you should have a decent collection of LAMs and WP rockets for OHKO crowd control by the time you reach the generator, which non-lethal can't do. Lethal has a lot more augs that can help make up for JC's frailty, so jumping into the fray is quicker and more powerful than using stealth and picking them off one by one after you get a bit into the game.

Of course, you can still stand back and pick off people one by one as a lethal character T(here are some cases where this is a better idea, even when you're auged out late in the game), but lethal lets you get a lot more aggressive and has a lot more options than non-lethal does.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The subway station is easy as hell as a nonlethal character. Just drop some gas grenades. They can't trigger the explosives if they're gassed, and you can pop them with tranqs for easy takedowns.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

The subway station is easy as hell as a nonlethal character. Just drop some gas grenades. They can't trigger the explosives if they're gassed, and you can pop them with tranqs for easy takedowns.

You don't even need to attack as a non-lethal character. Just sneak in through the vents near the sbuway station and talk to one of the hostages without getting detected (easy, because there's a vent almost next to one of them). They'll run to the train without the NSF noticing, and you'll complete the objective without any NSF aggroing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

closeted republican posted:

You don't even need to attack as a non-lethal character. Just sneak in through the vents near the sbuway station and talk to one of the hostages without getting detected (easy, because there's a vent almost next to one of them). They'll run to the train without the NSF noticing, and you'll complete the objective without any NSF aggroing.

What the poo poo? I'm still learning things about this after 20 years.

What a game.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Every playthrough it always takes a couple attempts to speak to the hostages before the guard walks back into range to see me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bought a new computer and am re-installing this, but the link in the OP for Biomod seems to be down. Is there somewhere else I can get it or do I have to go digging through my external drive to see if I saved a copy last time I installed it?

E: New Vision is down too.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
You can find Biomod and New Vision at ModDB nowadays.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Jesus the Flamethrower is a loving beast of a weapon. A single puff will set regular soldiers on fire, which makes them unable to attack and will eventually kill them. Combining it with the level 4 Speed Aug and Advanced Heavy skill lets you zoom around like Sonic while torching every regular soldier without them having a chance at fighting back. Pop a Ballistic Armor for protection for the ones that can pop a round off before you roast 'em, and you are unstoppable.

EDIT: Toasty time!

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Also, it's a nearly silent take down :v: does the screaming alert other soldiers?