Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
You need to be on his council and have a favor with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah the mercenary thing doesn't seem to have any useful benefit. If you're a big realm then your merc band will be huge but just as expensive per soldier as any other merc band--and thus so expensive no one will ever hire them and you won't get any income--you don't get their services any cheaper than anyone else, and their troop composition is based right off of yours and is thus usually inferior to what you get from the similarly priced high end pre-existing merc bands. All you seem to really get out of the deal is occasional pestering from the merc guy for more troops.

Am I missing something?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah the mercenary thing doesn't seem to have any useful benefit. If you're a big realm then your merc band will be huge but just as expensive per soldier as any other merc band--and thus so expensive no one will ever hire them and you won't get any income--you don't get their services any cheaper than anyone else, and their troop composition is based right off of yours and is thus usually inferior to what you get from the similarly priced high end pre-existing merc bands. All you seem to really get out of the deal is occasional pestering from the merc guy for more troops.

Am I missing something?
Doesn't seem like it - my experiences have been the same. Just saps your levies.

Another thing - is it a new thing that you can't revoke a title from people who rebelled when you tried to arrest them, at least until the truce wears off? Because that's a pretty substantial delay, and it seems like kind of implausible.

The recent changes have also unfavorably changed two of my preferred tactics, too. One, the lack of kinsman alliances means that I can no longer safely hand off a new kingdom to a kinsman and defend it for them via the alliance, because I can't actually get an alliance with them unless they're a close relative (cousins apparently don't count either) or I establish a non-aggression pact with a marriage.

Two, the fixed upbringings means that the great majority of the time, I can't abduct kids and tutor them to be of my preferred culture and religion while holding them in jail, because they're stuck being raised for humility or whatever instead of the heritage it would take. This, too, doesn't make a great deal of sense contextually, as a limitation.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 11, 2016

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I just formed my first merchant republic and I'm wondering what my approach to development ought to be. Should I be focusing on trade posts, my family palace or the holdings I've got from being Doge?
Also what does the Doge get when it switches house? Would they get all my cities, would I keep my baronies?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think you keep your cities and baronies except for the capital.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chief Savage Man posted:

I just formed my first merchant republic and I'm wondering what my approach to development ought to be. Should I be focusing on trade posts, my family palace or the holdings I've got from being Doge?
Also what does the Doge get when it switches house? Would they get all my cities, would I keep my baronies?

Assuming you have whatever DLC gives you retinues, build up your military warehouse and palace first to boost your retinue cap. Republics have lesser retinues than feudal leaders, so you need to get your retinue up and going asap. Then focus on military organization and trade practices tech, never losing an election, building trade posts, and loving everything with legs to boost your male courtier count.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Jesus. I just had five years pass with theology focus without an event firing, so I switched over to the business focus...and five years passed with that without an event. Rather annoying. Seems like the only reliable one is scholarship, just because it's an event chain.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
At this point I think I'm going to give up modding CKII until they stop releasing DLC and patches. I'm tired of restarting my mods from scratch because I can't figure out what new feature ruined my previous work. :argh:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Jesus. I just had five years pass with theology focus without an event firing, so I switched over to the business focus...and five years passed with that without an event. Rather annoying. Seems like the only reliable one is scholarship, just because it's an event chain.

This is always going to be the issue with "event-based" focuses (foci?) Although the hands-off nature does make them decent choices when you're busy doing a bunch of stuff and any events they fire would just be a bonus. I find it's difficult to really get a lot out of intrigue/seduction/carousing if I'm in the middle of a big string of wars and micromanaging troops all over the place, and war focus itself isn't always necessary for that situation.

I think the ideal would be if every focus had a special interaction akin to spy/duel/seduce/carouse, but honestly I don't think anything is likely to change related to Way of Life at this point.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Volkerball posted:

loving everything with legs to boost your male courtier count.

Go figure I founded the Republic with an ugly homosexual then. Thanks for the tips, it's definitely different from any game I've played before but I'm looking forward to dominating the North Sea and raising funds for my Aztec Repulsion project that I'll be undergoing in 500 years.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Dear son:

When I make you a gift of the Byzantine Empire, and form an alliance with you so that I can help ensure that it remains yours, please do not insult me by folding to the first claimant faction that comes along.

Sincerely, Dad.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

Dear son:

When I make you a gift of the Byzantine Empire, and form an alliance with you so that I can help ensure that it remains yours, please do not insult me by folding to the first claimant faction that comes along.

Sincerely, Dad.

How's it feel to be the medieval equivalent of a stock broker who is driven to drink because their kids piss away all the money?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Chief Savage Man posted:

How's it feel to be the medieval equivalent of a stock broker who is driven to drink because their kids piss away all the money?
Frustrating.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Ok, so I just spent 150 years scheming, bribing and murdering my way to the French throne, but now the loving Capets are the nominated heirs again and I can't lock it down into primogeniture because it says I need high crown authority.

Where did crown laws get moved to ? I don't see a crown authority bar anywhere. Government type is Carolingian Hegemony; does that mean I just can't do it?

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 12, 2016

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I'm cutting off your credit cards, Alexios!!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Ghetto Prince posted:

Ok, so I just spent 150 years scheming, bribing and murdering my way to the French throne, but now the loving Capets are the nominated heirs again and I can't lock it down into primogeniture because it says I need high crown authority.

Where did crown laws get moved to ? I don't see a crown authority bar anywhere. Government type is Carolingian Hegemony; does that mean I just can't do it?
It's Late Feudal administration you need, at the bottom of Realm laws.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

At this point I think I'm going to give up modding CKII until they stop releasing DLC and patches. I'm tired of restarting my mods from scratch because I can't figure out what new feature ruined my previous work. :argh:

Create diffs of each patch release so you can see what changed, and use a diff of your mod vs trunk to merge your changes into the new patch.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Strudel Man posted:

It's Late Feudal administration you need, at the bottom of Realm laws.

I think that's only true if he actually bought Conclave, if not crown authority is still a thing.

If that's not the case please note that you actually have to scroll down on the realm laws screen to find administration law. It took me like 3 hours of gameplay to figure this out :downs:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh man. The maintaing merc band modifier being made temporary, and then having it renewed every time you accept the offer to add more troops would make it way more useful.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hmmmm.....

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Huh. Well here's some bullshit I just found out: Apparently betrothals forced by a favour? Yeah the AI can break those almost immediately after you form them. That's 1700 gold down the drain.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Gosh dang it this expansion is garbage. Knew i shoulda waited until a sale. I mean it'll get fixed eventually like all p-dox games but it stings a little to get bit in the buttocks like they used to do all the time.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Am I missing something?

Isn't the point of it for smaller realms, which can use the merc system to essentially trade levies for income, while as a side effect creating smaller and more affordable mercenary companies that other small realms can take advantage of?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

Isn't the point of it for smaller realms, which can use the merc system to essentially trade levies for income, while as a side effect creating smaller and more affordable mercenary companies that other small realms can take advantage of?

Yeah I did notice people actually hiring my mercs when I was a smaller tribal realm, which really helped since tribal doesn't really have any steady income at all otherwise (raiding isn't super profitable when you're just surrounded by other tribes, too). Nobody is touching them at 400+ gold after I've gone feudal and formed an empire, though.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
The Republic advice was good thank you. My new goals for the Republic of Mide is that the Doge will always have four lovers and the other four house heads will be Lunatics from their time in the obliuette. This should be an interesting game.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Groogy/Wiz,

Have you guys made congenital traits like Quick, Strong and Genius easier to get or more frequent to appear?
Previously I'd try to land every single genius/quick/strong I could find in my realm of my religion/culture and I'd be hard pressed to find some. I am now literally drowning in men and women of all ages with one or more of these traits. I know strong appears with the struggle focus (if your child doesn't accidentally end up a halfwit) and I saw Quick show up with one of those "girls will be girls/try to steer her focus elsewhere" events. To make it clear, I don't think this is a bad thing at all (I actually rather like these traits showing up at a bit of a later age, who the gently caress knows whether a newborn is strong or a genius) but I want to hear from the horses mouth (Glitterhoof~) whether this is actually the case or just confirmation bias.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Yeah, I'll prolly have a lot of work to do, now that feminism is actually pretty decently put into the laws system and I can strike a shitton of my own personal Messalian religion changes towards that end, but not until a month or 2 pass and the major patches are released by Paradox on this one. But that's just minor functional stuff compared to whatever you have to be doing, so lol - don't even want to imagine what it's like updating the whole of Westeros or poo poo like that along with these updates and DLC.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 12, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I actually like the change to the inheritable traits a lot. Getting these via childhood events makes sense. Why is this character strong just because his mother was strong, while he had a priestly education his whole life? Is high intellect really only inherited?

I just hope they cut down the inheritance chance a lot for these things. And perhaps they could split strong into two traits. A "tough" trait for a resilient constitution, and a strong trait for those who are physically powerful.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Torrannor posted:

A "tough" trait for a resilient constitution, and a strong trait for those who are physically powerful.
That sounds really good, give "tough" a health bonus (larger than strong) and maybe a fertility bonus, but with no vassal opinion improvement and only +1 martial or something. "Strong" could have a moderate health bonus, no fertility bonus, but vassals like your rippling muscles more, and you get a greater martial stat bonus.

Another question, I've noticed now twice that a character dies that was presumably a councilmember somewhere (I get a popup of X is no longer Y for $mycharacter, but they are not on my council at all) and I'm suddenly in the money with 900-1000 tech points in each category. What causes this, and why? I also seem to be getting labelled "tyrant" with a -10 malus every time I execute people, even from another country, during a defensive holy war, and the council hates them too. I went from murdering my way across the realm to just letting them die in prison and hope their regent is a dickhead.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 12, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I broke my string of badly renowned kings, finally. The second Aelfsige (I forgot Aelfsige the Lewd, probably because he was fairly unremarkable) actually got a moniker worthy of him - although calling a warrior king who spent most of his reign stomping on everyone in Britain "the Wise" is a bit odd.

I also set a new personal record for ruler age. I managed to create the custom Empire of Mercia after acquiring the crown of Wales aged 71 then hurriedly waging tributary Wars on most of Ireland to get the remaining 1800 prestige. I thought I was screwed when it formed as Gavelkind and my dog died while the heir I wanted was behind his inferior older brother, but ended up living long enough to change the inheritance laws and to revoke all the powers my council had screwed out of past rulers. I finished off going full Enrico Dandolo, leading troops in battle aged 91 (and still with 26 Martial) before passing away quietly the next year. It was a ride.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hambilderberglar posted:

I went from murdering my way across the realm to just letting them die in prison and hope their regent is a dickhead.

It is really drat stupid that if you want to circumvent the tyranny penalty for an execution all you have to do is oubliette them and wait.

Also stupid: how few things count as legitimate reasons for executions.

Meanwhile:

I've never had the AI ask me for a betrothal before. Definitely never had the three great kings of Latin Christendom fighting to marry an idiot hunchback who's going to have a useless martial education before.

Best guess: they're all looking for alliances to sort this nonsense out:

fakeedit:

Or not??? :confuoot:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Just trying to get a Non-aggression Pact so you don't jump them when they are busy punching each other in the face

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

It is really drat stupid that if you want to circumvent the tyranny penalty for an execution all you have to do is oubliette them and wait.

Really, the stupid thing is that once you get someone in your prison cell, there is basically zero downside to leaving them there forever. I just straight-up release everyone I capture now, unless I can get a big ransom for them or I have some other compelling reason to keep them around.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The new DLC got a lot of really bad reviews on Steam. Are the issues people had with it actual issues and/or resolved yet?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
One of the things I like to do to uppity dukes is to revoke their highest title and then throw them in the oubliette, and raise their child heir personally. The kid grows up to be a loyal patsy, and when they inherit, not only do they not care that their dad died in prison, they're grateful to me for raising them!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hambilderberglar posted:

Groogy/Wiz,

Have you guys made congenital traits like Quick, Strong and Genius easier to get or more frequent to appear?
Previously I'd try to land every single genius/quick/strong I could find in my realm of my religion/culture and I'd be hard pressed to find some. I am now literally drowning in men and women of all ages with one or more of these traits. I know strong appears with the struggle focus (if your child doesn't accidentally end up a halfwit) and I saw Quick show up with one of those "girls will be girls/try to steer her focus elsewhere" events. To make it clear, I don't think this is a bad thing at all (I actually rather like these traits showing up at a bit of a later age, who the gently caress knows whether a newborn is strong or a genius) but I want to hear from the horses mouth (Glitterhoof~) whether this is actually the case or just confirmation bias.

Quick is one of the potential traits kids can get from the curious childhood trait - if they're ALREADY quick when the event fires it will upgrade to genius instead.

They mentioned in the latest dev diary that the next patch may be replacing these with new, non-congenital traits, which makes more sense to me. You can train someone to be strong or smart but it doesn't somehow get encoded in their genes when you do it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Nonsense! Lamarck was right!!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Quick is one of the potential traits kids can get from the curious childhood trait - if they're ALREADY quick when the event fires it will upgrade to genius instead.

They mentioned in the latest dev diary that the next patch may be replacing these with new, non-congenital traits, which makes more sense to me. You can train someone to be strong or smart but it doesn't somehow get encoded in their genes when you do it.

Dont underestimate medieval genetic engeneering technology

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

a7m2 posted:

The new DLC got a lot of really bad reviews on Steam. Are the issues people had with it actual issues and/or resolved yet?

It introduces more challenges for bigger nations to make it more difficult to stomp all over everything forever and effortlessly paint the map, and it mostly kills the ability to effortlessly breed and raise nigh-superhuman children, so naturally people got super angry at it. There are, as usual, some issues with the DLC, but they're fairly minor and the game is quite playable right now; most of the vitriol seems to be directed at the things that make large player-controlled realms less of a trivial snorefest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People are also conflating the DLC with the patch, most of the controversial features came with the latter.

• Locked thread