Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thoht posted:

A lot of things you can develop a sensitivity to over time with repeated exposure. I had a friend who worked in a place that did tons of pretzels and eventually she would have horrible reactions to the lye they used.

Yeah, I thought of that too, but I remembered I learned that from an episode of House so I didn't want to sound authoritative. (A nun developed a copper allergy and kept getting sicker after she stopped being exposed to the copper plated pans they used at the convent, eventually they figured out she'd had a copper IUD many years ago before she was a nun, there were a bunch of heavy handed stigmata metaphors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Absolutely do not let them make you feel guilty for taking Saturday off.

They have all been cool and I haven't heard one "man up" comment. I can't complain. I just feel oddly bad that I won't be there to help.

But after watching a friend noisily die, I would god damned eviscerate someone bitching at me for missing.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I work at a sports bar in Ohio's #2 most heroin-infested county, so I'm more than happy to instead of working be volunteering at a local adoption event for dogs. Not only is this a more worthy cause than serving people who think fried chicken is romantic, being surrounded by puppies will also offset my usual V.D. funk.

Captain Log posted:

They have all been cool and I haven't heard one "man up" comment. I can't complain. I just feel oddly bad that I won't be there to help.

But after watching a friend noisily die, I would god damned eviscerate someone bitching at me for missing.

For what little it's worth, I'm sorry for you man. I can't imagine how much that sucks, but I'm glad that at least your workplace is being humane about it.,

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
8 course prixe fixe, something like $80. Except it's not my problem anymore BECAUSE I'M FINALLY OUT gently caress. Starting my office job tomorrow, hope I don't hate it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Vorenus posted:

I work at a sports bar in Ohio's #2 most heroin-infested county, so I'm more than happy to instead of working be volunteering at a local adoption event for dogs. Not only is this a more worthy cause than serving people who think fried chicken is romantic, being surrounded by puppies will also offset my usual V.D. funk.

For what little it's worth, I'm sorry for you man. I can't imagine how much that sucks, but I'm glad that at least your workplace is being humane about it.,

Butler, Warren or Hamilton?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Man and his dog posted:

What's y'all's places of employment doing for V-Day and how much of a living hell is it going to be?

No idea since I won't be there. It's my weekend off.

Plus, well, it's a hospital so we're not a romantic destination so probably nothing special. We did have some nice stuff for Fat Tuesday at least, although the hot cross buns we got in were awful and dry.

e - on the topic of repeat exposure allergies. Does anyone else get dry hands in the winter with constant changing of gloves? That's the one thing I hate about the season, other than people who can't drive properly for the weather, or just go way to slow. But that's a constant.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 12, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Invisible Ted posted:

8 course prixe fixe, something like $80. Except it's not my problem anymore BECAUSE I'M FINALLY OUT gently caress. Starting my office job tomorrow, hope I don't hate it.

How the gently caress does a human being have 8 courses? I feel fat if I eat 8 chips from the free bowl Mexican restaurants often give you. I can't even think of 8 courses, even with an apertif and digestif drink counted separately I get to about 6 or 7.

Also, 8 courses on a V.D. sounds horrible because it's 16 times your romantic date is interrupted by someone either putting down or picking up stuff from your table. Oh, are you sitting across, holding hands and gazing into each other eyes, this might be the moment where one of you says "I love you?

"Who had the scallops? Careful that's hot"

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Business Gorillas posted:

Butler, Warren or Hamilton?

I'm not sure you're familiar with Ohio if Brown wasn't one of your guesses. I'm outside Cinci proper.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Vorenus posted:

I'm not sure you're familiar with Ohio if Brown wasn't one of your guesses. I'm outside Cinci proper.

I'm familiar enough to know that anything south of Columbus and east of Cincinnati is a barren wasteland :shrug:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm familiar enough to know that anything south of Columbus and east of Cincinnati is a barren wasteland :shrug:

Nevermind you know your Ohio no argument here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

Sorry for your loss dude

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Skwirl posted:

How the gently caress does a human being have 8 courses? I feel fat if I eat 8 chips from the free bowl Mexican restaurants often give you. I can't even think of 8 courses, even with an apertif and digestif drink counted separately I get to about 6 or 7.

Also, 8 courses on a V.D. sounds horrible because it's 16 times your romantic date is interrupted by someone either putting down or picking up stuff from your table. Oh, are you sitting across, holding hands and gazing into each other eyes, this might be the moment where one of you says "I love you?

"Who had the scallops? Careful that's hot"

8 course for 80 means there's only 2-3 dollars worth of food on the plate. It's a tasting menu, and if done properly, you won't be interrupted at all. And it's probably prie fixe, so you both get exactly the same thing.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

8 course for 80 means there's only 2-3 dollars worth of food on the plate. It's a tasting menu, and if done properly, you won't be interrupted at all. And it's probably prie fixe, so you both get exactly the same thing.

This. I've had eight+ courses with our serving staff, they're very good at smoothing out the tasting menu process

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Oh god, you just reminded me of the best/worst tasting menu I ever experienced at a now defunct restaurant in Houston, Feast.

Best, because it was flat out my favorite restaurant while it was open.
Worst because they had just opened a month or two prior, and just started doing a tasting menu a week or two prior.

I took my mom there for her birthday and the food was outstanding, but they had some logistical issues - mostly in that they served us full entree portions of items off the regular menu, rather than smaller plates. Then, realize that this is all really heavy, nose to tail rustic European cuisine. We're talking full portions of:

Cassoulet
Fish and Scallop Pie
Beef Sweetbreads
Calves' cheeks

The best part was, they warned us up front that they weren't really ready for a tasting menu and told us we needed to inform them when it was time for dessert. I think we hit 7 courses before we finally threw in the towel and waddled to the car, about 12 pounds heavier each. So good but jesus christ, one of the only times I've ever really eaten too much in my life.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So less tasing menu, more authentic medieval feast.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Manuel Calavera posted:

No idea since I won't be there. It's my weekend off.

Plus, well, it's a hospital so we're not a romantic destination so probably nothing special. We did have some nice stuff for Fat Tuesday at least, although the hot cross buns we got in were awful and dry.

e - on the topic of repeat exposure allergies. Does anyone else get dry hands in the winter with constant changing of gloves? That's the one thing I hate about the season, other than people who can't drive properly for the weather, or just go way to slow. But that's a constant.

Mine used to get so dry the backs of my hands would crack and bleed. Ask the nurses at work what they use for their hands and get that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Question for my fellow/former dishpit goons:

Saturday I was in pots & pans for 9 hrs, where we use this to clean what seems like 50 thousand shotgun pans an hour:

http://www.nclonline.com/products/view/green_emerald

During my mid-shift break, I noticed that my forearms had broken out in spots. Like, every pore was a raised bump. By the end of shift, my arms were red, bumpy, and itchy. When I showed them to my co-workers, everyone said "oh, yeah, it's the soap." I was skeptical because I've been doing this for close to 8 months now, and I never broke out when on p&p.

Yesterday, I'm back on p&p. Not only do my arms flare back up, but after a facial back splash of suds, my face starts turning red and itching. My nose was all Karl Malden.

WTF? I gather from the number of old salts there saying "yeah, it's the soap" that this poo poo will gently caress you up. At the same time, I'm laughing over the label saying it's "mild for hands". I look like I have leprosy, to the point that even the DFAC manager who doesn't even know my name asked me "are you okay? why is your face all red?"

Anyways: anyone use this stuff and is it really the reason I'm breaking out in mini hives?

Ummm, you may want to take a look at the spec sheet on that page. Particularly the warnings at the bottom. The other safety docs basically say you shouldn't be exposed to it for any length of time and ought to be wearing full arm gloves to prevent continuous exposure. Not that that's actually possible, of course...

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Actually going to Medieval Times for VD would work for me.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We're finally booked solid on sunday, so I can tell all the idiots who keep calling to gently caress off (politely). I'll never understand the people who call a 12 table restaurant on Thurs Feb 11 and expect us to have open seatings at 7pm on Saturday of VDW. I've had this conversation about 800 times this week so far. "Hi I'd like to make a reservation for Sat the 13th" "Its a bit tight that night, let me check the book....I have one open spot at 4pm, and then a 9:45 waiting list" "What about 7:00? There's only two of us"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

We're finally booked solid on sunday, so I can tell all the idiots who keep calling to gently caress off (politely). I'll never understand the people who call a 12 table restaurant on Thurs Feb 11 and expect us to have open seatings at 7pm on Saturday of VDW. I've had this conversation about 800 times this week so far. "Hi I'd like to make a reservation for Sat the 13th" "Its a bit tight that night, let me check the book....I have one open spot at 4pm, and then a 9:45 waiting list" "What about 7:00? There's only two of us"

If I were you, I'd be worried about people calling up Saturday to cancel earlier dinners when they find a place they can eat at that's not 4pm.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Frankly I think they're all insane for taking that slot in the first place. I assume its a bunch of guys who promised their gf they totally got a reservation with us and are now proper hosed if they can't come up with something awesome and romantic to do after dinner to justify the early meal time.

edit: I actually hope some of them do, its really tight around 6 and a few cancellations would make that much easier than someone being romantic and lingering over what is technically a late lunch.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 12, 2016

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I work as a cook at my "real" job but two or three days a week I wait tables at a really nice lunch spot. We got a new expo who despite a verbal warning from me is apparently also unable to read the giant bolded circled note ATTN: ALLERGENS on one of my tickets and caused an elderly lady at one of my tables to go into anaphlactic shock in the middle of her lunch yesterday. :allears:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

What's y'all's places of employment doing for V-Day and how much of a living hell is it going to be?

We've got crab stuffed lobster, steak oscar, and lobster ravioli in addition to our regular dinner menu, and a fuckload of reservations. It's been prepocalypse for the past two days and I'm sure tomorrow morning I'm going to have both day's worth of work crammed into one to try and get us ready for Saturday night. Mercifully, we are always closed on Sundays.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

the great deceiver posted:

I work as a cook at my "real" job but two or three days a week I wait tables at a really nice lunch spot. We got a new expo who despite a verbal warning from me is apparently also unable to read the giant bolded circled note ATTN: ALLERGENS on one of my tickets and caused an elderly lady at one of my tables to go into anaphlactic shock in the middle of her lunch yesterday. :allears:

Fire him. Out of a cannon. Preferably into the sun.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

There's a restaurant next to my work called Mélisse. Apparently it's a super fancy french place. Every time I see the cooks on their break, they all look like they want to die and every time I see them I think of this thread.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HogX posted:

There's a restaurant next to my work called Mélisse. Apparently it's a super fancy french place. Every time I see the cooks on their break, they all look like they want to die and every time I see them I think of this thread.

Their booze/coke is probably wearing off and you see them in the 3-5 minutes between the wear off and the re-up

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skwirl posted:

Having worked in restaurants on V.D. I recommend not going to a restaurant. When I'm not single on that day I usually just cook something slightly fancy. It looks impressive and it means there's an hour where your date has nothing to do but sit there and drink wine on an empty stomach.

We never go out on VDay. It's always a hassle and disappointing for the price. I just splurge and buy something stupid expensive and make it and drink dumb expensive wine and then watch movies with my wife.

Much better than restaurants.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We never go out on VDay. It's always a hassle and disappointing for the price. I just splurge and buy something stupid expensive and make it and drink dumb expensive wine and then watch movies with my wife.

Much better than restaurants.

Come to Austin and we can cook together. :unsmith:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

I hate to say it, being a lead expo for a busy place, but sometimes you miss poo poo. But loving god that's rough.

I want to redo my places entire keying in system because so much poo poo is redundant or leads to mistakes but I'm not a manager and don't really want the stress of everyone bitching about it.

Thanks for the people talking about my friend who passed. Uncle in December, close friend this month, and my grandfather just got rushed to the hospital with an infection possibly all the way to his bones. I'm not superstitious but it's always in threes.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Come to Austin and we can cook together. :unsmith:

If it wasn't in two days I would be very down with this.

Aren't you coming down here soon?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Pile of Kittens posted:

Fire him. Out of a cannon. Preferably into the sun.

She got sent home, no idea if she got fired though. I guess I'll see next week. To be fair she felt terrible and was in tears but still. Like I said I'm a cook most nights so when I deal with an allergen issue I take it real loving serious.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

She got sent home, no idea if she got fired though. I guess I'll see next week. To be fair she felt terrible and was in tears but still. Like I said I'm a cook most nights so when I deal with an allergen issue I take it real loving serious.

A good number of corporate places have a standing policy on allergies - if a guest claims an allergy, especially to one of the big ones that'll kill them (peanuts, shellfish, etc.), the ticket basically gets followed by management the whole way.

MOD confirms with the guest, then confirms with the kitchen
Separate prep area is cleaned and set up specifically for that guest
Their plates are tracked basically from inception to the table to prevent cross contamination

Etc.

Allergies are no joke, and it sounds like your expo made a mistake, albeit a serious one. OTOH, this also is indicative of how lovely customers have gotten, claiming allergies on things that they just don't want. I know I've brought it up before but Wrought's story of the salt allergy is still the funniest.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

A good number of corporate places have a standing policy on allergies - if a guest claims an allergy, especially to one of the big ones that'll kill them (peanuts, shellfish, etc.), the ticket basically gets followed by management the whole way.

MOD confirms with the guest, then confirms with the kitchen
Separate prep area is cleaned and set up specifically for that guest
Their plates are tracked basically from inception to the table to prevent cross contamination

Etc.

Allergies are no joke, and it sounds like your expo made a mistake, albeit a serious one. OTOH, this also is indicative of how lovely customers have gotten, claiming allergies on things that they just don't want. I know I've brought it up before but Wrought's story of the salt allergy is still the funniest.

Haha I've never heard the salt allergy story. It was a a fruit allergy and to be fair it was clearly stated on the menu that the dessert she ordered contained the fruit she was allergic to but she ordered it anyway. It wouldn't have been a problem to remove it but like you said the expo made a serious mistake. I guess I should have triple checked the dish before I brought it out but it was a fruit dessert that had a meringue on top and there was really no way for me to see without totally loving the dish up. The customer was ok; she had an epi-pen and we obviously comped her entire meal. Her and her party were actually not as angry as I would have thought so the situation was not as terrible as it could have been. I've never worked as an expo before and it looks like a stressful position where it could definitely be easy to make a mistake, especially during a rush. If she doesn't get fired I hope she at least learns a serious lesson.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I had a ten top that called in and the owner made soup for her aunt because of a "dairy allergy". Like I mean he went to his own house and made it and there were two bowls for them. App course comes out, and I tell the ladies that the calamari has no dairy at all and go to town, but to please stay away from all the other things because butter, the kitchen made a new batch of breadcrumb mix that contained no parm, etc. I catch the ladies eating the dessert platter I brought out for the table (we'd made them something special), and I said "oh no please don't eat that its about 90% heavy cream" and they were like "no its ok, I just try to avoid it"

its ok because she left me $300 in cash for a $700 tab.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
For some reason in the last few weeks I've had tons of fake allium allergies... had a customer tell their server that they would "be sick for days" if they had the slightest amount of garlic, and then chow down on french fries dipped in sambal aioli from her neighbors plate while I prepped poo poo on the fly for her stupid food.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
There should be a system wherein if you have a food allergy it has to be documented by your doctor who will issue you a card verifying that you actually have said allergy; any whining that isn't supported by your official allergy card is ignored.

I'm only half serious about this. Also inb4 Babbys pulls a Godwin on me.

Something I've noticed is that while the high-end casual BBQ place I worked at had frequent allergy and "allergy" guests, the much busier sports bar I now work at has very little of that. If I were to generalize, I'd say that people with money tend to whine about HOW their food is prepared while people with less money are more concerned with minmaxing their food:bill ratio.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

I'm choosing to read that as they're allergic to gluten free products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I know someone with a dairy allergy (to the point where if he gets splashed with cow's milk his skins erupts in hives), who also has a mild seafood allergy, can't eat uncooked vegetables, and a host of other things and you know what? He rarely if ever eats out. Turns out when you literally could die if someone serves you food prepared improperly you don't feel like rolling the dice.

Like literally, one of the only things he could eat while out would be a steak/any other protein cooked in olive oil or lard in a new, clean pan and some cooked as gently caress vegetables (again, no butter anywhere near the pan). He doesn't bother ordering stuff he's allergic to and then saying "oh but I can't have this this and this" because why bother, one missed ingredient and his throat swells up and he can't breathe.

• Locked thread