Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The average speed calculator on my car's info display is soul crushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Grater posted:

Do you know how the ecoboost Explorer stacks up? I'm on the fence between it an the Durango R/T.

The explorer is actually comfortable whereas the Durango is a pile of flaming dogshit. And that's still mildly insulting to dog poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

xzzy posted:

The average speed calculator on my car's info display is soul crushing.

Yea I can't bear to look at it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrYenko posted:

poo poo, thats above average for rush hour.

Not like traffic would stop that thing anyway.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
CMC photo dump bleggghhh

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is the blower on the Charger just a prop? It looks hokey.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Now that you mention it, I have no idea since I've never seen that car in motion. It just appears at whatever event the guy brings it to. All three FastFurious cars are screen-used stunt vehicles, allegedly. I wouldn't be surprised if the blower was non-functional, but maybe that's just a post-apocalyptic thing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

*insert cacklefest nitro switchover video here*

:five:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They didn't even start it to see if the belt was spinning?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

*insert cacklefest nitro switchover video here*

:five:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeX9mPoC8j0

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

It's boomerjinks dude. You know it's fake. And it's also really a dart underneath.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

You get me :allears:

That change to nitro puts a big dumb smile on my face every time I watch that video.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They didn't even start it to see if the belt was spinning?

Look at the belt, it looks like it was cut and riveted back together and there's also a hole in the housing right below the intake. Not to mention the linkage looks all hosed up.

[e] I'd love to see under the hood, it's probably glued on top of a straight six :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 11, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

leica posted:

Look at the belt, it looks like it was cut and riveted back together and there's also a hole in the housing right below the intake. Not to mention the linkage looks all hosed up.

[e] I'd love to see under the hood, it's probably glued on top of a straight six :v:

Some quick internet research has the club (Colorado Movie Cars) posting another picture of that car in an album saying that it's a screen-used car from Fast And The Furious. So yeah, almost definitely a fake blower.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's just occurred to me how wonderfully insane you have to be to sit behind an engine like that as it hauls you up a drag strip. When the greybeard pulls the throttle cable...... :aaaaa:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

leica posted:

Look at the belt, it looks like it was cut and riveted back together

Yeah looks to me like it's just wrapped around the pulley and doesn't exit to the crank or an idler at all. Someone needs to turn it so the joint is on the bottom.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

leica posted:

I noticed in the closeup, besides the rust on the fasteners, that the belt is spliced with what appear to be carriage bolts.

leica posted:

Yeah, that.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You get me :allears:

That change to nitro puts a big dumb smile on my face every time I watch that video.

I love that video. I had no idea how that poo poo worked until I saw it, having never been to a vintage drag.
It just gets so... violent. It's like giving Dr. Jeckyll meth. So. loving. evil. The whole damned chassis jumps just from revving it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
gently caress it, let's just post these all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIqAI6afJOs

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's cool Grandpa but this is how the kids do nitro methane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xFkvo0xHoA

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't think I've seen a SBC nitro drag car before. How many of them are not-HEMIs?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

I don't think I've seen a SBC nitro drag car before. How many of them are not-HEMIs?

Yeah, that was the first one I've seen. Makes the blower look even bigger.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So what are they feeding into the engine that they 'unplug' after it is warmed up, after which it turns into the devil engine?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Locator posted:

So what are they feeding into the engine that they 'unplug' after it is warmed up, after which it turns into the devil engine?

Nitromethane, same stuff modern Top Fuel cars run on. It's got a lot less energy per gallon than gasoline so it's harder to ignite, which is why they start and warmup using a small amount of gas or alcohol (dunno which they're using in that vid), then once it's warm they can run the nitro just fine.

E: Read the question wrong, gas or alcohol is what they're feeding in.

E: Here, another!

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 12, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And how long can they run it before it starts to over heat?

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

The Locator posted:

After the helper line is remover they're burning up to 90% nitromethane - I have no idea what they're burning in the helper line though. Is it just a high octane gasoline, maybe some sort of diluted nitro mixture?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

And how long can they run it before it starts to over heat?

Well, warmup for a few minutes, 1 more for staging, and 4 seconds for the pass.

So I'd say about 4:04. :v:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cellular Suicide posted:

After the helper line is remover they're burning up to 90% nitromethane - I have no idea what they're burning in the helper line though. Is it just a high octane gasoline, maybe some sort of diluted nitro mixture?

Cellular Suicide posted:

So the advantage to nitro is it explodes with less oxygen than pump gas so forced induction produces bigger explosions. Is that about right?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The advantage of nitromethane is that it carries its own oxygen with it, so you can cram tons more fuel in for a bigger bang.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fyodor posted:

So the advantage to nitro is it explodes with less oxygen than pump gas so forced induction produces bigger explosions. Is that about right?

Pretty much, it produces bigger explosions because needing less air means you can fill your cylinder up with more fuel. Top Fuel engines are basically running right on the edge of hydrolock at full throttle. Since nitro contains its own oxygen, you can even go beyond the already-ridiculous stoichiometric point and run uber-hyper-mega rich, with basically just enough air to have something to compress on the stroke and not blow the heads off (and that even happens!).

And I'm not exaggerating, here's one fuel injector for one cylinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enourmo posted:

Nitromethane, same stuff modern Top Fuel cars run on. It's got a lot less energy per gallon than gasoline so it's harder to ignite, which is why they start and warmup using a small amount of gas or alcohol (dunno which they're using in that vid), then once it's warm they can run the nitro just fine.

E: Read the question wrong, gas or alcohol is what they're feeding in.

Another fun property of high-percentage nitro mixes is that at a proper fuel/air ratio, you'll be putting so much fuel in the cylinder that if it fails to ignite, you can literally hydrolock on fuel, and pop the heads off the engine. In fact, at ignition, even at high RPM, only about 10% of the nitro in the chamber is actually vapor; The rest is liquid. Ignition of the small amount of nitromethane vapor provides the heat to vaporize and ignite the liquid.

Nitro is crazy poo poo. :black101:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Crazy poo poo indeed, but it would take crazy poo poo to hit almost 1000 hp/liter.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i flipped a coin for which thread and it came up milhouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHEtKzYBiyA

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Enourmo posted:

Pretty much, it produces bigger explosions because needing less air means you can fill your cylinder up with more fuel. Top Fuel engines are basically running right on the edge of hydrolock at full throttle. Since nitro contains its own oxygen, you can even go beyond the already-ridiculous stoichiometric point and run uber-hyper-mega rich, with basically just enough air to have something to compress on the stroke and not blow the heads off (and that even happens!).

And I'm not exaggerating, here's one fuel injector for one cylinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY

Words cannot express the feelings this video makes me feel.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Crazy poo poo indeed, but it would take crazy poo poo to hit almost 1000 hp/liter.

Top fuel cars are estimated to be making 10000-11000hp now, and are 8l or so? So well over 1000hp/l.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fyodor posted:

Words cannot express the feelings this video makes me feel.

"We don't measure things in miles per gallon, we do it in gallons per mile"

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Analog traction control strategy is way more important than raw horsepower these days, onnaccountof no computers allowed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

You Am I posted:

"We don't measure things in miles per gallon, we do it in gallons per mile"

Finally, all those foreigners will be happy now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MrYenko posted:

Another fun property of high-percentage nitro mixes is that at a proper fuel/air ratio, you'll be putting so much fuel in the cylinder that if it fails to ignite, you can literally hydrolock on fuel, and pop the heads off the engine. In fact, at ignition, even at high RPM, only about 10% of the nitro in the chamber is actually vapor; The rest is liquid. Ignition of the small amount of nitromethane vapor provides the heat to vaporize and ignite the liquid.

Nitro is crazy poo poo. :black101:

Would that count as some sort of extreme form of charge cooling? Since as it vaporizes it should cool down the charge to prevent the knocking hand of god.

If so then I think irs mandatory for the immense boost those superchargers must make. Also i thought they'd use crank driven instead of belt drive superchargers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FWIW a guy that used to work next door to my job fooled around with those things. The engine was a pattern made billet 'hemi', apparently identical between blown and non-blown cars. It used the spark plugs up after one run and he said the atmo one would run indefinitely at idle because of the fuel's cooling effect.

The belts only get used a couple of times before getting tossed iirc.