Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a time machine to 2007

lmao. audacity will let me tag poo poo I rip myself but not everyone keeps their library as nicely tagged as myself. db9 doesn't really enforce tagging as hard as what so a lot of old dnb is untagged which leaves me searching for a decent id3 editor.

kid3 looks like it'll suite my needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a time machine to 2007

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a time machine to 2007

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a time machine to 2007

Winamp. It really whips the llamas rear end

pram
Jun 10, 2001

b0red posted:

lmao. audacity will let me tag poo poo I rip myself but not everyone keeps their library as nicely tagged as myself. db9 doesn't really enforce tagging as hard as what so a lot of old dnb is untagged which leaves me searching for a decent id3 editor.

kid3 looks like it'll suite my needs

jfc

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Last Chance posted:

I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

See the GNU distros list for the distros that I do recommend.

The latest Intel PC processors are useless in the Free World, because they require a proprietary program to initialize the memory and a signed proprietary blob in the northbridge chip.
I don't know how much better the current AMD processors are, but they are surely not worse.

Regarding graphics accelerators for PCs, ATI mostly cooperates with the free software movement, while nVidia is totally hostile. ATI has released free drivers.
However, the ATI drivers use nonfree microcode blobs, whereas most of nVidia's products (excepting the most recent ones) work ok with Nouveau, which is entirely free and has no blobs.

Thus, paradoxically, if you want to be free you need to get a not-very-recent nVidia accelerator.

I wish ATI would free this microcode, or put it in ROM, so that we could endorse its products and stop preferring the products of a company that is no friend of ours.

Android is not, in practice, an entirely free operating system. It has problems , larger or smaller depending on which product. The problems of nonfree driver libraries, and the universal back door in cell phone radio communication software, are imposed by the hardware and are not directly the fault of Android, but that does not make them ok.
There are two different licenses that some refer to as "the BSD license". Both are free software licenses, but the difference has major practical consequences. To avoid confusion, please always say which one you mean — don't say "the BSD license" as if there were just one.
If you support the idea of free software, how about helping our work? Most of the movement's work is done by volunteers, and you can be one of them. See gnu.org/help for a list of suggested ways to help. It is not necessary to be a programmer, because there are other kinds of help we need too.

Copyright (c) 2013 Richard Stallman Verbatim copying and redistribution of this entire page are permitted provided this notice is preserved.

:lomarf:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

this is what free software people literally care about

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

can't buy dem choonz m8.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
for good reason id say

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

hey guys. I was hoping to get some help diagnosing a problem with my latest linux installation. Currently i cannot use my keyboard and mouse after the kernel modules have been loaded, meaning i can use the keyboard in grub but once i select the kernel no power is being delivered to my mouse or keyboard

~~~linux~~~

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

~~~linux~~~

~~usb~~

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

yeah, that could be the issue; using a ps/2 keyboard may fix it. I recently had a similar issue where I updated a system without a keyboard attached, which resulted in the keyboard no longer being found on boot. After some digging it turned out that behavior is intentional, and you have to have a keyboard connected when you update if you want it to be detected so you can login directly.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

yeah, that could be the issue; using a ps/2 keyboard may fix it. I recently had a similar issue where I updated a system without a keyboard attached, which resulted in the keyboard no longer being found on boot. After some digging it turned out that behavior is intentional, and you have to have a keyboard connected when you update if you want it to be detected so you can login directly.

lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Broken Machine posted:

yeah, that could be the issue; using a ps/2 keyboard may fix it..

Cool post from 1999

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
ps/2 has lower latency but either way, i had similar issue with windows 7(?)when i installed because it didn't have the usb drivers so nothing usb worked and managed to find some old ps/2 keyboard in the basement to get on it and install the driver lol

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

it's not a bug, it's a feature

~ Micro$h4fft open sores

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Wtf lovely rear end distro are you using that it can't use USB?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that happens to me sometimes too, the only fixes ive found are "try plugging it into a different port, because the ones on the back are more reliable than the ones on top" and "reboot" and "go take a walk and reboot on return"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I haven't had USB issues like that since the late 90s. What in the gently caress?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I haven't had USB issues like that since the late 90s. What in the gently caress?

this was the same machine where if you tried to display any one of several fonts it would segfault the x server

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Celexi posted:

ps/2 has lower latency

in what universe does the difference between the latencies matter?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Celexi posted:

ps/2 has lower latency

It really doesn't

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wheany posted:

in what universe does the difference between the latencies matter?

when you are the gamer equivalent of an audiophile who spergs out over the keyboard 'only' being polled at 125hz even though the fastest people on earth can only mash a button about 16 times per second

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The_Franz posted:

when you are the gamer equivalent of an audiophile who spergs out over the keyboard 'only' being polled at 125hz even though the fastest people on earth can only mash a button about 16 times per second

it isn't about the base rate but that cpu fluctuations or intensive cpu use add a poo poo ton of input lag. if you never did anything that made that happen is because you probably never did anything that stressed the CPU, unless it were to be a usb 3 keyboard or thunderbolt/firewire with direct bus access but that doesn't exist.

unless you like having input lag when working or editing i guess

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
:qq: my USB is taking .01 cpu :qq:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Celexi posted:

it isn't about the base rate but that cpu fluctuations or intensive cpu use add a poo poo ton of input lag. if you never did anything that made that happen is because you probably never did anything that stressed the CPU, unless it were to be a usb 3 keyboard or thunderbolt/firewire with direct bus access but that doesn't exist.

define a "poo poo ton" of lag

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Celexi posted:

your USB bus driver isn't the reason your computer lags like a piece of poo poo jfc

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Mr Dog posted:

your USB bus driver isn't the reason your computer lags like a piece of poo poo jfc

uhh where was i talking about USB drivers?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

uhh where was i talking about USB drivers?

Stating PS/2 is superior and usb3/FireWire is superior

They only other keyboard connection used today is USB and its not the problem here

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

theultimo posted:

Stating PS/2 is superior and usb3/FireWire is superior

They only other keyboard connection used today is USB and its not the problem here

For maximum input response I use 5 pin DIN. :smug:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
usb has no direct bus access except USB 3 or thunderbolt, so regular usb can not send interrupts same way ps/2 does

same plug different types of water flowing on the pipes!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm not super up to date on what XHCI does but I'm pretty sure a USB3 host controller chip will poll the so-called interrupt endpoints on your USB devices for you without the CPU needing to be involved. 1000 CPU wakeups/sec is bad for battery life so I can see that being offloaded into dedicated silicon. If your OS is taking noticeable fractions of a second just to service PCI interrupts then I think you've got bigger problems than how your keyboard is hooked up.

USB 1.1 has a base "frame" rate of 1000Hz, and devices declare a poll frequency in units of frames, which can be as low as 1 (i.e. poll the device every frame). poo poo I have a :pcgaming: keyboard that has a slider switch on the back that lets you select the poll rate, it goes up to 1000Hz.

e: PS/2 doesn't have DMA lol what the gently caress. It's an ancient slow as poo poo special-purpose serial bus with a legacy as gently caress interface from the CPU to the emulated PS/2 controller in the chipset.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr Dog posted:

it's your lack of pci-e lanes, actually

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

usb has no direct bus access except USB 3 or thunderbolt, so regular usb can not send interrupts same way ps/2 does

same plug different types of water flowing on the pipes!!

1ms is not going to matter though, I wouldn't want direct bus access to a keyboard anyhow, you are asking for crashes

E: yeah no DMA on PS/2 :laugh:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i guess i don't have anything better to do than argue about the dumbest keyboard poo poo imaginable but you may be shocked to learn that a PS/2 device can not, in fact, send an interrupt to your CPU. it is polled by a keyboard controller that can send an interrupt to your CPU (maybe?). Just like USB.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
USB input used to be a gigantic pile of poo poo for a fairly long time, especially on windows, where you'd get a full second of mouse lag (but still get the exactly correct input, just later) as par for the course when your (single core) cpu was clogged. PS/2 never displayed this kind of behaviour.

It's also been over 10 years since poo poo like that got solved though. If you have issues with USB maybe it's time to upgrade.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
mods can we please get a Keyboard Warriors gang tag

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
I wouldnt be surprised that some proprietary driver is using the keyboard and loving up the USB bus too

<3 Logitech for that poo poo, even on linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
(I actually went and looked it up. Fine, PS/2 devices initiate communication with the host, so they're not polled. It still doesn't matter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

theultimo posted:

I wouldnt be surprised that some proprietary driver is using the keyboard and loving up the USB bus too

<3 Logitech for that poo poo, even on linux

Hell, even my Microsoft keyboards work fine.

If it's not applying to the HID standard, it's a gigantic pile of poo poo.