Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

Brian Pillman was working a loose cannon angle where he was booked to be on the outs with WCW management. He talked his bosses into letting him work ECW after giving him a formal release so it would add to the realism.

He then continued the angle in ECW got even more heat and then showed the paperwork showing that he was no longer a WCW guy to WWF who promptly hired him.

It's also worth noting that this was after he shattered his ankle in a car accident and was practically unable to wrestle on a permanent basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's also worth noting that this was after he shattered his ankle in a car accident and was practically unable to wrestle on a permanent basis.

And that his plan was to just leverage the angle into being paid "Lex Luger money" by WCW and wanted to just use the WWF to raise his price. The WWF was the only one offering guaranteed money after the accident so he went with them.

Then felt so guilty about signing a contract he couldn't live up to in the ring that he wrestled well before he should have and hosed himself up worse.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

And that his plan was to just leverage the angle into being paid "Lex Luger money" by WCW and wanted to just use the WWF to raise his price. The WWF was the only one offering guaranteed money after the accident so he went with them.

Then felt so guilty about signing a contract he couldn't live up to in the ring that he wrestled well before he should have and hosed himself up worse.

Being friends with Austin probably helped him get that WWF gig, since by '96 Austin was getting bigger by the week.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

When you make a promotional investment in a guy in his late thirties who spent most of the last two decades of his life doing pro wrestling you should probably expect to have to spend three years replacing all his bones and organs before he can fight.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Then, to complete the :master: , he died suddenly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Brian Pillman once called up a friend who worked for some football team and asked him to run across the field during a game holding up a sign with Brian's name on it, because it would get Brian lots of press and guarantee him a better contract during his wrestling negotiations. The guy said,"Yeah but won't I get fired if I do that?" and Brian replied,"Yeah but we gotta make sacrifices to get what we want."

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
check that, #200

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CarlCX posted:

When you make a promotional investment in a guy in his late thirties who spent most of the last two decades of his life doing pro wrestling you should probably expect to have to spend three years replacing all his bones and organs before he can fight.
i'm just waiting for them to run punk through one of the new brain injury tests that actually works so we can find out that it would be insane to let this man fight

the only thing that could stop him from becoming ufc middleweight champion BEST IN THE WORLD

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

cams posted:

i'm just waiting for them to run punk through one of the new brain injury tests that actually works so we can find out that it would be insane to let this man fight

the only thing that could stop him from becoming ufc middleweight champion BEST IN THE WORLD

Those tests would take out half the UFC roster

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Food Court Druid posted:

Those tests would take out half the UFC roster

So only 250 people would still be able to compete? wow

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

CarlCX posted:

2014 was basically the worst year, if not the worst year in the history of the company since zuffa took over and hey look at that a totally new and interesting pro wrestler is to compete in the ultimate fighting championship!! Then business picked up and punk was injured for 2+ years but things were dire when all of this got inked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Being friends with Austin probably helped him get that WWF gig, since by '96 Austin was getting bigger by the week.

It was JR that actually helped. Pillman went up to Vince at a convention and Vince didn't want to deal with him since he thought he was a psychopath until JR convinced him it was all a work.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

So only 250 people would still be able to compete? wow

obtuse retard

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

he's being acute imo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9dUFzN-bA

Better than anything Punk has ever done imo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Skip My Posts posted:

obtuse retard

Oh wow you're right I was off. It would be 304

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Class

quote:

Results 1-20 of 608

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

Oh wow you're right I was off. It would be 304

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Class

you're stupid lmao

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
The UFC should have hired Bautista, at least he shows up for his fights

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

vainman posted:

The UFC should have hired Bautista, at least he shows up for his fights

After Guardians of the Galaxy I'm sure he has no incentive to go back to pro wrestling or MMA (did he even do any real training?)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

After Guardians of the Galaxy I'm sure he has no incentive to go back to pro wrestling or MMA (did he even do any real training?)

He basically subsidized a gym and did a real camp with Bonnar for his fight.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

1st AD posted:

Be was a purple belt in bjj and did muay Thai for many years. He looked great in his debut, for a 40 something year old debuting

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9dUFzN-bA

Better than anything Punk has ever done imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzq7JvLH8W4

GOAT

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

If I remember my stories right, Big Show's first friend in the WCW locker room was Brian Pillman. They bonded over their shared love of pranking people by taking shits on the floor.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

david carmichael posted:

Be was a purple belt in bjj and did muay Thai for many years. He looked great in his debut, for a 40 something year old debuting

David Bautista vs Phillip Brooks please

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt3jlekNbaI

Put it like this, uh, CM Punk, Phil Brooks ny migga. Fly to Sacramento with a quickness and Dan Quinn will give you instant 9-second KO Hands of Steel. You'll be legally murdering Conor McGregor in no time while retiring in style from the Cold Fission Miracle. Speak on it, Scott Smith.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did he die - why does this have 100 new posts

edit: I just went back a few pages HAHAHAHAHAHA

Get well soon

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
He won!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CM Punk is so cool that Dan Quinn shows him respect and just wants to help.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
dan quinn just offered to give CM Punk hands? oh my fuckin god homeboy the game done changed!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

That's a 300,000 buy fight on its own. UFC 100 had Brock/Mir, GSP/Alves and The Greatest Punch in History. If Conor is good to go that's a fine #2. If he's not, they have nothing huge for that show.

wait what I failed at googling please expoudn

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bisping vs hendo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9l58GUZNc

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Herr Tog posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've always liked Bisping, but nearly 7 full years later that's still one of my favorite UFC moments

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

it starts with the ugliest kick thing ever then just gets more wonderful over time.

thank you so much

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The kick does its job. It's not meant to hurt Bisping or anything of the sort, just set up the BRH.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Let's check in on our friend

http://wrestlechat.net/report-cm-punk-lost-15-of-16-test-fights-according-to-current-ufc-fighter/

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I think Dan Quinn might legitimately have a chance of beating Punk now.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I don't doubt it for a second, but how would Bisping know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

RZApublican posted:

I think Dan Quinn might legitimately have a chance of beating Punk now.

Is he finally out of jail?

• Locked thread