Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

cmykjester posted:

Where are you guys getting that concept art? I'm a big fan of concept art. It's interesting what ideas didn't make it.

E: never mind. Google. Duh.
There's also a really good Eurogamer gallery with some concept art and early renders that haven't been shown elsewhere:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-19-unseen-concept-art-and-renders-from-the-witcher-3

For example a smiling Geralt:

Yeah, they scratched that early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Palpek posted:

There's also a really good Eurogamer gallery with some concept art and early renders that haven't been shown elsewhere:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-19-unseen-concept-art-and-renders-from-the-witcher-3

For example a smiling Geralt:

Yeah, they scratched that early on.

But please, call me York. Everyone calls me that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how weather is organic in it. It will slowly get worse and worse until you have a full on storm.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

StoneOfShame posted:

I like 2 because its slightly similar to the wolf school armour.

I like 2 because it's like "hey, i'm being hunted, let me hide my super identifying facial scar"

Though then again, the wild hunt don't seem to be using middle men or investigation. Which actually seems to be their downfall in finding her first compared to Geralt's long and thorough detective work.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Is there a checklist online anywhere that lists around when I should be doing a particular secondary/side quest/contract as I'm going through the main quests?

I just got to Velen and basically want to do any side quest I can when they become available, but I'm noticing that it's totally a crapshoot whether or not I'm under-leveled for whatever side quest I pick up.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

Is there a checklist online anywhere that lists around when I should be doing a particular secondary/side quest/contract as I'm going through the main quests?

I just got to Velen and basically want to do any side quest I can when they become available, but I'm noticing that it's totally a crapshoot whether or not I'm under-leveled for whatever side quest I pick up.

The Quests... have the recommended level right there? :confused:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Baron posted:

The Quests... have the recommended level right there? :confused:

I know, but it's kind of annoying to pick up a quest and then go, "Actually, I'll have to wait 5 levels before continuing this." I was wondering if someone had already made a list of "Just do all of the quests in this order."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's weird, the plot to kill the king just kind of ended after I found the cobbler. There was no next part. I figure i have to progress the story to get more of it, so I headed to Irish Viking land. The Jarls daughter is supposed to be Miranda or whatever her name was in Brave right?

Oh I also like how I found Advanced Ursine armor plans just randomly in a cave. Though I need 11 more levels before I can use it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

twistedmentat posted:

It's weird, the plot to kill the king just kind of ended after I found the cobbler. There was no next part. I figure i have to progress the story to get more of it, so I headed to Irish Viking land. The Jarls daughter is supposed to be Miranda or whatever her name was in Brave right?

Oh I also like how I found Advanced Ursine armor plans just randomly in a cave. Though I need 11 more levels before I can use it.

Just make sure you don't shove anyone while waiting for the quest to continue.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I played through the game including that plot and don't know what this means. :confused: I must not have shoved anyone.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

BrainMeats posted:

I played through the game including that plot and don't know what this means. :confused: I must not have shoved anyone.
There's one point where you can choose to shove Dijkstra when you're hunting down Philippa which breaks his already crippled leg. If you do that you don't get to kill Radovid.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There is really a lot of cool things that you can easily miss. If you piss Yennefer off enough she will end the argument by teleporting you into a lake

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

twistedmentat posted:

I love how weather is organic in it. It will slowly get worse and worse until you have a full on storm.

For months at a time.

quote:

There is really a lot of cool things that you can easily miss. If you piss Yennefer off enough she will end the argument by teleporting you into a lake

That's pretty great.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

qbert posted:

qbert posted:

I know, but it's kind of annoying to pick up a quest and then go, "Actually, I'll have to wait 5 levels before continuing this." I was wondering if someone had already made a list of "Just do all of the quests in this order."

I'm not aware of a checklist or guide. Quest difficulty is all over the place and Velen isn't clearly subdivided into level ranges so you'd be hopping everywhere doing quests "in order" from lowest to highest level.

Imo stop caring about loot and XP and just enjoy the actual gameplay and writing in the side quests. There is way way more XP available in the game than you need to hit max/endgame level, you're going to outlevel a lot of your quests no matter what.

If you were aiming to try and maximize your quest XP that's really unnecessary and you're still going to end up leveling faster than you can complete all the equal-level quests.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm halfway through L27 and pretty much run out of things to do sidequest wise, and so many of them only seem to give 1 or 2 xp it's pretty hard to level up with any degree of swiftness. Which is fine I guess, I'm just wanting to hit 29 so I can upgrade my gear and it's taking forever.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not aware of a checklist or guide. Quest difficulty is all over the place and Velen isn't clearly subdivided into level ranges so you'd be hopping everywhere doing quests "in order" from lowest to highest level.

Imo stop caring about loot and XP and just enjoy the actual gameplay and writing in the side quests. There is way way more XP available in the game than you need to hit max/endgame level, you're going to outlevel a lot of your quests no matter what.

If you were aiming to try and maximize your quest XP that's really unnecessary and you're still going to end up leveling faster than you can complete all the equal-level quests.

Yeah I'm really enjoying everything so far, it's just the OCD part of me that wants to make sure I experience all of the content.

Also can someone tell me basic tips for winning Gwent? Is "use all my spies in Round 1, deliberately bomb it, and roll over Rounds 2 and 3" a good idea?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you're not at least within one or two levels to the side quest you're probably going to get hosed unless it's that poison wyvern thing in which case just walk away and come back later in a dozen hours.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

qbert posted:

Yeah I'm really enjoying everything so far, it's just the OCD part of me that wants to make sure I experience all of the content.

Also can someone tell me basic tips for winning Gwent? Is "use all my spies in Round 1, deliberately bomb it, and roll over Rounds 2 and 3" a good idea?

That's not bad, though sometimes you'll be able to use all your spies AND win Round 1, especially later when you have Geralt/Ciri cards, because the opponent will pass when it's at, say, 9 - 0 or 10 - 0. You can drop one of the 2-8 cards you've gotten from spies and shorten the game considerably.

In general, don't bother with weather cards as soon as you have enough decent troops. Plan on the bad guy having 1x or 2x Scorch and always play "under" his highest guys or bait the opponent into using it, and then medic the cards you lost back. Remember that Scorch looks at face value, so playing that final blue stripe guy may mean you lose all of them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shannow posted:

I'm halfway through L27 and pretty much run out of things to do sidequest wise, and so many of them only seem to give 1 or 2 xp it's pretty hard to level up with any degree of swiftness. Which is fine I guess, I'm just wanting to hit 29 so I can upgrade my gear and it's taking forever.

I'm guessing you've been holding off on progressing the main quest, there's tons of XP there.

qbert posted:

Yeah that's pretty much the strongest all-around tactic.

Round 1: Play all your spies, maybe win it but nbd if you lose.
Rounds 2-3: Use your card advantage to win, try to play cards from lowest to highest value to avoid Scorch. Healers are great.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

qbert posted:

Here are some general gwent tips:
1. Spies and decoys are hands down the most powerful cards in the game. Healers are in a close second tied with the good hero cards. Have as many spies, decoys, and healers as you can possible have in your deck. Use your spies, use decoys to take and then use your enemies spies and then use healers to use them all over again. IMO in third place there's a tie between war horns, Dandelion and villentretenmerth and scorch cards. Villentretenmerth is amazing because he's an automatic scorch for the front row (after a certain threshold) that can be decoyed, war horned or brought back from the dead by a healer to be reused. Honestly one of the best moves in the game is to wait until a monster player uses tons of melee cards, dump a frost on them to make them all worth the same and then use villentretenmerth to kill the entire row. It's beautiful when that works out.
2. Make sure your deck is at *exactly* the minimum amount of cards needed for a complete deck. This just makes it more likely to draw a card you're really looking for.
3. Weather effects are overrated especially with the Foltest card that clears weather effects. Let your opponent dump all of his weather cards on you, keep playing as if they're not there and then wait to remove them until after he passes or runs out of cards. Really the only weather card you should have in your deck is some clear weathers and maybe a frost or two tops (to gently caress over monster decks who are very melee heavy).
4. Try to bait out your opponent's scorch cards by tossing out some sacrificial lambs. Some high value artillery is great for this.
5. Hero cards are mostly overrated. Since weather is so easily avoided their greatest buff (not being affected by other modifiers) is actual a hindrance since it also means they can't be buffed via war horn and also can't be revived by a healer. Have a few of them in your hand in place of really lovely 1 or 2 value cards, but otherwise the only hero cards you should absolutely have are the 15 value cards (Geralt and Ciri) or the ones with special abilities like Avalloch or Yen.
6. Card with the strength in numbers (or whatever it's actually called) buff are actually far better than heroes. A couple of 4 value cards with that ability can become worth 16 each with a warhorn on top. Even then, I'd rather have a 6 or 7 that can be buffed by a war horn or Dandelion than a 10 hero card that can't do anything but be a 10.
11. As for "deliberately bombing it" just play it by ear. Typically I find that opponents will pass on round 1 early enough that I can win it and then I'll try to make them use as much of their hand as possible in round 2 before decoying everything and then passing into round 3. But yeah, generally the idea is to goad your opponent into over committing on a round so he won't have enough cards to compete the rest of the match.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Didn't even get that. It doesn't even have a quest marker on thr map. Obviously I can go back to Novigraad when ever I want so its not a big deal.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

My only criticism so far of the game is that the skill model is counter-intuitive (you should not spend points in abilities that you do not plan on using to get to others you want to) and the limited "slots" for them.

IMO, instead of restricting skill rows per point investment, they should have gone with character level (probably there is a mod for that already?).

Granted, this is mostly due to me trying to figure out a way to have a versatile Geralt :v: Also, I like the mutagen bonuses thing which reward you for specializing, even if it is only a bit.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't even get that. It doesn't even have a quest marker on thr map. Obviously I can go back to Novigraad when ever I want so its not a big deal.

After you meet up with the cobbler, the quest doesn't advance until much later after you've progressed the main plot.

Transmetropolitan posted:

My only criticism so far of the game is that the skill model is counter-intuitive (you should not spend points in abilities that you do not plan on using to get to others you want to) and the limited "slots" for them.

IMO, instead of restricting skill rows per point investment, they should have gone with character level (probably there is a mod for that already?).

Granted, this is mostly due to me trying to figure out a way to have a versatile Geralt :v: Also, I like the mutagen bonuses thing which reward you for specializing, even if it is only a bit.

Yeah it's not really great, and I'm not a fan of the XP/level progression either. IMO it would have been better to not even have levels, Geralt is supposed to be this veteran Witcher badass. Just have him gain an ability point on completion of significant quests or something.

For a versatile Geralt, it's a little tricky until you get to mid-endgame or on an NG+ playthrough. I would get your favorite alternate Signs (don't go deeper than the second tier in Signs it's low return on investment), the Alch ability that increases Toxicity level based on recipes known (use multiple decoctions and all the potions you want), Oil abilities are great. Pick either the Light or Heavy lines in the swords tree. That was my build combo'd with Griffin/Wolven gear and the Griffin School Training generic ability for massive stamina regen.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I like the level system and how it's not a huge deal like in MMOs, I do agree even though Witcher 2 on normal was easy, it was weird that the tutorial never let me sample or really understand most of the abilities I have to on the fly determine if I want or not for the next 50 hours, a die hard fan would probably love this as a reason to play again but go sign focus rather than swords, but as much as I loved 2 and love 3 so far, I think I need a few month or a year break before I want to repeat this huge of a game.

Ultimately the skill system means gently caress all when you've got one of the best looking, smoothest playing and definitely most well written games ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Picking out some mods to go with my playthrough. gently caress carry weight and weapon degradation, if I wanted that I'd boot up New Vegas.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pellisworth posted:

After you meet up with the cobbler, the quest doesn't advance until much later after you've progressed the main plot.

Okay, that's what I figured.

And yea, I hate weapon decay. It's an annoying mechanic that most games have abandoned. It feels like a holdover from older games.

I also realized I was playing the game on medium settings which with a Geforce 970 I should be playing on Ultra.

Is it me or is Skelling have a lot less stuff than Velan?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 12, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Considering one of his swords is silver, i think weapon decay is totally reasonable. Especially since you're fighting some enemies that may as well have mail or plate in terms of armor and all you're doing is slashing. Thankfully the hammers are cheap as hell and repair a ton of percentage.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

twistedmentat posted:

And yea, I hate weapon decay. It's an annoying mechanic that most games have abandoned. It feels like a holdover from older games.

I also realized I was playing the game on medium settings which with a Geforce 970 I should be playing on Ultra.

There;s a mod to remove it, I'd definitely recommend it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/342/

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

Skellige is diluted because most of the water ?s are a waste of time. The land ?s are still solid and there are some real gems.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Skellige is diluted because most of the water ?s are a waste of time. The land ?s are still solid and there are some real gems.

I wonder if whoever was placing all those water ?s in Skellige was like "why am I doing this? who the gently caress will do these?"

Or was he staying at work on voluntary overtime, enthusiasm burning in his eyes, going "yeah, people will LOVE this poo poo, can't let them down!"

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Megazver posted:

I wonder if whoever was placing all those water ?s in Skellige was like "why am I doing this? who the gently caress will do these?"

Or was he staying at work on voluntary overtime, enthusiasm burning in his eyes, going "yeah, people will LOVE this poo poo, can't let them down!"

One of these things is true.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Nasgate posted:

I like 2 because it's like "hey, i'm being hunted, let me hide my super identifying facial scar"

Though then again, the wild hunt don't seem to be using middle men or investigation. Which actually seems to be their downfall in finding her first compared to Geralt's long and thorough detective work.

Actually they do at least once, it's why the Crones are taking everyone's ears as payment.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

qbert posted:

The gwent AI is competent overall and does well by mixing up strategies which are generally sensible, so there isn't really a single method. I throw early on the first round maybe half the time, it's completely situational. Frequently the AI will recognize you spamming spies and pass on the 2nd or 3rd turn, a good way to prevent this is throwing down a non-hero unit on your 2nd turn. You shouldn't always try to prevent them passing though, if the AI starts with 2 weak cards or decoys your first spy then they are likely to pass early where you can easily win the round with something like 2 blue stripe commandos.

Always open with your worst spies. If you decide to throw the first round and the AI passes, you need to pass too. Don't throw down thaler or the mysterious elf after they passed. Yes, you could draw 2 more cards now, but you could also use the spy next round to stall 1 turn while drawing 2 cards. Stalling is really important and it's why decoy is so great. Decoy does more than just let you re-use medics or flip spies, it stalls 1 turn while doing those really useful things.

Northern realm and Nilfgaard are the best decks by far. As far as deck building goes, get all the spies, get the 7 strength dragon card with the dumb name. For northern realms I roll clear weather foltest with 2 decoys, 1 scorch, 1 horn, 0 weather -- trim down the rest to just spies, tight bond units, dun banner medic of course, DRAGON, and your best heroes or non-hero cards until you get enough heros.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
My fairly unbeatable deck at the endgame was 5x blue stripes commandos, all the spy cards, clear sky foltest, 1 frost, 2 decoys, medic, Yen, 2x catapaults, 2x crinfeld reavers, dandelion, villetheroitoitoigtn, geralt and ciri. 5 commandos are ridiculously overpowered against anything but the hardest decks, especially with dandelion/war horn, even if a frost is played they can still carry a match.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
The Nilfgaard general that lets you steal a card from your opponent's graveyard is amazing and probably the best general card. The stolen card goes back to your hand so it stalls a turn and lets you steal a spy you used earlier or something good you scorched. Playing two of that dragon fucker because you killed theirs and stole it is amazing and makes the old MTG player in me happier than Geralt on a Unicorn.

Also special character cards are great if you have 3 scorch cards in your deck because you can play them early and blast a ton of lovely 6 point elves or 5 power monsters without affecting your board.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Stop.

The loving.

Presses.

Blood and Wine will have a new ley-ley-ley song.

https://twitter.com/kwazol/status/698168841692696576

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Supreme Allah posted:

After riding around, its also probably becuase most of the place is mountains so there's not much there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just finished up the prologue. God, that is what I love about this series; things ending badly no matter what you do. I got reminded of The Lesser Evil during that last section with the tavern slaughter. No matter how hard you try, there's just no pleasing some people. That it was the Temerians giving you poo poo was just the icing on the cake. They're fighting for their country, and to them a person who is neutral is just as bad as an enemy. You have to sympathize with them, but at the same time, you're a Witcher, and during war its everyone for themselves.

And then to follow that up with the excellently done exposition chooser sequence in Vizima, gah, I need to get back to playing.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Supreme Allah posted:

Water stuff is nice if you wanna grind money quick. I'm completely broke in my last game now because of that lame runesmith. And I built all 4 sets of master crafted armor...

Maybe I should of just used the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I was tempted to do the same when I started the game. "How about Geralt doesn't lose all his wealth between games this time around."