Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Roy Wood is a treasure.

I really hated the ending of that segment, but otherwise it was pretty good. (e: for reference, I usually like Roy's other bits. Particularly the Red Lobster one he's currently doing as I write)

I really like Jordan's segment here though. I think I prefer having my mental image of Trump supporters as the absolute scum of the Earth reinforced.;)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't believe they really did that.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Botnit posted:

I would rather read an entire page of nothing but Zoux posts than ever see another Jason Jones bit.

Did they like...strangle your parents to death or something?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

Did they like...strangle your parents to death or something?

I mean, to be fair, you're the one who thinks Ronnie Chieng's "abandoned son" schtick isn't funny, when it objectively is.:smug:

(I agree with you re - Jones though)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing that is a bit disappointing is how the guests used to be frequent heads of state and former and current presidents and a king, to someone with a youtube channel.

It's to be expected though, maybe one day he'll earn the gravitas for those sorts of interviews and they will be worth watching.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
The Ben Stiller interview was worth watching just for Trevor's Ben Carson impression with an Italian accent.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing that is a bit disappointing is how the guests used to be frequent heads of state and former and current presidents and a king, to someone with a youtube channel.

That's like the 10th most disappointing thing to me about TDS now. First would be how every show revolves around the same two segments, one GOP one and the other whatever daily racism outrage they can find. A loving local Denny's story? Seriously?

Second is tired of Jessica Williams angrily yelling poo poo at the camera. She's hardly ever funny and she doesn't inform you of a god drat thing so I can't find any reason for her still being on the show. Beyonce segment was revolting.

Roy Wood still owns. New Hampshire trip with old people was great and very old TDS-esque, back when they actually cared about doing something other than demonizing the other side and realized some people just value other poo poo more importantly than they do your own personal poo poo. It wasn't terribly funny but I had the same reaction Roy did, I was all "oh we're gonna make fun of these people so much" then "...wait. are these feelings I'm having?"

No Desi this week :sigh:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Desi has been MIA for a bit. Probably baby time.

That joke in the Zoolander clip was waaaaaaaay too much set up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Roy Wood is the best part of the daily show right now, right when I was groaning at another Trevor Africa joke, Trevor introduced Roy and he said "Thank you Africa" and I had a good laugh.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If you don't like Jessica Williams you're a scrub

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Ten Years Ago:

Take a guess
part 2

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Another week of The Daily Show, and its saving grace, Roy Wood Jr., comes through again. I wish I didn't watch Full Frontal first because it amplified all of the boring bits in TDS this week (every part that Roy Wood Jr. wasn't a part of). If anyone still hasn't watched Sam Bee's new show, I implore you to. I laughed more in that one show than in the last couple weeks of TDS.

Thank God John Oliver comes back this weekend.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

Another week of The Daily Show, and its saving grace, Roy Wood Jr., comes through again. I wish I didn't watch Full Frontal first because it amplified all of the boring bits in TDS this week (every part that Roy Wood Jr. wasn't a part of). If anyone still hasn't watched Sam Bee's new show, I implore you to. I laughed more in that one show than in the last couple weeks of TDS.

Thank God John Oliver comes back this weekend.

Gotta catch up, but I'll agree Full Frontal is very worth your time!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Is there any way to watch Full Frontal legally if you don't have cable?

Edit: I mean other than clip by clip on Youtube.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
^ Not that I can tell.

Holy gently caress I'm only 5 minutes into Full Frontal and so far it's better than 90% of what Trevor and Wilmore have put out. What a pro Samantha is. This is what I've been missing from the Daily Show.

Comedy Central really hosed up letting her go.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 13, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Daily/Nightly off for a week? Ok.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Daily/Nightly off for a week? Ok.

And just like clockwork, Antonin Scalia dies.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Maxwell Lord posted:

And just like clockwork, Antonin Scalia dies.

At least some things don't change

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is it me or did Trevor just do a joke the other day about how one of the Supreme Court justices was going to die any day now?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I personally was interested in seeing both shows' take on both debates we had this weekend.

The Henry Kissinger debate was interesting to say the least.

And I just want to see more shows play the clip of Trump going after Jeb's family while Jeb himself couldn't stop him despite the support of the GOP-friendly audience.

They'll both be old news after a week.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
This is an interesting opinion article and I agree with a lot of it

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cover_story/2016/01/why_america_isn_t_paying_attention_to_the_daily_show_with_trevor_noah_in.html

By the way, add me to the people praising Sam Bee's new show

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Honestly as much as I do like Noah, his toothlessness has really become a primary reason why TDS has steadily become something I only really watch when I feel like actively stopping myself from doing whatever else I might be doing instead of something I plan time around watching. For as much of a boon as his perspective can be - the African dictator thing remains very good - I feel the show primarily suffers from his lack of any real connection to the US, its history, and its culture. The bit about moving away from skewering the media actually always bothered me a bit, because it showed that he really didn't understand that the media here is loving powerful and needs to be skewered when it is being gross and irresponsible. And while his background can be a boon, it also leads to a lot of bullshit relativism - "Sure, this is bad, BUT BACK IN SOUTH AFRICA" that is the exact kind of neutralizing mentioned in the article.

It's awkward, honestly. I do realize that Noah is taking over for a veteran in Stewart. I'm interested in how the show might look in a few years once he's more "plugged in" to the US. But I just kind of don't feel like waiting for that point, and truth be told I've been kind of left wishing that Jessica Williams had felt up to taking on the role.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah, Stewart was a really tough act to follow, but we basically have three other successors in Oliver, Bee, and arguably Colbert putting out a better product than Noah right now. Comedy Central kinda got backed into a corner with those three and Stewart all jumping ship right around the same time, leaving them not only with a void at the host's desk, but also in terms of correspondents. Stewart had a really strong and consistent supporting cast during most of the last ten years or so, and I don't think Noah has that yet. Maybe in time Noah will improve, they'll replace Klepper with someone funny, and the show will be back on top, but it's also possible that doesn't happen and TDS gets left in the dust by the alumni shows.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

rujasu posted:

Yeah, Stewart was a really tough act to follow, but we basically have three other successors in Oliver, Bee, and arguably Colbert putting out a better product than Noah right now. Comedy Central kinda got backed into a corner with those three and Stewart all jumping ship right around the same time, leaving them not only with a void at the host's desk, but also in terms of correspondents. Stewart had a really strong and consistent supporting cast during most of the last ten years or so, and I don't think Noah has that yet. Maybe in time Noah will improve, they'll replace Klepper with someone funny, and the show will be back on top, but it's also possible that doesn't happen and TDS gets left in the dust by the alumni shows.

No reason for me to continually restate my opinion on Noah, but if you don't think Klepper is funny, you have objectively bad taste :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCI4bUk4vuM

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I would like to dig up all the posts from the last 5 years of Stewart's run complaining that all he did was make fun of Fox.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zakharov posted:

I would like to dig up all the posts from the last 5 years of Stewart's run complaining that all he did was make fun of Fox.

Jon's getting so stale, goddamn another episode mocking CNN? He just has no teeth on the interviews anymore this is so sad to see. What a bad show now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lol so hard at all the people complaining that Trevor is "toothless" as though they suddenly got amnesia about literally every interview Jon did since the Sanity Rally.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

For real though, if you want "toothless" look no further than the bits Colbert and Sambee did where they eulogized Scalia and reduced his awful poo poo to "some ideas you may not agree with" and ran with that "I attack ideas, not people" line as though that's anything loving worth admiring.

I haven't seen LWT this week but I hope Oliver at least gave him the gently caress-youlogy he so richly deserves.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oliver said nothing about Scalia.

Colbert was fine, just told a personal story.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

For real though, if you want "toothless" look no further than the bits Colbert and Sambee did where they eulogized Scalia and reduced his awful poo poo to "some ideas you may not agree with" and ran with that "I attack ideas, not people" line as though that's anything loving worth admiring.

I haven't seen LWT this week but I hope Oliver at least gave him the gently caress-youlogy he so richly deserves.

Oliver was extremely neutral about Scalia but he also only had 1 or 2 days to prepare anything so maybe that's why. He said basically the same thing.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

poty posted:

This is an interesting opinion article and I agree with a lot of it

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cover_story/2016/01/why_america_isn_t_paying_attention_to_the_daily_show_with_trevor_noah_in.html

By the way, add me to the people praising Sam Bee's new show

I'm really curious which writer at Slate got passed over for a position at TDS because their relentless concern trolling about Noah's TDS is already getting on my nerves.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

raditts posted:

lol so hard at all the people complaining that Trevor is "toothless" as though they suddenly got amnesia about literally every interview Jon did since the Sanity Rally.
Oh, Jon's interviews were definitely toothless but the rest of the show wasn't. I mean he unquestionably HATED Palin.

Trevor doesn't seem to have an opinion on anyone. Or anything.

raditts posted:

John didn't do a gently caress youlogy for Thatcher. It was established that it's pretty much for people who are vilified by just about everyone, not just the left.

Edit: also not sure why you needed two posts for this?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Oliver said nothing about Scalia.

Colbert was fine, just told a personal story.

Yes but it was kind of like saying that tea party you had with Josef Mengele was very pleasant because he was quite the joker.

Scalia was a loving inhuman monster no matter how good a sense of humor he had and whitewashing that lost Colbert a lot of respect from me. Not that he cares, but gross.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still find it weird that many people have a "Pre-Sanity/Post-Sanity" view of Stewart as if those were two different guys.

Not to argue about old things, but I think Stewart's message was based around his misdiagnosis of the political environment when the Tea Party was still in its infancy. He thought the anger was manufactured and exacerbated by the media's obsession with conflict and tribalism, and politics being a spectator sport between Team Red and Blue. I felt like that misreading was nonetheless consistent with the Jon who called out Tucker Carlson and Jim Cramer.

I think many people on the left were projecting their "truth in the middle/false equivalence/South Park" anxiety on that.

Granted, knowing what I know now, it's a message based on a naive view of state of the national political discourse. People were and still are angry for good reason. And people usually can't effect needed change by simply engaging each other and working out a solution considering how much bad faith posturing is part of the discourse.

There's not much to defend about whitewashing Scalia, but there's no way Colbert would have danced on his grave even during the Report days. Heck, Colbert literally danced with Kissinger. Actually... that wasn't cool.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 17, 2016

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

If you expect the host of a late night talk talk show to cut a promo on a deceased Supreme Court Justice you are delusional. This isn't Democracy Now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah pretty much. Colbert is on CBS now and he's much more like Mr Rogers than the old Colbert. Which is probably his true personality.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zakharov posted:

If you expect the host of a late night talk talk show to cut a promo on a deceased Supreme Court Justice you are delusional. This isn't Democracy Now.

I don't know what "cut a promo" means in this context but I would have rather he said nothing than trying to convince people he should be missed.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

raditts posted:

I don't know what "cut a promo" means in this context but I would have rather he said nothing than trying to convince people he should be missed.

Stand there and talk poo poo and wait for applause lines, basically.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure we're just a season away from people turning on Samantha Bee as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah pretty much. Colbert is on CBS now and he's much more like Mr Rogers than the old Colbert. Which is probably his true personality.

If anyone thinks Colbert would have said one drat thing different on Comedy Central with the old show, they're delusional. He would have dropped the character, said his anecdote, and moved on to make fun of the circus around replacing him.

Anyone expecting any of these people to go on national TV 2 days after the death of high profile public figure and poo poo on them (no matter how deserving) is flat out mental.

• Locked thread