Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Slim's Adventures in Drunk Driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (February 15, 1969)

Mopey Pete's No-Punchline-Required Silver Age Daydream

I prefer the original, even with all the decay.

The Crankshaft "Cheaters Never Prosper" Carnivale

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 1-2, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 31, 1929)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I've not followed rip haywire that closely but who is this kid that looks like rip junior? Are they related? This has nothing todo with the catpocalypse and the never born baby right?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's Rip's adopted kid or something like that?

e: maybe protege

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've not followed rip haywire that closely but who is this kid that looks like rip junior? Are they related? This has nothing todo with the catpocalypse and the never born baby right?

That's definitely RJ. In life's harshest blow, the Catpocalypse made him a prepubescent at the same time it reset the Breezy and Cobra triangle.

(e: Unless you mean "Why is he in this scene?", and the answer to that is "Because he tagged along on the failed delivery.")

MEANWHILE...because apparently a week off isn't what it used to be, Bloom County showed up again yesterday afternoon.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 12, 2016

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

painynumbs posted:

I'll stick around, definitely. And point out every gently caress-up, by all means. I can fix them. I have the technology.

How long do you have to color each strip? Or are you spared the "efficiency monitoring" that plagues the modern workplace? From what I've seen, quality coloring can really make the comic shine, but I'm sure the management thinks that 10 seconds with the fill tool is good enough.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Just off the top of my head, I think the egregious colouring mistakes are generally at King Features rather than Universal UClick. I assume you guys get the full strip with dialogue and everything to base your colours on? I've often wondered whether it's something like strips being sent to the colourists without the text that results in stuff being coloured differently to how it's described.

Yeah, we get the full strip with dialogue. If someone says "Look at your lovely blue pants," the pants better be blue. When I proof pages, I find mistakes like that all the time. Sometimes when you've been staring at Doonesbury or something for 2+ hours, you just want to finish coloring those fish-lipped people and not read what they're saying.

My Lovely Horse posted:

So what's the general sentiment in the office about Nancy?

Nobody likes it. And I do know that dude came to the office once with a really young lady who people assumed was his daughter but was actually his girlfriend.

Stephan Pastis once marched in and yelled at my boss when I worked in books. That was pretty funny.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008
What the gently caress, Luann? Did you seriously not think Quill might have made other plans when you didn't talk about that New York trip for, what, six months?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is teenage idiot accurate.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

goatface posted:

That is teenage idiot accurate.

This is very true, though I still wonder who the Evanses expect us to be siding with. If they are aware of how their title character is coming off and it was intentional, then that's fine. They don't have a great history of being able to tell which of their characters are and aren't being utter dicks, though, so it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Are the other two already dead? Those faces are terrible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is he hammering clip-art together in an attempt to make real people?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

goatface posted:

Is he hammering clip-art together in an attempt to make real people?
I think it's the opposite, actually - anyone Jam Esallen hasn't drawn a million times/stolen from the historic Jackel Rod clipart files looks pretty poo poo. He also doesn't quite seem to realize that keeping Mark in a traditional look while making new cast members more... um... "realistic" makes for some gnarly stylistic clash.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons, with Special Guest Star Bruce Tinsley

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 19, 1951)

Barnaby (June 26, 1942)

Nancy (March 5, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (November 16, 1928)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

painynumbs posted:

I feel like I GET to color Heavenly Nostrils (we still name the files hev.whatever because it's a better title, dammit)

<me> here's what the colorist said. isn't that nice?
<Dana Simpson> She does really nice work.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Manuel Calavera posted:

Compu-Toon

I don't know that I've ever seen a story arc in Compu-Toon.

F Minus

Score!

My Lovely Horse posted:

WHERE THE gently caress, IF ANYWHERE, IS THIS ARC GOING
Every day I ask myself this. Every single day. I keep thinking it will end, but it does not.

This MW-Olive story goes back to before Thanksgiving, by the way. In that time, nothing has happened. They've seen some sites in NYC, Mary has told Olive some weird platitudes without any real reason provided by the context, Olive's parents can't keep their hands off each other, and they met a homeless guy and visited that baker that's pining for Mary despite no contact for a couple years now.

Without further ado, Mary Worth

Morbius!

Rex Morgan MD

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Web's setting himself up for like 3 comeuppances.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Johnny Walker posted:

That guy collided with an invisible forcefield and Mary is spouting some Vulcan platitudes. I approve of the new sci-fi direction this is going.

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Captain Midnight (1943)

Yeah, no Tor is probably going to serve in the Royal Air Force for the rest of the war.

Also if I told you where this was going (serious spoilers) them dicking around in the Canadian wilderness for the next 90 strips, would you believe me?
Classic Spider-Man (1998)

Huh, a new identity eh?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is not appropriate for mixed company.

Working Daze is not appropriate for anyone.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix reveals an unwelcome truth.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

This is very true, though I still wonder who the Evanses expect us to be siding with. If they are aware of how their title character is coming off and it was intentional, then that's fine. They don't have a great history of being able to tell which of their characters are and aren't being utter dicks, though, so it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't understand who this boring rear end fight is supposed to entertain.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Well, I was not expecting this.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't know that I've ever seen a story arc in Compu-Toon.

Boyce apparently gets in the mood to make these anti-bullying stories once in a while. I remember asking the thread last time I noticed if he was alright, because it seemed like a month of no punchlines, just very slow revenge fantasies.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Sharay posted:

What the gently caress, Luann? Did you seriously not think Quill might have made other plans when you didn't talk about that New York trip for, what, six months?

No because everyone else exists to service Luann's needs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Kingdom posted:

I actually thought it was where this was going, but I didn't expect to be right.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Every day I ask myself this. Every single day. I keep thinking it will end, but it does not.
This MW-Olive story goes back to before Thanksgiving, by the way. In that time, nothing has happened. They've seen some sites in NYC, Mary has told Olive some weird platitudes without any real reason provided by the context, Olive's parents can't keep their hands off each other, and they met a homeless guy and visited that baker that's pining for Mary despite no contact for a couple years now.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's gonna be spring soon. Then it'll be summer and any ponds will thaw and it'll be too hot to wear coats and people will walk around in tank tops and shorts and that old biddy will still be barging in on those innocent people's lives celebrating thanksgiving.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

:(

Breaking up with someone you care about knowing it's the right thing is hard as hell.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

All I saw:

Outbusts of King Kong Bundy

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Missed a few days of comics, I'm only catching us up on the Nancys.

Six Chix

Okay?

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Ha ha ha! Sluggo is slowly starving to death, what fun!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

"Here, I came to your children's birthday as a friend, but I also brought this dossier of the people I'd like you to kill."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Seen here: A girl breaking up with her boyfriend. It's not because she doesn't still care for him, but because life circumstances have just made the relationship unworkable and it's time to let him go.

But this is Luann, so there's not really any nuance, just a black and white "Quill is being selfish so I'm breaking up with him!" And normally this might not seem quite so bad, since I've been yelling at Luann to break up with Quill for months, except that right now Ces is absolutely dominating the "Teen Girl Breaking Up With Her Boyfriend" market. The fact that Sally Forth is doing this very same thing so incredibly well throws this shitshow into stark relief.

The only time I really regret choosing mostly soap strips is when I get really behind and need to catch up. Like today! I think I'm gonna try and trickle them out in little bite-size chunks. Boy does that phrasing sound disgusting.

Sally Forth, since I brought it up:

And this is how you do this right.

• Locked thread