Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I can't wait to see the MRAs have a loving aneurysm when Finn and Poe become the first gay Star Wars couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hbomberguy posted:

*some good poo poo about pew pew space movies*

Thanks for highlighting some parts of why the first trilogy just loving works, but I can't help but think on how none of that kinda poo poo shows up in the new movies, prequels especially. And I don't really hold out hope that the next movies will, either, though it's be pretty awesome if they did.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Beefstew posted:

I can't wait to see the MRAs have a loving aneurysm when Finn and Poe become the first gay Star Wars couple.

Oh please, neither of them are white, they probably don't care. Now if they actually do go ahead with the white female lead dating the black male lead, I'm fairly certain heads will explode.

I mean, I guess I'd be cool with either outcome, since they both more or less nuke Hollywood's conventional wisdom about audiences wanting only Generic Straight White Dudes as their protags.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Arcsquad12 posted:

But Po is a guy and furthermore

lornekates posted:

OMG PO IS RELATED TO YOUNG ANAKIN

Poe. Normally I don't give a crap about spelling a name wrong, but all I can see in my head is the Kung Fu Panda guy sitting in an X-wing.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Thanks for highlighting some parts of why the first trilogy just loving works, but I can't help but think on how none of that kinda poo poo shows up in the new movies, prequels especially. And I don't really hold out hope that the next movies will, either, though it's be pretty awesome if they did.

I think the prequels do a lot of things better than the originals because they go out of their way to challenge the Jedi even more. Before the prequels, the Jedi were talked about as these cool smart badasses with lazer swords that just happened to all get wiped out. Being a Jedi was this intrinsically good thing and the end of Return is traditionally interpreted as a win for the jedi, when the jedi that return are the actually good ones, which presumably haven't existed since long before the prequels began. There are less living Jedi by the end of Return than the beginning.

The prequels challenge the traditional interpretation by making the Jedi into creepy monsters who people are afraid of, they talk like the Imperials did in New Hope, they don't do anything about slavery, etc, and reminding you that the republic fell specifically because these douchebags failed to protect it, by not actually fighting for peace and justice. Anakin becomes Darth Vader by deciding this is hosed, and helping to kill them all, throwing in his lot with fascism in the hopes that this will keep order.

I don't want to go into more detail because I've :words: 'd enough as it is, and I'd actually like to branch out into doing video essays about films and stuff. Lord knows I can't keep watching and thinking about neoreactionaries much longer. It's bad for the complexion. It's turning me white.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

Luke and Anakin get an arc in each individual film.

Can you tell me what arc Anakin had in Episode 1? Because I'm having a hard time coming up with one. He didn't really change at all in personality, he just got passed around from place to place like a ball. "Hey you're a slave, hey you're following a lady, hey you're on autopilot doing pewpews, hey you're a padawan."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He had an arc outside of himself.
"You can't do that!"

"The hell I can't bitch"

*blows up a half eaten donut*

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not saying the movie actually did it remotely well, but I saw it as the end of Anakan being a carefree, innocent kid. Kind of a "last days of the last summer of childhood" kinda thing.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh please, neither of them are white, they probably don't care. Now if they actually do go ahead with the white female lead dating the black male lead, I'm fairly certain heads will explode.

I mean, I guess I'd be cool with either outcome, since they both more or less nuke Hollywood's conventional wisdom about audiences wanting only Generic Straight White Dudes as their protags.

Poe, Finn and Rey in a mutual, open, bisexual relationship, Rey being the most confident and dominant one, especially so in any scene directly pertaining to their relationship.

It would be incredible for a lot of reasons, but the main thing is every regressive group remotely related to nerd culture literally melting from all of the liquid in their body turning to boiled piss.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

unironic shipping to speculate about annoying mras itt

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Moartoast posted:

Poe, Finn and Rey in a mutual, open, bisexual relationship, Rey being the most confident and dominant one, especially so in any scene directly pertaining to their relationship.

It would be incredible for a lot of reasons, but the main thing is every regressive group remotely related to nerd culture literally melting from all of the liquid in their body turning to boiled piss.

This would be the ideal.

But, but hey, I'll settle for gay Poe and Finn, or at the VERY LEAST, not turning Rey into a romantic interest for one of the main trio.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Archer666 posted:

Can you tell me what arc Anakin had in Episode 1? Because I'm having a hard time coming up with one. He didn't really change at all in personality, he just got passed around from place to place like a ball. "Hey you're a slave, hey you're following a lady, hey you're on autopilot doing pewpews, hey you're a padawan."

Anakin goes from a slave who wants to help people and see the slaves freed, to a participant in the society that turns a blind eye to it. Phantom Menace is a story about his indoctrination.

While destroying the ship, Anakin cries 'now this is podracing!' What is podracing beside an entertaining display for its onlookers? He goes from someone seeking mobility and freedom to someone who has it, but wastes it reveling in a pseudo-conflict with random libertarian types. No-one does anything about slavery, even him. It's a pretty dark transition.

The key joke is that the ship he gets into is 'on auto-pilot'. He doesn't actually attain true freedom.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Is there any clue any of them are bi that I missed or has that just become a shipper meme?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

DeusExMachinima posted:

Is there any clue any of them are bi that I missed or has that just become a shipper meme?

Oscar Isaac seemed to hint at it in an interview. And Poe and Finn have a pretty great bromance going on already. And people are reading into stuff like Finn's inquiry of whether Rey had a "cute boyfriend".
But even if Poe/Finn doesn't happen, we can always fall back on Kylo/Hux.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Beefstew posted:

Oscar Isaac seemed to hint at it in an interview. And Poe and Finn have a pretty great bromance going on already. And people are reading into stuff like Finn's inquiry of whether Rey had a "cute boyfriend".
But even if Poe/Finn doesn't happen, we can always fall back on Kylo/Hux.

I'm pretty sure too I read somewhere that the actors agreed to play it like it was a romance between them.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

It's also funny to think about creepers who think every friendly interaction between a male and female character means they unquestionably probs have sexual feelings for one another because "that's just logic" (though, evidently, said creeps aren't satisfied here because oh no black people and vaguely dominant women) but the moment there's a hint of a genuine sexual male/male relationship or any other DEVIANT DEGENERATE BEHAVIOUR they need in-universe logical chekhov's gun reasoning for "the gay" otherwise it's unrealistic pandering to the <pejorative meme/buzzword for people with vaguely progressive mindsets and anyone that's not an insecure straight white male>.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WickedHate posted:

I'm not saying the movie actually did it remotely well, but I saw it as the end of Anakan being a carefree, innocent kid. Kind of a "last days of the last summer of childhood" kinda thing.

I'm sure he had quite the carefree innocent childhood as a slave with an implanted explosive in him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm sure he had quite the carefree innocent childhood as a slave with an implanted explosive in him.

He had hobbies and free time and a big roof under his head and three squares a day and was aware of it enough to joke about getting his head blown off and was treated with respect and actually built a slave himself plus it's a fantasy setting

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I like the cut of your jib, HBG, but I really feel like you're putting more thought into the prequels than Lucas did, at least WRT the Jedi. It seems more like a lot of the issues were just "bad writer threw a bunch of stuff together without examining how it connected."

(This is not to discourage any future fanwank, because lord knows I read way too much into things that are objectively stupid when I'm really into them.)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

I like the cut of your jib, HBG, but I really feel like you're putting more thought into the prequels than Lucas did, at least WRT the Jedi. It seems more like a lot of the issues were just "bad writer threw a bunch of stuff together without examining how it connected."

(This is not to discourage any future fanwank, because lord knows I read way too much into things that are objectively stupid when I'm really into them.)

That's not necessarily an issue in analysis, creator intention is at best a bonus for it, but that last post does honestly feel more like trying to fit the film to the theory than trying to fit the theory to the film, HBG. Like you have this theory in mind about it in advance and you're going to make the film fit it by whatever means necessary in order to support the theory.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Puppy Time posted:

We've got so many loving hours of interviews and behind the scenes footage that show George Lucas was attempting something like this. Hate the prequels all you want, but gently caress this "George Lucas just threw random stuff at the screen" meme, it's loving stupid. Say instead how he failed or whatever.

Calaveron posted:

He had hobbies and free time and a big roof under his head and three squares a day and was aware of it enough to joke about getting his head blown off and was treated with respect and actually built a slave himself plus it's a fantasy setting

Sure, I too think child labour is great.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the gay thing would be more outrageous to bigots than interracial stuff. I don't think white women marrying black men is particularly shocking to anyone who isn't literally over the age of 80.

EDIT: The real shocking thing is when they announce Rey is asexual in the second movie and the the third introduces her Gungan-kin headmate. Jum-Jum Branks.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 12, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think the gay thing would be more outrageous to bigots than interracial stuff. I don't think white women marrying black men is particularly shocking to anyone who isn't literally over the age of 80.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

:lol:

That's some batshit crazy crapola right there. Like, belongs-in-a-psychiatric-ward levels of paranoia and delusions.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm extremely envious of your naive optimism. No, seriously, that's not a dig, I mean I genuinely wish I wasn't in a spot where every bit of diversity I see now, I think of as "Hey, cool" followed by "Loads of people are probably being gross assholes about this right now in some way, aren't they", followed by lots of internal self-destructive musings that leave me depressed for the rest of the day/week/month. Along with all the other toxic cultural baggage I've gotten a bad habit of internalizing/brooding about for far too long. poo poo's not fun.

I don't know how much of it is rumor-mill-type stuff, but I recall seeing something about a fuckin' Cheerios ad that got pulled because execs said the black male/white female couple portrayed in the commercial was making audiences uncomfortable. This was only a few years ago, mind.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

We've got so many loving hours of interviews and behind the scenes footage that show George Lucas was attempting something like this. Hate the prequels all you want, but gently caress this "George Lucas just threw random stuff at the screen" meme, it's loving stupid. Say instead how he failed or whatever.
I think it'd be much more accurate to say that Lucas failed to explore these topics in the detail most would like, and as a result he comes across as not knowing what's going on. If the Republic being hosed up were more front and center it'd honestly have made a much better movie.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

EDIT: The real shocking thing is when they announce Rey is asexual in the second movie and the the third introduces her Gungan-kin headmate. Jum-Jum Branks.
Just having a high profile genre movie with an interracial or gay couple in it would be fantastic. Making it easily dismissable by including something as stupidly tumblr as headmates would be a real shame.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gee it's like they went out of their way to choose the worst font color/background combinations ever. My eyes hurt trying to read about THE LITTLE WHITE CUCK BALL
That phrase has been bouncing around in my head for a whole day now, by the way, a constant relentless echo of pure madness.
It's like poetry, it rhymes :shepicide:

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 12, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think it'd be much more accurate to say that Lucas failed to explore these topics in the detail most would like, and as a result he comes across as not knowing what's going on. If the Republic being hosed up were more front and center it'd honestly have made a much better movie.

See, that's way better put. The "Lucas just did whatever"-meme really irks me because it's just provably not true. If you say he completely failed, however, I can disagree but it's a completely valid opinion.

Edit: poo poo, I'm doing the thing again, talking about the Star Wars Prequels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's quite the Death of the Author you've got going on there Hbomb. Not that I disagree with it, considering who the author is.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Moartoast posted:

It's also funny to think about creepers who think every friendly interaction between a male and female character means they unquestionably probs have sexual feelings for one another because "that's just logic" (though, evidently, said creeps aren't satisfied here because oh no black people and vaguely dominant women)

I'll give the creeps this much, the "these two attractive leads are interacting so they must be in love and having sex" thing is something that films and most media deliberately play up. No matter the obstacle if the main male role in a film is attractive and so is the main female is too, then they will usually stick a romance subplot in there. And if this relationship is "forbidden" or just ill advised in the real world then its almost a certainty. Even if the actors in question have no chemistry or anything in common they'll crowbar in a snogging scene at least.

This is so typical, that I'm genuinely surprised every time a will they won't they scenario ends with them not running off together.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In terms of the general population I'd agree, but there are still plenty of racists who fear the dreaded miscegenation.

Although this gay relationship thing won't be happening beyond vague flirtish dialogue guys. Star Wars is a global brand with a major marketing drive all over the world. And there are large markets in the world that simply won't buy and distribute a film and its associated merchandise with an explicit gay relationship. Its just not going to happen because doing this would cost literally hundreds of millions of dollars in extra profit. Blockbuster films are a business venture first, no matter what.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sure, I too think child labour is great.

Anakin did the equivalent child labor of honey your uncle needs some help at his store would you be a dear?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like I'm not defending child labor or slavery or anything but the writers sure did a bad job at expressing Anakin coming from a troubled background

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Imo, the prequels unironically could have used a lot more grit and boldness in their presentation. A lot of real heavy stuff wasn't presented with subtlety, so much as it was presented with direction that doesn't really sell the gravitas of what's happening.

I'm an OT nerd so I've always had a fairly negative predisposition towards the prequels, but I dig hearing other people interpret them in new and interesting ways. Nothing's really convinced me to go back and watch through them all again, mainly because that's a lot of watching to do and nothing can get me to feel that vague sense of ~magic~™ that the OT did and still does, but I really enjoy hearing people articulate the positives of those films and get new readings out of them.

Hbomberguy is also generally A Good, imho.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Like I'm not defending child labor or slavery or anything but the writers sure did a bad job at expressing Anakin coming from a troubled background

They're slaves who had the freedom to meet with clearly disruptive outsiders for extended periods of time in private. Slaves who had the free time and access to resources to build a podracer AND a droid.

Literally the only reason they're ""slaves"" and not just dirt-loving-poor is so Qui Gon can't just shuffle them on to the ship and leave. There's a million and one better ways it could have been done, from ditching the slave route and just having tension between Shimi and Qui Gon because "gently caress no you can't take me and my son, Mr. Space Druid" or making Anakin and his mom actually, you know, slaves. But none of that happened, sooooo...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Anakin did the equivalent child labor of honey your uncle needs some help at his store would you be a dear?

:rolleyes:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's quite the Death of the Author you've got going on there Hbomb. Not that I disagree with it, considering who the author is.
While I have no conclusive proof that my reading is Lucas' intended one (I suspect I'm partially accurate and partially not), Lucas has accidentally or otherwise been making films with nuanced criticism of liberal democracy since 1971. I can only hope I accidentally make good stuff for 35 years too.

Man I wanna make a video about this but I need to build up to one about the prequels and it'll have to be super long. I'm working on short things right now. Got one in the works about Braid.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Daisy Ridley and John Boyega had good chemistry and looked like they were having fun being in Star Wars, so it was a fun movie to watch. :shrug:

Oscar Isaacs was already good in other things before Star Wars.

I wonder if Davis Aruni is happy with his life? Like, does he enjoy getting up every morning, making videos of himself saying racist and sexist things for the world to see, under his real name? That can't be a fun career, unless he actually believes all the things he says and thinks he's going a postive thing by making them, which is even more sad.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 12, 2016

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He has found purpose in the culture war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Well, he is a huge white nationalist """"""""""""on paper""""""""""""".

• Locked thread