Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Funny story: After using the Robigo-exploit in Maia to scam The Anthill Mob out of 20-30 million credits, I went on a short journey at the border of human space. My plan was landing on some planet out in the boonies, maybe accept some missions and do them legit this time.

Of course as soon as I arrived at the edge of human space, an Anaconda-sociopath spawned on me. But he was "harmless" and I had a Python, so I went for it. My trader-fit Python had only a bad shield, but at least three large pulse lasers. I targeted the power plant and starting shooting. Basically immediately my shields went down. I took a closer look at what the Anaconda was carrying. All multicannons. :shepface:

My hull went down so fast even spitting out chaff didn't slow my demise by much. After my FSD was charged about halfway, half my modules were malfunctioning and my hull was under 10%.

I didn't make it.

Curiously, the money I lost due to having to rebuy my ship was a bit less than the fines and bounties I'd amassed with my shenannigans. Also I learned the important lesson to not engage a huge ship filled to the brim with kinetic weapons when I'm sporting the literally worst shield possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
a friend of mine is in a group who just blackmailed :frontear: to add them to the game, and he mentioned they were looking for some people to kill, should i point him in the direction of the diamond frogs? (as a target so he can get flattened :) )

Update: their name Achenar Immortals

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 12, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

TheresaJayne posted:

just blackmailed :frontear: to add them to the game

Uhhh, more detail please

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TheresaJayne posted:

a friend of mine is in a group who just blackmailed :frontear: to add them to the game, and he mentioned they were looking for some people to kill, should i point him in the direction of the diamond frogs? (as a target so he can get flattened :) )

Update: their name Achenar Immortals

I doubt blackmail.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

KakerMix posted:

I doubt blackmail.

Naw man they're total badasses :jerkbag:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
With a heavy heart i finally sold my Taco truck sidewinder. After getting interdicted and blown up on a courrier mission (By a puny Adder, dammit) i decided to upgrade to an Eagle. Its deliciously sleek and i love the new cockpit UI. It "feel" the same but the subtle differences underline its a different ship.

Fitted with a C rank FSD, B Rank shields and a second 2T fuel tank i can do long range delivery in 2-4 jumps while before the Taco truck needed 9+ jumps.

I'm starting to see how some people quickly got bored of the game if all they did is

code:
For  Credits=1000 to Credits= 1000000
Land()
get mission()
Launch()

While NOT (at destination)
Jump()
End While

land()
End For
For now i'm still having plenty of fun exploring and scanning but i need a name for my new Eagle.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
DFS Skipped the Options Package

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Shooting wanted ships with the space police at a nav beacon is pretty good credits as a newbie, I've gotten up to 80k credits per destroyed ship

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Daztek posted:

Shooting wanted ships with the space police at a nav beacon is pretty good credits as a newbie, I've gotten up to 80k credits per destroyed ship

Indeed, and you'll be better equipped for that in an eagle. But do what's fun before what's profitable! You sound like you're having a blast.

Speaking of fun, I've made progress on that front with the Imperial rep grind. Assaulting surface bases with MY ASPACHE was paying well and was fairly interesting. But after an unfortunate loss of said Asp (while I was not in it) left me alone in my SRV in decidedly hostile territory, I've decided that life as an attack helicopter pilot is not for me. Compared to what you can achieve just giving the Federation money, the rep gain is garbage. It also requires you to play the board reset minigame, and after smuggling and fed rep I'm pretty burnt on loading screens.

So I smuggle classified data now. After turning in my last round of basekiller missions, I saw a classified data run, grabbed it, jumped one system over, and delivered it for an easy 12% of my rank bar. From there I found another mission, and so on. There always seems to be at least one on the board, and though they don't pay much the rep gain is fabulous. It also makes a nice breadcrumb trail into systems I haven't seen yet, so I'm scanning as I go, and sometimes finding donation missions where I land. Best of all, I can just stay logged into Open and not have to play Bulletin Board Reset Simulator 2016. If anyone else got bored of Cubeo runs as fast as I did, I recommend it.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 12, 2016

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Got the imperial courier :toot:

I have all the flight sim sperg gear including TrackIR, so the bubble canopy makes me happy.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

BMan posted:

Got the imperial courier :toot:

I have all the flight sim sperg gear including TrackIR, so the bubble canopy makes me happy.

Oooooh, man of ideas. I have TrackIR and the rank for a courier. Maybe I'll grab one for my information couriering.

Grats on your acquisition!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Peek of the week is back

:stwoon:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Today I discovered docking computers, they seem pretty handy, I can't wait for it to introduce my face to a wall :allears:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Peek of the week is back

:stwoon:

needs more dakka

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Docking computers are great, I love to fly into outposts and planets at insane velocities and then watch it freak out trying to get my Asp to the landing pad. I'm always impressed by the results, but if it ever attains sentience I won't blame it for splattering me across some rock.

Can anyone recommend a good home base system near the center of the bubble? Ideally I want Li Yong-Rui and some decent outfitting, with imperial and/or fed shipyards nearby. I'm getting to the point where ship hulls are expensive and I'd rather store them than eat 10% every time I change rides... but I don't have access to the Founder's system yet

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Can anyone recommend a good home base system near the center of the bubble? Ideally I want Li Yong-Rui and some decent outfitting, with imperial and/or fed shipyards nearby. I'm getting to the point where ship hulls are expensive and I'd rather store them than eat 10% every time I change rides... but I don't have access to the Founder's system yet
I heard some cool dudes hang out at 63 G. Capricorni.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm getting to the point where ship hulls are expensive and I'd rather store them than eat 10% every time I change rides... but I don't have access to the Founder's system yet

... am I an idiot for keeping all my old ships when I upgrade? Do you goonses generally sell your ships every time you want to switch?

I have poo poo strewn all across the bubble.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

kedo posted:

... am I an idiot for keeping all my old ships when I upgrade? Do you goonses generally sell your ships every time you want to switch?

I sell some and keep others. If it's a big expensive ship and I got it at a discount (Python/Anaconda/Corvette/Cutter) I tend to just sell all the modules off and "Mothball" it when I'm not using it. If the modules are a pain in the rear end to find I just leave them in.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

kedo posted:

It's just a personal style thing. I keep if the modules are annoying to find (but that's rarely an issue now with eddb.io), if I actually plan to reuse it shortly, or if the hull costs more than 10 million. Otherwise it gets tossed, because I like keeping assets mostly liquid and I dislike clutter.

There's no right or wrong way, it's just how twitchy you are about space pixels. Most of the reason I want a central storage location is because I plan to start stockpiling the different power play modules

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
loving . gently caress. gently caress gently caressgently caressgently caressgently caress

So, the x52 is nice and mansized. however, saitek have loving chimps making their drivers and software.

gently caress

gently caress SAITEK. AT ALL COSTS. gently caress THEM. gently caress.

gently caress

staberind fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 12, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Worth pointing out that the new Huge weapons and possibly also the Large MCs are planned to be fixed only. Which seems fair but I hope they don't have that stupid damage tax the C4 PAC has :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

staberind posted:

gently caress

What happened? I plugged mine in and it works

timn
Mar 16, 2010

staberind posted:

loving . gently caress. gently caress gently caressgently caressgently caressgently caress

So, the x52 is nice and mansized. however, saitek have loving chimps making their drivers and software.

gently caress

gently caress SAITEK. AT ALL COSTS. gently caress THEM. gently caress.

gently caress

Look up the beta 'Windows 10' drivers, those ended up fixing all of my issues even on Windows 7, particularly with getting the little joystick nub to work properly.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

timn posted:

Look up the beta 'Windows 10' drivers, those ended up fixing all of my issues even on Windows 7, particularly with getting the little joystick nub to work properly.

if this works i hope you have lube.

I am going spare with this crap.

timeline:
code:
Get £100 peripheral delivered finally.
Plug it in, install drivers, it works.
Everything else stops working. anything connected via usb turns to a mongoloid brick.
Restart.
Hello bsod.
gently caress.
[various sacrifices to the dark gods]
Manage to start with my main drive and userprofile.
Take a breather
Continue loving about with different usb ports while my golden lemon motherboard has usb driver spackouts.
delete anything vaguely connected with saitek/madcunts
 (seriously, don't buy anything until you can be satisfied with the drivers available, its just dumb to be on the bleeding edge of motherboards/processors etc.
peice of poo poo mobo: asus rog vi formula. with watercooling et al.  usb 3 drivers are rekd. avoid.)
Now: investigating w10 drivers.

staberind fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 12, 2016

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

It's just a personal style thing. I keep if the modules are annoying to find (but that's rarely an issue now with eddb.io), if I actually plan to reuse it shortly, or if the hull costs more than 10 million. Otherwise it gets tossed, because I like keeping assets mostly liquid and I dislike clutter.

There's no right or wrong way, it's just how twitchy you are about space pixels. Most of the reason I want a central storage location is because I plan to start stockpiling the different power play modules

I do this. I am an awful hoarder. Fortunately I have access to Founder's world, which makes things a bit better, though it's in an annoyingly non-central location.

So far I have green shields (1 each of class 3-7), 4 x Imperial hammers, 4 x Pacifier frag cannons, and, er, 2 x cyto-scrambler lasers.

I think all I care about now is the pack-hound missiles, on the off chance they ever get made not poo poo, 'cause they sure look cool.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I want to drive a big ship, what hauls around other ships.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

A very modded x3 carrier was a joy to play around with.

Elite, I hope your developers took note of that.

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
I had an issue with the new windows 10 x52 drivers (both the initial w10 release and the beta) but this was a couple of months ago. This was all on a fresh install of windows 10 so it wasn't possibly inheriting anything from my old functional windows 7 install. They're still in my downloads folder, versions: 7.0.42.12 x64 and 7.0.47.1 x64.

They wouldn't detect when I plugged my x52 in when it got to that step of the installer. If just plugged in normally windows would see it but not have the correct driver, and it would go insane and kill USB inputs globally (e.g. mouse) if I dared to unplug it. I completely removed the drivers by uninstalling from device manager each time I tried to sort this out.

The fix was weird - with the drivers extracted (%windir%\Temp\MadCatz\ after trying to run the installer), plug in the flight stick and find it in device manager, manually install driver, point to that folder and pick from a list. When it gives you the list of available drivers, don't pick the ones that correctly identify your stick, pick the one that says generic HID USB or something. Now your stick will work and not murder everything else when you unplug it, but you will have to (read: I had to) do this every time you plug it back in.

I had other issues with the profiling software - as long as I had a profile loaded, the power would randomly dip off (very noticible because the LED lights would dim and turn off briefly) and on, and if I was in the middle of moving the stick it would reset itself to neutral. I have a powered usb hub and tried it all over the place plugged in elsewhere, so that wasn't the issue.

The same stick worked flawlessly on a second pc still running windows 7.

My combat rudder pedals were doing the same thing with unplugging them causing my usb devices to die until a reboot, but their latest drivers work ok for that now (they weren't available back when I was messing with the x52), so maybe they also sorted out the stick driver issues.

I no longer use an x52.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Efexeye posted:

A ship that ships ships, perhaps?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

xiansi posted:

So far I have green shields (1 each of class 3-7), 4 x Imperial hammers, 4 x Pacifier frag cannons, and, er, 2 x cyto-scrambler lasers.

I think all I care about now is the pack-hound missiles, on the off chance they ever get made not poo poo, 'cause they sure look cool.

I am envious of your hoard and your Founder's access. Definitely grab some pack hounds, Frontier has promised to look at missiles and LYR might get knocked off the lineup between now and then, he's always in the bottom.

I might look at 63G as a central location for my space dragon hoard, if that's where these allegedly cool kids hang out :c00lbert:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I got that cheap thrustmaster hotas and it Just Worked on Win10

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i actually really liked the cheap thrustmaster as well, especially the stock 'flick your index finger up to target" input that the x52 doesn't have

edit: and it's a full range throttle too, so there's no need to rebind a button to All Stop when you're mining after a few beers :argh:

boar guy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 13, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Cheap Thrustmaster thing for the win.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah for 50 bux its great.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Has anyone tried this game with the steam controller?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Has anyone tried this game with the steam controller?

Also works great, better than an Xbox or Playstation controller because you can setup more keybinds.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

...63G as a central location for my space dragon hoard, if that's where these allegedly cool kids hang out :c00lbert:

Xihe is good for outfitting in the 63G region. It doesn't have quite everything, and there's no discount, but it's got most stuff.

The station is nearly 2000Ls away, which is annoying, as is the fact the nearby brown dwarf has huge rings you'll inevitably get too close too.

It also has a HazRes for testing your new loadout though, and 'cause it's so damm hot (due to being next to a brown dwarf planet) it's good for making sure that 4-railgun build won't blow your ship up.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Docking computers are great, I love to fly into outposts and planets at insane velocities and then watch it freak out trying to get my Asp to the landing pad. I'm always impressed by the results, but if it ever attains sentience I won't blame it for splattering me across some rock.

Borr is li yong riu and has lots of res and high level gear for sale at grover terminal.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Caved and got horizons, what the gently caress is going on.

Also, is there any benefit to landing on rocks in deep space for more exploration points or is it still space geese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Apparently you gain exploration points for driving your SRV on planets, more the farther you are away from Sol.
Just driving around and shooting space rocks netted me 1% once, but that took a while and I was only 1k lys out.

• Locked thread