Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mike- posted:

When I stream to my chromecast I have to set the quality to 720p 4mbs or I get stuttering - it sounds like some of you are getting 1080p on your chromecast so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. This is local, however the only quirk is that my computer is connected to a 5ghz version of the network while my chromecast is connected to the regular one. Not sure if that matters or not. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I have this weird anomaly with Plex and my 1st gen Chromecast where if I cast something from my Chromebook or PC in the browser, anything above 4Mbps 720p will stutter hard with choppy video/audio. It's weird. The anomaly is if I cast the same content using the Plex app on my phone instead, it's able to be played directly on the Chromecast just fine at full 1080p.

That said, as mentioned, the Chromecast (both 1st and 2nd gen) is hard capped at 12Mbps with Plex. Any content that has a bitrate over 12Mbps gets transcoded regardless of whatever settings you choose. There's a way to get around that 12Mbps limitation, but it's really not worth the trouble and I find that 1080p at like 8 to 10Mbps looks pretty good on my secondary TV and bedroom TV.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

mike- posted:

When I stream to my chromecast I have to set the quality to 720p 4mbs or I get stuttering - it sounds like some of you are getting 1080p on your chromecast so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. This is local, however the only quirk is that my computer is connected to a 5ghz version of the network while my chromecast is connected to the regular one. Not sure if that matters or not. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Having literally yesterday upgraded my household wireless, I can tell you that this is wireless quality (and thus throughput) related. By running an Ethernet cable from the back room where the server PC is, to the wireless router next the the Chromecast, I went from not being able to stream 1080p (and sometimes not high-action 720p) to being able to stream 1080p flawlessly.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

pubic void nullo posted:

Having literally yesterday upgraded my household wireless, I can tell you that this is wireless quality (and thus throughput) related. By running an Ethernet cable from the back room where the server PC is, to the wireless router next the the Chromecast, I went from not being able to stream 1080p (and sometimes not high-action 720p) to being able to stream 1080p flawlessly.

Admittedly I do not know a ton about wireless networks, but wouldn't it be odd to be wireless quality given that I can stream 1080 to my phone, tablet and ps4 through wireless? I guess the difference is those devices are connecting on the 5ghz band, and my chromecast can't see that network. I guess I can try putting all my devices on the regular band and see if that works.

For more info, I was having stuttering on the chromecast even while selecting the 10mbs 1080p, so I don't think the issue is with the 12mbs hard limit some of you had mentioned.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mike- posted:

For more info, I was having stuttering on the chromecast even while selecting the 10mbs 1080p, so I don't think the issue is with the 12mbs hard limit some of you had mentioned.

This happens when casting from the Plex app on your phone?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Throughput from one SSID to another on a router that offers two, can be spotty at best. Have you tried just sticking both on the same SSID?

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

mike- posted:

Admittedly I do not know a ton about wireless networks, but wouldn't it be odd to be wireless quality given that I can stream 1080 to my phone, tablet and ps4 through wireless? I guess the difference is those devices are connecting on the 5ghz band, and my chromecast can't see that network. I guess I can try putting all my devices on the regular band and see if that works.

Putting all your devices on the regular band (2.4GHz) would halve the bandwidth available to the Chromecast if you are streaming over wireless (half channel time would go to receiving data from the Plex server, half channel time to the Chromecast). It would probably make the situation worse. Especially since the most likely scenario you are facing is interference from another wireless network on the 2.4GHz band. Are you on Channel 1, 6 or 11? Are there other wireless networks within range in the 2.4GHz band? The second most likely scenario is just poor signal quality at the AP, if you can log into your router then check the signal/noise ratio for the Chromecast and the server.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What would be a possible explanation for why I can play (either Direct Play or Direct Stream) 1080p, 8-10 Mbps content on my Chromecast without issue when casting from the Plex app on my phone, but if I cast from my PC or Chromebook via https://app.plex.tv/web/app, anything over 4Mbps bitrate stutters?

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

pubic void nullo posted:

After having written off powerline networking forever ago for some reason, some posts in this thread got me to pick up a kit the other week to connect my bedroom TV devices (on a floor above the main network in an apartment where I can see like 30 other wireless networks). Now everything there works perfectly, including 720p/60 PS4 remote play on the dumb $20 PlayStationTV I picked up for that purpose!

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

teagone posted:

This happens when casting from the Plex app on your phone?

Yes. Normally I have the quality on my phone set to 20mbs 1080p, but I have to switch to 4mbs 720p when I send to the chromecast. I haven't tried sending from the browser.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

pubic void nullo posted:

Putting all your devices on the regular band (2.4GHz) would halve the bandwidth available to the Chromecast if you are streaming over wireless (half channel time would go to receiving data from the Plex server, half channel time to the Chromecast). It would probably make the situation worse. Especially since the most likely scenario you are facing is interference from another wireless network on the 2.4GHz band. Are you on Channel 1, 6 or 11? Are there other wireless networks within range in the 2.4GHz band? The second most likely scenario is just poor signal quality at the AP, if you can log into your router then check the signal/noise ratio for the Chromecast and the server.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll check out the router channels and signal/noise.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I currently use XBMC and had two quick basic Plex questions before I look to dive in. 1 - Does TV content and Movie content need to be separated for scrapers, or can it be in the same folder? 2 - Does Plex store your library data in the cloud, or on your local Plex server?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Internet Explorer posted:

I currently use XBMC and had two quick basic Plex questions before I look to dive in. 1 - Does TV content and Movie content need to be separated for scrapers, or can it be in the same folder? 2 - Does Plex store your library data in the cloud, or on your local Plex server?

You can keep them both in the same folder but you need to create separate libraries for TV and movies. The data is stored locally, at least for non Plex pass. I just have a synctoy script run to copy that data to my Onedrive folder daily in case something happens.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Medullah posted:

You can keep them both in the same folder but you need to create separate libraries for TV and movies. The data is stored locally, at least for non Plex pass. I just have a synctoy script run to copy that data to my Onedrive folder daily in case something happens.

Thanks for the quick response. So basically keep all the data in old folder, create one "library" with a scraper for TV content and one "library" with a scraper for Movie content, both pointing to the same location?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thanks for the quick response. So basically keep all the data in old folder, create one "library" with a scraper for TV content and one "library" with a scraper for Movie content, both pointing to the same location?

So long as your TV shows go by "<show name> - S01E01" naming structure and your movies files are named "<movie name> (year)" Plex libraries should have no trouble sorting out what is what inside a single folder. I still would recommend splitting them up into a TV Shows folder and Movies folder though, but that's only because I'm OCD lmao.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What is my best option for playback of a wide range of audio/video types in a small form factor that supports the Plex client? I use a Synology NAS as a backend for the server that is completely incapable of any transcoding and while most of my collection is all AVC with AC3 or AAC, the FireTV that I generally use (which also comes with a host of crashing problems and has never played video through channels properly) won't play one of those two audio streams (forgot which off the top of my head). I've got an old Zotac PC from when I didn't need a backend server and just ran Kodi off of that, the problem is now I can get OpenPHT up and running on it but it won't play 1080p videos without stuttering, even though they play fine under Windows for PHT but I'm not interested in buying a new Windows license. And my linux knowledge and drive to get this up and running doesn't go far enough to trying to figure that problem out.

So now I'm looking for another alternative. All I care about is someway to watch Youtube, Twitch, (through Plex or independently, another problem with FireTV) and pull videos from the Plex server on a system that can be easily remote controlled from my PC or a small remote.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd just get an Apple TV. There's a Kodi port called MRMC for it (no addons) and a Plex wannabe called Infuse.

Infuse stores all the metadata and information on the Apple TV (meaning you might want the bigger one if you plan to run this and have a big database) and does all the transcoding stuff on the ATV4 itself since it has a good CPU for a smart TV device (it's basically an iPhone 6 without a screen). And a VLC player that will work with your NAS. There's basically all kinds of options there, and while it costs a bit it also has Plex and so if you eventually get a backend that can transcode going again you can use that too.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

nessin posted:

What is my best option for playback of a wide range of audio/video types in a small form factor that supports the Plex client? I use a Synology NAS as a backend for the server that is completely incapable of any transcoding and while most of my collection is all AVC with AC3 or AAC, the FireTV that I generally use (which also comes with a host of crashing problems and has never played video through channels properly) won't play one of those two audio streams (forgot which off the top of my head). I've got an old Zotac PC from when I didn't need a backend server and just ran Kodi off of that, the problem is now I can get OpenPHT up and running on it but it won't play 1080p videos without stuttering, even though they play fine under Windows for PHT but I'm not interested in buying a new Windows license. And my linux knowledge and drive to get this up and running doesn't go far enough to trying to figure that problem out.

So now I'm looking for another alternative. All I care about is someway to watch Youtube, Twitch, (through Plex or independently, another problem with FireTV) and pull videos from the Plex server on a system that can be easily remote controlled from my PC or a small remote.

If you need a new HTPC anyway, you may as well stick the media server on that box, and have it look at the NAS shared for media. Your other option if you can't transcode on the fly, is to work out which files need to be transcoded, and do it on a PC before dropping them back on the server.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Fuzz posted:

Wow this app is not good at streaming 1080p files.

Completely you man. I stream just about everything on "original" remotely since I have gigabit. Transcode or not, it works.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Looking at documentation, it seems like Plex can be set to auto-download subtitle files off the net? Has anyone gotten this working? What googling I've done makes it seem like a rather glitchy process, but I'd love to get it working.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Looking at documentation, it seems like Plex can be set to auto-download subtitle files off the net? Has anyone gotten this working? What googling I've done makes it seem like a rather glitchy process, but I'd love to get it working.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/186575/release-sub-zero-1-3-27-491-subtitles-done-right

Try this, the default scraper was always garbage for me.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, wow, that works a lot better than what I'd managed to do until now. It's not perfect (for example, one of the movie's I've got has a 3-second logo at the front that the subtitles aren't expecting and so the subtitles are all three seconds off), but it's better than nothing. Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bobulus posted:

Oh, wow, that works a lot better than what I'd managed to do until now. It's not perfect (for example, one of the movie's I've got has a 3-second logo at the front that the subtitles aren't expecting and so the subtitles are all three seconds off), but it's better than nothing. Thanks!

Yeah, it can be tricky ensuring the right edition of the subtitles matches the film. Are there subtitle offsets in plex? I don't remember as its been a while since I needed to look at that.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What addons do you guys run? I recently discovered PlexPy and it's pretty sweet!

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I do most of my PLEX watching on a PC with PLEX Home Theater, what would be the best option for using a remote control to navigate instead of keyboard/mouse? I think last time I looked into this it was FLIRC + a Harmony remote but that's been awhile.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CFox posted:

I do most of my PLEX watching on a PC with PLEX Home Theater, what would be the best option for using a remote control to navigate instead of keyboard/mouse? I think last time I looked into this it was FLIRC + a Harmony remote but that's been awhile.

Yeah, definitely get a FLIRC. You can use any IR remote with it, doesn't have to be a Harmony remote. I use an old Apple remote that came with my 2006 model MacBook (RIP). Here's a $5 remote that would work nicely with a FLIRC and Plex Media Player on PC: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Cont...orola+IR+remote

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Which device is the "snappiness" of a 1080p video on a local network dependent on?

I have Plex running on a desktop PC with a wireless N adapter, and when I try to play a 1080p video through my Firestick that's connected to the 5ghz band, the frames stagger.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

5ghz has lower range than 2.4Ghz, so if you have a distance between those two points you may be pairing at a low enough rate that you're saturating the link.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Disharmony posted:

Which device is the "snappiness" of a 1080p video on a local network dependent on?

I have Plex running on a desktop PC with a wireless N adapter, and when I try to play a 1080p video through my Firestick that's connected to the 5ghz band, the frames stagger.

I use a Roku 3 and it works well over WiFi. I can play 40 GB bluray rips and it doesn't lag. But like the person above me said it could be you're to far away. The Firestick is a little under powered if I remember correctly. I have a first gen Firetv and it didn't do Plex so well. Roku has been great for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Burden posted:

I use a Roku 3 and it works well over WiFi. I can play 40 GB bluray rips and it doesn't lag. But like the person above me said it could be you're to far away. The Firestick is a little under powered if I remember correctly. I have a first gen Firetv and it didn't do Plex so well. Roku has been great for me.

Just out of curiosity, what problems did you have with Plex on a first gen FireTV? Just got mine set up but it seems okay, other than the occasional stutter which I attributed to wifi.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Khablam posted:

5ghz has lower range than 2.4Ghz, so if you have a distance between those two points you may be pairing at a low enough rate that you're saturating the link.

The router is just on top of the cupboard above the TV, and the PC (with the media server) is on the same room.

It's also worth noting that the stick is only having problems with this specific 1080p MKV. It doesn't see to have this bad of a lag with the other files — although to be fair, this is the only 8GB+ file I have tested.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Disharmony posted:

The router is just on top of the cupboard above the TV, and the PC (with the media server) is on the same room.

It's also worth noting that the stick is only having problems with this specific 1080p MKV. It doesn't see to have this bad of a lag with the other files — although to be fair, this is the only 8GB+ file I have tested.

Try playing it as a 1080p/8mbps transcode. Not sure if there are differences with current versions, but the firestick from about a year ago has an effective 20mbps limit on a file. PLEX's encryption might even eat into that slightly.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Just out of curiosity, what problems did you have with Plex on a first gen FireTV? Just got mine set up but it seems okay, other than the occasional stutter which I attributed to wifi.

Yeah I had this problem once in awhile with Plex and the Fire TV. The original Plex app for the FireTV is kind of terrible. There's an updated one for FireOS 5 now that is much better but the rollout is being staggered so not all first gen devices have it yet.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Disharmony posted:

Do you have PLEX on any of your mobile devices? Try streaming this same video to one of them while connected to your wifi and see if you experience any issues. This test could help you isolate whether the problem is network or device related.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

BoyBlunder posted:

What addons do you guys run? I recently discovered PlexPy and it's pretty sweet!

Thanks for this, it is cool.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Anyone here tried the PLEX app in the Windows 10 store? I was looking into it since it remote-friendly and Home Theater is not but for some insane reason every time I go into a show/season the app will freeze up and my cpu usage will jump to 35% or so and then after a minute or so it will settle down and the app will respond. It's doing this for every show and every season of a show. I have a 2500k at 4.3GHz so I know it's not for lack of processing power and besides this is just viewing the episode list, not transcoding the video.

So what gives? Anyone else ran into this? Googling didn't turn up with much of anything and it'd be nice to use the app (if it'd work right) until the home theater replacement gets released.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

The app itself was glitchy and would crash more often than it should. Plex in Roku is way more stable. Also for some reason the Plex app on Firetv wouldn't pass through audio, although that may have been fixed now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CFox posted:

Anyone here tried the PLEX app in the Windows 10 store? I was looking into it since it remote-friendly and Home Theater is not but for some insane reason every time I go into a show/season the app will freeze up and my cpu usage will jump to 35% or so and then after a minute or so it will settle down and the app will respond. It's doing this for every show and every season of a show. I have a 2500k at 4.3GHz so I know it's not for lack of processing power and besides this is just viewing the episode list, not transcoding the video.

So what gives? Anyone else ran into this? Googling didn't turn up with much of anything and it'd be nice to use the app (if it'd work right) until the home theater replacement gets released.

I use it without issue and really like it, on a much slower CPU. Perhaps re-install it?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Anyone have a decent setup for an always on low power dedicated Plex PC without breaking the bank? No NAS I've looked at has the cpu to handle transcoding.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Intel NUC with an i3 cpu? Not exactly cheap though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drythe posted:

Anyone have a decent setup for an always on low power dedicated Plex PC without breaking the bank? No NAS I've looked at has the cpu to handle transcoding.

Lenovo TS140 with Core i3/4GB RAM, or if you're the only one going to be accessing your server, a Dell PowerEdge T20 with a Haswell Pentium/4GB RAM should be enough to transcode. Both are low power usage; the TS140 generally hovers around $200-$250 when on sale, while the T20 has gone as low as $140. You just have to add storage drives and an OS to either system.