Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

TAP THE HOLE. PUT A BIG BOLT IN INSTEAD. AND I MYSELF SHALL CARRY YOU TO THE HALLS OF VALHALLA.

I like that the big bolt is shiny and chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=825cEptCWc4

UL burning a hoverboard like a yule log.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=825cEptCWc4

UL burning a hoverboard like a yule log.

What was the external heat source?

That was really satisfying to watch.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

The Midniter posted:

I think it was some sort of electric heater. You can see a cord dangling on the other side of the table.

I'm also still unreasonably upset that they have the gall to call them hoverboards when they clearly have wheels that touch the ground.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Independence Day came early this year. I love how many different parts go flying off to start new homes.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

If you prefer an .epub I've got a version I'm happy to share around!

Ignition! is in the public domain. Grab a copy from the Sciencemadness library.

http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

they also have a pdf copy of Max Gergel's Excuse Me Sir, Would You Like to Buy a Kilo of Isopropyl Bromide? as well as the following work, cleverly-titled as The Ageless Gergel.

all three are well worth reading.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
First one had a one time variable valve timing event.

Second has a mystery coolant loss situation which has yet to be unravelled (it was home time)

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 11, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Is this a truck engine? I have never seen a diesel injector which looked like that before

http://www.dieselnext.com/products.php?manufacturer=24&PHPSESSID=fda5483e9ccdd4e743e6d08b1b2ee865

Does the cam shaft provide the high pressure, then the electricalised bit squirt in the fuel?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Midniter posted:

I imagine they could just remove the regulator for the charging circuit.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Is this a truck engine? I have never seen a diesel injector which looked like that before

http://www.dieselnext.com/products.php?manufacturer=24&PHPSESSID=fda5483e9ccdd4e743e6d08b1b2ee865

Does the cam shaft provide the high pressure, then the electricalised bit squirt in the fuel?

That's a unit injector, instead of a common rail. It's a plunger (driven by a cam) and the electronics determine whether or not the fuel supply is open or closed. Fuel supply line is closed only when it's meant to be injecting fuel (and being closed allows it to build up the injection pressure inside the injector unit). Otherwise, it's open. At least, that's how I understand its operation from 10 years ago (really, 10?) when I was an intern at a plant making those exact things :D

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Late to the party but it was worth posting twice.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cartoon posted:

Late to the party but it was worth posting twice.

Hell for all I know I saved it from here and forgot. I left the keys and my leather jacket on the car trunk sitting exposed and went inside last night

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
120 accidents and 30 injuries from people running over themselves because their Chrysler gearshift is too confusing.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/u-s-investigators-find-fiat-chrysler-gear-shifters-confusing-1.2768952

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

120 accidents and 30 injuries from people running over themselves because their Chrysler gearshift is too confusing.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/u-s-investigators-find-fiat-chrysler-gear-shifters-confusing-1.2768952

quote:

Agency tests found that operating the centre console shift lever "is not intuitive and provides poor tactile and visual feedback to the driver, increasing the potential for unintended gear selection," investigators wrote in the documents. They upgraded the probe to an engineering analysis, which is a step closer to a recall. NHTSA will continue to gather information and seek a recall if necessary, a spokesman said.

Touchscreens for everything!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

quote:

A light shows which gear is selected, but to get from Drive to Park, drivers must push the lever forward three times.

loving hell. Ergonomics is a dead art, killed by gee-wiz touchscreen designers. Do you wish to steer left? [ Yes / No / In-app upgrade to autosteer $50 ]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Throatwarbler posted:

In this particular case, the interface is poorly designed. At the same time, the drivers’ failure is why we can’t have nice things, like EVs that don’t “creep” like a 19‐goddamn‐40 Hydra‐Matic®.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I talked about this after recently renting a grand cherokee.

It's hard to get it into reverse, you basically have to stare at the cluster when going from reverse to gear or whatever else and touch the lever just right to get it into the right gear. The shifter actually has 2 notches each direction, and just pushing the lever all the way forward through both notches will usually get it into park, but the notches are very light. I could easily somebody who just slams it forward and back all the time at some point only engaging the first notch and assuming it's in park only for it to be in neutral or reverse.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

In this particular case, the interface is poorly designed. At the same time, the drivers’ failure is why we can’t have nice things, like EVs that don’t “creep” like a 19‐goddamn‐40 Hydra‐Matic®.

You can have nice things, like this:

I like creep, because it's easier to be precise when you're braking a creeping car than when you are accelerating a freewheeling one. Don't like it? Switch it off!

But anyway, the real problem is what constitutes a "nice thing". We've recently gone from mechanically actuated gearboxes to computer commanded, electromechanically actuated gearboxes. In this case, they've decided to stick with the physical interface of a shift lever, probably because they didn't want to spook customers with some space computer interface. And yet the drat lever doesn't behave like the one it's imitating. Either imitate properly, or design something new that provides good feedback for the user. Push button shifters were a thing in the 50s and would be perfect for today's computerized cars. What could be simpler and clearer than buttons with detents and lights? But the executives and designers wouldn't be happy unless it was a proximity sensor you gestured at or a touchscreen you had to swipe. Maybe a retina scan that detects your desire to reverse.

The touchscreen and computer commanded actuation has set designers free to make very nice things, yet the design committees often end up with a complicated mess of contradictory compromises trying to account for various vague ideas about what the customer wants. This includes everything from airliners to cars to bluetooth enabled coffee cups.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

That's a unit injector, instead of a common rail. It's a plunger (driven by a cam) and the electronics determine whether or not the fuel supply is open or closed. Fuel supply line is closed only when it's meant to be injecting fuel (and being closed allows it to build up the injection pressure inside the injector unit). Otherwise, it's open. At least, that's how I understand its operation from 10 years ago (really, 10?) when I was an intern at a plant making those exact things :D

That's pretty much exactly how it works. The newer ones have a regular injector every other injector and the pumping injectors are used to feed a common rail instead.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

If you don't know how to operate your vehicle then you are 100% at fault. Pushing the stick forwards a notch for each selection on the PRNDL is...different to how it's been before, but not impossible to understand. Even if you don't read the owners manual, you can watch the loving letter on your dash change from N to R to P, the first time you move the lever, and instant realise how it works.

I'd like to see their reactionTM to how you get a Lambo into neutral or reverse (my experience with the Gallardo was frustrating).

'creep' on EVs is dumb as hell though. Yes, please hold my vehicle using the transmission if I'm on a gentle incline, but don't make me keep my foot on the brake the whole drat time.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's one area where a designer really has to be careful in modern engineering. You sit there in your meeting and unanimously say "it's not difficult to figure out, right?" and then 1 in 1000 people nearly die because they didn't. It has to be something that nobody will misunderstand. Either identical to previous designs or so different that you learn a different routine.

Seems to me an electronic shifter would be ideal for buttons, right next to the stop start button. Push P for park, D for drive, and R for reverse. Who in a modern car needs neutral or low, like ever? Also since it's an electric transmission you could easily have it nanny into park with the seatbelt being unplugged, with the door being opened, or a seat switch when the driver gets out. The irony is they'd have to understand that their shifter sucks before designing in the nanny backups, and if they figured that out they'd just make the shifter intuitive.

It's a fine line between stupid and clever.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Or you could just make the car the way it was designed and let the dumb-dumbs kill themselves and other innocent people and then get sued for their stupidity.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, having shift buttons near the on/off button has been tried and was found to be a terrible idea just recently in some Lincolns or something. People kept turning off the car instead of putting it in whatever gear they wanted.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Toyota figured it out,
code:

D
 |
N+--o
 |  |
 R  B
And a big honking button w/light for park.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Boat posted:

code:
 D
 |
N+--o
 |  |
 R  B

D and R are back to front. It's too confusing!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boat posted:

Toyota figured it out,
code:
 D
 |
N+--o
 |  |
 R  B

A button they put way too close to the air vent in some models.

I accidentally hit it the other night while travelling down the highway and trying to adjust the vent. All it does while moving is put it in neutral, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Any design that requires you to look at a display to ensure you are in the gear you want rather than know by feel is indefensible no matter what way you slice it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think there should be some kind of huge lever placed between the front seats and you push a pedal to indicate when you want to change gears or the direction of travel.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Why would you ever want to press a pedal to change gears? This is dumb and will never catch on.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think there should be some kind of huge lever placed between the front seats and you push a pedal to indicate when you want to change gears or the direction of travel.

That sounds like might cost too much.

I could make you a touchscreen version instead.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Why would you ever want to press a pedal to change gears? This is dumb and will never catch on.

No poo poo. How can I be expected to talk on the phone and stuff my face with McShit while beating my kids if I have to use all 4 appendages to drive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Boat posted:

Toyota figured it out,
code:

D
 |
N+--o
 |  |
 R  B

God, a friend and I sat in a Prius zipcar for ten minutes trying to figure out the konami code that made it simultaneously on, parking brake disengaged, and in reverse. There's so much hidden state, you need a preflight checklist.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

God, a friend and I sat in a Prius zipcar for ten minutes trying to figure out the konami code that made it simultaneously on, parking brake disengaged, and in reverse. There's so much hidden state, you need a preflight checklist.

The first time you drive one its pretty confusing, but the steps are simple and it only takes one try before you've got it. It took me three minutes or so before I pulled out the manual to learn that you have to step on the brake to start it.

I think that shift lever is pretty clever but I can't stand the goddamn reverse alarm. Its like they tried to make the Prius as idiot-proof as possible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bring back steering column gear selectors. :colbert:

And get rid of center consoles, I hate feeling like I'm stuck in a cocoon.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Boat posted:

Toyota figured it out,
code:
 R
 |
N+--o
 |  |
 D  B

Fix that for you. Just yesterday I was aiming for the cruise control down speed trap lane and put the car in B. I may or may not have also been what the kids would laugh at "jamming out" a bit too much.

One odd thing in the Prius is sometimes you can engage park and wind up with some "tension" in the car. Sometimes letting off the parking brake the car will lurch forwards when shutdown on a level surface. It's really odd.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Any design that requires you to look at a display to ensure you are in the gear you want rather than know by feel is indefensible no matter what way you slice it.

Quoted for truth. We explicitly purchased my wife's base model 2015 Honda CR-V because it didn't have a touch screen, even though having some of the additional features on the next model up (leather seats, sunroof) would have been really nice. We both agreed that the touchscreen interface for every commonly used function, from climate control to the entertainment system, made the car substantially more dangerous to drive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Everyone remembers this photo right?

This is what it looked like after:

Someone had a rotten unibody and then cut the rear fender lips without filling in the gap created (separating the inner fender and wheel well from the outer fender, and significantly weakening the rear unibody structure) and then got yanked off an obstacle by a retarded mudder in a hickmobile.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

retarded mudder in a hickmobile.

Triple redundancy, well done :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

xzzy posted:

Bring back steering column gear selectors. :colbert:

And get rid of center consoles, I hate feeling like I'm stuck in a cocoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zip4QyJyD5g