Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know I was just throwing something out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Amoeba make the 3rd thing dodgeball.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I, like Quandary, really need a simple game with no overly complicated mechanics where I can just play as a VT.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

HAHAHA I just sent my cover letter as the word document instead of .pdf. I caught it a few minutes letter banged out an apology and sent the pdf version. Please tell me this just didn't sink my chances at this dumb translating job I probably wouldn't get anyway.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

HAHAHA I just sent my cover letter as the word document instead of .pdf. I caught it a few minutes letter banged out an apology and sent the pdf version. Please tell me this just didn't sink my chances at this dumb translating job I probably wouldn't get anyway.

I wouldn't immediately discount someone who sent it in as a word doc instead of a pdf.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

But you're not French are you?

(Eh it's probably fine. I just had lunch, a bit of chocolate, it's raining and I will play bass soon. That poo poo just stresses me out and I had no one to tell seeing as the cat does not give a gently caress.)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
What's up slimes

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Won't French employers reject you on the basis of the handwriting equivalent of phrenology?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The thing with sending something in the wrong format to a point demonstrates a lack of Attention to Detail. While it is very obvious that this stuff can happen all the time, attention to detail is just super important for so many fields, that I could easily see a lot of companies disregarding that resume, assuming they have many qualified applicants. They have to arbitrarily narrow the field somehow, and first impression is a main criterea for this.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

kaschei posted:

Won't French employers reject you on the basis of the handwriting equivalent of phrenology?

It seems like they may in some places, but not for anything I'm applying for thankfully. I have atrocious American public school hand writing. Everyone here though writes by and large the same. It's pretty remarkable.

JakeP posted:

The thing with sending something in the wrong format to a point demonstrates a lack of Attention to Detail. While it is very obvious that this stuff can happen all the time, attention to detail is just super important for so many fields, that I could easily see a lot of companies disregarding that resume, assuming they have many qualified applicants. They have to arbitrarily narrow the field somehow, and first impression is a main criterea for this.

Yeah. That's what I figure, on the other hand it's pretty grunt work so I think the sincerity and desperation of my apology might help. Who knows.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

When I applied for my current job, I had a typo in my cover letter that I only caught after hitting send on the email. I was told I was almost passed during the initial screening because of it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

whats up my mafiosos

Max
Nov 30, 2002

NM, you?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Max posted:

NM, you?

Not too much, I sure do hope KK still intends to run Cube. Beat Witness and Firewatch which were cool.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Oh and for the first two weeks of Qal I was barely playing because I was making this entry for the SA GameJam. We learn tonight how the judging went, but already found out we made it into the top-10 which is cool. Voting starts tonight for community choice, but you should play the game, it's fun. If you can't, here's a spoiler-filled video of the judges running through things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XeKaYpX4W8&t=2160s

Oh and Harold Krell, who I just realized plays mafia too, made a cool entry (his entries are always cool) so you should probably check out his entry here too! He's also one of the top-10.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 12, 2016

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Atoramos posted:

Not too much, I sure do hope KK still intends to run Cube. Beat Witness and Firewatch which were cool.

How did you find firewatch?

I've been hyped about it for so long.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Tommunist posted:

How did you find firewatch?

I've been hyped about it for so long.

Honestly I was let down pretty hard because I was expecting something closer to an adventure game, and it was relatively short for my tastes. I generally do enjoy that type of game, too. Witness was unbelievable though, and forcing myself through without external help really added to that experience.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I thought Firewatch was what I expected it to be. It keeps track of all the very little things you do quite well, which come back as larger story beats later in the game. I was let down By the ending conversation. It didn't really do for me what I thought it was trying to do.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Borrowing a friends account for ow since he can't run it, and the game is still really fun. Wish there were australian servers though, 200 ping is frustrating.

Picked up X COM 2 as well so I can run entire teams of grunts named kashuno to their deaths.

Sad to hear about firewatch, might still pick it up because w/e but 4 hours is pretty lame.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

First words out of my mouth during the interview for my current job were "I think there has been a mistake, I am not sure I am qualified for this" so you can get by with some faux pas, or, as the french like to call it, fake peaces.

Realistically, unless you are like, mid career or above in a specialized field it is hard to guess if you'd get an interview or not, a lot of it comes down to persistence, which sucks and I am sorry that you have to job hunt because the process blows.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Max posted:

I thought Firewatch was what I expected it to be. It keeps track of all the very little things you do quite well, which come back as larger story beats later in the game. I was let down By the ending conversation. It didn't really do for me what I thought it was trying to do.

If playing differently affected the ending conversation a bit more I would have been impressed, but knowing the results are fairly limited really spoils things. As it stands, the 'Hobo was trying to make a research station seem like it was studying you, then burned down his own home while trying to make you look bad' is just too much of a stretch on-top of the lackluster ending with Delilah. There should have been an ending where she agrees you need to let your wife go, and it's not realistic to suggest everyone would turn their back on you for doing so. I could write endlessly about how amazing I found The Witness on the other hand, though I realize the games are nothing alike; it just blew me away more than Firewatch let me down.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The only thing that stops me from looking for another job is remembering the process of actually looking for a job.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Atoramos posted:

If playing differently affected the ending conversation a bit more I would have been impressed, but knowing the results are fairly limited really spoils things. As it stands, the 'Hobo was trying to make a research station seem like it was studying you, then burned down his own home while trying to make you look bad' is just too much of a stretch on-top of the lackluster ending with Delilah. There should have been an ending where she agrees you need to let your wife go, and it's not realistic to suggest everyone would turn their back on you for doing so.. I could write endlessly about how amazing I found The Witness on the other hand, though I realize the games are nothing alike; it just blew me away more than Firewatch let me down.

The Witness definitely had more "AHA!" moments per square inch than anything else I've experienced in a while.

Also, I'm making what I thought was the final push in The Witcher 3. That game just keeps on going.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

The witcher is amazing, and the dlc is well worth it if you haven't played it yet.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tommunist posted:

The witcher is amazing, and the dlc is well worth it if you haven't played it yet.

I still have to finish the main story. I am getting a little annoyed at how long it stretches out. Like, just let me main line it at this point, stop putting other poo poo in the way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

First words out of my mouth during the interview for my current job were "I think there has been a mistake, I am not sure I am qualified for this" so you can get by with some faux pas, or, as the french like to call it, fake peaces.

Realistically, unless you are like, mid career or above in a specialized field it is hard to guess if you'd get an interview or not, a lot of it comes down to persistence, which sucks and I am sorry that you have to job hunt because the process blows.

I've resigned myself that this will not be the year of my economic break through, at least not with the immediacy I had hoped. My currently plan is to pick up another part time job so that I can keep my library gig and kill time while I wait for a full time position to open up there which seems likely no later than September. All the while this year I'm studying for a exam in March 2017 that will then get me certified to teach in private schools throughout the country and more or less guarantees a a teaching job sometime in the 2017-2018 season, if I pass it anyway.

A full time library job would just be ideal though since I know the place and the people, it's close to home and it'd be stable enough for me to take stock of my general situation and apply for citizenship/advance with general life goals.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
im waiting for the witcher 3 ultimate game of the decade bundle sale with all dlc for 10$ on steam

mostly because i buy games and never play them so at least if i get them cheap i dont have to hate myself for being a stooge

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I vomited during an interview and still got the job.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh poo poo i just got an email there is going to be a frozen synapse 2

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Deadbeat Dad posted:

What's up slimes

Hey dude

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asiina posted:

I vomited during an interview and still got the job.

I remember that story. That was quite the tale.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Max posted:

I, like Quandary, really need a simple game with no overly complicated mechanics where I can just play as a VT.

Maybe you should join my game then.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Firewatch owned. I really really enjoyed it. It tells a story and tells it very well. I don't really care about the amount of hours long a game is, though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Firewatch was decidedly mediocre.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I got up at 5 in the morning to spy Mercury Venus Mars Jupiter and Saturn in the sky and listen to Iron Maiden. As the sun rises and the Kookaburras wake to break the silence of the night.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Max posted:

The Witness definitely had more "AHA!" moments per square inch than anything else I've experienced in a while.

Also, I'm making what I thought was the final push in The Witcher 3. That game just keeps on going.

The Witcher 3 is the game that never ends but it's great the whole way through so I don't mind.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Hey SSV when's Undertalefia going start up, I'm looking forward to watching that one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Lord of Hats posted:

Hey SSV when's Undertalefia going start up, I'm looking forward to watching that one.

I keep getting distracted from writing role PMs by things like Witcher 3 and XCOM 2 :( It'll be SoonTM

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Can you win Undertalefia by refusing to lynch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Deadbeat Dad posted:

What's up slimes

heya~