Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

titties posted:

No.

I buy massive 6-lb institutional tubs of Peter Pan. I eat one in 2-3 weeks. With a spoon. From the tub.

That's 840 kcal/day in peanut butter, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sandra Lee? :allears: there goes the next 2 hours of my life

cash crab posted:

This reminds me of a Cash Crab Story™. I used to be a cake decorator at a Safeway (can you believe those idiots gave me access to unlimited cake?) Anyway, when I was hired the manager immediately hosed off to Lebanon for about two months, so I got zero training and just made cakes the way I thought my mom would have (my mother's assessment a while later: "What the gently caress is this"). The district... weighing guy? The inspector? I don't know. Some bald guy with a clipboard came in and started looking around and apparently, the half-slab carrot cake I made was supposed to weigh 3lbs. It weighed around thirteen pounds, because I made it with real cream cheese icing. I was instructed to throw it out, which I did not do. I left it in the staff room. </pointless story>

I once bought a tub of cool whip at a gas station and ate the whole thing in an afternoon

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

At least I was not an adult

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Picnic Princess posted:

I once bought a tub of cool whip at a gas station and ate the whole thing in an afternoon

Was this a crying-while-eating scenario?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

cash crab posted:

Was this a crying-while-eating scenario?
Surprisingly not it was "I'm a kid and have 3 dollars, what's the best course of action?" scenario

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Ah, yes. I experienced a similar scenario with a bag of gummi worms, which I quickly found out were discreetly labelled as for diabetics. A tip: diabetic candy will give you Not So Much A Time if eaten in large quantities.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's 840 kcal/day in peanut butter, hth

I eat about 8-12 oz at a time. I am not always aware that I am doing it because apparently I sleep eat and it is always peanut butter. Also I am ever-so-slightly exaggerating because there are other people eating it but they are having a couple PB&Js-worth while I am eating 3/4 of a pound at a time.

E: Wait, am I misunderstanding the terminology or are you saying 840,000 calories / day?

Picnic Princess posted:

Surprisingly not it was "I'm a kid and have 3 dollars, what's the best course of action?" scenario

Same except I was 35

titties has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Feb 12, 2016

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cash crab posted:

Ah, yes. I experienced a similar scenario with a bag of gummi worms, which I quickly found out were discreetly labelled as for diabetics. A tip: diabetic candy will give you Not So Much A Time if eaten in large quantities.

Ah, the old sorbitol runs.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

titties posted:

E: Wait, am I misunderstanding the terminology or are you saying 840,000 calories / day?

kcal is the complete unit, but it's shortened to the (incorrect) cal in common use.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

cash crab posted:

This reminds me of a Cash Crab Story™. I used to be a cake decorator at a Safeway (can you believe those idiots gave me access to unlimited cake?) Anyway, when I was hired the manager immediately hosed off to Lebanon for about two months, so I got zero training and just made cakes the way I thought my mom would have (my mother's assessment a while later: "What the gently caress is this"). The district... weighing guy? The inspector? I don't know. Some bald guy with a clipboard came in and started looking around and apparently, the half-slab carrot cake I made was supposed to weigh 3lbs. It weighed around thirteen pounds, because I made it with real cream cheese icing. I was instructed to throw it out, which I did not do. I left it in the staff room. </pointless story>

What were you supposed to put on it?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How did you add over three times a cake's intended weight just in icing

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

TotalLossBrain posted:

kcal is the complete unit, but it's shortened to the (incorrect) cal in common use.

In American units, the upper-case 'Calories', are equivalent to the kilocalories used in more logical parts of the world. A lower-case calorie is the same everywhere, and is the energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dabir posted:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

chicken breast cooked sous vide

Too much vide

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
That's the saddest vide. (I've seen, don't take that as a challenge, or do it's cool I'm not the boss of you).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

I did the same as a kid, but it had nothing to do with money. I just had a container of chocolate icing that tasted really good and welp.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Captain Redbeard posted:

What were you supposed to put on it?

A really light creamed vanilla icing for the top and sides, and a paper thin layer of denser cream cheese icing in the middle. It's not as good.

Dabir posted:

Cream cheese! Also, I might have added an extra layer of actual cake, I can't remember.

:kimchi:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Puntification posted:

That's the saddest vide. (I've seen, don't take that as a challenge, or do it's cool I'm not the boss of you).

Sous vide, for "perfectly cooked food" every time.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
This probably tastes good, but it looks like plastic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, measuring things in grams for cooking is the most obnoxious thing.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Solice Kirsk posted:

I live in Europe and I had to buy a set of 'measuring cups' and 'tablespoons' from America to properly cook some American recipes, and also a magnetic conversion chart that tells me how many ounces equals 3/8ths of a hogshead or whatever. It's like doing alchemy in the 7th century, why why why

Or you can just weigh poo poo in grams on a digital scale as if you live in the 21st century

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Actually, imperial measurements are the worst. What the gently caress is a "cup"? What cup are we talking here? A coffee cup? A teacup? A world cup? An A cup?
I swear to god just look at this mess

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

otoh saying "350 grams of flour" makes you sound like you're making robot food for robots

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Data Graham posted:

otoh saying "350 grams of flour" makes you sound like you're making robot food for robots

Measuring flour by volume is bad because its density can vary. I mean, I do it, but that doesn't mean you should.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Don't be silly, nothing wrong with using a cup as a measure. Just get an American measuring cup!

Then make sure to know if it's a heaping cup, a level cup, a packed cup, a loose cup, a sifted cup,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm watching someone assemble store-bought ingredients, ostensibly on a "cooking show" on the FOOD NETWORK.

This drives me nuts. It doesn't get any easier than baking a cake and making some icing. It's FUN. gently caress YOU

Tharadalf
Mar 14, 2010
There is a new kebab place near where I live and even though in their flyer they say that they are a true Turkish restaurant, they have this thing called 'Durum Hawaii'.

Yes, it is kebab with pineapple.

I have yet to gather my courage and try it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Meatball tea?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
That's Bavarian liver soup. I think.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This looks like it was taken on the floor of a bathroom.

Brownie and glaze?

quote:

Taco Bell???

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mymla posted:

Actually, imperial measurements are the worst. What the gently caress is a "cup"? What cup are we talking here? A coffee cup? A teacup? A world cup? An A cup?
I swear to god just look at this mess

Yeah, and absolutely none of that matters as long as you are keeping the proportions of ingredients the same as the recipe. A cake made with Canadian cups will be the same as a cake made with US cups even if its a little bigger or smaller or whatever. Taking out electric scales and beakers and graduated cylinders and poo poo just to make banana bread is the craziest poo poo.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Brawnfire posted:

I'm watching someone assemble store-bought ingredients, ostensibly on a "cooking show" on the FOOD NETWORK.

This drives me nuts. It doesn't get any easier than baking a cake and making some icing. It's FUN. gently caress YOU
The secret behind Semi-Homemade is that its for broken home homemakers based on Sandra Lee's practical experience as one herself. Its stuff you are supposed to be able to do completely sauced or 12 years old, or ideally both.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

EorayMel posted:

That's Bavarian liver soup. I think.

Would rather have meatball tea

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

zedprime posted:

The secret behind Semi-Homemade is that its for broken home homemakers based on Sandra Lee's practical experience as one herself. Its stuff you are supposed to be able to do completely sauced or 12 years old, or ideally both.

Nothing will beat the Kwanzaa cake. Nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQbWeNQpiA

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, and absolutely none of that matters as long as you are keeping the proportions of ingredients the same as the recipe. A cake made with Canadian cups will be the same as a cake made with US cups even if its a little bigger or smaller or whatever. Taking out electric scales and beakers and graduated cylinders and poo poo just to make banana bread is the craziest poo poo.
that may work for stuff like banana bread(it's practically cake), not so much for things more involved.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MasterFugu posted:

that may work for stuff like banana bread(it's practically cake), not so much for things more involved.

What? Like macaroons, eclairs, napoleans, or croquembouche? Really it's just two different measuring systems and I just think using exact weights is more complicated than using proportions and way easier to gently caress up.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you use a the wrong kind of cup but the right kind of tablespoon or whatever, then the proportions will get off. Yeah, it probably won't matter, but by that logic you should just eyeball it.

Also, I too think an electric scale is a crazy complicated device to operate.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing will beat the Kwanzaa cake. Nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQbWeNQpiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO92vTihdek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zedprime posted:

Well this just makes it very depressing.

• Locked thread