Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Warning: dead cultists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coNLfyVb5C8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Did the internet short circuit cultism more generally? It only seems to crop up re: scientology and evanegelicals, both of whom are groups that tightly control internet access. Are there hot cults I'm missing out on??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

computer parts posted:

The issue with that is the same issue with modern DRM - the false positives are much worse than the false negatives.

There was a shooter released around 2000 I think that would silently degrade your character so that it was impossible to win if it detected piracy. The issue was that enough people pirated it that they thought it was just a lovely game, and so the game wasn't that successful.

There was a game (I'm thinking 80s) where it would delete a character from the diskette every time you died. I don't know what would have happened if you ran out of player characters :shrug:

e: This wasn't copy-protection. It would do that with legal copies.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

pretty soft girl posted:

Even better, it would jack up the monster spawn rate for the entire game to make it nearly unplayable, and then during a line of dialog in the final boss fight it would lock up and delete all your saves

Huh? I don't remember this at all. Are you saying for ROMS of Earthbound?

Remember when CDkeys for game jewel cases were only numbers? I used to have my Red Alert 2 CDkey memorized :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wicker Man posted:

Huh? I don't remember this at all. Are you saying for ROMS of Earthbound?
Yes. Most ROMs online have long since cracked these protections, but the original cartridge release had multiple "layers" of protections against copier devices.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

The Kins posted:

Yes. Most ROMs online have long since cracked these protections, but the original cartridge release had multiple "layers" of protections against copier devices.

Well that explains why grinding made my characters so overpowered. I never questioned those times when there would be so many enemies, the game would noticeably slow down. I had no idea!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
One of these Heaven's Gate people was the brother of the woman who played Uhura on the original Star Trek series. They're not all dead, since I found the website was still active and looked around on youtube a little, I found at least two people who are apparently not only active on the internet but still pretty convinced that old dude was the messiah or something. That cult existed for a long time before they decided to kill themselves, just like the Jim Jones people. Look it up kids if you find such craziness interesting, that was about a thousand dead people (Jonestown massacre).

Fasdar posted:

Did the internet short circuit cultism more generally? It only seems to crop up re: scientology and evanegelicals, both of whom are groups that tightly control internet access. Are there hot cults I'm missing out on??

I have the feeling people who are susceptible to cults spend their days nowadays in the Youtube comment section, talking about the zionist world conspiracy and how jet fuel can't melt steel beams in all caps. That whole UFO crap specifically seems to have somehow died with the 90s, and the world has kinda changed since 9/11.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Wicker Man posted:

Well that explains why grinding made my characters so overpowered. I never questioned those times when there would be so many enemies, the game would noticeably slow down. I had no idea!

A clean, unmodified ROM dump will run fine in an emulator. Earthbound is just balanced so that you never really have to go out of your way to grind. The copy protection was meant to stop people from playing copies on a real SNES with a device like this one.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Happy times

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Soldier of Fortune?

Good ol'TAGES. I bet it slowing down a game caused many pirates to howl how the "game ran baaad". Then rumors of poor performance spread to the mainstream gaming media and hurt overall sales for a lot of games. :(

My favorite was with the original Deus Ex. The pirated version, whether intentional or not, lacked the boat to leave the first level. You could always tell who pirated by having people asking why they couldn't get to the second level. "They said there's a boat but there's no boat!".

Or Operation Flashpoint.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I think Flashpoint warned about having such a copy protection but was it actually real?

When companies get too excited about "creative" copy protection schemes it usually backfires.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Police Automaton posted:

I have the feeling people who are susceptible to cults spend their days nowadays in the Youtube comment section, talking about the zionist world conspiracy and how jet fuel can't melt steel beams in all caps. That whole UFO crap specifically seems to have somehow died with the 90s, and the world has kinda changed since 9/11.

UFOs was wrapped up in the Chariot of the Gods crap that felt so loving stale by the end of the 70's that my generation left it behind. I think it was also a hanger-on to the space program and once that got boring then the weirdos couldn't convince anyone that their 'secret knowledge' meant anything.

It was replaced with New World Order, One World Government, Illuminati, just like you said. IIRC the John Birch Society kinda rebranded effectively too and got back into the whole business, and they don't give a gently caress about anything off-world.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

I think Flashpoint warned about having such a copy protection but was it actually real?

When companies get too excited about "creative" copy protection schemes it usually backfires.
It's real, and the developer's games are still using it. It starts with subtle things like reducing weapon accuracy, then gets less subtle by twiddling with AI and physics, before finally dropping the hammer and transforming you into a harmless pigeon or covering the screen with a watery distortion filter.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

Police Automaton posted:

They also spend allot of their time in the comments section of zerohedge

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fasdar posted:

there are lots of cults that took to the web and almost all of their websites were designed by the creeping specter of geocities

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Police Automaton posted:

Holy poo poo that site is up: http://heavensgate.com/

Gotta love the "Our Position Against Suicide" page.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Remember flash websites?
This gem was actually still up in its full glory until sometime last year when they finally changed it. A shame, really.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shinmera posted:

Remember flash websites?
This gem was actually still up in its full glory until sometime last year when they finally changed it. A shame, really.
Not even Adobe remembers Flash websites - they just rebranded the Flash application as "Animate" and re-aimed it at HTML5 and TV production, with the whole Flash thing more or less being a legacy feature.

Kind of sad, but such is the steady march of progress, I suppose.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

The Kins posted:

Not even Adobe remembers Flash websites - they just rebranded the Flash application as "Animate" and re-aimed it at HTML5 and TV production, with the whole Flash thing more or less being a legacy feature.

Kind of sad, but such is the steady march of progress, I suppose.

Without Flash how am I supposed to leave a giant gaping security hole on my machine?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Germstore posted:

Without Flash how am I supposed to leave a giant gaping security hole on my machine?

Java Applets got you covered, man.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Anyone remember when HP actually made a half way decent computer but looked like it was made from marshmallow fluff?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shinmera posted:

Java Applets got you covered, man.

Nah no such luck, Oracle will release a new patch every six minutes

to ensure you have the very latest Yahoo toolbar

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Now that Minecraft has an embedded java runtime there's no reason to install java-anything either.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

Now that Minecraft has an embedded java runtime there's no reason to install java-anything either.

Welcome to the world of e-banking in south-eastern Europe.

That is, unless the poo poo is running under NT 4.0.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mad Monk posted:

Anyone remember when HP actually made a half way decent computer

No.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Data Graham posted:

So what you're saying is that they got you doubly covered.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Fasdar posted:

Let me tell you about this cult called ISIS...

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Data Graham posted:

Oracle is killing the Java plug ins

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Police Automaton posted:

UFO nuts are still around, they just seem to have merged extraterrestrials with demons and Nephelim, because for some reason every batshit conspiracy has to be true at the same time.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Germstore posted:

I'd like to think this smilie is a tribute to websites that use Flash:

:dogbutton:

You know, why just show me the content when you can have a Flash applet that makes me click a button that makes something slide out and then rotate and then do something else and then slowly show the content in a way that prevents me copying and pasting things.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I remember my dad bringing home a Toshiba laptop that looked like this from his work, and I sometimes used it when I went to his work. It had a :siren: plasma :siren: display a long time before plasma displays were something everyone wanted in their house.

I remember playing Castle Adventure on it.

I don't know how it got on there though and I didn't even remember its name, I had to go through all PC games on Moby Games starting from the beginning to find it. Some other memorable names came up when I was doing that: Lunar Landing, 3-Demon.

Speaking of lunar landing, did anyone else enjoy playing Astro Chicken in Space Quest III over and over? I saved game there and just kept going back over and over.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

slomomofo posted:

Let me tell you about this cult called ISIS...

Fair point.

Although with ISIS recruitment, the spiritual/religious elements seem to be largely window dressing for getting the chance to murder, rape, and pillage.

Thread Content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLfNNBh8zGs

This shipped with Packard Bells for a good chunk of the nineties, and I still find myself wishing I'd kept the cd.

Edit: Holy poo poo the sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apw2weHUzuY

Fasdar has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Feb 13, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People have brought up that movie maker. I spend a lot of time with the demo of that. I also spend some time with Virgil Reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aynclw6TXeE

There was also another thing. It was a Nickelodeon game where you could make animations and pictures or something. I can't find anything on it though.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I visited my parents house for the first time in ages and I found this book that I got from my primary school's library for 10c about 20 years ago. It's from the 80s and it's actually a pretty comprehensive overview of computers back then.

It's three sections, one which is an overview, one on how to write programs in BASIC and the last which is a bunch of games to try out. I learnt a lot about programming from this book. While BASIC is obviously obsolete these days, a lot of the material on good programming practices and debugging are probably still useful today

The games section has some pretty dope artwork

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Fasdar posted:

Fair point.

Although with ISIS recruitment, the spiritual/religious elements seem to be largely window dressing for getting the chance to murder, rape, and pillage.

Thread Content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLfNNBh8zGs

This shipped with Packard Bells for a good chunk of the nineties, and I still find myself wishing I'd kept the cd.

Edit: Holy poo poo the sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apw2weHUzuY

Holy Christ, thank you for this. I didn't remember this game AT ALL, until I played that YouTube clip. Then it all came crashing back to me, all the hours I spent just racing around. And the graphics at the time were UNBELIEVABLE OMG!!!

So thanks for triggering a memory I didn't even know I had. But I definitely remember that guy and his ridiculous hair.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Good news is they are all playable from gog.com

http://www.gog.com/game/megarace_1_2

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

archive.org has put up another collection of old programs that run inside your browser -- this time it's all your favorite Windows 3.1 apps!

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_win3_showcase&tab=collection

I went straight for WinRisk. Oh, the memories...

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear ruled.

I played so much rogue spear, seriously, for years. Then raven shield, then back to RS, it was amazing.

And for all I played, I forgot so much of it. Like Met, or sib1, or this clusterfuck chokepoint on desal ( I completely forgot about desal WTF):

stangman has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Feb 13, 2016

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Since this is about internet relics as well,

LET'S GO BUY SOME LUNIX!
http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/jeff-ks-user/

This one always cracked me the hell up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I visited my parents house for the first time in ages and I found this book that I got from my primary school's library for 10c about 20 years ago. It's from the 80s and it's actually a pretty comprehensive overview of computers back then.

It's three sections, one which is an overview, one on how to write programs in BASIC and the last which is a bunch of games to try out. I learnt a lot about programming from this book. While BASIC is obviously obsolete these days, a lot of the material on good programming practices and debugging are probably still useful today

The games section has some pretty dope artwork

I read an article literally a few days ago that said those books are now available online free.

Also there's (unfortunately) Visual Basic :) I guess not everything is totally different, just most of it!