Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I'd like to see their reactionTM to how you get a Lambo into neutral or reverse (my experience with the Gallardo was frustrating).

Yeah, but is that better or worse than the Countach Maneuver (hang your rear end out the door while you back up)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Couldn't we simplify it to a lever with three states - middle for park, forward for go and backwards for reverse? I doubt most people care/need 1 or 2 or Lo or whatever. You could make the gear handle a tiny car to visually represent it, push the car forward and it goes forward. Pull it to the middle to stop and park it. Pull it back to reverse. Seems easy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Forward = go, backwards = reverse is opposite of what most people are used to and would be super confusing!

Hell, I still get confused by forward = shift up in my folks' Subaru's "manual mode". That's not what video games taught me!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Uthor posted:

Forward = go, backwards = reverse is opposite of what most people are used to and would be super confusing!

Hell, I still get confused by forward = shift up in my folks' Subaru's "manual mode". That's not what video games taught me!

Having to move the lever three times to go from drive to reverse makes parallel parking a joy!

My Ford has 1st gear and Reverse in the same position on the tree, except to shift into reverse you push down on the shifter as you shift. It's pretty damned easy to shift into 1st when you want reverse and vice versa, and it's loving stupid. Stick reverse on the other side of the tree like it's sane to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft if you have to shift more than twice to parallel park, the failure isn't the transmission.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Uthor posted:

Oh yeah I know, it's just that it never made sense to me like that. Want to go forwards? Move it back. Want back? Move forward. Odd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Muscle memory is a bitch and the current gen of people buying new cars spent 20 years throwing the gear selector all the way forward when they parked, pulling it one notch down from park to reverse and three notches down to drive.

If you are going to change that control scheme, it needs to be completely different so muscle memory can't kick in, not just switch up the level/function locations.

PRNDL is ingrained now, it's irresponsible to do a single lever config and switch up the order at this point.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xzzy posted:

Pfft if you have to shift more than twice to parallel park, the failure isn't the transmission.

Agreed, but with this one that means you need to move the shift lever six times, that's loving retarded.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Bring back steering column gear selectors. :colbert:

And get rid of center consoles, I hate feeling like I'm stuck in a cocoon.

Again, Tesla shows the way.

Out of focus is the gear indicator on the dash monitor. There is also some idiotproofing in the form of no weight on seat = park.

Not a cocoon, but not exactly a 50s style flat floor and front bench either. You need somewhere to put your phone and your latte. The elbow rest works really well (unless your latte is there) and I suppose something something rear heater plumbing.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Phanatic posted:

Stick reverse on the other side of the tree like it's sane to do.

Well, you see, putting R next to 6 and not having any kind of speed-sensitive lockout can sometimes result in what we in the business like to call a 'money shift'.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Phanatic posted:

My Ford has 1st gear and Reverse in the same position on the tree, except to shift into reverse you push down on the shifter as you shift. It's pretty damned easy to shift into 1st when you want reverse and vice versa, and it's loving stupid. Stick reverse on the other side of the tree like it's sane to do.

Just get a car with a dog-leg gearbox and all your problems will be solved.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've always used "money shift" to mean going 2->1 or 4->3 at redline. Trying to use reverse when you meant 6 (or 5) will just be met with an angry grind at worst if there's no speed lockout. There's no way you'll be able to force it into reverse at those speeds, even if you gorilla it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ola posted:

Again, Tesla shows the way.

BMW and Mercedes have had this for a long time.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Uthor posted:

Just get a car with a dog-leg gearbox and all your problems will be solved.

gently caress the 914 so hard for that gearbox aaaaallll the way at the back and that ludicrous linkage. It's like it was designed to be sloppy. So many unintentional 1-4 skipshifts :ughh:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

God, a friend and I sat in a Prius zipcar for ten minutes trying to figure out the konami code that made it simultaneously on, parking brake disengaged, and in reverse. There's so much hidden state, you need a preflight checklist.

1. Push the on button
2. Put the shifter in R

This is way harder than most automatic cars where you have to

1. Start the car
2. Put the shifter in R

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bajaha posted:

I've always used "money shift" to mean going 2->1 or 4->3 at redline. Trying to use reverse when you meant 6 (or 5) will just be met with an angry grind at worst if there's no speed lockout. There's no way you'll be able to force it into reverse at those speeds, even if you gorilla it.

My old Cavalier had R below 5, but it also had two safety features that prevented 5->R shifts: you had to pull a lever on the shifter to get it into reverse and there was a gate or something inside that guided the shifter from fifth to neutral before allowing you to go to the right again to hit reverse. You couldn't pull straight back from 5 into R. It's not fool proof, but you had to purposefully try in order to gently caress it up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless the ECU is hung over from last night and the startup sequence fails, completely disabling the drivetrain. You do get a message on the dashboard telling you poo poo went south and the 'ready' light never illuminates, but the only way to recover is to shut the vehicle off and try again.

It seems to happen most often if you try to put the vehicle in gear before it's fully started up.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

Triple redundancy, well done :golfclap:

Works for the warthog :911:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

sandoz posted:

1. Push the on button
2. Put the shifter in R

This is way harder than most automatic cars where you have to

1. Start the car
2. Put the shifter in R

The newer prii are easier. This was an earlier prius, where there the indication that the car is on is a "Welcome to Prius" display on the dash.

xzzy posted:

Unless the ECU is hung over from last night and the startup sequence fails, completely disabling the drivetrain. You do get a message on the dashboard telling you poo poo went south and the 'ready' light never illuminates, but the only way to recover is to shut the vehicle off and try again.

It seems to happen most often if you try to put the vehicle in gear before it's fully started up.

This is probably what we did.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Bajaha posted:

Owning a mix of 6 and 5 speed cars taught me this.

Thanks Ford.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

D and R are back to front. It's too confusing!

Actually on the ride to work, I noticed I had it backwards, and it actually is
code:
 R
 |
N+--o
 |  |
 D  B
Which, while I 'get' due to the PRND order, the way I miswrote it originally makes more sense, as you don't have to go through that sequence, and then Drive would be pushing Forward, and Reverse would be pushing Backwards, as it's the opposite now and I still have to think about it occasionally.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The Prius C is a little unusual compared to other Toyota and Lexus hybrids. It has a conventional automatic transmission shifter. It works the same exact way complete with brake pedal interlock.

The lower models of the C also have a normal ignition key - works just like in a normal car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

0toShifty posted:

The Prius C is a little unusual compared to other Toyota and Lexus hybrids. It has a conventional automatic transmission shifter. It works the same exact way complete with brake pedal interlock.

The lower models of the C also have a normal ignition key - works just like in a normal car.

Downside: worst climate controls and cup holders I've ever experienced in a car.

Also the dials on the radio are small, and tapered. gently caress you Toyota, before you start selling a car, try to operate it with a pair of gloves on. Not everyone lives in LA.

And the radio slot looks 2 din at first glance, until you squint at it and realize one of the edges is actually curved. :downs:

edit - oh yeah and they stuck the button to change the fuel mapping to eco between the seats for some idiotic reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

the one true best 6 gear layout:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Everything needs this shift knob

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

I agree, driving economically with the price of oil this low is criminal.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

chrisgt posted:

Make this with a BMW shift pattern and I would buy the hell out of it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

chrisgt posted:

Not accurate as many STI owners go to jail in 1st.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Powershift posted:

I talked about this after recently renting a grand cherokee.

It's hard to get it into reverse, you basically have to stare at the cluster when going from reverse to gear or whatever else and touch the lever just right to get it into the right gear. The shifter actually has 2 notches each direction, and just pushing the lever all the way forward through both notches will usually get it into park, but the notches are very light. I could easily somebody who just slams it forward and back all the time at some point only engaging the first notch and assuming it's in park only for it to be in neutral or reverse.

I test drove one recently and that was my feeling as well. It would probably be a lot better if it wasn't so easy to flip by the notches. Or just do the merc/bmw/tesla column shifter thing. Or do whats in the current charger and just have a normal shifter, which is apparently how the 16's are according to the dealer I was at yesterday.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is prison supposed to be like super jail?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Data Graham posted:

Misdemeanor ==> go to jail
Felony ==> go to prison

Prison is basically super jail, yes. It's gaol vs. penitentiary. :911:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

sofullofhate posted:

Misdemeanor ==> go to jail
Felony ==> go to prison

Prison is basically super jail, yes. It's gaol vs. penitentiary. :911:

Also, jail is where you're held to await trial if you can't make bail.
Prison is only for people who have been convicted of (felony) crimes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

netwerk23 posted:

Couldn't we simplify it to a lever with three states - middle for park, forward for go and backwards for reverse? I doubt most people care/need 1 or 2 or Lo or whatever. You could make the gear handle a tiny car to visually represent it, push the car forward and it goes forward. Pull it to the middle to stop and park it. Pull it back to reverse. Seems easy.

Neutral is a legal requirement. Low is rarely necessary, but when it is you really want to have it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

H110Hawk posted:

BMW and Mercedes have had this for a long time.

Tesla actually used the Mercedes part in earlier cars to save money;

I too don't understand why the Prius (and hell, any modern slushtronic really, at least outside of sport-oriented vehicles) doesn't use this.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
What if you're driving at 70mph and reach for your blinkers/wipers and put the car in reverse?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

What if you're driving at 70mph and reach for your blinkers/wipers and put the car in reverse?

If only it were electronic and you could program it not to shift into R while moving forward.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

That would be useful, hopefully it will have some kind of feature like that.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Neutral is a legal requirement. Low is rarely necessary, but when it is you really want to have it.

Low is a legal requirement too. You don't need a low position on the shifter, but you need some way to manually select a lower gear.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Data Graham posted:

For a minute I was confused why you were talking about an ultra violent surreal cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kCe7T7vJYA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

e: nope.