Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

OK whoever said Eye of Ugin was the more broken land in the Eldrazi deck was right. Sigh.... I guess Tron is gonna get the splash ban.

Mod, I think someone hijacked mcmagic's account. He's doing poo poo out of character, like admitting he's wrong.

That or he had a stroke. Do you smell burnt toast, buddy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's gotta be a player somewhere who's gone from playing birthing pod to splinter twin to tron and hasn't made the decision to quit yet. :allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

How much play did Madness see when it was last around? Did people build decks around it?

I've started to wonder if they would reprint LotV in Eldritch Moon. It's a bit daft but I noticed she's in the same outfit she wore for the card in the promo art for the set. She'd be nuts with Madness. Don't know how I'd feel about it, it would devalue my playset, but I'd have a playset of the best card in standard day one.

I think UG Madness was the best deck. They're not gonna repeat that though because the whole deck was commons and uncommons and by gawd that doesn't sell packs.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

There's gotta be a player somewhere who's gone from playing birthing pod to splinter twin to tron and hasn't made the decision to quit yet. :allears:

I think I would jump out the window if that was me. At least amulet lives on with 2explore1Azusa.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chill la Chill posted:

After Pod got banned I cynically bought in to Affinity. I had the stuff to play Twin but I never seriously played it, because apparently wotc hates combo. I have the stuff for Infect and Bogles too but I don't like playing either deck and haven't run them much.

Meliraless Pod was such a fun deck :>

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hellsau posted:

To be honest Tron could afford to take a hit. Losing Eye maybe might let a control deck actually exist, except for all the other reasons why control decks don't exist.

Thats what I said. Losing the enevitability that Tron currently has will be a boost for blue based control strategies. Not sure its enough, but it sure is a move in the right direction. Also Sanctum of Ugin, while certainly not as good as Eye, is a potential replacement for Tron for that utility slot.

mcmagic posted:

OK whoever said Eye of Ugin was the more broken land in the Eldrazi deck was right. Sigh.... I guess Tron is gonna get the splash ban.

Which deck did you play the UR 3 drop deck with drowner or the colorless chalice deck?

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 12, 2016

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

After Pod got banned I cynically bought in to Affinity. I had the stuff to play Twin but I never seriously played it, because apparently wotc hates combo. I have the stuff for Infect and Bogles too but I don't like playing either deck and haven't run them much.

Meliraless Pod was such a fun deck :>

Don't be shocked next January if they continue to have Modern PT's if something from affinity gets the axe. Eye will get it in April for the SoI B&R update, then affinity gets hit in January.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

My affinity deck only cost me about $300 and I also don't really enjoy it so it wouldn't bother me if it got banned out.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the fact that Affinity is easily hated out and tends to lose to faster aggro/combo like Infect means that it's not likely to be banned. But then again, if Twin got banned there's really no predicting things

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

Thats what I said. Losing the enevitability that Tron currently has will be a boost for blue based control strategies. Not sure its enough, but it sure is a move in the right direction. Also Sanctum of Ugin, while certainly not as good as Eye, is a potential replacement for Tron for that utility slot.

Which deck did you play the UR 3 drop deck with drowner or the colorless chalice deck?

The UR deck. It's stupid.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I think UG Madness was the best deck. They're not gonna repeat that though because the whole deck was commons and uncommons and by gawd that doesn't sell packs.

UG Madness was never the best deck(although it won the block PT with the help of all-star Tarnished Citadel), but it was consistently tier 1 in INV/ODY standard. Less so in ODY/ONS standard iirc, but still a solid deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
wake was the best deck in ody/ons :colbert:

I mean, that or gobbo bidding.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

UG Madness was never the best deck(although it won the block PT with the help of all-star Tarnished Citadel), but it was consistently tier 1 in INV/ODY standard. Less so in ODY/ONS standard iirc, but still a solid deck.

What would that deck have even used out of INV block besides Yavimaya Coast? I remember it being pretty much all ODY block, or at least I don't remember a lot from INV that played with the diacard/graveyard stuff from ODY.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Zoness posted:

Landstill with Nantuko Monastery. :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why do CFB and SCG BOTH have Eldrazi vs Twin videos on both their websites? Who gives a poo poo? How is that in any way helpful for me going forward in the format?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm sure they could figure out a way to make the best build of madness require 12+ rare dual lands even if the nonland staples are still uncommons :iamafag:

comedy option: circular logic reprint at rare, allegedly for limited reasons

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Idea: instead of emergency banning the Eldrazi deck, emergency unban everything except the artifact lands, skullclamp, jitte, and top.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 12, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Why do CFB and SCG BOTH have Eldrazi vs Twin videos on both their websites? Who gives a poo poo? How is that in any way helpful for me going forward in the format?

Because Pros loved Twin, and people are masturbating to the idea that Twin would have stopped the Eldrazi deck. Even though they are doing it against the tuned for aggro all in colorless version and not the Red/Blue version that seems to be stronger against a wider variety of decks.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ThePeavstenator posted:

Idea: instead of emergency banning the Eldrazi deck, emergency unban everything except the artifact lands, skullclamp, jitte, and top.

Never unban Hypergenesis.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah, CFB and SCG did those videos because people are masturbating to Twin. Excellent analysis.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

Judging by the # of comments, lots of people. It's a free magic content website that sometimes posts fun casual content that people enjoy because fun things are fun and they're not beholden to only posting 100% serious professional-level content that helps mcmagic going forward in the format.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

Because if new busted deck beats old busted deck consistently it helps to better predict and incoming ban. The past weekend at the PT could have just been a fluke because no one was really prepared for the eldrazi menace, but if eldrazi beats twin consistently, and twin was banned that lets us draw conclusions.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Like Magic itself, I imagine there's a much larger casual audience of SCG and CFB than you realize. I don't play modern, barely get a half-dozen drafts in of any given format, but I'll watch some videos while I'm rocking my kid to sleep or whatever.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
For obvious reasons: because obnoxious nerds won't shut the gently caress up that Twin would have saved the Pro Tour

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

UG Madness was really really good and was such a huge portion of the field that at one point there was an Elves deck that had really lovely matchups against everything else but completely wrecked madness because there was nothing they could do about an active Wellwisher

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

For obvious reasons: because obnoxious nerds won't shut the gently caress up that Twin would have saved the Pro Tour

It's the, "But how would Rhonda Rousey do vs. a dude?" of Magic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

That's why they made those Amulet Bloom videos too.

Do you people really believe this

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

I haven't heard a good argument for not banning Eye other than people who play Tron, and I don't think it's a compelling argument.

Like I said earlier, you can tell who plays Tron by which land they think will/should be banned. Mcmagic is the first Tron player I've seen admit that Eye is the correct ban.

mcmagic posted:

Because everyone is crying for WotC to free our savior, Splinter Twin, to save us from the Eldrazi menace.

Why did Caleb Durward do the legacy and modern banned series? Because it's cool and interesting.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

The thing with Goblin Bidding is it wasn't really a good deck until Warchief and Siege Gang were printed in scourge and back then all the major standard tournaments were played before the third set in a block came out for some retarded reason so bidding was never really visible outside of like FNM until mirrodin

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

What would that deck have even used out of INV block besides Yavimaya Coast? I remember it being pretty much all ODY block, or at least I don't remember a lot from INV that played with the diacard/graveyard stuff from ODY.

As I remember it, it was more that Invasion was hugely overshadowed by Odyssey Block, to the point that full INV/ODY standard was basically Odyssey block strategies/synergies with cards from 7th and Invasion block mixed in if they happened to fit. IIRC, the tier 1 was:
MBC, with Cabal Coffers powering out Mind Sludge and Skeletal Scrying against control and Innocent Blood, Chainer's Edict, and Mutilate holding the ground against creature decks.
RG Beatdown("Frog in a Blender"), an extremely fast beatdown deck which could have easily been called RG Madness, although it at least ran Yavimaya Barbarian main(it needed more 2 drops, you see, and Psychatog blocks Yavimaya Barbarian very poorly) and FTK either main or board.
UG Madness, a slower Wild Mongrel deck that ran more flashback cards and counterspells and so forth, and yes, literally zero maindeck cards not from Odyssey block except for Coasts.
Tog(the actual best deck), built around the infamous Tog/Upheaval synergy. This one actually had cards from outside Odyssey block, with Counterspell, Nightscape Familiar, Repulse, and Fact or Fiction all being very important. The core strategy(and a lot of the cards) remained based in Odyssey block, though.
Edit for Zoness: There was Squirrel Opposition, a deck which actually had a key piece not from Odyssey block(Opposition). Most of the cards were still The Odyssey-block All-Stars though.

It was an era(Ody-Mirr as a whole), where the block decks were so powerful that you could take the best 2 decks in block, add in a standard roleplayer or two, and you had tier 1 decks. By Mirrodin people were bitching that Wizards was building the decks for us.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 12, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

The thing with Goblin Bidding is it wasn't really a good deck until Warchief and Siege Gang were printed in scourge and back then all the major standard tournaments were played before the third set in a block came out for some retarded reason so bidding was never really visible outside of like FNM until mirrodin

Yeah I was going off of worlds 2003 which was after scourge was released and had 4 wake, 1 gobbos, 1 slide, 1 reanimator, and 1 u/g madness in the top 8.

Elyv posted:

As I remember it, it was more that Invasion was hugely overshadowed by Odyssey Block, to the point that full INV/ODY standard was basically Odyssey block strategies/synergies with cards from 7th and Invasion block mixed in if they happened to fit. IIRC, the tier 1 was:
MBC, with Cabal Coffers powering out Mind Sludge and Skeletal Scrying against control and Innocent Blood, Chainer's Edict, and Mutilate holding the ground against creature decks.
RG Beatdown("Frog in a Blender"), an extremely fast beatdown deck which could have easily been called RG Madness, although it at least ran Yavimaya Barbarian main(it needed more 2 drops, you see, and Psychatog blocks Yavimaya Barbarian very poorly) and FTK either main or board.
UG Madness, a slower Wild Mongrel deck that ran more flashback cards and counterspells and so forth, and yes, literally zero maindeck cards not from Odyssey block except for Coasts.
Tog(the actual best deck), built around the infamous Tog/Upheaval synergy. This one actually had cards from outside Odyssey block, with Force Spike, Counterspell, and Fact or Fiction all being very important. The core strategy(and a lot of the cards) remained based in Odyssey block, though.

It was an era(Ody-Mirr as a whole), where the block decks were so powerful that you could take the best 2 decks in block, add in a standard roleplayer or two, and you had tier 1 decks. By Mirrodin people were bitching that Wizards was building the decks for us.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/worlds02/t8decks

way to forget the actual coolest deck of 2002 in squirrel opposition

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 12, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think Eldrazi would be a broken deck with either of the lands banned. It would just lose its consistency.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Why did Caleb Durward do the legacy and modern banned series? Because it's cool and interesting.

If Randy's voice doesn't stab your ear like a knife, the Modern No-Banned list series he did is a lot of fun as well.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

Yeah I was going off of worlds 2003 which was after scourge was released and had 4 wake, 1 gobbos, 1 slide, 1 reanimator, and 1 u/g madness in the top 8.

Oh yeah I forgot about Worlds, but the tournaments that normal scrubs like me could aspire to play in were all before

There wasn't even a standard pro tour back then lmao

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

If Randy's voice doesn't stab your ear like a knife, the Modern No-Banned list series he did is a lot of fun as well.

I hate randy's voice most of the time but I really like when he overreacts to clutch top decks.

It's LIGHTNING HELIX

vvv Lightning Axe owns but now it's uncommon and there's no Strangling Soot or Big Game Hunter or Gorgon Recluse to discard :smith:. Hoping for some sweet madness cards to take their place.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 12, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Who else is hype for Lightning Axe in limited again?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

The UR deck. It's stupid.

Yup, all you have to do is blap out 2 or 3 dudes in a turn to realize how dumb it is. Temple is honestly not horribly unfair, I think that they ideally leave it, ditch SSG and Eye and eldrazi decks in some form will be a real thing in modern.

mcmagic posted:

There was a lot of social media chatter about "yeah shouldn't have banned twin blah blah eldrazi mistake WOTC sucks" Making twin v. eldrazi videos gets eyeballs on the sites. Lot of people were curious/believe that twin would have checked the threat (it doesn't, not very well)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
UG Madness was the first deck I could play from just the packs I opened and it didn't matter if I had 4 Roar of the Wurm instead of Arrogant Wurm and liked playing 1 Genesis and a couple other pieces of jank and hated Aquamoeba. It just worked. Was an incredibly resilient core of cards.

e: That is to say, this was for much more casual mtg than tournaments.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I appreciate the fact that Teroh's Faithful was a standard playable card more than anything tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I appreciate the fact that Teroh's Faithful was a standard playable card more than anything tbqh

Same but for Simoon and Undead Gladiator, the latter whose removal from the modo cube is a huge travesty.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 12, 2016

• Locked thread