Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Oliver, next time all your friends give you the go ahead to kill someone who has so many reasons to be wiped off the face of the earth, you loving do it. Or hell, get Barry to do i-- wait, he's somewhere inaccessible at the moment.

Also no way is Damien going to use his son as leverage, especially since he just saved his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TyrantWD posted:

Someone on of the 4chan threads posted some clips of the Season 1 fights, and it's amazing just how poor the action scenes have become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8vO9yYfjE

Why can't we go back to that Arrow? This Felicity & friends show we have now with fight scenes that consist of people pairing up and twirling around without making contact is really dull. Oliver is never going to get to go on adventures to other Earths, or save the timeline from being wiped from existence, so let's get back to the sociopathic vigilante who was dropping bodies all over town - at least that was fun. With Flash and LoT being light-hearted and goofy, it's fine for Arrow to be dark and brutal.

Haha did anybody catch this familiar location 30 seconds in? It's some bankers office or something here:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ApeHawk posted:

Oliver, next time all your friends give you the go ahead to kill someone who has so many reasons to be wiped off the face of the earth, you loving do it. Or hell, get Barry to do i-- wait, he's somewhere inaccessible at the moment.

Also no way is Damien going to use his son as leverage, especially since he just saved his family.

Even Felicity nodded.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I really hope this thing with Ollie's son isn't what causes Felicity to sever. All Ollie has to do is "I'm sorry but she wouldn't let me see him if I told someone :smith:" and if Felicity's response to that isn't "Holy poo poo I didn't realize that, I kind of understand now" and is instead another histrionic quiver-voice yell then she will lose all the good will she's developed over this season. And I don't want that to happen.

Aphrodite posted:

Even Felicity nodded.

"Felicity nodded as she drew her assault rifle"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Did anybody go Fffffuuuuuuck at the end when Felicity says "Nobody changes," to Oliver and Oliver says they do but we were reminded he has a son he hasn't told Felicity about.

That's gonna end well

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ApeHawk posted:

Oliver, next time all your friends give you the go ahead to kill someone who has so many reasons to be wiped off the face of the earth, you loving do it.

Actually it's cool and good that they haven't dropped the whole culmination of Oliver's season 2 arc where he learned that attempting to kill someone instead of attempting to save them nearly cost him his entire city 5 years later

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I do like how they made it completely clear how much better Oliver is than Malcom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Haha did anybody catch this familiar location 30 seconds in? It's some bankers office or something here:

Hey man, those sets take time to build, you gotta get as much mileage out of them as you can.

$10 says the Arrowcave gets reused as something else within the next year.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

TyrantWD posted:

Someone on of the 4chan threads posted some clips of the Season 1 fights, and it's amazing just how poor the action scenes have become.

To be fair, this season has had some great fights. This was the first episode this season where the dance-fighting and obviously shot in a warehouse city street really took me out of the scene.

I'm usually a fan of the whole "suddenly ninjas!" thing this show does, but combined with the "ancient oriental medicine" cliche and seemingly blowing this episode's budget on enough stunt men to do ninja wars left me pretty cold during the action this week.

I enjoyed the whole concept of Ollie playing politics with the different assassin groups, though. I think we're really seeing this season that he's not just a vigilante anymore, he's becoming more of a regional warlord. The team tends to do more street level fighting with the bad guys while he argues and fights and makes deals with the bad guy boss, kinda like squabbling over feudal territory.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whoever is in charge of equipment rentals for Arrow needs to throw their loving camera crane in the ocean. Or at least ban production from renting one anymore. Those wide angle top-down shots where everybody is just twirling ineffectually in a circle is what's killing all the fight scenes. Those shots have absolutely zero weight, reveals everybody is actually moving at a snail's pace, and gives away exactly how far away everybody's pulled punches are.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That scene between Malcolm and Dhahrhkh at the end was the only thing dragging this episode above mediocre. The more screentime those two have together, the better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

drat Malcolm, you dick.

They now have something in common

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite fight scene was the climactic Oliver and Rhas fight on the dam. And by favorite I mean "let's shoot this in the dark, have them wear identical clothing, and have Oliver win for no loving reason at all."

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

Mortanis posted:

Having your super bad rear end elite ninjas that drop with a single punch really defeats any gravitas the League might have.

Yes, at some point they transformed from "best fighters in the world" to a mix between these two ninja clans:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, at least the League is over now.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
Didn't Slade Wilson use almost the exact same line as Merlin about death being too good for Oliver?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

Pfft, now you'll have the Premiere League of Assassins, the League of Latter Day Assassins, the Federation of Assassins each run by whichever local lieutenant latched onto the power all gunning for Nyssa to prove they are the true heir to the League. Nyssa "I've never asked anyone to fight my battles for me" Al Ghul will then take Ollie's guest bedroom hostage until he deals with them all.

Also eagerly awaiting Nyssa attacking Oliver and Felicity's wedding cause he's already her husband.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

"Does anyone obje-"

Nyssa zipline arrows in.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

libertao posted:

Didn't Slade Wilson use almost the exact same line as Merlin about death being too good for Oliver?

Oliver has that effect on people.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ok most of that stuff was just ok, but when Oliver cut Malcolm's hand off to take the ring :captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Batman movie..place your bets. Deathstroke... The league... Jason.... Damian

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rocksicles posted:

Batman movie..place your bets. Deathstroke... The league... Jason.... Damian

Yeah, gotta say it did occur to me, taking the League off the table kinda felt like when they took the Suicide Squad stuff off the table earlier.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe they can do a pseudo birds of prey.. with Nyssa, Felicity and someone else (something else)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, gotta say it did occur to me, taking the League off the table kinda felt like when they took the Suicide Squad stuff off the table earlier.

DC's movie schedule is all filled up through like 2019 though. There's no place for the solo-Batman film.

My guess is that the writers wanted to pose a challenge that couldn't be solved with "let's contact Malcolm/Nyssa and their army of ninjas for help, in exchange for something that will haunt Team Arrow later".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's possible this was written and began filming before they decided to relax things. Same with killing off Waller.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

TyrantWD posted:

Why can't we go back to that Arrow? This Felicity & friends show we have now with fight scenes that consist of people pairing up and twirling around without making contact is really dull. Oliver is never going to get to go on adventures to other Earths, or save the timeline from being wiped from existence, so let's get back to the sociopathic vigilante who was dropping bodies all over town - at least that was fun. With Flash and LoT being light-hearted and goofy, it's fine for Arrow to be dark and brutal.

I think the problem with the fight scenes lately is that all of them take place in empty rooms. Like the rooftop fight, the fights in warehouses, etc. What's great about this fight scene is that there's other stuff in the room and the fight actually has gravity and weight when they crash into the vase or the table or the ground. The newer fights have none of this so they just seem so plain. The Anarky fight had a little bit of this with the bookcase but it can be so much better. And I have to imagine its due to the extremely low budget that they can't just waste money on a vase to crash into because it has to go somewhere else.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Azhais posted:

Pfft, now you'll have the Premiere League of Assassins, the League of Latter Day Assassins, the Federation of Assassins each run by whichever local lieutenant latched onto the power all gunning for Nyssa to prove they are the true heir to the League. Nyssa "I've never asked anyone to fight my battles for me" Al Ghul will then take Ollie's guest bedroom hostage until he deals with them all.

Also eagerly awaiting Nyssa attacking Oliver and Felicity's wedding cause he's already her husband.

I don't think Nyssa likes guys though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Yeah, the fight scenes we have now are pretty lame. Too much dancing and twirling, and underneath the thin veil of lovely choreography, you can totally tell that it's fake. (Of course all fight scenes are fake, but it's entirely too obvious in Arrow.)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol maybe the reason Felicity isn't wearing the ring in the limo is not because of Ollie's son but because he's still married to Nyssa.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rhyno posted:

It's possible this was written and began filming before they decided to relax things. Same with killing off Waller.

When did they kill Walter?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Whizbang posted:

When did they kill Walter?

When she got shot in the head.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bad Moon posted:

Lol maybe the reason Felicity isn't wearing the ring in the limo is not because of Ollie's son but because he's still married to Nyssa.

Watch it just be a continuity error after we've been all trying to piece it together.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, the fight scenes we have now are pretty lame. Too much dancing and twirling, and underneath the thin veil of lovely choreography, you can totally tell that it's fake. (Of course all fight scenes are fake, but it's entirely too obvious in Arrow.)

I think it's cause they have too many heroes on the team. All the great fight scenes this season have just been with one or two heroes (Like Speedy in the elevator or Ollie/Diggle at the docks).

Legends of Tomorrow suffers from the same problem where you need to show off everyone do one or two moves in a big fight and it ends up looking like a Power Rangers remake.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Chokes McGee posted:

all the good will she's developed over this season.

What good will.

Rocksicles posted:

Maybe they can do a pseudo birds of prey.. with Nyssa, Felicity and someone else (something else)

You'll never know how much joy I got out of you suggesting a Birds of Prey type thing and neglecting Laurel. You know, the bird.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

computer parts posted:

There's no place for the solo-Batman film.

What.

I thought it was verified and common knowledge that part of the reason Affleck signed on to be Batman was so he could direct the next solo-Batman film?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

I think it's cause they have too many heroes on the team. All the great fight scenes this season have just been with one or two heroes (Like Speedy in the elevator or Ollie/Diggle at the docks).

Legends of Tomorrow suffers from the same problem where you need to show off everyone do one or two moves in a big fight and it ends up looking like a Power Rangers remake.

Nah. Speedy's elevator fight was very good, but still wasn't anywhere as good as Ollie's fight in the clip linked earlier. She has also had some silly one-on-ones, like when fighting Anarchy. Lots of spinning there too.

The S1E1 fight has a very distinct Bourne Ultimatom tone in terms of ruthlessness, which is what made it great.

Legends of Tomorrow is not a good comparison because most people there have high-tech weapons or superpowers. However, Caity Lotz's fight scenes are awesome, and are far superior when compared to anything in Arrow.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kegslayer posted:

Fights on power rangers actually look good. They should no joke try to get someone like Koichi Sakomoto.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Longbaugh01 posted:

What.

I thought it was verified and common knowledge that part of the reason Affleck signed on to be Batman was so he could direct the next solo-Batman film?

It is... it's not slated because he's got like 4 movies to do as Batman already... But the rumour is it's be Under the Red Hood, esq.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Goddamn Jason Todd you should still be dead :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As an aside, the animated version of under the Hood is way better than the original comic.

Finally watched this week's episode. Thank god we've knocked out the League. Sad how much they nerfed and depowered the league assassins over the past two seasons. They went from one assassin being able to nearly fight Oliver to a standstill, to random mooks that fight worse than street thugs.

I think it might actually be worse than Buffy's supervampires in season seven.

• Locked thread