Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

error1 posted:

someone is selling a working Macintosh SE close to me, someone please tell me why it sucks and I shouldn't get it

doesn't look like it sucks to me

the SE was a nice compact Mac, if you have any pre-1991 Mac games you want to play they should work just fine

(the Mac LC came out in late 1990, making color Macs affordable to the masses, so games' system requirements started to go up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Prenton posted:

Usbourne have scanned in a load of their 1980s books so you can learn how to old computer

drat

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

error1 posted:

someone is selling a working Macintosh SE close to me, someone please tell me why it sucks and I shouldn't get it

Because it's obsolete and you can use an emulator to get that "experience"

lmao at filling your house with obsolete computer garbage.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

a real non-trolling reason is that that appears to not be a SE FDHD (pronounced fudd-hudd) which means it will only accept 800k double-sided floppies

if you get one that takes HD floppies you can read/write them in a "modern" computer, and if you install the appropriate extension you can even read/write FAT16 disks

e: the usual indicator of that is that there will be a FDHD or SuperDrive stamp near the floppy drive. there's nothing that prevented a previous owner of that Mac from installing an upgraded drive, though.

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 12, 2016

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
yeah seriously unless you have another (old) mac dont get it its gonna be a pain to transfer files

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Got the dumb old Jaguar to (mostly) work again. :hellyeah:

audio doesn't work (yet) and I might need to resolder the cartridge connector since it has trouble getting past the game verification boot check.

edit: tables, sorry

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 12, 2016

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

A 900 square foot house for $549K, that is next to a strip mall. lmao

The advertised price is below market in order to get more interest, add another 100-150k for the sale price

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

error1 posted:

Ok,

error1 posted:

Macintosh

hth

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Is my n64 old computer?

I've noticed that the cartridge slot is a little loose, causing games to reboot sometimes if the cartridge is budged, and wonder if it's worth trying to repair

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

volkadav posted:

It's normal to still remember the on-campus number for the not-quite-publicized, still-in-testing fast modem bank over twenty years later
not exactly related, but my alma mater (UAlbany) has/had their own exchange 518-442-xxxx, and own zip code 12222

it was p cool

I got mail addressed to:
<name>
<quad name>
Albany, NY 12222

and the mail room found it and routed it to my mailbox. it was awesome

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Progressive JPEG posted:

Is my n64 old computer?
its old poop

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
a lot of good games but the actual n64 is a poop

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

a lot of good games but the actual n64 is a poop

the textures on the n64 were so laughably bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

minivanmegafun posted:

a real non-trolling reason is that that appears to not be a SE FDHD (pronounced fudd-hudd) which means it will only accept 800k double-sided floppies

if you get one that takes HD floppies you can read/write them in a "modern" computer, and if you install the appropriate extension you can even read/write FAT16 disks

e: the usual indicator of that is that there will be a FDHD or SuperDrive stamp near the floppy drive. there's nothing that prevented a previous owner of that Mac from installing an upgraded drive, though.

IMO
this is why the Amiga never succeeded

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

echinopsis posted:

IMO
commodore was run by fuckin apes* after tramiel left, there were many things that killed the amiga

*except for its british division

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 12, 2016

Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

IMO

PCs were still mostly using 5.25" floppies for the majority of the Amiga's productive life over here, and disk interoperability wasn't a consideration at all back then.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

error1 posted:

You should get it and immediately install The Grouch.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Citizen Tayne posted:

PCs were still mostly using 5.25" floppies for the majority of the Amiga's productive life over here, and disk interoperability wasn't a consideration at all back then.

idk man i mean my experince was that my pc mates would have 3.5s but they would never run coz hd vs dd

Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

idk man i mean my experince was that my pc mates would have 3.5s but they would never run coz hd vs dd

I guess the amiga was big in the third world long after it became obsolete here.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
reminder that a complete second-generation amiga was designed prototyped and canned in 1987

i don't think it's possible to overstate commodore's stupidity in the amiga period

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sham bam bamina! posted:

commodore was run by fuckin apes* after tramiel left, there were many things that killed the amiga

bil heard does an occasional podcast where he talks about what it was like working at commodore.

he's the guy who designed the c128 so he wasn't directly involved with the c64 or amiga, but the way he tells it i'm amazed commodore managed to release a single product, let alone say in business as long as they did

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

wasnt the team that worked on the amiga mostly comprised of people from atari that worked on the atari 8 bit?

same for the team that worked on the atari st but for the C64?

Apr 7, 2003

Olivil posted:

wasnt the team that worked on the amiga mostly comprised of people from atari that worked on the atari 8 bit?

same for the team that worked on the atari st but for the C64?

Jay Miner and friends left Atari to form Amiga on the west coast (Commodore was based near Philly), created the machine independently, and were bought out by Commodore and shitcanned.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

trilljester posted:

You should get it and immediately install The Grouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE7EWDKVM1Y yesss

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

http://wanistoo.free.fr/grouch/

Sorry I didn't go through the effort of editing it to be a mac pro

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

error1 posted:

Sorry I didn't go through the effort of editing it to be a mac pro

mods???

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

Because it's obsolete and you can use an emulator to get that "experience"

lmao at filling your house with obsolete computer garbage.

perhaps this is not the thread for you friend

Apr 7, 2003

Old computers sucked and were garbage, sorry. New ones are better in every way.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

lol commodore UK not being a total clown show

they sponsored a football club well after they didn't have the money to do so

and then they used sports betting instead of a real insurer to hedge the risk of payouts for their club winning

and they hired a bunch of chavs all over the UK to all place small bets in the same 10min window before a match to avoid changing the odds

that is not the behavior of a well managed company

(source: head of commodore UK, at the Amiga 30th thing a few months back, while wearing the jersey he got as an honorary team manager or some poo poo)

Apr 7, 2003

Commodore? More like Commode

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

THIS. IS. YOSPOS!!!! *kicks u into the recycle bin at atomicthumbs' work*

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

eschaton posted:

lol commodore UK not being a total clown show

they sponsored a football club well after they didn't have the money to do so

and then they used sports betting instead of a real insurer to hedge the risk of payouts for their club winning

and they hired a bunch of chavs all over the UK to all place small bets in the same 10min window before a match to avoid changing the odds

that is not the behavior of a well managed company

(source: head of commodore UK, at the Amiga 30th thing a few months back, while wearing the jersey he got as an honorary team manager or some poo poo)
lmbo i fuckin take that back

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

eschaton posted:

perhaps this is not the thread for you friend

Apr 7, 2003

This thread is the computer version of 22 year old dudes with Don Draper haircuts talking about how much better the fifties were.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

error1 posted:

what's the grey square above the keyboard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

This thread is the computer version of 22 year old dudes with Don Draper haircuts talking about how much better the fifties were.

remembering how much poo poo sucked is like 90% of the point of having memories

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what's the grey square above the keyboard

programmers switch

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

programmers switch

no that's a reset button.

the SE didn't support that button there anyhow iirc, the classic macs all had a button on the side with a reset button and programmer's switch instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
power button

programmers switch is a piece of plastic you clip on the side if you want one, it presses a microswitch inside the case through the air vent to generate an interrupt

• Locked thread