Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Usbourne have scanned in a load of their 1980s books so you can learn how to old computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

more kids books should have assembly language listings

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
http://www.atariarchives.org/ has a bunch of books on the ol' atari and 6502 programming, also you can get scans of all the ANTIC magazines here: http://www.atarimagazines.com/antic/

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Prenton posted:

Usbourne have scanned in a load of their 1980s books so you can learn how to old computer

nice! I spent so much time typing programs from these into my Pre-Computer 1000's little 1x20 display

e: seriously thanks for this, I just amazon'd Practical Things to Do With A Microcomputer after looking at the PDF and realizing it was the book I had read a hundred times.

my partner has been trying to figure out how to actually introduce kids to computers, I figured I'd show him what I got started on. definitely time to dig out the TI-99/4A and he can get frustrated by weird BASIC dialect incompatibilities like we all did when we were kids

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 8, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

treasure bear posted:

when a computers left on it gets hot so old computers that have never been off are really hot and old computers that have not been on for a long time are really cold, just something to be aware of for safety

this is true, i had to put a heater in my storage unit where i've moved all my old computers to. otherwise it's very slippery and hard to move inside it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

When I moved all my stuff I misplaced the ziploc baggie that had the ten thousand various screws, standoffs, nuts, and bolts I need to reassemble my amiga 2500

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The voltage regulator in my Jaguar literally popped, LOL

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 9, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Doc Block posted:

The voltage regulator in my Jaguar literally popped, LOL

saving you from yourself

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
It's normal to still remember the on-campus number for the not-quite-publicized, still-in-testing fast modem bank over twenty years later, right? :corsair:

(They were 28.8s when the regular modem pool had a mix of 14.4s and 9600s.)

In other news, holy optimism batman. I pity the poor bastard that needs to pay that kind of cash for that kind of ancient crap because of some bullshit they have to keep running on their network. The last time I saw one of those in person it was in the $5 bargain bin at a used computer parts warehouse, and that was over a decade ago.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

volkadav posted:

In other news, holy optimism batman. I pity the poor bastard that needs to pay that kind of cash for that kind of ancient crap because of some bullshit they have to keep running on their network. The last time I saw one of those in person it was in the $5 bargain bin at a used computer parts warehouse, and that was over a decade ago.

that shits not even surprising for ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPl...gUAAOSw8-tWU5If

thats not even out of the ordinary, theres all sorts of "vintage gaming computer" with a pentium 2 that people are trying to sell for like 300 dollars or more

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I need to see if my dad still has my old pentium III board

I think I'll need to get another rage 128 for it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

volkadav posted:

It's normal to still remember the on-campus number for the not-quite-publicized, still-in-testing fast modem bank over twenty years later, right? :corsair:

(They were 28.8s when the regular modem pool had a mix of 14.4s and 9600s.)

i have a stack of these

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

that shits not even surprising for ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPl...gUAAOSw8-tWU5If

thats not even out of the ordinary, theres all sorts of "vintage gaming computer" with a pentium 2 that people are trying to sell for like 300 dollars or more

when it's something with a $ickk voodoo3 or whatever, they often get their $250-350. it's insane

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

i have a stack of these

when it's something with a $ickk voodoo3 or whatever, they often get their $250-350. it's insane

yeah

and for some reason theres tons of old computer parts from sellers in bulgaria

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

i have a stack of these

do you have any sun ultra 45s, the last of the Sun workstations?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

do you have any sun ultra 45s, the last of the Sun workstations?

i have literally never seen one of these

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I have never seen one either, but I did look up the manuals for it and do a real estate search on the ZIP code in the manual and now my night is full of comedy.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/95054/sby-1

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

I have never seen one either, but I did look up the manuals for it and do a real estate search on the ZIP code in the manual and now my night is full of comedy.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/95054/sby-1

yes, sun hq was in silicon valley

what's the joke

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, sun hq was in silicon valley

what's the joke

A 900 square foot house for $549K, that is next to a strip mall. lmao

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my school's cs dept labs were largely ultra 45s, with some older SPARC boxes mixed in

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pham Nuwen posted:

my school's cs dept labs were largely ultra 45s, with some older SPARC boxes mixed in

get off my lawn

also your university was 5+ years behind the times if they were still buying sparc workstations in 2008

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

A 900 square foot house for $549K, that is next to a strip mall. lmao

i still don't get it

is the joke "the suburbs"

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i still don't get it

is the joke "the suburbs"

You get it, you're just playing a role.

Apr 7, 2003

"It's worth spending <x> to live here" works when what you're living in is actually unique and interesting, like Manhattan. When you live on the side of a four lane highway with a strip mall on the other side of the street and you have to drive an hour and a half to do anything interesting, you might as well be in Springfield, MO.

At that point, you're paying a premium for the weather. That's cool, I guess.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

"It's worth spending <x> to live here" works when what you're living in is actually unique and interesting, like Manhattan. When you live on the side of a four lane highway with a strip mall on the other side of the street and you have to drive an hour and a half to do anything interesting, you might as well be in Springfield, MO.

you're paying a premium to have access to a job market. which is also the point of living in manhattan for 80+% of its residents.

the pleasures of cutesy neighborhoods in urban cores are for the idle rich

actual workers just want to be close to the jobs. (often in the service industries for those idle rich!)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

The weather in the south bay is pretty crappy actually. So they're paying to be near Google. Everyone knows it's garbage.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
springfield, mo seems like a perfectly lovely place to live but there's no loving work

that's why the housing is cheap. if there were jobs nearby it would cost a loving fortune to live there

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

actual workers just want to be close to the jobs. (often in the service industries for those idle rich!)

thats me!!

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're paying a premium to have access to a job market. which is also the point of living in manhattan for 80+% of its residents.

the pleasures of cutesy neighborhoods in urban cores are for the idle rich

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of jobs in that zip code are making tech level wages? The median income in NYC, as you have pointed out, is on par with Pittsburgh.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of jobs in that zip code are making tech level wages? The median income in NYC, as you have pointed out, is on par with Pittsburgh.

high wages and bottomless demand for a small fraction of workers create the service industries that attract and retain the bottom 80%

pittsburgh keeps a reasonable median income because it loses population every year. the sample count goes down, the average incomes stay the same.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-02-10/why-some-cities-get-all-the-good-jobs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

jobs in the zip code, no. people who live in the zip code, yes.

all the service workers drive from san leandro or someplace, or take bart or caltrain or whatnot.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
who the gently caress would actually choose to live in silicon valley for a reason unconnected to job opportunities? it's a heavily polluted suburban wasteland where no one can afford a house

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

who the gently caress would actually choose to live in silicon valley for a reason unconnected to job opportunities? it's a heavily polluted suburban wasteland where no one can afford a house

my grandma lived in sunnyvale until 2005 and now her house is worth like 3 times what it was when she sold it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
we already have a tech bubble thread, this is the old computer thread

I popped in to weird stuff today and they actually seemed to have a bunch of sun ultra series towers in their back of house, so they may have ultra 45s

never could figure out where most of that stuff gets sold by them though, I always see interesting things in back there and they're neither on the web site nor the eBay page

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I have personally known six people in the past two years who came in, interned with me, and said "I'M GOING TO THE VALLEY" and left. lmao

as bad as Pittsburgh can be (and it's not losing population, the differential is moving to the suburbs), you can buy a palace and have real, actual cultural amenities next door.

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

we already have a tech bubble thread, this is the old computer thread

Yeah, gently caress you.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I just wouldn't want to be stuck with one of the sun "ultra" workstations (or servers) with an Opteron CPU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I amazon'd the manual to the Pre-Computer 1000 since mine vanished long, long ago (even back when I hacked bad basic into it on a regular basis)

I remembered this quote vividly

computers without writeable storage need to come back as learning tools

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I just wouldn't want to be stuck with one of the sun "ultra" workstations (or servers) with an Opteron CPU

the customer base felt the same way

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

http://www.vintagecomputerfederation.org/festivals/vintage-computer-festival-west-xi/ gently caress yeah it's back

gonna start up a J-PC table with some friends, get my apple iigs autographed by the woz if he's there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

someone is selling a working Macintosh SE close to me, someone please tell me why it sucks and I shouldn't get it

• Locked thread