Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Miftan posted:

So what's the best way to delay the avatar project? Do I ride the counter and only do anything to reduce it after it's been filled or is it better to demolish the blacksites as they pop up?

At first when I saw Beaglerush ride the counter I thought "Oh, that's lame. You should be punished for letting it ride out too many times in one campaign."

Then I actually played the game. Wow, was I wrong. Right now in my game, the alien facility with the most pips is on the opposite side of the world from me so it actually takes a lot of time, intel, and effort that I don't have to try to get there in time. Luckily I keep getting within reach of a few one-pip facilities to keep the counter down, but punishing counter-riding would demand a nearly-perfect level of play that RNG can pretty easily poo poo on.

AlternateAccount posted:

Her face. Gettin' real tired of your poo poo, Steam Community.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621249560

Speaking of which, like I've said previously I've got to set up my own Avatar Timer for the definitely-in-the-process-of-being-made-because-it's-the-internet SeXCOM mod. One it reaches maximum, SeXCOM is released and we'll all have failed to protect the earth from it.

In better mod ideas, I can see a Delta Green mod in my head already. Every enemy looks like a civilian, your best weapon is a pistol, and your characters are prone to panic as soon as they see something they shouldn't. Which, in Delta Green, is pretty much all the time if they're doing their jobs right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I had some enemies hiding behind some civilians. Didn't stop me from using my shredder ammo shot on them, turning the civvies, aliens, and assorted walls into mincemeat.
Yeah been there, done that.

The funniest thing is that the game doesn't even give you a friendly fire warning.

Also yes, the shredder is the most satisfying goddamn thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

A literal terrorist organisation
My last retaliation mission went well with 10 civs saved. I also managed to destroy every single walled structure on the map. The haven was in Siberia. Mission thoroughly accomplished.

e: And for people raving about the shredder cannon, wait until you get the powered armor version.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

LuiCypher posted:

At first when I saw Beaglerush ride the counter I thought "Oh, that's lame. You should be punished for letting it ride out too many times in one campaign."

Every time you ride out the Avatar Countdown, the chance of Avatars appearing in boss pods goes up, very slightly, from zero.

edit: that's a proposal for a punishment, not what actually happens

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Was thinking about how the game's more roguelike elements needed more stuff to make things interesting. Dumb grenade/ammo types I came up with:

-Shock Grenades: 2-3 damage (more with advanced explosives upgrade), frag grenade radius, stuns enemies for one to two turns.
-Needle Grenades: 4-5 damage, slightly larger radius than frag grenade, only hits enemies flanked or out of cover from grenade's position
-Psi Grenades: Somewhat smaller radius than flashbangs but larger than incendiary grenades, rolls mindspin on organic enemies in AoE (minus mind-control of course)
-Percussion Grenades: Similar effect to frag grenades, but does less damage. You can carry two (four if they're in your grenade slot as grenadier with the appropriate perk)
-Modify EMP grenades to disable weapons in radius, but do less damage to mechanical targets to compensate (makes EMP more flexible and not a waste on missions without mechanized enemies)

-Taser rounds: 1 extra damage and chance to stun organic enemies.
-Soft-point rounds: 3 extra damage against unarmored targets (includes targets with armor shredded off)
-Mindslammer rounds: Invokes will penalty on hit.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nordick posted:

Yeah been there, done that.

The funniest thing is that the game doesn't even give you a friendly fire warning.

Also yes, the shredder is the most satisfying goddamn thing.

I took out about a 1/4 of a building just to hit an Andromedon at the very edge of the target area. It was THE BEST.

Also, if you can Zandatsu a Sectopod, then the game should put a little guy in there who is infinitely more dangerous than the Sectopod itself. Just to be thematic and have a little dichotomy with the Andromedon.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

RBA Starblade posted:

You guys are making an extra compelling case for the Speaker next Unification Day. :colbert:

Snipers suck rear end but this perk caught my attention on my Gunslinger. It lost out to Shoot Everything though.

Yeah, ok.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kin33 posted:

Yeah, ok.

When mine start to accomplish anything I'll let you know.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
When a boob-snake uses its poison attack, one of its boobs should deflate.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

RBA Starblade posted:

Are you not ambushing enemy pods with a Kill Zone sniper equipped with a Scoped / Extended Magazine rifle or something?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Untouchable protects you from a single attack. I honestly only find it potentially disgusting with reaper, which also lowers your damage output, so that kind of evens out.

Personally I've been having a pretty good run of flawless missions while rotating around my dudes and I'm not going to attribute it to my one blademaster running around and stabbing 1 dude/turn. Which even then isn't always going to kill someone. Plenty of aliens have more than enough health to survive even the upgraded damage on swords. With some more effort it might worth tying some of these upgrades to GTS projects or the like. But that's more effort than I'm interested in right now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nordick posted:

Not a loving peep.

All those city people are loving collaborators or Faceless anyway, gently caress'em
I love that the game itself doesn't care about civilians at all unless they're in rebel outposts. That's actually a legitimately nice touch in the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Are you not ambushing enemy pods with a Kill Zone sniper equipped with a Scoped / Extended Magazine rifle or something?

He's never gotten to that point because he almost never hits anything on the turns he can even shoot the sniper rifle, even with height advantage and upgraded rifle. Meanwhile the gunslinger fires three to five shots a turn. After a while I just stopped bringing him. Kill Zone sure looks like a good perk though. I mean hell the shotgun at range is more accurate than him.

Keeping snipers back also doesn't mesh with my playstyle in this so there's that too. Gunslingers are basically perfect for me.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

RBA Starblade posted:

He's never gotten to that point because he almost never hits anything on the turns he can even shoot the sniper rifle, even with height advantage and upgraded rifle. Meanwhile the gunslinger fires three to five shots a turn. After a while I just stopped bringing him. Kill Zone sure looks like a good perk though. I mean hell the shotgun at range is more accurate than him.

Keeping snipers back also doesn't mesh with my playstyle in this so there's that too. Gunslingers are basically perfect for me.

Did you get a 70 accuracy recruit turned into a sniper?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Just because they have squadsight doesn't mean you have to park them miles away. Treat them like Long War's LMGs or squadsight MECs: its useful for a few extra tiles of shooting, but if you're picking up massive penalties, its time to move forward. Also, a sniper really comes into their own with a good aim PCS/possibly a scope. Though I agree, I prefer gunslingers just for their mobility. I might swap out Face-off for kill zone though: the damage on faceoff is pretty low per target and I don't get that much mileage out of the poison disable (which I'd also get with killzone).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khisanth Magus posted:

Did you get a 70 accuracy recruit turned into a sniper?

Wait do recruits not all have the same stats anymore? Is my problem entirely that I got a lovely roll for the snipers?

lmao

quote:

Just because they have squadsight doesn't mean you have to park them miles away.

I'm not having him fire from Squadsight. His accuracy is dismal even without it. I've never seen an aim pcs either. Just dodge and mobility.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's only potentially an issue on EVAC missions, but even then, it usually only takes one turn of sprinting/grapples (maybe two, without a grapple to have them back in the middle of your dudes. On facility raids it's super easy, because there's usually an exterior structure you can use for them to provide cover from, and then you breach the wall and they can fire inside!

Also, I can't find an .ini setting for the Fusion Blade's fire chance. There's one for the stun chance on the Arc Blade, but that's not one for the Fusion Blade.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

SpookyLizard posted:

Untouchable protects you from a single attack. I honestly only find it potentially disgusting with reaper, which also lowers your damage output, so that kind of evens out.

Personally I've been having a pretty good run of flawless missions while rotating around my dudes and I'm not going to attribute it to my one blademaster running around and stabbing 1 dude/turn. Which even then isn't always going to kill someone. Plenty of aliens have more than enough health to survive even the upgraded damage on swords. With some more effort it might worth tying some of these upgrades to GTS projects or the like. But that's more effort than I'm interested in right now.

My remark about disgusting was only in the context of a 100% hit rate. Barring the handful of enemies with dodge, you would know exactly whether or not you were going to kill before committing to the action.

Making something into your backup plan is a qualitative change rather than a purely quantitative one in xcom because of how important it is to have guaranteed options. Just look at how useful Combat Protocol is and there's no way for that to hit more than one target in a turn, you have limited uses per mission and against most targets it does way less damage than a sword (and when it is at its most useful, early in the game, it does less damage than a sword even to mech targets)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

OK i must be blind because im trying to look at installing mods for my next run and I don't see where it is in Steam. I'm pretty sure I saw it as I was first installing the game but now I can't find where it is at all.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

UberJew posted:

If your sword attack is 100% hit then you know ahead of time whether it is a risk or not and you just don't do it unless it will work. It would get more and more disgusting as you get additional skill synergy with sword attacks (extra move so now you know you'll get an automatic kill and can withdraw to a position out of los, or untouchable so you know you can't be hit, or god forbid Reaper which now just becomes a grenade with a radius of 'basically every enemy on the map') which are all good skills already without that

As it exists, the sword is just a really poo poo version of run and gun. With run and gun and implacable you can flank a dude, blow him away with a 100% chance and like +50% crit chance then retreat. At late game you have untouchable and goddamn rapid fire with no turn cooldown as well. The sword on the other hand stops being useful the instant advent start rolling out elite tier enemies and is pretty much relegated to loving up the errant sectoid/viper.

Swords do less damage per tier, scale like poo poo, and are more inaccurate than the shotgun.

Also Reaper only grants an extra action ON KILL. So unless all the enemies are nearly dead you're not going to mow through the entire map of dudes barring some extraordinary luck

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait do recruits not all have the same stats anymore? Is my problem entirely that I got a lovely roll for the snipers?

lmao

I'm not having him fire from Squadsight. His accuracy is dismal even without it.

Then you are taking a penalty to aim for being too close. A few notes: Sniper aim per level is extremely high so they take a few levels to get going. Sniper work best when on overwatch or killzone to kill exposed people or when combo'd with a grenade to destroy cover. Although late game he was hitting full cover enemies 100% anyways with a full +aim loadout. Sniper rifle damage is really good and using killzone and serial properly easily has it out scale pistols for damage.

edit: Also you are ignoring how well they combo with a phantom ranger but you don't use one so I think you are just a masochist anyways.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SpookyLizard posted:

If you're asking swords be as good as shotguns, wouldn't shotguns then suck as being simply swords that you have to reload, and which can only do a dash attack once every four turns - and that's if you skip Run and Gun?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bolow posted:

As it exists, the sword is just a really poo poo version of run and gun. With run and gun and implacable you can flank a dude, blow him away with a 100% chance and like +50% crit chance then retreat. At late game you have untouchable and goddamn rapid fire with no turn cooldown as well. The sword on the other hand stops being useful the instant advent start rolling out elite tier enemies and is pretty much relegated to loving up the errant sectoid/viper.

Swords do less damage per tier, scale like poo poo, and are more inaccurate than the shotgun.

Also Reaper only grants an extra action ON KILL. So unless all the enemies are nearly dead you're not going to mow through the entire map of dudes barring some extraordinary luck

swords need a buff and i already floated my idea on how to do so on the last page, 100% hit rates just are not the way to buff them (increased damage and better utility is)

if they have 100% hit rates there would be no luck involved in a reaper rampage whatsoever, it's just a question of properly spreading out damage first :tem:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's quite easy.

1) Go on roof/cliff

2) Shoot aliens

3) Results!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I love that the game itself doesn't care about civilians at all unless they're in rebel outposts. That's actually a legitimately nice touch in the game.

I hesitated the first time I had a civilian in explosive AoE, but it was that or get my dudes hit. I guiltily laughed a bit when no one even commented on John Doe getting blown to hell.

RBA Starblade posted:

Gunslingers were cool in my initial "find out what works and what don't" run, but I specced into Snipers for my "real" run because of Kill Zone. They've consistently been the best killers in the squad. Having a Phantom Ranger that never attacks until the situation is grave or it's clean-up time helps a lot, and stacking Aim boosters and always securing high ground basically has the enemy losing at least one dude every round to unseen death.

It's really cool how they balanced the Sharpshooter this way, how both our playstyles are effective as all hell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kin33 posted:

Then you are taking a penalty to aim for being too close. A few notes: Sniper aim per level is extremely high so they take a few levels to get going. Sniper work best when on overwatch or killzone to kill exposed people or when combo'd with a grenade to destroy cover. Although late game he was hitting full cover enemies 100% anyways with a full +aim loadout. Sniper rifle damage is really good and using killzone and serial properly easily has it out scale pistols for damage.

Eight to ten tiles or so away is too close? These assholes are finicky. I've been using the Gunslinger and a Gunner to break cover and clear exposed units. I can get a whole pod in like half a turn. Heavy armor is where that starts to be a problem though.

I'm bringing one along again because my pinch hitters got poisoned so they get to take a vacation in anti-septic part of the ship, I'll see if I can't do anything to get him decent.

quote:

It's really cool how they balanced the Sharpshooter this way, how both our playstyles are effective as all hell.

Yeah I should be adding "in my game" to everything about Snipers because of the talk about how good they are. They used to be my heavy hitters in EU so it's weird getting used to them being lackluster this campaign!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Strong Sauce posted:

OK i must be blind because im trying to look at installing mods for my next run and I don't see where it is in Steam. I'm pretty sure I saw it as I was first installing the game but now I can't find where it is at all.

Select XCOM 2 in your library and scroll down until you see the workshop.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nordick posted:

It's quite easy.

1) Go on roof/cliff

2) Shoot aliens

3) Results!

The "Guardian" on the skill tree might be some of your success there. My sharpshooters all seem to roll Lightning Reflexes and my rangers all get Rupture. Which isn't...bad, but since I tend to use them for cleanup and their crit rates are in the high 80s as-is, seems largely superfluous.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What types of missions are safe to ignore? Like if the council gives me some VIP rescue mission, is there any consequence to just not doing it?

Also how many days do I have till a mission opportunity goes away?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Peewi posted:

I've uploaded the new version of my mod

I'm pretty happy with it now and if I make any further visual changes it'd probably just be to the icons.

I think, if you're going to revise it any more, I'd say make the icons a bit smaller. I like the overall size and shape of everything, but since the heart/armor/diamond icons don't really tell us that much, I don't think they need that much real estate. It's already a shitload better than the default UI, though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ravenfood posted:

The "Guardian" on the skill tree might be some of your success there. My sharpshooters all seem to roll Lightning Reflexes and my rangers all get Rupture. Which isn't...bad, but since I tend to use them for cleanup and their crit rates are in the high 80s as-is, seems largely superfluous.

Killzone can guarantee two overwatch shots on a target in a single activation when you're ambushing a pod already, guardian is if anything often obsolete on a full sniper build

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Bolow posted:

Yes, swords are a weaker version of Run and Gun, and Run and Gun competes with Conceal, the best skill in the game.

The situation where Reaper is useful (and by almost dead, we really mean less than about 8 hp) comes up pretty drat often because of the availability of grenades, Face Off, Void rift, the fact that killzone stops one shotting enemies, and so on. There's a lot abilities that practically fill your screen with reaperable enemies.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

RBA Starblade posted:

Eight to ten tiles or so away is too close? These assholes are finicky. I've been using the Gunslinger and a Gunner to break cover and clear exposed units. I can get a whole pod in like half a turn. Heavy armor is where that starts to be a problem though.

I'm bringing one along again because my pinch hitters got poisoned so they get to take a vacation in anti-septic part of the ship, I'll see if I can't do anything to get him decent.

Yeah I should be adding "in my game" to everything about Snipers because of the talk about how good they are. They used to be my heavy hitters in EU so it's weird getting used to them being lackluster this campaign!

Yes, 11 tiles is minimum range before you start losing accuracy. Squadsight penalty is only -2% per tile so you can be pretty far away and still have good hit %.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ravenfood posted:

The "Guardian" on the skill tree might be some of your success there.
It's nice, but I actually don't even use overwatch on her all that much. I do the occasional Killzone ambush, but most of the time I just shoot aliens all normal-like. :shrug:
My two star sharpshooters in my previous campaign had shittier bonus perks and they were pretty much as successful. Both were kinda different sniper-gunslinger hybrids.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

PantsBandit posted:

Select XCOM 2 in your library and scroll down until you see the workshop.

Thanks but good grief is the UX terrible for that site.

I'm looking for the initial mods that were released. Can someone give me the 2-3 that were already available at the game's release? One was about adding a leadership mod? Tried searching 'leader' and 'leadership' got 0 results.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kin33 posted:

Yes, 11 tiles is minimum range before you start losing accuracy. Squadsight penalty is only -2% per tile so you can be pretty far away and still have good hit %.

Argh that's way back then. Thanks though, I'll stop having him keep pace (unless it's an evac mission, in which case good luck Camera Man).

quote:

edit: Also you are ignoring how well they combo with a phantom ranger but you don't use one so I think you are just a masochist anyways.

That may be part of it too. Concealment for me is first turn only. Maybe two if somehow I didn't find anyone.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

Thanks but good grief is the UX terrible for that site.

I'm looking for the initial mods that were released. Can someone give me the 2-3 that were already available at the game's release? One was about adding a leadership mod? Tried searching 'leader' and 'leadership' got 0 results.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/longwarstudios/myworkshopfiles/?appid=268500

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Snipers aren't very good early on but when you get some good weapon mods, a perception PCS, and kill zone, baby you got a stew goin'.

My A-Team from my last campaign had, among five other war heroes, Colonel Berko Bikani. A rough-around-the-patches man from Nigeria who's pushing fifty, Bikani survived the old war, served in XCOM before its collapse, and was part of Kiryu-Kai before that went tits-up (how a Nigerian man ended up on the payroll for a Japanese paramilitary organization is another story). Bikani showed up in my roster wearing beaten old XCOM armor, gold aviators, and that wonderful blowout hair. The moment I saw him I knew what I had in my hands.

Bikani ended up becoming a sniper. I suppose it was tough for him to carry large weapons or sprint long distances at his somewhat old age, and he didn't have the technical know-how to become a specialist, so he took up marksmanship. It was tough at first; getting set up to take long-distance shots in urban environments and having almost no window of opportunity to get things done, but the man managed. He persevered and became an important squad asset, his scout buddy and friendly rival Helen Hall spotting ADVENT Officers and Archons for him to dome before they knew what was up. His penchant for watching old Western movies in the living quarters on an old TV and DVD player he commandeered from an ADVENT contraband facility earned him the nickname "Cowboy." One time he nearly one-shot an Andromedon.

On the final mission things got extra hairy when three codices showed up. A good grenade ate half their health, but the cyberbeings each split into two, and now six codices surrounded the squad. Bikani kept his cool like he always did, lined up his rifle, and took a shot. And another. And a third. And he kept going until the battery in his lance read zero. Each shot was quickly lined up, precisely hit, and just as quickly and accurately the rifle moved to the next target. Each of the six codices that threatened to wipe out the squad were snuffed out in a matter of seconds by the man.

Bikani's quick and steady hands kept the entire squad alive, and while it was Helen that ended up delivering two shots from the storm gun as the final blow, Bikani was the one that gave her the cover to do it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

UberJew posted:

My remark about disgusting was only in the context of a 100% hit rate. Barring the handful of enemies with dodge, you would know exactly whether or not you were going to kill before committing to the action.

Making something into your backup plan is a qualitative change rather than a purely quantitative one in xcom because of how important it is to have guaranteed options. Just look at how useful Combat Protocol is and there's no way for that to hit more than one target in a turn, you have limited uses per mission and against most targets it does way less damage than a sword (and when it is at its most useful, early in the game, it does less damage than a sword even to mech targets)

I'm not real happy with any of the sword fix mods on the market at the moment either, but Combat Protocol leaves your dude safely tucked away in full cover instead of exposing him to death by gory alien gangbang. It's not a useful starting point for comparison to the sword in any way. As a relatively high risk option, the sword also needs to be high reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sniper used to be my highest kills but he is pretty much falling behind now that both the rangers have run and gun. Killzone is alright but its super limited by ammo, its kinda meh.

Rangers with 2 run and gun moves is flipping retarded, they fly across the map annihilating everything. Well everything that lives the volley of plasma grenades.

If I would try the game on ironman I would consider just dropping the sniper for another heavy.