Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

An actual conversation I had with somebody who I am pretty sure has some kind of graduate degree:

"What is that icon for?

"Oh that's Windows Media Player."

"What is that?"

"It's just a media player that comes with Windows."

"What is it though?"

"It's just the built in media player, it comes with Windows."

"Yes but what is media?"

:stare:

It turns out you can't cram a square peg in a circle, or whatever that saying is. Would it have been too hard to say videos/music instead of "media"? If I'm a person who needs to play music and video, I don't search for a "media player". It could have gone something like this:

"What is that icon for?

"What is that?"

"What is it though?"

"It's plays music and videos."

"Oh, thanks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Suffer not the idiot to live

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off today: Telcos.

Started the process to migrate a number from our PRI to SIP earlier this week. Still haven't signed the order or scheduled the work. Telco moved the number this morning at 8:10. We lost an hour's worth of calls and my ringer was off. So far today I've had my rear end chewed on by my boss, and our CEO.

Great.

gently caress you Integra.

Requested a disconnect from Windstream back in October. Still waiting for them to quit sending us a bill.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tigren posted:

It turns out you can't cram a square peg in a circle, or whatever that saying is. Would it have been too hard to say videos/music instead of "media"? If I'm a person who needs to play music and video, I don't search for a "media player". It could have gone something like this:

"What is that icon for?

"What is that?"

"What is it though?"

"It's plays music and videos."

"Oh, thanks."

That's what I said in response to the last question but "media" isn't an esoteric technical term.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

go3 posted:

Suffer not the idiot to live

Yeah, because not knowing terminology makes them an idiot. My grandmother does not computer, she knows nothing about computer, if I started using the word "media" around her she'd think I was talking about the news. An idiot she is not.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, because not knowing terminology makes them an idiot. My grandmother does not computer, she knows nothing about computer, if I started using the word "media" around her she'd think I was talking about the news. An idiot she is not.
Do you work with your grandmother or provide her IT support

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

me·di·a1
ˈmēdēə/Submit
noun
plural form of medium.
the main means of mass communication (especially television, radio, newspapers, and the Internet) regarded collectively.
"the campaign won media attention"
synonyms: the press, the fourth estate, the news, the papers; More

Let's define MEDIUM

2. An intervening substance through which something else is transmitted or carried on.

These words have been around a long time, long before the computer was invented.

Example of a medium: A piece of paper, canvas, a CD, a tape, VHS, beta, etc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, she's family. Anyone who does IT professionally is also the family IT support.

"Oh sonny you know computers, well can you fix my printer??"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Che Delilas posted:

yeah she is sorry

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
(I'd just like to say that the key part of my announcement email, which kinda sparked this discussion, was worded thus: "All media files - that is, pictures, music, and videos - will be excluded from future back ups.")

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 12, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

Pfft, she's family. Anyone who does IT professionally is also the family IT support.

"Oh sonny you know computers, well can you fix my printer??"

Both my brother and sister come to me for technical support at their jobs. They each have dedicated IT teams so I'll never touch anything or tell them to take action, but I'll tell them exactly what to say to IT to get the results they want. There are a lot of people in IT that don't listen if the person requesting help doesn't use technical jargon.

"The computer is offline, so I pulled the wire out of the blinking box and plugged it back in, now it's working. But I have to do this every day" gets no results for weeks, so I ask the basic troubleshooting questions the IT department should be asking, and eventually that statement turns in to "Network links between the switch and computers are failing to half-duplex, resetting the network connection resolves the issue. Check CRC errors on switchports 3, 6, and 12 as they each failed recently." Suddenly IT is on site and actually fixing poo poo.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Trying to be a good manager and be patient with my help but this kid is going to drive me up a motherfucking wall by basically coming in the other day and doing absolutely nothing while I was out of town, including leaving a salesperson without a computer for a number of days and basically telling them "we'll probably finish it next week".

Yeah kiddo, your employment might finish this week. If you can't churn out 5 desktops a day with the way we do things, you're basically dead to me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off right now: Our printer leasing company (and the only reason they're our company is because their salesperson is friends with one of our owners) is vile. They built us a really lovely server, but were "cheaper" than our other IT people who would have done a good job with it. "Cheaper" in quotes because it cost us more in labor and being a pain in our rear end than doing it right would have.

So anyway, they cancelled maintenance contracts on two of our printers without saying a loving word. This caused me to call up some other companies, who were asking about volume, which made me look up our previous bills with this company to see what the volume is like... which led me to discover that they overbilled us to the tune of about $3000. Which is a lot for a small shop, and about 400% of what the bill should have been. Additionally, it looks like they've been padding our volume, because our volume for the last quarter of 2015 was about 250% of what it was for any other quarter... and we didn't have the printers until October 19th, and the office was closed for four days over Xmas/New Years.

Also, they're saying we printed over 250,000 pages, and I pulled our paper ordering during that time, and we only ordered 140,000 sheets of paper, including envelopes and labels.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanatosian posted:

Also, they're saying we printed over 250,000 pages, and I pulled our paper ordering during that time, and we only ordered 140,000 sheets of paper, including envelopes and labels.

Are you guys using double sided printing?

Also, the printers should have counters on them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off right now: Our printer leasing company (and the only reason they're our company is because their salesperson is friends with one of our owners) is vile. They built us a really lovely server, but were "cheaper" than our other IT people who would have done a good job with it. "Cheaper" in quotes because it cost us more in labor and being a pain in our rear end than doing it right would have.

So anyway, they cancelled maintenance contracts on two of our printers without saying a loving word. This caused me to call up some other companies, who were asking about volume, which made me look up our previous bills with this company to see what the volume is like... which led me to discover that they overbilled us to the tune of about $3000. Which is a lot for a small shop, and about 400% of what the bill should have been. Additionally, it looks like they've been padding our volume, because our volume for the last quarter of 2015 was about 250% of what it was for any other quarter... and we didn't have the printers until October 19th, and the office was closed for four days over Xmas/New Years.

Obviously someone is coming in with their own paper and printing! Seriously though print out the logs from the printer if you still have it and give it to legal.

edit: also I've seen some companies be lazy and "Color pages billed as x pages" so check for extra people with the color driver if it's color and there is only a single line since no sane company is charging the same for color and Black and White.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Are you guys using double sided printing?

Also, the printers should have counters on them.
No one here double-sided prints. Even if people suddenly were to start, the volume of double-sided printing would have had to exceed the total volume of printing for the previous quarter, and then another 1.5 times as much single-sided printing on top of that, in a quarter that was effectively 85% as long. I went back and checked the reporting on the printer (which shows volume by file number), and found that to be wildly inaccurate (like, 10% of what the actual volume should have been).

And the printers have counters, but I don't have the starting totals. The ending totals are reading accurately, though. Still deeply, deeply suspicious.

pixaal posted:

Obviously someone is coming in with their own paper and printing! Seriously though print out the logs from the printer if you still have it and give it to legal.

edit: also I've seen some companies be lazy and "Color pages billed as x pages" so check for extra people with the color driver if it's color and there is only a single line since no sane company is charging the same for color and Black and White.
It's a law firm, so we're all "legal." :P

Color pages are separated out and have a much more reasonable total.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off today: Telcos.

Started the process to migrate a number from our PRI to SIP earlier this week. Still haven't signed the order or scheduled the work. Telco moved the number this morning at 8:10. We lost an hour's worth of calls and my ringer was off. So far today I've had my rear end chewed on by my boss, and our CEO.

Great.

gently caress you Integra.

If both are from different providers your PRI carrier likely just hates you now. If both are from the same then they already hated you to begin with.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Alighieri posted:

If both are from different providers your PRI carrier likely just hates you now. If both are from the same then they already hated you to begin with.

Nope, same provider.

They hate me.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Why is it so loving hard to get a BOM on time from my vendors? HP and Cisco know by now that they are in direct competition for our new virtual environment (because HP hosed up and cost us 3 months of wasted time, promising something that didn't work).

Cisco said they'd get a BOM by last Friday. Follow up today and guess who hasn't responded yet.

HP said they'd get a BOM "Early this week", got on a call with them today, and guess who doesn't have anything for us yet.

I mean poo poo, we're already well behind schedule on this and we can't get numbers from these sales people to discuss which of them gets a 6 figure sale under their belt.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Re: Expense chat

Mine was the spending limit style. When I would go to the offsite 100 miles away, I would get a rental car, expense lunch and as time wore on, dinner as well. The guy I replaced would stay in hotels every week, even staying after the work day and bringing his wife up. It's a miracle he didn't ever piss anybody off with that enough to warrant action. One guy actually did get fired because he thought renting a Mercedes was a good idea.

I kind of wish I was more adventurous with eating out during travel. I settled into a pattern where I would eat one place close by to the site even though nobody cared where I was. Learn from my mistake gang, if the food is on the company never eat in the same place twice.

Sheep posted:

Even Japan’s largest yakuza crime syndicate, the Kobe-based Yamaguchi-gumi, has used faxes to send notifications of expulsion to members, the police say.

lol, the yakuza issues burn notices?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Things pissing me off:

Our training department decided to take a few people this week for refresher training on basics. Short training, but whatever. Just a couple of people throughout the week.
For Friday: the manager of the other team in our department requests that NO people do training on Friday. Due to staffing currently the dept would be pretty skeleton in the first place, and taking them out would cause major problems for us
So: training decided to pull AS MANY people as they could from his team into training instead. :psyduck: I haven't been this overwhelmingly busy in ages.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Lightning Jim posted:

Things pissing me off:

Our training department decided to take a few people this week for refresher training on basics. Short training, but whatever. Just a couple of people throughout the week.
For Friday: the manager of the other team in our department requests that NO people do training on Friday. Due to staffing currently the dept would be pretty skeleton in the first place, and taking them out would cause major problems for us
So: training decided to pull AS MANY people as they could from his team into training instead. :psyduck: I haven't been this overwhelmingly busy in ages.

Manager is pretty spineless to let that happen after specifically requesting otherwise. Talking to the training department, rejecting the meeting requests for the staff, or even just holding them and telling them not to show up would have all been better choices than "ohh well poo poo I guess I have no power here and my department will have to suffer"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, the idea that training could pull rank on operations is a weird one.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I wonder if training didn't communicate with the employees individually and just never gave the manager the opportunity to gainsay their instructions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Please train with us."
"No. This would affect production. "

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Two different people printed out something and scanned it in, then emailed it out. First was a Visio document, the other was a KB article from a vendor.

Print to PDF. Export to image. Anything except print it out and then scan it in, dithered B&W, at a super low resolution.

:argh:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

Two different people printed out something and scanned it in, then emailed it out. First was a Visio document, the other was a KB article from a vendor.

Print to PDF. Export to image. Anything except print it out and then scan it in, dithered B&W, at a super low resolution.

:argh:

We proposed a business process whereby we hire a temp/intern to sit by an output tray, feed output paper into a scanner, then send paper directly to the shredder. We would reduce costs by saving people the need to get up from their chairs while printing.

It still saved man hours and bottom line.

This was at the beginning of our proposal for outsourcing our printing and charging departments directly so they fix their poo poo(ty paper handling process) :D. We aren't at the charging stage yet, but I hope it's coming.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 15, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I can see the tickets even now, a year out:

Subject: "Printing is too expensive"

Body: "Printing is WAY too expensive. It's killing my department's budget. Please fix."

:getin:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Potato Salad posted:

We proposed a business process whereby we hire a temp/intern to sit by an output tray, feed output paper into a scanner, then send paper directly to the shredder. We would reduce costs by saving people the need to get up from their chairs while printing.

It still saved man hours and bottom line.

This was at the beginning of our proposal for outsourcing our printing and charging departments directly so they fix their poo poo(ty paper handling process) :D. We aren't at the charging stage yet, but I hope it's coming.

I hope this is just stage 1 of a convoluted plan that eventually obsoletes a whole department.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Skandranon posted:

I hope this is just stage 1 of a convoluted plan that eventually obsoletes a whole department.

The booklet printing / assembly / shipping department has already been refactored into a paperless tech and training dept. Worked pretty well so far, actually, in terms of reducing tonnage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AS/400 guy is real dumb. An import isn't working into this lovely program we use. So instead of investigating it, he just calls the vendor of the program that gives us the file we import (not the lovely program. well they're both lovely but that's besides that)

he's on the phone with the guy at the place that wrote the first program

"it's this file, at this time, the 5th record is giving us a problem"

an hour later they get nowhere. $120/hr wasted

hey dummy doesn't SHIT_PROGRAM.EXE give you an error when it bombs out to tell you what DLL had the problem? Send it to frank @ SHIT_COMPANY and he'll tell you what the problem is

so he sends the file and the error off to them. Ugh. We just talked about doing the background work before we call the first company for help. We have a contract with SHIT_COMPANY so it's free to call them.

edit: what a loving dipshit

I said "hey send that to me so I can see the file..."

Looked at it for one loving minute and sure enough the part # was missing on a line. No work.

"HOW THE gently caress DID IT GET IN THERE WITHOUT A PART NUMBER?"

uhh geee I'll have to ask Matt

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 15, 2016

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So I got told yesterday that I'm not allowed to have headphones on while working in the shop, because sometimes there are forklifts. Makes sense, right? Can't have that distraction blocking out the noise in case you get flattened. Just a few problems:
  • The shop is incredibly loud and I have diagnosed sensory issues that make it hard to work in noisy areas.
  • The podcasts I listen to on those headphones keep my calm, happy, and the most productive person in the shop.
  • People are allowed to listen to their radios as long as they're on speaker.
  • Not only are we allowed to use earplugs, there are dedicated earplug dispensers.
  • Everything is so loud that it's up to luck whether you can hear the forklift anyway.
  • This means without headphones my phone's speaker gets drowned out by the maddening noise.
  • I'm standing at a desk out of the way of the forklift regardless.
  • They told me this on a day no forklifts or other humans were even in the shop.
Yeah, take away the disabled person's coping device because of a nonexistent problem that you disregard in every other situation possible. gently caress this.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

An Angry Bug posted:

So I got told yesterday that I'm not allowed to have headphones on while working in the shop, because sometimes there are forklifts. Makes sense, right? Can't have that distraction blocking out the noise in case you get flattened. Just a few problems:
  • The shop is incredibly loud and I have diagnosed sensory issues that make it hard to work in noisy areas.
  • The podcasts I listen to on those headphones keep my calm, happy, and the most productive person in the shop.
  • People are allowed to listen to their radios as long as they're on speaker.
  • Not only are we allowed to use earplugs, there are dedicated earplug dispensers.
  • Everything is so loud that it's up to luck whether you can hear the forklift anyway.
  • This means without headphones my phone's speaker gets drowned out by the maddening noise.
  • I'm standing at a desk out of the way of the forklift regardless.
  • They told me this on a day no forklifts or other humans were even in the shop.
Yeah, take away the disabled person's coping device because of a nonexistent problem that you disregard in every other situation possible. gently caress this.

Get a note from a doctor of some kind, they may be trying to change policy in general. You could also sign a waiver if needed that you acknowledge that you are willingly violating a safety precaution and are the one responsible if you get injured by a forklift while wearing the earphones. Be reasonable and professional about it. Is there a way you can get your desk moved to a less crazy part of the building if they don't budge?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It's a combined assembly/shipping/warehouse area, unfortunately. My actual desk in the office area is fine, but the shop is noise central. And quite frankly the owner is a conservative who would probably sooner fire me than deal with that sort of thing. God knows half the teachers I ever dealt with got angry at the idea of disability accommodations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

An Angry Bug posted:

It's a combined assembly/shipping/warehouse area, unfortunately. My actual desk in the office area is fine, but the shop is noise central. And quite frankly the owner is a conservative who would probably sooner fire me than deal with that sort of thing. God knows half the teachers I ever dealt with got angry at the idea of disability accommodations.

Time to :yotj:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

An Angry Bug posted:

Once you calm down and take a deep breath, you'll realize this isn't a conservative conspiracy to break the will of a disabled person, but more than likely a company following OSHA guidelines.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
1 - get an ear infection
2 - get over the ear ear defenders because you can't wear earplugs
3 - buy a pair of ear buds for your ipod

Job done

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
You could also maybe check out these http://aftershokz.com/

They won't block out any sound, so may get a pass.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

An Angry Bug posted:

Get yourself a set of bluetooth enabled gun muffs/shop headset and laugh all the way to the bank. No wires to look sketchy, and it's easy enough to use. I love my set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Getting an IM from your boss first thing in the morning asking you to call him is seldom a good thing.