Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

Why the hell would you use a DSLR for taking selfies I can't see that working well at all. Also uh surely if you're going on a trip of a lifetime you take your camera with you?

It's an obvious excuse to justify spending too much money buying a DSLR that she couldn't afford and was probably struggling to operate.

e: talking about bullshit excuses; there's a local crowdfunding campaign to return a $2m beach back to public ownership. So they've been running the crowdfunding in a high profile manner. So high profile that a local philanthropist offered to buy it, have small area for his family and leave the rest available to the public. They said no, they'll hit the mark through crowdfunding.

Sounds good but in typical crowdfunding fashion today's news is that they can't sell the beach because it's tied up in legal action with them owing $6.2m to the bank which is trying to get a summary judgement to sell their house.

Their excuse for not paying the mortgage.

quote:

Garnham and Spackman maintain they were misled into signing refinancing deals, which they believed would allow them to pay interest only on the loans and none of the principal amount.
Yeah that's right paying principal on a loan is bad as they must have been mortgaged up to the tits, and presumably they no longer have the income to support it.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/76582067/bank-of-new-zealand-chasing-abel-tasman-beach-owner-and-others-for-millions

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So i googled that whole tumblr blog and found she's already familiar to digital panhandling, this is from summer '15:

quote:

Help Me Keep My Dog

Hello and thank you for reading this. I recently moved into an apartment with my friend and her boyfriend, and I just started a new job. Unfortunately due to inconvenient pay periods, I will likely not be able to make this month’s rent on time (as well as a host of other bills). My family just sprung on me that they are no longer able to keep my dog of 6 years and will be giving her up in the next two days unless I take her.

Because of the rent issue and the fact that other dogs are already here, my situation is precarious. I also need to get a kennel to keep my dog safe as well as buy her food regularly. I was already in a hard place before but now this new monkey wrench has made things that much more difficult.

I have had Ginger longer than I have had any other pet and don’t know what I would do without her friendship. A soft goal I have is $350, but anything you can give to help me so that I and/or my dog don’t get kicked out would be greatly appreciated. My paypal email is <deleted> and there is a donate button on my blog. Thank you.

edit: another one from october

quote:

Hey friends, it’s that time of year again where I can’t afford anything (aka 60% of the time lmao). I have been out of work since August and have not had much success in finding new employment that doesn’t conflict with my full time school schedule. I used loans to pay up 3 months worth of rent but what’s left of my savings is under $50.

I have food at the moment, but it goes fast and I would like to avoid buying food on credit. If anyone can spare a dollar or two to my PayPal so I can stave off selling my personal belongings, that’d be much appreciated. There’s not much anyone would actually buy other than my clothing, which all of my pieces were not the easiest to come buy given being plus size.

I have been trying to make food money stretch (at the expense of quality/goodness), but I also am paying for dog food. I hope to eventually be stable enough to pay it forward (or back) to someone else in need, but it would appear to be that part-time work that I’m actually qualified for is hard to come by.

I’m hoping to raise $50 to last me a couple weeks. my PayPal email is <deleted>

Update: I’m pretty good at academic writing so if you have an assignment due ahead of time that I am able to research, I can provide writing services. I can write creative fiction, original or fanfic as well!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Will commit academic fraud for food

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Just saw a Youtube ad for binary options trading. You can even trade bitcoin! :thumbsup:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saros posted:

Why the hell would you use a DSLR for taking selfies I can't see that working well at all. Also uh surely if you're going on a trip of a lifetime you take your camera with you?

That's how "selfies" were taken before the cell phone camera. Camera, timer or remote, something to rest the camera on, hilarity when the photos are developed.

:corsair:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Not a Children posted:

Will commit academic fraud for food
Academic cheating businesses that successfully stay open have always fascinated me. Back when calculators were something I thought about, I proposed a company making cases to allow advanced graphing calculators to look like their more basic cousins.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That lady keeps hitting up everyone for 'about tree fiddy'. I wonder if she's the Loch Nes....

quote:

all of my pieces were not the easiest to come buy given being plus size

I knew it :v:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

At least maybe convince them to ditch the company stock because it going down is, uhh, correlated with unemployment.

I'm pretty glad I didn't do that yet, because we work here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm pretty glad I didn't do that yet, because we work here.
My point is mostly that making a bunch of money from stocks and also getting a nice bonus/raise is nowhere near as good as losing your job and getting fired is bad.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I worry about Tumblr girl, but in a very selfish way. I just keep thinking "please don't meet a conservative and give life to their lazy worthless millennial caricature."

I think everyone deserves a life of some dignity and I can only imagine the horribleness that makes a person perpetually in crisis, but goddamn.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

I worry about Tumblr girl, but in a very selfish way. I just keep thinking "please don't meet a conservative and give life to their lazy worthless millennial caricature."

I think everyone deserves a life of some dignity and I can only imagine the horribleness that makes a person perpetually in crisis, but goddamn.

What if she gives life to the caricature?

Actually, I wonder if these sob stories are just "creative writing" exercises, a service that she just happens to sell!

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

That notecard already says that :ssh:

It does, but it doesn't mention that professional stock pickers don't pick stocks for their own portfolio either.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I really need to know the details of that Europe vacation...

I also like how she states that filing a police report is "futile" despite apparently knowing exactly who took her stuff and when. Sounds like she didn't even report it. I bet there was something else going on that she isn't being straight up about.

The runner up BWM is whoever promised to cover 85% of her expenses on the Euro trip.

"I NEED this European vacation!" is pretty much the definition of entitlement.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Thesaurus posted:

I really need to know the details of that Europe vacation...

I also like how she states that filing a police report is "futile" despite apparently knowing exactly who took her stuff and when. Sounds like she didn't even report it. I bet there was something else going on that she isn't being straight up about.

The runner up BWM is whoever promised to cover 85% of her expenses on the Euro trip.

"I NEED this European vacation!" is pretty much the definition of entitlement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZk1WHJ_fwo

Not everyone inherits wealth, and that is sad :(

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Academic cheating businesses that successfully stay open have always fascinated me. Back when calculators were something I thought about, I proposed a company making cases to allow advanced graphing calculators to look like their more basic cousins.

Same. Academic fraud has got a weird parallel to high finance, where the people that benefit the most from it are a) very difficult to prosecute and b) wealthy, or at least the biggest spenders.

I think I read in a Readers Digest some years ago that it's just as well, because people that buy their way through school are really just training to buy their way through life.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Thesaurus posted:

Depending on what evidence exists, it may not be possible to prove this person robbed her, even if everyone with sense knows drat well they did. When a housemate of mine (in a rent-by-the-bedroom place) robbed me, the cops told me straight out that they were sure he did it but couldn't prove it in court. A police report didn't get my stuff back or him arrested. Know what it did get me? Full coverage for my stuff because I wasn't an idiot and had renter's insurance.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZk1WHJ_fwo

Not everyone inherits wealth, and that is sad :(
That would have been funnier without the like, "okay I learned something today" part at the end. It's like they were worried some people would watch it and not get it.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

effervescible posted:

Depending on what evidence exists, it may not be possible to prove this person robbed her, even if everyone with sense knows drat well they did. When a housemate of mine (in a rent-by-the-bedroom place) robbed me, the cops told me straight out that they were sure he did it but couldn't prove it in court. A police report didn't get my stuff back or him arrested. Know what it did get me? Full coverage for my stuff because I wasn't an idiot and had renter's insurance.

I believe you, but that sounds so crazy. How does anyone get busted for theft under such rules?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mostly people are busted for theft if they're caught in the act or on video, or the goods are recovered as part of another arrest.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

effervescible posted:

I had a similar situation when I was living in college dorms and my roommate was stealing from my other 2 roommates and I. The cops came and told us we could file a report but nothing would happen because even though they believed us, it was our word against hers. We even found some of our stuff hidden in her dresser/closet but since we moved it, it didn't count as evidence.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

lol if you ever stopped thinking about calculators

calculator thoughts 4 lyfe, bitch

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

flynt posted:

I had a similar situation when I was living in college dorms and my roommate was stealing from my other 2 roommates and I. The cops came and told us we could file a report but nothing would happen because even though they believed us, it was our word against hers. We even found some of our stuff hidden in her dresser/closet but since we moved it, it didn't count as evidence.

I found out how roommate theft works back in 2013. I rented a room in a three bedroom two bedroom apartment turned into a three bedroom apartment. The leaseholder was looking to fill two rooms, and of the two, I was considered the questionable one. Our political views didn't exactly align. I found out later that the girl renting the other room was a :airquote: former :airquote: heroin addict... and the leaseholder knew but didn't tell me. :monocle:

A month into living there, I took off for a weekend to visit NY without telling anyone, and the leaseholder went somewhere in Canada, making sure to talk about it constantly. I got a call Sunday night that the addict cleaned everything out of her room, took a bunch of stuff from the leaseholder, and disappeared. None of my stuff got stolen! Must have thought I would see it sooner and call the police.
Cops said the same thing- wasn't caught in the act, her word against ours, me being "away" could be considered questionable, who else has keys, etc.

It's been two and a half years, and all that's happened is we've had to show up to court a couple times, wait around for a few hours, then just leave because no meetings ever take place. Massachusetts legal system.

Finding your roommates on craigslist: BWM.
some of the time

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Tumblr poster is Black so I can totally understand her not wanting to get the police involved even if it were prosecutable. Involving the police if you're Black is a really good way for you to get hurt or killed by the police.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Moneyball posted:

Just saw a Youtube ad for binary options trading. You can even trade bitcoin! :thumbsup:
I've been noticing a lot of similar ads. I guess binary trading is the new forex trading for the "get rich quick" patsies.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Tumblr poster is Black so I can totally understand her not wanting to get the police involved even if it were prosecutable. Involving the police if you're Black is a really good way for you to get hurt or killed by the police.
That's a really stupid thing to say

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
But now I know who to steal from!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Are we still pretending that any of that post is real? begging for 350 bucks 3 times on tumblr in a single year seems to be more a test of gullibility than anything else.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Are we still pretending that any of that post is real? begging for 350 bucks 3 times on tumblr in a single year seems to be more a test of gullibility than anything else.

$350 gives you the most return with the fewest followers/friends dropping you. $100 is too little because people will assume you don't really need it. Asking for $1000 is too much and people will stop following you. $350 is just enough so someone can donate $3 and feel like they're helping.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Moneyball posted:

Finding your roommates on craigslist: BWM.
some of the time

Having the water bill be abnormally high only to find out a main burst and Water is billing you for the repair because it wasn't reported for several months = BWM.

Not your fault because you just rent a room there = GWM

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Thesaurus posted:

I believe you, but that sounds so crazy. How does anyone get busted for theft under such rules?

Similar to Moneyball and flynt, there were circumstances shithead housemate could have used as reasonable doubt--I'd been gone for a week so there was no "stuff went missing at X time when only Y was home," there were no fingerprints, other people had access to our section of the house.

Except those people were the landlord and the other roommate who was a retired firefighter, neither of whom I'd ever had a problem with at the time, and the police recognized shithead because they'd had a few run-ins before. So we all knew it was him and couldn't prove it. He did eventually get caught in the act trying to steal from landlord, but this incident was just part of the downward slide of that living situation so I was basically out the door by then.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nitrox posted:

That's a really stupid thing to say

No its not. Its a pretty common sentiment in PoC communities.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

No its not. Its a pretty common sentiment in PoC communities.

It really is kind of stupid.

Even in a system like ours, with real and quantifiable institutionalized racism, there are tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of peaceful interactions between police and minorities for every bad one. To not call the cops because you think they're going to hurt or kill you is paranoia.

So maybe it's a common sentiment, but it's a stupid one. Like how White people think Muslims are going to kill them.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

oh my god please don't :cripes:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
More BWM less D&D please!! :(

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Don't do this derail, nothing good can come of it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've got a textbook case of investing wrong here.
This was a few months back, right as the markets started to nosedive. Remember that one day, when everything seemed to suddenly poo poo the bed? Well, all day long, my boss was either watching his phone, his computer monitor, or BNN. You could see he was very nervous. At the end of the day he tells me he's relieved that he managed to sell most everything before he lost it all. He was totally caught up in the panic "SELL EVERYTHING NOW". Good job fella, you managed to sell low. He'll be buying right back in once things appear to be recovering. Pretty much exactly buying high, selling low.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Can we please keep D&D out of this thread? This is the thread for feeling good about ourselves for not being the BWM people, not the thread where we're reminded that people on the internet like to argue about the world's problems.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Asking for posters to plz avoid derails has never been effective. I just shut my eyes and scroll past debates without bothering.

Seriously it happens in every thread ever and it's not going away so may as well ignore it or enjoy the ride.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Marco Rubio is Bad With Money.

quote:

WEST MIAMI, Fla. - For years, Senator Marco Rubio struggled under the weight of student debt, mortgages and an extra loan against the value of his home totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars. But in 2012, financial salvation seemed to have arrived: A publisher paid him $800,000 to write a book about growing up as the son of Cuban immigrants.

In speeches, Mr. Rubio, a Florida Republican, spoke of his prudent plan for using the cash to finally pay off his law school loans, expressing relief that he no longer owed "a lady named Sallie Mae," as he once called the lender.

But at the same time, he splurged on an extravagant purchase: $80,000 for a luxury speedboat, state records show. At the time, Mr. Rubio confided to a friend that it was a potentially inadvisable outlay that he could not resist. The 24-foot boat, he said, fulfilled a dream.

Among the serious contenders for the presidency, Mr. Rubio stands out for his youth, for his meteoric political rise - and for the persistent doubts about his financial management, to the point that Mitt Romney's presidential campaign flagged the issue when vetting Mr. Rubio as a possible running mate in 2012, interviews show.

Many of those troubles have played out in an unusually public way, leading even some of his supporters to worry. As he rose in politics, he sometimes intermingled personal and political money - using a state Republican Party credit card years ago to pay for a paving project at his home and for travel to a family reunion, and putting his relatives on campaign payrolls.

Other moves seemed simply unwise: A few weeks ago, he disclosed that he had liquidated a $68,000 retirement account, a move that is widely discouraged by financial experts and that probably cost him about $24,000 in taxes and penalties.

In the past week, he sustained a new loss when he sold his second home in Florida's capital, Tallahassee, for $18,000 less than he and a friend paid for it a decade ago. The house had previously faced foreclosure after Mr. Rubio and his friend failed to make mortgage payments for five months.

Acknowledging Missteps

These were not isolated incidents. A review of the Rubio family's finances - including many new documents - reveals a series of decisions over the past 15 years that experts called imprudent: significant debts; a penchant to spend heavily on luxury items like the boat and the lease of a $50,000 2015 Audi Q7; a strikingly low savings rate, even when Mr. Rubio was earning large sums; and inattentive accounting that led to years of unpaid local government fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Forget the presidency, this guy has financial problems that would disqualify him from being a bank teller. People like him in the Senate really explains a lot of things.

• Locked thread