Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

it sure is loving nice fighting level 45 summoners in the arena as a level 23 blade master

i even took 1 round holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Junghado is a fun fight. Beat him with just infernal jewelry and true profane weapon as a kfm. Could have made it easier if I used the misty woods necklace. I don't know how all these other KFMs are struggling unless they have a weapon weaker than that.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Det_no posted:

I dunno. Hadn't played an mmo in a couple years but they seem pretty loving stingy with player services considering how hard they are whaling.

No money drops without premium.
No free wardrobe.
Two measly character slots.
Character bound outfits.
No player mailing unless you've paid (what the gently caress, seriously).
Insanely expensive outfits, not to mention RNG boxes. (Plus that puffy coat was free in taiwan through an event, according to a friend.)
Limited AH listings.
Limited inventory.
Training tickets, character appearance tickets, weapon skins and other consumables.
The disappearance of outfit salvaging, so you can't craft more stuff with fabric.
lovely spin dash with nary any important items.
The whole premium bonus experience/money/etc thing AND tiers of premium, to boot.

Like... holy poo poo, dude. Laughing at the guy that blows a thousand dollars in boxes is a jolly good time but you'd think they'd do premium OR RNG boxes OR super expensive outfits, not all of it at the same time.

They might or might not make changes once they see how much money they can reliably pull but right now they are pretty heavy handed about it.
I get that the Korean version is the original, and subscription based, but what about the Taiwanese and Chinese versions? The little I've read makes it sound like they're getting a better deal than us on a lot of stuff.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I haven't made much headway yet on Mushin's Tower as an FM. I wonder if I'm going the wrong way or something, because the archer on the first floor put a hole straight THROUGH me...

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Amante posted:

I get that the Korean version is the original, and subscription based, but what about the Taiwanese and Chinese versions? The little I've read makes it sound like they're getting a better deal than us on a lot of stuff.

They're both F2P. China is very pay to win though, literally legendary weapons for sale in the cash shop and poo poo. Taiwan is much more similar to what we are, except that, like I said earlier, their daily dash, surveys, etc. are different due to being on the lv50 patch and all the differences with that in terms of items and stuff. Some of this stuff they're holding off on for awhile since our region is brand new and they don't want to gently caress with the economy too hard just yet.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

cathead posted:

They're both F2P. China is very pay to win though, literally legendary weapons for sale in the cash shop and poo poo. Taiwan is much more similar to what we are, except that, like I said earlier, their daily dash, surveys, etc. are different due to being on the lv50 patch and all the differences with that in terms of items and stuff. Some of this stuff they're holding off on for awhile since our region is brand new and they don't want to gently caress with the economy too hard just yet.

Have any of them beyond KR actually had server merges in the past? I know NCWest has "requested" server transfers to the dev team, but the official response reads like they don't plan to implement it.
I'm just worried since I'm getting the feeling that you might not be able to 3-man the 24-man bosses like you can in E. Fleet later on.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

cathead posted:

Some of this stuff they're holding off on for awhile since our region is brand new and they don't want to gently caress with the economy too hard just yet.

This makes me hopeful that they are, in fact, planning for the long-term health of the game.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

jaffyjaffy posted:

Have any of them beyond KR actually had server merges in the past? I know NCWest has "requested" server transfers to the dev team, but the official response reads like they don't plan to implement it.
I'm just worried since I'm getting the feeling that you might not be able to 3-man the 24-man bosses like you can in E. Fleet later on.

No server merges that I've heard of. The game is VERY popular in most of the other regions though, so they probably haven't been needed yet.

GlitchThief posted:

This makes me hopeful that they are, in fact, planning for the long-term health of the game.

Yeah but on the other hand it makes people feel kinda lovely when they can't get hongmoon coins as easily or daily dash gives a bunch of minor poo poo right now, so I guess it's kind of a tradeoff you have to make, hopefully in return for better long-term.

Like I said, it's pretty hard to tell how much of some of this stuff is on purpose, with NCWest just feeling out how western users respond or trying to bring in extra revenue, and how much of it is like, just weird poo poo that happens due to the game being ported over with certain systems and ideas that may have worked better in Korea than they do here, or stuff that might change later due to 45cap vs 50cap. A lot of that is things that you can't easily change quickly since you generally need to go back to Korea for major system changes.

I know people like to dump on NCSoft a lot but, when I see guys like Jonathan Lien (assistant producer, he's usually on the streams) who loves the game and was playing it in other regions before he even signed on with NCSoft, and how he talks about his excitement for the future of the game and stuff they have planned (on his personal stream even, not even in an official capacity), I just find it hard to believe they're actively trying to gently caress the players over at all. Not that people's complaints don't need to be heard, or that they haven't made some dumb mistakes already, but I don't think those decisions were out of greed or malice.

I dunno, we'll just have to see where the game goes from here.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A lot of the issues with B&S monetization sound bad but in practice they are a complete wet fart. Like people mentioning money not dropping from mobs being a big thing, its not. Its completely negligible at all level ranges. The game also gives you enough tools and mechanics where bagspace is at most a minor inconvenience, having to feed your gear dropped loot earlier or having to turn your soul shields into dust more frequently. Character space can be solved by having multiple accounts, since there is no benefit of having extra characters right now. If they implement BoA store clothing then sure, it'll make having more characters on an account better.

The only thing I'd say its exploitative is that it targets people that clearly have OCDs. I'm sure some spergs will absolutely spend massive amount of money to unlock every gear slot just so they get an achievement. People that will continue to sub to get every single outfit in their collection and on top of that spend hundreds on gatcha boxes for rare store outfits. People that feel like missing out on pennies or a pittance of extra xp is ruining them.

VegetableBus
Sep 3, 2015
I farmed up all the pieces of lvl 20 Blight soul shield set, but just realized they require 3 hongmoon unsealing charms a piece to open. That's 24 charms, which would clear me out. Is this actually worth it?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

VegetableBus posted:

I farmed up all the pieces of lvl 20 Blight soul shield set, but just realized they require 3 hongmoon unsealing charms a piece to open. That's 24 charms, which would clear me out. Is this actually worth it?

No, you'll be replacing it soon enough.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

VegetableBus posted:

I did that and felt really stupid about it afterwards. The Viridian Valor set will do you just fine for leveling.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I got kicked from Good Jobbu? I didn't play for 2 days...

E: Thanks, got back in.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 13, 2016

Styxscout
May 13, 2011

I predict a Riot
Same here, still need a re-invite on Gicer Trist

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

VegetableBus posted:

Viridian Valor > Pinchy > Profane > Moonwater Valor is what I did.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012

Hy_C posted:

Viridian Valor > Pinchy > Profane > Moonwater Valor is what I did.

I went with Viridian Valor -> Cinderlands Unsung -> Cinderlands Renowned -> Moonwater Unsung -> Moonwater Renowned, but that's mostly because I did all the sub-quests along the way instead of skipping most of them to accelerate up to 45 as soon as possible. While it meant you didn't have to farm field bosses or dungeons for sets, it does mean you have to do a lot of sub-quests/dailies that give out those stones to have enough for the upgrades.

Note that for getting the Soul Shield achievements, you must equip the parts at least once - you'll always be out of unsealing charms if you're doing this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Det_no posted:

No player mailing unless you've paid (what the gently caress, seriously).
Limited AH listings.

I'm pretty sure these are good things. How much spam mail have you received from bots in game so far? I've had zero.

Now compare that with the Archeage experience :v:

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Karistar posted:

but that's mostly because I did all the sub-quests along the way instead of skipping most of them to accelerate up to 45 as soon as possible.

Is this viable? How many sub quests do you have to do? Just go back and do enough to get to the level req every time the main quest says <level 24> or whatever?

occluded fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 13, 2016

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Doing the subquests that align with the main is usually enough.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This last patch did something to the engine and I'm getting so much stuttering that it's nigh-unplayable :( Every couple of seconds it'll skip, making me miss attacks and jumps, not to mention giving me a headache.

Does anyone else here experience this, and do any of you have any idea how to mitigate it if possible?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only stuttering I get seem to be loading issues when I'm running around from time to time. Also places with a lot of player and NPCs will absolutely tank my performance to the 30s when I usually get 90+ most of the time.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I'm seeing huge swarms of chinese summoners (seriously, all of them) lagging up the Talus base in MW because they're farming the terrors 24/7 lately, it renders the game literally unplayable unless you have everything set to 0 in advance, and even then their huge cloud of lovely pings will still cause problems. It's stupid.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free
Can I get an invite on Mushin whenever possible? Character name is: Renn Azi

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

central posted:

Can I get an invite on Mushin whenever possible? Character name is: Renn Azi

Last time I asked on Discord, it was still full. If there are any slots I'd like one as well, please - character name is Afro Kobe.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I got the zen bean from PvP for my summoner. Its amazing! You go from 5 free shots of super sunflower to 8 shots. I've gotten better at not overlapping my dots too much now so I am able to keep my super sunflower stacks up. Its a huge spike of damage whenever it goes off. Totally worth the time spent grinding arena.

At least for PvE. In PvP its completely useless because I have never gotten saturation off ever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have finally concluded my business with Dura. Her outfit does in fact exist, I was just extraordinarily unlucky, I guess.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

For some reason, I got purged from Good Jobbu despite being fairly active.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

chumbler posted:

I have finally concluded my business with Dura. Her outfit does in fact exist, I was just extraordinarily unlucky, I guess.

What was the total run count?

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Finally beat that rear end in a top hat Junghado on Mushin floor 7. Learning what his abilities do is what let me plan how to react to his dumb bs sub 30%. So what should I do with these Warrior's tokens? Should I be saving them for something in the future or gamble on soul shield pieces?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

jaffyjaffy posted:

What was the total run count?

Judging by the number of health potions and dumplings I have, easily at least 250. Each run only took like 2-3 minutes, mostly just slow in-combat plodding to the end of the dungeon to wipe out everything at once, and was entirely brainless. I just did it while listening to the news or podcasts. By contrast, I've gotten beast hunter and many of the wheel of fate outfits in probably fewer than 50.

This is not a ringing endorsement for this game, NCsoft.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 14, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's also not a particularly strong condemnation of the game either. You had horrible luck and on top of that having a few stupidly rare cosmetic items isn't that bad.

Though I can definitely empathize when it's that one item you really want, it sucks.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 14, 2016

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

DemonMage posted:

It's also not a particularly strong condemnation of the game either. You had horrible luck and on top of that having a few stupidly rare cosmetic items isn't that bad.

Though I can definitely empathize when it's that one item you really want, it sucks.

That is the big reason why I don't want to remake my Assassin now that I'm hopping servers with some friends; I know drat well I won't have the luck with Dark Sandstorm that I had with my current character.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I think having super rare outfits that drop in dungeons is a good thing in a game rife with cash shop outfits. Cosmetics that reward either skill (top pvp rewards, and some of the hard 4-mans that'll come later) or persistence (0.1% drop items) make people have long term personal goals and strive towards something. WoW has had this dual system of rewarding titles/achievements/mounts etc to both the high-end players as well as those who don't mind repeating something thousand times till it drops/completes. It has worked well for the most part.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
EU PvP Class Distribution

NA PvP Class Distribution

I'm done until the level 50 patch gets here.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anarkii posted:

I think having super rare outfits that drop in dungeons is a good thing in a game rife with cash shop outfits. Cosmetics that reward either skill (top pvp rewards, and some of the hard 4-mans that'll come later) or persistence (0.1% drop items) make people have long term personal goals and strive towards something. WoW has had this dual system of rewarding titles/achievements/mounts etc to both the high-end players as well as those who don't mind repeating something thousand times till it drops/completes. It has worked well for the most part.

0.1% drop items are poo poo, actually. Especially when they are something that has zero possible impact on the game's economy. The fact that MMO players are broken people doesn't mean that's actually a good system.

There is no accomplishment in luck.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

0.1% drop items are poo poo, actually. Especially when they are something that has zero possible impact on the game's economy. The fact that MMO players are broken people doesn't mean that's actually a good system.

I did two black narrows today on an alt and saw an outfit drop both times. I won the bidding on the first run.

I didn't even want the outfit but it sounded cool :shrug:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Finally managed to push through lvl 20 this week, things did start to pick up after blackram narrows and I thought the last set piece zone was nice. But man are the first 20 levels sluggish, feeling not too different from traditional MMOs.

chumbler posted:

Dumb things that keep games alive :shrug:.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Everyone was loving saying it before release "Dont pick BM if you want to pvp"

e- Seriously everyone just play summoner. Least ping reliant, ranged, plays well with other summoners, does well in pvp, has cat. Why ply anything else?

quote:

Then again I don't ever want to make a summoner because then I would have to play one of those Lyn things so I can't fault you for not wanting to do that

Look at this wrong opinion, look at it

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 14, 2016

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Fellow BM here

In case you're still around, I honestly suggest that you play another class for a while, like Destroyer or Summoner or whatever you perceive as the most powerful class. Do this even if you don't really enjoy said class. Otherwise when the level 50 patch hits, you might just think "Kung Fu Master is so op I can't handle it" instead of "Destroyer is so op I can't handle it"

This is just my guess, but I think you have the same thing going on as me I do in Dota: whenever I go up against a character that is considered more powerful than mine and I lose, I get demoralized and I'll refuse to accept that loss as legit. I'll just get angry and chalk up the loss entirely to my opponent playing a better character.

It's only after I play the hero myself that I realize that it has all kinds of weaknesses. I would also learn to feel how the hero's abilities and playstyle worked, which helps a ton when playing against the hero. In the rare few times that the hero is actually as overpowered as I presumed, I'll at least be playing a hero that forces me to take responsibility for my losses and doesn't actively piss me off to play.

So I guess if you want to get better at PvP, that's what you gotta do. I'm enough of a nerd to always want to improve so this is the kind of silly stuff I think about.

Then again I don't ever want to make a summoner because then I would have to play one of those Lyn things so I can't fault you for not wanting to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Minorkos posted:

So I guess if you want to get better at PvP, that's what you gotta do. I'm enough of a nerd to always want to improve so this is the kind of silly stuff I think about.

This isn't silly, this is actually what you have to do to get better. People who just give up right away and do poo poo like "oh I'm just not going to PvP until 50" are just going to come back and still get owned because they didn't practice and get any more knowledge about the game up until then. Like, if you're using numbers and poo poo as an excuse to not work at getting better then you've already lost, it doesn't matter what class you're playing.

Yeah the balance is a bit hosed right now, but learning the fundamentals and how the various classes and matchups work is still necessary to progress. poo poo man, even summoners need to know that kind of stuff, otherwise they just get trucked over by good destroyers and KFMs.

Like I always say, just pretend you're Goku training with weighted clothes. When the weights come off at 50 you will be all the better because you'll already have the core knowledge to work off of and use your new tools in the most effective way.

• Locked thread