Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Celexi posted:

it isn't about the base rate but that cpu fluctuations or intensive cpu use add a poo poo ton of input lag. if you never did anything that made that happen is because you probably never did anything that stressed the CPU, unless it were to be a usb 3 keyboard or thunderbolt/firewire with direct bus access but that doesn't exist.

unless you like having input lag when working or editing i guess

holy poo poo, you're doing exactly the same as audiophiles complaining about jitter with digital signals

the cpu fluctuations caused input lag, this would not have happened if i had a 20 year old computer that had ps/2 ports :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

does ps2 still have that behavior where if you unplug a device you have to reboot the whole machine b/c if you plug it back in the system won't realize its there

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

fritz posted:

does ps2 still have that behavior where if you unplug a device you have to reboot the whole machine b/c if you plug it back in the system won't realize its there

largely, yes. ps/2 isn't hot pluggable.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wheany posted:

holy poo poo, you're doing exactly the same as audiophiles complaining about jitter with digital signals

the cpu fluctuations caused input lag, this would not have happened if i had a 20 year old computer that had ps/2 ports :qq:

i honestly can't remember the last time i had something like the desktop cursor freeze up because of high cpu usage. maybe back on win xp with a single core after setting a process to realtime? i just remember it was a long time ago.

if an application is lagging it's probably just not running the os event loop enough.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
put your mouse on a crystal mouse pad to solve signal integrity issues. please call me for a quote and free crystal mouse pad consultation.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
the year of docker on the desktop

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
PS/2 and serial connections have a warmer feel then usb

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PS/2 can support N-key rollover while no USB HID keyboard in the history of USB HID keyboards has ever implemented anything other than the USB HID Book Protocol keyboard which is limited to 6-key rollover.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Wheany posted:

most modern workstations and desktops have ps/2 ports so you dont really need a 20 year old computer

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

most modern workstations and desktops have ps/2 ports so you dont really need a 20 year old computer

Umm

Not in the past 5 years

Especially if your org is going to laptops

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Celexi posted:

usb has no direct bus access except USB 3 or thunderbolt, so regular usb can not send interrupts same way ps/2 does

same plug different types of water flowing on the pipes!!

one pipe is full of piss and the other poo poo

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

theultimo posted:

Umm

Not in the past 5 years

Especially if your org is going to laptops

well all modern ones i seen have, laptops yeah sure you need a keyboard lol

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

well all modern ones i seen have, laptops yeah sure you need a keyboard lol

Laptops that never move and basically desktops yeah

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
http://www.alldea.si/media/uploads/slike/izdelki/Precision/T5810.pdf

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the precision workstation you can clearly see 2 ps/2 ports listed there

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

this entire digression into the details of keyboard protocols is purestrain linux. the reason why I agreed with NBSD about it being possibly related to usb is due to how the drivers load while the comp is booting. if you are early in the boot sequence (for example, you're being prompted for the encryption key to unlock the root) you have drivers for input, but you do not have the full kernel loaded and are not there at the shell with the standard userland yet. And so you may find yourself being prompted to type some poo poo and find you have no keyboard

in those situations, plugging in a ps/2 keyboard if available may be preferable to janitoring your early boot process, or attempting to work with the devs to change the behavior

and yes that can and will happen with a modern system

lol at the discussion though

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

this entire digression into the details of keyboard protocols is purestrain linux. the reason why I agreed with NBSD about it being possibly related to usb is due to how the drivers load while the comp is booting. if you are early in the boot sequence (for example, you're being prompted for the encryption key to unlock the root) you have drivers for input, but you do not have the full kernel loaded and are not there at the shell with the standard userland yet. And so you may find yourself being prompted to type some poo poo and find you have no keyboard

in those situations, plugging in a ps/2 keyboard if available may be preferable to janitoring your early boot process, or attempting to work with the devs to change the behavior

and yes that can and will happen with a modern system

lol at the discussion though

lol. a "modern" system.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

theultimo posted:

Laptops that never move and basically desktops yeah

lol thank god i haven't seen one of these in two years. nothing but problems if you try to dock or undock. You might as well reboot if you plan on taking it off the dock. so many xrandr scripts..

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my Bluetooth mouse works perfectly with OS X FYI

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
until your mac forgets it has a bluetooth radio

and then you have to reset yourself

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

broken clock opsec posted:

until your mac forgets it has a bluetooth radio

and then you have to reset yourself

I remember when you had to literally command line disable the Bluetooth or it would crash in an iBook g4

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Barnyard Protein posted:

put your mouse on a crystal mouse pad to solve signal integrity issues. please call me for a quote and free crystal mouse pad consultation.

no, just outline your mouse pad with green marker

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

b0red posted:

lol thank god i haven't seen one of these in two years. nothing but problems if you try to dock or undock. You might as well reboot if you plan on taking it off the dock. so many xrandr scripts..

my thinkpad pri dock works absolutely perfectly to the point where I probably haven't plugged anything into the laptop usb ports in months :smuggo:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because, as we have determined itt, usb doesn't work on Linux

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

because, as we have determined itt, usb doesn't work on Linux

neither does anything else

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
this is true if your threshold for "works" is "there is literally no single device anywhere in the world where this has ever failed"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just reporting the facts here

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

PS/2 can support N-key rollover while no USB HID keyboard in the history of USB HID keyboards has ever implemented anything other than the USB HID Book Protocol keyboard which is limited to 6-key rollover.

The newest DAS keyboard allegedly supports n-key rollover without the PS/2 dongle now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Truga posted:

The newest DAS keyboard allegedly supports n-key rollover without the PS/2 dongle now.

without a lovely proprietary driver?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it explicitly says no drivers

which makes sense because HID supports NKRO, but until now everybody bought the same off-the-shelf HID BP controller instead of designing their own

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

my Bluetooth mouse works perfectly with OS X FYI

I have that known fuckin Bluetooth bug where sometimes it won't accept devices after sleeping until you click on the wifi menu
it was real bad in 10.10 but has gotten much better in 10.11

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

which makes sense because HID supports NKRO, but until now everybody bought the same off-the-shelf HID BP controller instead of designing their own

neat

how many people do need nkro though? i'm typing on a unicomp with 2kro and it's needs suiting

e: just checked, apparently actually 4-6kro in practice with technically 2kro for certain key combinations, lol i didn't even notice

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 13, 2016

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

are they doing it correctly, or are they using a trick like reporting the keyboard as a hub with 20 other keyboards attached?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

neat

how many people do need nkro though? i'm typing on a unicomp with 2kro and it's needs suiting

e: just checked, apparently actually 4-6kro in practice with technically 2kro for certain key combinations, lol i didn't even notice

blind users need nkro to author braille

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The_Franz posted:

are they doing it correctly, or are they using a trick like reporting the keyboard as a hub with 20 other keyboards attached?

that would be hilarious, but I'm not going to buy a das keyboard to check

edit:

pre:
0x05, 0x01,        // Usage Page (Generic Desktop Ctrls)
0x09, 0x80,        // Usage (Sys Control)
0xA1, 0x01,        // Collection (Application)
0x85, 0x02,        //   Report ID (2)
0x09, 0x81,        //   Usage (Sys Power Down)
0x09, 0x82,        //   Usage (Sys Sleep)
0x09, 0x83,        //   Usage (Sys Wake Up)
0x15, 0x00,        //   Logical Minimum (0)
0x25, 0x01,        //   Logical Maximum (1)
0x75, 0x01,        //   Report Size (1)
0x95, 0x03,        //   Report Count (3)
0x81, 0x06,        //   Input (Data,Var,Rel,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position)
0x75, 0x05,        //   Report Size (5)
0x95, 0x01,        //   Report Count (1)
0x81, 0x01,        //   Input (Const,Array,Abs,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position)
0x06, 0x00, 0xFF,  //   Usage Page (Vendor Defined 0xFF00)
0x09, 0x01,        //   Usage (0x01)
0x85, 0x01,        //   Report ID (1)
0x26, 0xFF, 0x00,  //   Logical Maximum (255)
0x75, 0x08,        //   Report Size (8)
0x95, 0x07,        //   Report Count (7)
0xB1, 0x00,        //   Feature (Data,Array,Abs,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position,Non-volatile)
0xC0,              // End Collection
0x05, 0x0C,        // Usage Page (Consumer)
0x09, 0x01,        // Usage (Consumer Control)
0x85, 0x03,        //   Report ID (3)
0x09, 0xB5,        //   Usage (Scan Next Track)
0x09, 0xB6,        //   Usage (Scan Previous Track)
0x09, 0xB7,        //   Usage (Stop)
0x09, 0xCD,        //   Usage (Play/Pause)
0x09, 0xE2,        //   Usage (Mute)
0x09, 0xE5,        //   Usage (Bass Boost)
0x09, 0xE7,        //   Usage (Loudness)
0x09, 0xE9,        //   Usage (Volume Increment)
0x09, 0xEA,        //   Usage (Volume Decrement)
0x0A, 0x52, 0x01,  //   Usage (Bass Increment)
0x0A, 0x53, 0x01,  //   Usage (Bass Decrement)
0x0A, 0x54, 0x01,  //   Usage (Treble Increment)
0x0A, 0x55, 0x01,  //   Usage (Treble Decrement)
0x0A, 0x83, 0x01,  //   Usage (AL Consumer Control Configuration)
0x0A, 0x8A, 0x01,  //   Usage (AL Email Reader)
0x0A, 0x92, 0x01,  //   Usage (AL Calculator)
0x0A, 0x94, 0x01,  //   Usage (AL Local Machine Browser)
0x0A, 0x21, 0x02,  //   Usage (AC Search)
0x0A, 0x23, 0x02,  //   Usage (AC Home)
0x0A, 0x24, 0x02,  //   Usage (AC Back)
0x0A, 0x25, 0x02,  //   Usage (AC Forward)
0x0A, 0x26, 0x02,  //   Usage (AC Stop)
0x0A, 0x27, 0x02,  //   Usage (AC Refresh)
0x0A, 0x2A, 0x02,  //   Usage (AC Bookmarks)
0x95, 0x18,        //   Report Count (24)
0x81, 0x02,        //   Input (Data,Var,Abs,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position)

0x05, 0x01,        // Usage Page (Generic Desktop Ctrls)
0x09, 0x06,        // Usage (Keyboard)
0x05, 0x07,        //   Usage Page (Kbrd/Keypad)
0x19, 0xE0,        //   Usage Minimum (0xE0)
0x29, 0xE7,        //   Usage Maximum (0xE7)
0x95, 0x08,        //   Report Count (8)
0x81, 0x02,        //   Input (Data,Var,Abs,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position)
0x19, 0x00,        //   Usage Minimum (0x00)
0x29, 0x67,        //   Usage Maximum (0x67)
0x95, 0x68,        //   Report Count (104)
0x05, 0x08,        //   Usage Page (LEDs)
0x19, 0x01,        //   Usage Minimum (Num Lock)
0x29, 0x05,        //   Usage Maximum (Kana)
0x95, 0x05,        //   Report Count (5)
0x91, 0x02,        //   Output (Data,Var,Abs,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position,Non-volatile)
0x75, 0x03,        //   Report Size (3)
0x95, 0x01,        //   Report Count (1)
0x91, 0x01,        //   Output (Const,Array,Abs,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position,Non-volatile)

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 13, 2016

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

that would be hilarious, but I'm not going to buy a das keyboard to check

well, that's how you do it correctly. what exactly was stopping keyboard makers from doing this for the last decade? was it an issue with old motherboard bioses only supporting low-speed mode for keyboards or something like that?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
most nkro boards just have a giant switch on the back that lets you turn on a bios mode

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

well, that's how you do it correctly. what exactly was stopping keyboard makers from doing this for the last decade? was it an issue with old motherboard bioses only supporting low-speed mode for keyboards or something like that?

No that's a dada-esque abomination of a solution. The way to do it correctly is to write correct HID report descriptors.

The full USB HID specification is a complex standard that allows devices to describe an almost completely arbitrary data packet format to the OS. For instance, the packet can contain a list of up to six currently-pressed scan codes (as in HID BP), or it can contain a 256-bit bitfield independently describing the state of every key. Or any mixture of the two (dedicated bits for some keys, an array of scan codes for others). So there's no such thing as a "USB keyboard" or "USB mouse", there's just different kinds of USB HIDs containing completely arbitrary groups of inputs sending almost completely arbitrary report packets, and it's up to the OS to parse the binary metadata returned by the HID and figure out how to interpret those reports.

But there's also a simplified HID Boot Protocol specification intended for use by PC firmware that defines two hard-coded packet formats for keyboards and mice, respectively, and that's where the 6KRO restriction comes from. Except, much like PS/2, HID BP hasn't been relevant since the early 2000s since I'm pretty sure every single PC firmware out there has been able to understand full HID since forever ago.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, also Windows 95 OSR2 supported "USB" in that it supported HID BP devices and nothing else. Windows 95 OSR2 hasn't been relevant for a while either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

windows 95 owned