Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Whiz Palace posted:

Number of big league hockey teams.

Got it in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Torrannor posted:

Sooo, can we get a hint what this map is about?

It has to do with the American Dream.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guavanaut posted:

The United States of America :colbert:

Is it 'states that same-sex marriage is currently legal in'?

It's States where women are more likely than men to live in poverty

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Alabama is surprisingly literate.

Are we sure Lord Byron isn't some sort of local fast food chain?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ekuNNN posted:

Guess the map :v:

Why is alaska like half scale?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Baronjutter posted:

Why is alaska like half scale?

Is not a map intended for sea men to find his way, so the artist took some liberties

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
When they rebuilt Alaska over the remains of mexico they got lazy because it's pretty big, and made it a caricature of itself. It's now called AlaskaLand.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Well known "Mohammedan" regions: Ireland, Southern England

Also, apparently half of Latin American never converted to Catholicism.

(I'm sure the first part is caused by color fading over time, but still..)

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Percent of the population favoring a union between Canada and the United States.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nckdictator posted:

Well yeah. Don't you watch :foxnews:?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Number of people who have been killed by a falling piano.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Why are the Kuriles the same color as Japan rather than Russia?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

wdarkk posted:

Why are the Kuriles the same color as Japan rather than Russia?

Politically-loaded.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

oh the Kurils all merged together to become one giant island and were awarded to Japan

e:f;b

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Nckdictator posted:

Noted Christian countries: Somalia. Eritrea.
Noted Pagan devilworshippers: Ethiopia

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Noted Fetishits: British Columbia

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends

Nckdictator posted:

Non-Mohammedan regions: Indonesia.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Non-existent continents: Antarctica

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

majormonotone posted:

Got it in one.

Arizona hasn't had 2 professional hockey teams since 2009

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

HookShot posted:

Non-existent continents: Antarctica

Victoria, Enderby and Adelie Land and the South Shetlands have been discovered, thus dating this map to 1860s-1870s, but the map-maker is in denial that there's much to this Antarctica thing, his Terra Australis dreams having been crushed during childhood.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'd make fun of the west coast being labeled fetish worshippers, but I've been to San Francisco, so

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lake Albert's on the map, so it can't have been made before 1864. The map creator felt it unnecessary to mark Germany, and 'Turkey' is positioned above Bulgaria, so it's probably both before the Russo-Turkish War and the Franco-Prussian War. 1870?

e: "British America" instead of "Canada". How quickly did the latter name catch on after confederation in 1867? Might not indicate much either way, since the mapmaker is clearly a little bit of a throwback in other respects.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 13, 2016

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
1883 it looks like.

https://archive.org/details/errorschainshowf00dobb

Error's Chains: how forged and broken. A complete, graphic, and comparative history of the many strange beliefs, superstitious practices, domestic peculiarities, sacred writings, systems of philosophy, legends and traditions, customs and habits of mankind throughout the world, ancient and modern

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Schizotek posted:

Eritrea has a lot of Christians actually. Somalia not so much though. Maybe this is a map from when the Italians ran the show in that part of the world? I can't see political borders so who the gently caress knows. Also what the gently caress happened to Java?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nckdictator posted:

fetlife has strong membership in South America

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Well yeah. Don't you watch :foxnews:?

The author acknowledges the metaphor of the Kuriles as a turd being shat out of Kamchatka straight onto Japan's head.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

I'm godless New Zealand.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I'm buddhist Kolyma

twoday posted:

I'm godless New Zealand.

They're clearly Mohammedan

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

1883 it looks like.

https://archive.org/details/errorschainshowf00dobb

Error's Chains: how forged and broken. A complete, graphic, and comparative history of the many strange beliefs, superstitious practices, domestic peculiarities, sacred writings, systems of philosophy, legends and traditions, customs and habits of mankind throughout the world, ancient and modern

So the map's not even that old, the map creator was just extremely lazy, drawing straight lines everywhere and randomly dividing South America down the middle. Tough poo poo, Argentina Fetichists.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

This map seems incredibly ignorant even for its' time. Most of Far Eastern Russia is Christian and then the part across from Alaska is Buddhist? Half of South America isn't fully Catholic by this point but Australia is fully converted? Newfoundland and New Zealand are straight up blank, not even "Fetichist" lol.... Ireland, Indonesia, wtf. The mapmaker didn't even color inside the lines on some of these coastlines!

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Apologies if this has been posted before. Data is from 2013.

Torrannor posted:

Sooo, can we get a hint what this map is about?

At this point I'll just tell you that I right-click>SearchGoogleForImage on all of these "Guess the map" things as soon as I see them but don't spoil the game for the rest of you, but since the thread has moved on from this one, it's global home ownership rates. I'm not entirely sure if all the gray countries are gray because they lack data, have rates below 50%, or have outlawed home ownership but whatever, now you know what the map is. It seems weird to see such high rates in the former Eastern Bloc of Europe while seeing no data for most of South America, Asia, and Africa.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 13, 2016

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Randandal posted:

This map seems incredibly ignorant even for its' time. Most of Far Eastern Russia is Christian and then the part across from Alaska is Buddhist? Half of South America isn't fully Catholic by this point but Australia is fully converted? Newfoundland and New Zealand are straight up blank, not even "Fetichist" lol.... Ireland, Indonesia, wtf. The mapmaker didn't even color inside the lines on some of these coastlines!

Ignorant?! Nope, it's predictions on China were 100% accurate obviously. (I'm loving these phrases: "Gibraltar of Heathenism", "Buddhist Pope")

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Randandal posted:

I'm not entirely sure if all the gray countries are gray because they lack data, have rates below 50%, or have outlawed home ownership but whatever, now you know what the map is. It seems weird to see such high rates in the former Eastern Bloc of Europe while seeing no data for most of South America, Asia, and Africa.
It's OECD countries (and through the European Commission, EU countries like Bulgaria and Lithuania who are not OECD members even if they have started membership proceedures).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Here's the site I originally got the map from. It's an interesting article on the relationship between Homeownership and GDP Per Capita.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Randandal posted:

It seems weird to see such high rates in the former Eastern Bloc of Europe ...

If rents are high and houses are cheap people don't want to rent. Could be that, or a cultural thing.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

"New" Arabia?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

"New" Arabia?

The House of Saud was in the process of unifying Arabia at that time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Randandal posted:

At this point I'll just tell you that I right-click>SearchGoogleForImage on all of these "Guess the map" things as soon as I see them but don't spoil the game for the rest of you, but since the thread has moved on from this one, it's global home ownership rates. I'm not entirely sure if all the gray countries are gray because they lack data, have rates below 50%, or have outlawed home ownership but whatever, now you know what the map is. It seems weird to see such high rates in the former Eastern Bloc of Europe while seeing no data for most of South America, Asia, and Africa.

In the wake of the fall of communist rule, most of the eastern bloc countries set up programs such that your old government granted but technically just rented apartment/house/whatever would become owned by you at a very low cost. As a result, tons of people are now living in homes they own, which in a typical Western city would merely be long term rentals.

Also Scandinavia recently had a fad for converting rental apartments/homes into condos, which also counts as home ownership. Something to do with tax benefits, I think? They barely had any condo-type ownership before the 70s.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

fishmech posted:

Also Scandinavia recently had a fad for converting rental apartments/homes into condos, which also counts as home ownership. Something to do with tax benefits, I think? They barely had any condo-type ownership before the 70s.

They also have hosed up interest-only mortgages. So you get some huge mortgage on an over-valued condo, but only pay the interest, not the principle. You never touch the principle so never "pay off" your mortgage, it's almost like a weird never ending lease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Finland and Sweden have encouraged home ownership with tax breaks far beyond what would be rational. Sweden has the interest-only mortgages on top of that as well.