Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Alternatively, don't focus too much on what character is what job and pick whatever sounds coolest or, like I did, pick jobs completely at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I played IZJS like a year ago and while I didn't finish the game it did make me like FF12 a lot more than I did the first time I played, but the first time I played it I was 17 and what does a 17 year old know about anything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know that I played all the best games ever made when I was 17

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sakurazuka posted:

I know that I played all the best games ever made when I was 17

2015 was a pretty great video game year for sure.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hey, Sochen Cave Palace: a hallway full of party-wiping traps after a difficult boss is not loving funny! :argh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AlphaKretin posted:

Hey, Sochen Cave Palace: a hallway full of party-wiping traps after a difficult boss is not loving funny! :argh:

Use Libra, it'll reveal all traps.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh my God what is wrong with Archades? First they decide FF2 had a really good thing going and it's a pity future games threw out the keyword system, and now Draklor labs. :sigh: This would be way less tedious if each bulkhead swap didn't take two loading screens.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Archades segments as a whole seem really rushed.

"Okay guys, we have the Sochen Cave Palace and Draklor. We need to put something in between them in the next week or we can't ship on time."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really like Final Fantasy, it's probably my favorite video game franchise.

What's the best part of Final Fantasy? Every game is so unique, it can often be hard to tell. In my opinion, I think it's the great music and graphics that help bring the magical worlds to life, but everyone is different.

What is your favorite part of Final Fantasy, Internet friends?

My favorite part of any FF game is staggering enemies in XIII and launching them into the air. I've done it probably thousands of times now and it's satisfying everytime.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I could use computers at all I would make a mod for FFXIII PC that would let you launch anything that got staggered, because sometimes for bosses and some huge enemies like the Gran Pulse turtles, they just glow slightly yellow and take more damage. It would probably break the camera and stuff to throw them around wildly but maybe a good PC could handle it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Schwartzcough posted:

Basch also makes a good Time Mage; he'll do good damage with the Crossbows TMs get, and your second team needs a way to hit Flyers anyway. Time Mages also get heavy armor for even more strength bonuses, and since most of their spells are status-based and don't require a high magic score, a low natural magic ability doesn't matter much.

Monks unlock Telekinesis, which allows them to hit flying enemies.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh my God what is wrong with Archades? First they decide FF2 had a really good thing going and it's a pity future games threw out the keyword system, and now Draklor labs. :sigh: This would be way less tedious if each bulkhead swap didn't take two loading screens.

I'm not going to lie, those power ranger tomato bosses that you have to fight before getting into Archades kicked my rear end.

EDIT:

mandatory lesbian posted:

my favorite final fantasy at the moment is Digimon: Cyber Story

I've never played a single Digimon game after Digimon World burned me. I got as far as I could in that game before I just quit from frustration. Despite that, I love the series. How's Cyber Sleuth?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Digimon World is a game where your monster can turn into a giant turd that eats other turds.

Digimon World is an objectively amazing game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cyber sleuth has nothing in common with world really

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

I've never played a single Digimon game after Digimon World burned me. I got as far as I could in that game before I just quit from frustration. Despite that, I love the series. How's Cyber Sleuth?

It's most like Digimon Dawn/Dusk, it's not really like Digimon World. it is very good, good characters, good digimon, story is actually alright. i like it alot!

also everyone excuse me calling it Cyber Story instead of Cyber Sleuth, i was slightly inebriated

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

HD DAD posted:

The Archades segments as a whole seem really rushed.

"Okay guys, we have the Sochen Cave Palace and Draklor. We need to put something in between them in the next week or we can't ship on time."

What is it with villain capitals and being poorly rushed? The same happened to Bevelle in FFX.

In Training posted:

My favorite part of any FF game is staggering enemies in XIII and launching them into the air. I've done it probably thousands of times now and it's satisfying everytime.

Oh god yes, this is the most wonderful thing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's most like Digimon Dawn/Dusk, it's not really like Digimon World. it is very good, good characters, good digimon, story is actually alright. i like it alot!

also everyone excuse me calling it Cyber Story instead of Cyber Sleuth, i was slightly inebriated

Those are all good qualities yes, but what I mean is does it have crazy anime battles and do you fight a boss/final boss where he totally just kicks your poo poo in until all your allies and enemies that went good as a result of your actions show up either physically or in spirit to provide moral support and that's enough to fully restore your HP and MP and also unlock a completely new Digivolution so the battle can start for real. It's very important to the essence of Digimon and to my personal gaming enjoyment experience that it is has those for me to use my hard earned money to play it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Cyber Sleuth is cool. I just made a jetpack wrestle dog. He levels up really fast because of all the poop monsters.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tempo 119 posted:

Cyber Sleuth is cool. I just made a jetpack wrestle dog. He levels up really fast because of all the poop monsters.

You've inspired me to check out Cyber Sleuth.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I got Cyber Sleuth when I was sick and got stuck trying to talk to everyone in the mall so I put it away and got too busy with class work to pick it up since.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It may have been mentioned already but if the iOS version of FF9 is any indication of what the PC version will be like, the speed up mechanism doesn't appear to affect the in-game timer, so if you're trying to obtain Excalibur II it's going to be much easier.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm only a couple hours into the iOS version of FF9, and it is absolutely gorgeous. It was always a very pretty game, but the higher resolution really makes the backgrounds pop, and the cleaned up character models look much better than the PS1 versions. I'm still getting used to the touch controls, which were my big concern, but they work much better than I thought they would.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Moldy Taxes posted:

I got Cyber Sleuth when I was sick and got stuck trying to talk to everyone in the mall so I put it away and got too busy with class work to pick it up since.

Why would you do that.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Gologle posted:

Why would you do that.

If you miss the plot relevant characters you need to talk to at the beginning of the game, you might actually think being told to introduce yourself to the people in the mall means talk to everyone.

I think you only actually need to find the Cafe and talk to Nokia, but it's weird to navigate the mall first time with the one way escalator that brings you up two floors and the changing camera angles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TL posted:

It was always a very pretty game, but the higher resolution really makes the backgrounds pop, and the cleaned up character models look much better than the PS1 versions.

The character models were natively at that high resolution in the assets on the PS1 disc, the PS1 just wasn't capable of drawing them :ssh:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

This minigame is awful. Poor Flan Rojo :(

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So if I set up a Gambit in 12 for "Ally: Any > Bubble", the AI will only target allies without Bubble and will otherwise move on, right?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Onmi posted:

So again "That isn't the invisible Super Weapon" Thank you for clarifying my words.

But it's not invisible... Whale Whisker N is one of the normal ultimate weapons that was added.

Even the 2nd best pole is still significantly better than unarmed.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 13, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Corvinus posted:

But it's not invisible... Whale Whisker N is one of the normal ultimate weapons that was added.

Even the 2nd best pole is still significantly better than unarmed.

Huh, so that isn't the invisible Pole? Well beat my rear end...

Speaking of Archades, I think the biggest missed opportunity is that you have to go through the Archades Slums to get to the city, and there's not a moment where Vaan or Penelo is like "Wow... now we're on the other side of it, Archades really isn't that much better off, lot of people with lovely luck."

Thought it would have been nice for the two slum orphans to you know, draw the comparison, point out life may actually be lovely in Archades.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So how the gently caress are we going to lie in wait for Cid if the only way we got in here is with Belias, which he can't have because we do? This is loving FFIV Sealed Cave bullshit, isn't it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

So how the gently caress are we going to lie in wait for Cid if the only way we got in here is with Belias, which he can't have because we do? This is loving FFIV Sealed Cave bullshit, isn't it?

Actually it's way better.

They're basically wasting your time so they can do their own thing. I absolutely love that about the villains in this game

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ah, neat.

Of course the joke answer is "what are you talking about? You already fought Demon Wall! :haw:"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Ah, neat.

Of course the joke answer is "what are you talking about? You already fought Demon Wall! :haw:"

Did you fight both Demon Wall?

Also did you know you could light the torches to slow Demon Wall?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I got my rear end kicked on the shorter one because I didn't realise it, ran to the longer one on my next attempt, and then discovered the torch thing and lost my chance to refight the shorter one by winning there. Then I heard rereading the LP FF7 Thread that he had a game breaking rare steal. :suicide:

So how people like to slot status effects and breaks into gambits? I can't figure out how to not make my characters spam them until they can't, at which point they can't so anything else either.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I got my rear end kicked on the shorter one because I didn't realise it, ran to the longer one on my next attempt, and then discovered the torch thing and lost my chance to refight the shorter one by winning there. Then I heard rereading the LP FF7 Thread that he had a game breaking rare steal. :suicide:

So how people like to slot status effects and breaks into gambits? I can't figure out how to not make my characters spam them until they can't, at which point they can't so anything else either.

It's okay you can always refight small Demon Wall.

As for Status Effects and Breaks

As for Debuff Gambits? It typically doesn't work. Manual Debuffing is usually the way to go. If you're desperate for it. Realize you probably only want to debuff at the start of the battle and Have a gambit set up across your three characters of

Foe: HP < 90%, attack - Attack
Foe: HP 100% - Debuff Spell 1/2/3

With this set-up, your debuffers will fire a Debuff at the start of battle, then the moment you actually go for Damage, will swap to Attacking as they lack a valid target for Debuffing. Keep in mind this will make them do debuffs on everything around at 100% HP.

Honestly, it's better to manually handle debuffs.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

drat, it's a tough choice between armor for my Archer and health for my WM for Shemhazai. Though I guess being spoilt for choice is better than Adrammalech's "battle lore for uhlan or WM :downs:".

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 13, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Final Fantasy XII has the best Cid, which really is saying something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

What I do is I only use gambits for stuff that I want fully automated, mostly attacking and free stuff like shades of black, buffs and maybe some cheap heals. For everything else I just use the menu.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Onmi posted:

Also did you know you could light the torches to slow Demon Wall?

WHAT THE gently caress. WHAT THE gently caress?!?! Do you know how many times I died because I couldn't deal enough damage in time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gologle posted:

The last time I ever cried at a video game was Zack's final scenes facing the Shinra army and afterwards talking to Cloud. If the Final Fantasy Seven Remake is anything like that, it's going to be a drat good game. The slots rolling during the fighting reminded me of the last time I was ever happy, when I was growing up in the great rural fields of Alabama. We had a bloodhound that my stepfather apparently got at a stray dog pound. He was only a small puppy when I was only four, so we grew up together. I can still remember running through the farmlands that stretched for miles in all direction with him running right alongside me. We did everything together, he was my best friend because living in such a community everybody is kind of isolated from everybody else. He was the faithful and loyal family dog for almost ten years but then he got rabies from playing in the woods. He loved to go in the woods sniffing after everything and apparently something bit him and infected him. My stepdad took us down to the dog clinic that was thirty minutes away and he made me watch as they euthanized our dog to teach me a lesson about death. Watching those slots as Zack recalls his connections with his friends and the moments that made up his life really chrono triggered me.

i hate you