Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have thoughts on the native policies? Playing my first colonial game since they got added. Have you guys found the extra settlers from the harsh policy to be worth all of the extra effort/micro? No uprisings ever is pretty tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Bort Bortles posted:

Oh god this looks loving awful. I hate espionage in videogames and this looks like micromanagement hell. The AI will get the ability to sabotage every aspect of my country without me being able to do a thing about it, unless there are ways to get better Spy Defense. There are zero ways to actively try to improve my legitimacy yet there will be an espionage action to to hurt Legitimacy? GREAT.

The legitimacy thing is already in the game. All that's changing is that there'll be a way to counter it that you can actually have an effect on now, rather than it being completely random.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the native policies? Playing my first colonial game since they got added. Have you guys found the extra settlers from the harsh policy to be worth all of the extra effort/micro? No uprisings ever is pretty tempting.
I have been curious about this as well. I dont find the micro that bad for maintaining a defensive garrison in the colonial games I have played thus far so I heave kept the +20 while facing revolts. I forget, though, what is the bonus for keeping the Natives in a province around? I have occasionally used the 50MP "destroy natives" button when a war started and I couldnt keep my army on a province.

Koramei posted:

The legitimacy thing is already in the game. All that's changing is that there'll be a way to counter it that you can actually have an effect on now, rather than it being completely random.
Well poo poo. I thought the DD was saying that those options would all be available to everyone - misread it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bort Bortles posted:

I have been curious about this as well. I dont find the micro that bad for maintaining a defensive garrison in the colonial games I have played thus far so I heave kept the +20 while facing revolts. I forget, though, what is the bonus for keeping the Natives in a province around? I have occasionally used the 50MP "destroy natives" button when a war started and I couldnt keep my army on a province.

Native assimilation gives you +goods produced, so 50% native assimilation in a province with 0.5 goods produced will make it 0.75.

Unless you're colonizing Africa and the revolts are from 9k angry, max ferocity Zulus, it's usually enough to park mini-stacks of 2k infantry on all current colonies (which is usually 2 or 3 tops, so not a big hit on your total army hopefully unless you're kind of small) and be done with it. The global +20 settler increase isn't that great though, might be good early on but later, tech and policies will kinda make it obsolete.

I would go with the -100% revolt only if you really can't spare the soldiers, otherwise -50% revolt +50% assimilation sounds best (especially if you have lots of nice trade goods like furs, sugar, tea etc.. because +goods produced is awesome, even more so if you're going to keep direct control of the province) but it's kind of a personal preference. If you want colonies to finish faster and you can park some stacks, by all means go for the +20 settlers.

Or just be France and implement the -50% revolt +50% assimilation policy so that, coupled with your -50% +50% from NI should give you no revolts and 100% assimilation so double goods produced. Sounds pretty good, but I've never been able to start a colonizer game with France, there's just too many people to beat up and steal candy from in Europe...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 11, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Does Native Assimilation actually work now? Because it didn't before.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Native assimilation gives you +goods produced, so 50% native assimilation in a province with 0.5 goods produced will make it 0.75.

No. Assimilation only increases the goods produced by the natives, which is determined by the native population. You only get 0.05 GP for every 1000 natives, so the amount increased by bonus assimilation is very small in most provinces.

As far as policies go, co-existence is vastly superior to the others, just because it cuts down on the micromanagement needed.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
So what can I do if the AI screws me over in a peace deal after it announced in green lettering that I would get land?
I get nothing out of it if I stamp my foot and leave them, so is this WAD that the AI just lies to me or what ?

I'm really getting salty :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

skipThings posted:

So what can I do if the AI screws me over in a peace deal after it announced in green lettering that I would get land?
I get nothing out of it if I stamp my foot and leave them, so is this WAD that the AI just lies to me or what ?

I'm really getting salty :(

Human AI parity achieved.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know if the production bonus that Ternate and Tidore get (that you see floating over their provinces in the Trade mapmode) goes away if you conquer them?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fister Roboto posted:

No. Assimilation only increases the goods produced by the natives, which is determined by the native population. You only get 0.05 GP for every 1000 natives, so the amount increased by bonus assimilation is very small in most provinces.

As far as policies go, co-existence is vastly superior to the others, just because it cuts down on the micromanagement needed.

Whoops I thought my version was a little too convenient. Oh well still better than +20 settlers.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
+20 settlers is huge for the early game, it's more than double for a lot of regions.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Anyone know if the production bonus that Ternate and Tidore get (that you see floating over their provinces in the Trade mapmode) goes away if you conquer them?

It, and other province based bonuses (Tirol, the one in Sweden, the one in Peru) remain without regard to province owner. It's possible there's an event that clears it, but I've never encountered it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sloshmonger posted:

It, and other province based bonuses (Tirol, the one in Sweden, the one in Peru) remain without regard to province owner. It's possible there's an event that clears it, but I've never encountered it.
Cool that is what I was hoping, thank you!

Koramei posted:

+20 settlers is huge for the early game, it's more than double for a lot of regions.
Yeah I went with that as Ethiopia simply because I needed the colonies for reasons other than the direct income I would be getting from that colony. And because a lot of the provinces I was colonizing had low native populations anyway.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What happened to the continue game button? I just went to load up the first game I started since the latest patch and it's not there. I can load the game as normal through Single Player > Saved Games but I don't have the convenient button on the main screen.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

What happened to the continue game button? I just went to load up the first game I started since the latest patch and it's not there. I can load the game as normal through Single Player > Saved Games but I don't have the convenient button on the main screen.

I think I saw one of the Paradox guys saying that for that to show up, it needs to finish calculating the checksum, which may finish after the main menu loads. Easy way to check is to go to the Single Player menu, click a save game, then go back. That'll force reload, and I've seen it come up then, so maybe there's some stuff preserved that would make the checksum finish quicker.

Then again, I can't find proof of that through a casual search and i'm not a developer, let alone at Paradox. But when you don't see it, look to the bottom left to see if it says Calculating Checksum...

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Is there any way to transfer control of provinces occupied by a vassal? I promised Savoy land to get them to join my war. Savoy and my vassal both had a claim on a province I don't want. Milan occupied it and transferred the occupation to my vassal, and I've got a big problem because I don't want to alienate Savoy.

I had the enemy revoke its Savoyard claims, and I didn't lose trust or get a relations malus so I guess the AI accepts that as good enough. Even then, I'd rather have given away more of my rival's land.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fister Roboto posted:

No discussion of colonisation is complete without me wishing I could mothball my armies. It's so stupid (not to mention expensive) having to keep the entire British Army on high alert in London because a detachment of 3000 men in North America might get attacked by natives.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gort posted:

No discussion of colonisation is complete without me wishing I could mothball my armies. It's so stupid (not to mention expensive) having to keep the entire British Army on high alert in London because a detachment of 3000 men in North America might get attacked by natives.

Other than in the very early colonisation game you can very much afford to be at low maintenance even when protecting colonies in 95% of cases (only a few African, Asian or Oceanian provinces will give you trouble).

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The really tiny ones <1000 can easily be slaughtered by using the attack natives button. 1-3 mil points every few years is definitely worth saving some money and hassle.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You long-term lose money because the province produces less goods which means less trade income (the main reason you're colonising in the first place). You'd make more money by just keeping a low-maintenance regiment on those provinces, it's not going to lose to very small native sizes anyway.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Gort posted:

I totally support this. Considering standing armies weren't even a thing in most places for quite a bit of this period, it seems silly for us to have to keep armies mobilized (and at max force limits, lest the AI think we're weak) for 500 years with no respite.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 12, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sheep posted:

I totally support this. Considering standing armies weren't even a thing in most places for quite a bit of this period, it seems silly for us to have to keep armies mobilized (and at max force limits, lest the AI think we're weak) for 500 years with no respite.

I'd sort of like to see EUV take a more complex approach to this, where you start the game with CKII style feudal levies (summon at wartime, dismissed at peace) and merc dependence, and slowly convert to standing/professional armies as the game goes on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I thought standing armies was a conscious compromise from trying to represent feudal levies to small professional forces to semi-modern mobilization. The specifics at any given time are baked into micromanaging the upkeep slider (kind of bad for the colony example) but also the relative values of mil tech based parameters and mil trad.

It wouldn't go amiss to make the army upkeep slider continental so your colonial troops are fully funded while you keep your home standing army on standby.

e. Maybe even room for something like a Quartering Acts decision where forces that aren't fully funded which are stationed in the same region as a CN can get the differing amount filled by the CN at expense to Liberty Desire.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 12, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Global slider + a slider for each army and a checkbox for if you want it to default to the global level or not seems like an easy way to solve this problem. I agree it's annoying as gently caress that I have to keep everyone at max strength just because 12,000 dudes are off fighting in Indonesia or something.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
DLC feature of the year: colonial subjects automatically station garrisons on your adjacent colonized provinces.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dibujante posted:

DLC feature of the year: colonial subjects automatically station garrisons on your adjacent colonized provinces.

Sweet christ yes, please. It'll be automatically given to you dickheads when it finishes so just send over a few guys to keep an eye on it!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Arrath posted:

Sweet christ yes, please. It'll be automatically given to you dickheads when it finishes so just send over a few guys to keep an eye on it!
I'm afraid it's historically accurate that colonists don't want to pay for their own protection.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You could represent medieval levies and modern standing armies with the current regimental system by making them act like Darker Hour's reserve divisions. Have the regiments bleed into a smaller size at peacetime which increases with administrative technology. So at 1444 in peacetime your armies sit at 10% of their strength and refill from the manpower pool, and by 1800 they can sit at 100% in peacetime. The flipside of this is you would need to rebalance everything like manpower around this and include ways to prevent countries from abusing being at war in order to attack unprepared neighbours who are at peace, and it's probably not worth it at all but you could totally do it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm afraid it's historically accurate that colonists don't want to pay for their own protection.

And really having to keep your total maintenance slider at full to maintain 6000 troops in the Americas is the best way to model the absurd costs of doing so.

But I'd love to have a proper overseas supply mechanic to model that instead.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

PittTheElder posted:

And really having to keep your total maintenance slider at full to maintain 6000 troops in the Americas is the best way to model the absurd costs of doing so.

But I'd love to have a proper overseas supply mechanic to model that instead.

I'm not sure it could be done well but it would probably produce some pretty reasonable outcomes for the mother country to pay extra upkeep for overseas troops but for there to be a colonial subject option that makes them pay for the troops instead.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
So is the Kongo the most boring start now? I decided to try for the African Power achievement, it's 1466 and all I can see is Arabia and Egypt.

At least if you're playing in North America you can no-CB on neighbors, Kongo's all alone.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I tried to do a baluchistan->mughals run but eventually got stomped on by delhi, they blob so fast. Was fun though, will definitely try it again at some point. It's not too hard to dominate the Indus trade node, but none of the provinces have much development so my army was always a bit anemic

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd totally try Morocco next but can't now that I know there's a expansion coming.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My Ethiopia game is getting stagnant...

Spain and France rival'd me. I have yet to fight the Ottomans, who are allied with Muscovy, Tunis, and Pasai. India and China are hugfests. I am fully Westernized and funneling a ton of trade to Zanzibar. With Economic and all the trade income I have all these gold mines and negative inflation.

I dont see anywhere I can go other than Persia and Songhai, who is allied to the rest of the West African minors. Baluchistan is my vassal and I am thinking of feeding them some of Persia so I dont have to pay to core it because I am way behind on Admin tech and am almost to the efficiency bonuses.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 12, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bort Bortles posted:

Spain and France rival'd me. I have yet to fight the Ottomans, who are allied with Muscovy, Tunis, and Pasai. India and China are hugfests. I am fully Westernized and funneling a ton of trade to Zanzibar. With Economic and all the trade income I have all these gold mines and negative inflation.

I dont see anywhere I can go other than Persia and Songhai, who is allied to the rest of the West African minors. Baluchistan is my vassal and I am thinking of feeding them some of Persia so I dont have to pay to core it because I am way behind on Admin tech and am almost to the efficiency bonuses.

Why aren't you going for Indonesia/India so you can funnel delicious trade to the cape/zanzibar and suck it all up?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

Why aren't you going for Indonesia/India so you can funnel delicious trade to the cape/zanzibar and suck it all up?

Bort Bortles posted:

I have yet to fight the Ottomans, who are allied with Muscovy, Tunis, and Pasai. India and China are hugfests.
I am going after Brunei right now, after that everything is a huge web of impenetrable alliances - Vij, Jaunpur, and Orissa are in a three way alliance that has like 10x the troops I do.

Is there an event that gives Madagascar fully colonized to a European country? Spain went from having nothing there to it be three fully developed cities faster than they should have been able to colonize...

edit: I think I found a chink in China's alliance's armor, going to have to abuse dragging allies of the wartarget in so I can force them to cancel alliances.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 12, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

I'd totally try Morocco next but can't now that I know there's a expansion coming.

Don't bet on that expansion coming any time soon.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

France and Spain rivalling you isn't nice. I'd say feed Persia to Baluhistan and finish up with those Mutapan provinces while you catch up on Admin. I don't know if you've been able to ally Poland but that looks like it would be prudent for when you take on the Otts. You've got plenty of time so don't worry about needing to rush anything. You can expand diplomatically in India by getting allies there to pull into wars with the Ottomans, I'm sure they'd be helpful if for no other reason than because they'll be forcing the Ottomans to divert forces on other fronts. You should also colonise Australia once you get the chance, you can get more gold income from that. Once you're more caught up in Admin tech I'd suggest hitting up west Africa. If you've been able to pick up Administrative ideas, that's gonna be even better, if not, I'm sure there's tags you can release as vassals once you take some provinces.

Just remember that you can easily take what you need from the Ottomans in less than 100 years, so plan accordingly. You still have plenty of build-up time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bort Bortles posted:

Is there an event that gives Madagascar fully colonized to a European country? Spain went from having nothing there to it be three fully developed cities faster than they should have been able to colonize...

Not to my knowledge. it's just that Spain gets an extra colonist and their final national idea boosts settler speed so they can grab the whole of Madagascar in one go and develop it fast. Plus, they've probably got better Diplomacy tech than you, so even better settler speed.

Oh yeah, and obviously you should eat Persia if at all possible. That's a lot of manpower and money. Songhai isn't a bad idea either. There's a surprising number of high-development provinces, plus some gold and exotic resources.

Who is Iraq allied to, by the way?

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So we started the war with 100k against 60k but because my allies managed to just sit there waiting while 30k engaged 20k in the next province and loads of other such lovely engagements by my allies we're now 60k vs 60k and I'm -15k manpower because of a bad battle. Poland Lithuania and Poland also keeps all their armies together while my allies keep spreading them out to be slaughtered.

• Locked thread