Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Like loving george bush is going to call someone out on a haircut among a crowd of 10000 soldiers during a 5 minute speech. I think like everyone had to get high and tights it was amazing.

Bush basically got up there and said "good work, america loves you, thanks for your service" and walked off stage in less than 10 minutes.

He's a good hugger. I haven't had the opportunity to hug Obama yet. He seems more of a handshake guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I run into a lot of former/retired NCOs who think the legal authority they had in the military to treat their soldiers like poo poo also extends to their employees in the civilian world. That's probably the worst military-ism, I think.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

psydude posted:

I run into a lot of former/retired NCOs who think the legal authority they had in the military to treat their soldiers like poo poo also extends to their employees in the civilian world. That's probably the worst military-ism, I think.

I love those people because they always get flabbergasted when you laugh at them in their face

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
respect mah authoritah

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Soulex posted:

I love those people because they always get flabbergasted when you laugh at them in their face

I was never in the military (I use these threads to justify my decision to not contract) but I was a contractor and that environment is ate up with incompetent retired SNCO's who think it's fine to talk to normal people like they are privates. And yeah nothing is more fun than having a good yuck in their face when they do it. Especially when they aren't even in my department.

There are no "Ranks" in the real world, just titles and authority doesn't really cross departments.

Fake Edit: The exception being one company I was in where the owner was some fuckhead passed over for promotion twice O3 who was ate up with moto stupidity and decided he was going to try and structure everything like the Army. It worked ok for the first couple of years when he was only hiring soldiers, but when that hiring pool dwindled and the soldiers saw civilians literally going "Lol gently caress this" it created basically a cascade of people realizing there were no PCS dates in the civilian world.

I liked the bit where they tried to intimidate me into not quitting most of all.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Thank gently caress I'm in medical contracting and not intelligence or something similar.

We get like, one or two vets a quarter.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have projects with both of the DoD's derivative intelligence agencies, so I have the pleasure of dealing with retired NCOs in contractor/GS positions AND the field grade officers that are in charge of them. I've discovered that if there's one thing that both FGOs and retired NCOs have in common, it's that they like to remind civilians of how much more in the military they have been than them.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This is reaffirming my tentative decision to get out and never work in the DoD again.

"Connections" and clearance be damned, I also have certs, experience, a (useless) degree, and the loving GI Bill. I can do better than BACK IN MY DAY former NCOs.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
[edit] Double post, I guess. I don't even remember posting that last one. Cold medicine is a hell of a drug, soldiers.

... the AKO page has a loving heart on it for Valentine's Day.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 13, 2016

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

Laugh and then go to HR. :byewhore:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

This is reaffirming my tentative decision to get out and never work in the DoD again.

"Connections" and clearance be damned, I also have certs, experience, a (useless) degree, and the loving GI Bill. I can do better than BACK IN MY DAY former NCOs.

You know about VA disability, right? I'm in line for some free education when I retire next year.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

spacetoaster posted:

You know about VA disability, right? I'm in line for some free education when I retire next year.

I don't think I'm going to qualify for any disability rating. So far the only thing that's happened to me is partial hearing loss (SOLDIER! Your PPE could have prevented that!) and aches and pains in knees/ankles that come from being an idiot 30 year old who enlisted. I'll try when the time comes, but I'm expecting to get 0%. Could be worse, I guess.

Unless that's not what you're talking about. In that case, I have no idea.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

I don't think I'm going to qualify for any disability rating. So far the only thing that's happened to me is partial hearing loss (SOLDIER! Your PPE could have prevented that!) and aches and pains in knees/ankles that come from being an idiot 30 year old who enlisted. I'll try when the time comes, but I'm expecting to get 0%. Could be worse, I guess.

Unless that's not what you're talking about. In that case, I have no idea.

Doesn't matter. If you think your time in the Army didn't make your joints worse, more power to you.

Otherwise go to sick call tomorrow and get some motrin for your joint pain. That will allow you to file for VA for joint issues.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I didn't bother documenting my back injury in Afghanistan because I wanted to get done with demob earlier. In hindsight this was a bad idea.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
When I was contracting on Leatherneck, I was deep in that nicotine rush when some older guy in civilian clothes wandered up; all I mustered was a genuine, heartfelt, "What's up, sir?"

To which this old fart got all lovely and nearly yelled, "It's First Sergeant!"

I want unused to having a couple senior service members dress down but it was uncommon as gently caress, so I apologized and asked what unit he was with, where he boldly claimed he was a retired first Sergeant, and you never quit being a leader.

I don't recall my physical reaction, but I must have walked away, because I just remember being back in the warehouse, pondering what the gently caress just happened.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

I didn't bother documenting my back injury in Afghanistan because I wanted to get done with demob earlier. In hindsight this was a bad idea.

I kid you not, just going to the TMC and getting some pain pills for whatever it is will count as evidence for further investigation from the VA.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
my brother in law is a contractor who got out as a spc and has a bunch of retired 1sgs and sgms working under him, the ultimate revenge

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If something hurts, or you even think it might get worse later, get paper work supporting that right the gently caress now while you're still in and hang on to that poo poo tight. Keep it next to your social security card, birth certificate, copy of CIF clearance papers and hand receipts for anything you don't want to pay for. Keep it for years, verging on decades. When things go to poo poo later on you'll thank me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SumYungGui posted:

If something hurts, or you even think it might get worse later, get paper work supporting that right the gently caress now while you're still in and hang on to that poo poo tight. Keep it next to your social security card, birth certificate, copy of CIF clearance papers and hand receipts for anything you don't want to pay for. Keep it for years, verging on decades. When things go to poo poo later on you'll thank me.

If you're too young to care, mail that stuff to your mom to hold on to.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

spacetoaster posted:

Doesn't matter. If you think your time in the Army didn't make your joints worse, more power to you.

Otherwise go to sick call tomorrow and get some motrin for your joint pain. That will allow you to file for VA for joint issues.

Who knows if they kept any records of it, but I went multiple times back in AIT and even got x-rays and an ankle sleeve from some sports doc they had at one point. I still use it sometimes.

Is there any way to check what's in my Army medical records? Am I putting too much trust in them even having any records?

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
I stopped reading and started laughing at trust.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

I have projects with both of the DoD's derivative intelligence agencies, so I have the pleasure of dealing with retired NCOs in contractor/GS positions AND the field grade officers that are in charge of them. I've discovered that if there's one thing that both FGOs and retired NCOs have in common, it's that they like to remind civilians of how much more in the military they have been than them.

We've got the opposite problem where I work. All the senior people think that because they wear green uniforms and have adopted some military insignia its the same thing. So, the senior people think they're colonels and generals (keep in mind they skipped all the insignia between private and lieutenant, so first line supervisors wear railroad tracks). This is despite most of them being lucky to have an associate's degree, and little professinal education beyond a few 2 week courses on how not to get in trouble with the union that they ignore anyhow.

They like adopting military ideas and terms without understanding them, so we've got our own "decision making process" that mirrors MDMP except for 2 additional steps that serve no purpose beyond making them feel like they "adapted it to their needs". Recently we've discovered that METL tasks are a thing, except instead of having 4 or 5 for an entire department, they want everyone to have INDIVIDUAL METLs, and at least a dozen of them. Also, some fool around here read some book about "wildly important goals" and we should now have them because reasons, and these are also different than METL becuase really guys, they are, trust us.

We have no less than 4 field grades, but they very carefully avoid asking any of us anything about this and we very carefully avoid mentioning that we actually know about these things, for fear that once the floodgates open they'll never close again.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

Who knows if they kept any records of it, but I went multiple times back in AIT and even got x-rays and an ankle sleeve from some sports doc they had at one point. I still use it sometimes.

Is there any way to check what's in my Army medical records? Am I putting too much trust in them even having any records?

Are you still in? If you are, a trip to your HQ could land you the stuff you need. I was a deputy G-1 for 2 years and I would always use my records access to print stuff out for Soldiers who needed stuff like this.

Also, what year did you go to AIT? Everything within the last 15 years or so is digital. If you are out of the military you can fill out a records request and they'll print out and send you everything they have.

And NEVER trust any type of database or file stuff. I went to my training NCO to get my PT score for my OER and he didn't have it. Apparently they upload all the PT stuff to a database now. That database received a software "upgrade" that erased all the data.

And because he was uploading the data there was no need to keep the PT cards (in his mind). So here's me grabbing two NCO's and taking a PT test that afternoon. :derp:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm still in. AIT was about 2.5 years ago.

After reading what you've said, I think I'll try to track down whatever records there are just to add to my I-love-me book.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

I'm still in. AIT was about 2.5 years ago.

After reading what you've said, I think I'll try to track down whatever records there are just to add to my I-love-me book.

Your company should have a 42 series person working in the HQ. That is the person who can help you.

*edit* compliment her on her out of regulation hair and nails.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Can help him/will help him

two completely different things

WHERES YOUR PAC SLIP :nyd:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Can help him/will help him

two completely different things

WHERES YOUR PAC SLIP :nyd:

That's why I said to open by saying nice things about her hair/nails.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you edited that in while I was hunting for that stupid emoticon ;)

it's good advice. I would always stop by and say hi and talk poo poo with the PAC NCOs and never had any problem. Gotta grease the wheels in the Army, just like everywhere else in life.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Fat, bitchy corporal (lol) in S1 (also lol).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm always super best friends with the chow hall NCOIC.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Had a dream last night about being in my old NG unit's town during a drill weekend while they were out and about. The were all staring at me Body Snatchers style.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Soulex posted:

I was thinking about this and it made me smile. I'm not out so it isn't quite the same, but the disappointed look on an NCOs face whenever I blow off something stupid makes me so happy. At the PX awhile ago, I ran in to our ops sergeant major. It was the last day of a four day and I had the I-might-be-homeless stubble going on.

"Hey sir, you really should shave even though it's a weekend. It sends the wrong message. What would the soldiers think if they saw you looking like a hippy?"
"I don't know, maybe I'll ask them sometime. Welp, see you later."
"...okay, sir. See you tomorrow."

Sometimes the shadenfreude is the only thing that keeps me going.

Edit: missed a word

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 13, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We're now doing pushups and sit-ups every time we enter and exit the barracks, which is the only place we have to be right now.

The bullshit is creeping in. Can't wait to poo poo in a bag in some Somali village instead of pretending in front of my joes this isn't some bullshit our top is doing because he's conscientious if how we look to "big army".

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

how we look to "big army".

Who cares what the fat guys think?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I once saw my CO surfing at the beach in Wilmington and I thought it was a disgusting demonstration of poor motivation and disrupted my good order and discipline and it demotivated me into not wanting to go to Ranger School or WLC or Jumpmaster School all at the same time and then I had to smoke spice to get the image out of my head because I'm a gigantic fuckass idiot, Hooah Sergeant Major!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Wasabi the J posted:

We're now doing pushups and sit-ups every time we enter and exit the barracks, which is the only place we have to be right now.

The bullshit is creeping in. Can't wait to poo poo in a bag in some Somali village instead of pretending in front of my joes this isn't some bullshit our top is doing because he's conscientious if how we look to "big army".
lol that's some loving basic poo poo.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I am so, so glad I'm out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Rat posted:

I am so, so glad I'm out.

:feelsgood:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
time to get high and laugh at how loving poo poo it is in the army :350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what happened to the guy that was an LT in my CM BN???????????

• Locked thread