Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

tuyop posted:

I let kids hold and use my phone all the time because I'm not some kind of cartoon phone Scrooge. One dropped it once and the phone was fine and the kid was ridiculously contrite. Use your phone for your life, don't live for your phone. Namaste.

:downswords: Do you have games on your phone? :downs:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

tuyop posted:

I let kids hold and use my phone all the time because I'm not some kind of cartoon phone Scrooge. One dropped it once and the phone was fine and the kid was ridiculously contrite. Use your phone for your life, don't live for your phone. Namaste.
I mean random people that want to borrow your phone. Friends of friends and randos at the pub or on transit.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

cowofwar posted:

I mean random people that want to borrow your phone. Friends of friends and randos at the pub or on transit.

just say its almost out of battery so they can't use it. who the gently caress lets random people use their phone?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

maduin posted:

just say its almost out of battery so they can't use it. who the gently caress lets random people use their phone?

Sometimes people need something in an emergency? Human compassion usually trumps concern for an overpriced luxury toy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Get applecare+ and tell them to hand you $80 for the screen replacement.

It's not like the phone is a religious artifact, it's okay to let people touch it.

AppleCare screen replacements are $99 for 6s's making it even worse of a deal

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good, then maybe your friends will think long and hard before dropping your poo poo. Be all "okay you can borrow my phone but if you shatter it that's $100."

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
The iPhone Thread: don't be friends with poors.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Without a screen protector, this would have a been a valuable lesson for your idiot nephew in being careful of other people's electronics when you force him to replace it at full retail value.

Also, pro tip: don't trust any other human being with your phone.

Yes, these are things that are reasonable outside of an internet comment

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Anyone running the iOS 9.3 (public or developer) beta encountering any battery life issues? Mine seems to have gone somewhere between slightly worse and tanked on a 6S. Usage hasn't really changed at all since 9.2, and at the end of the day, I'm down to 20-30% instead of the usual 50-60%.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

cowofwar posted:

If someone really needs to use my phone i hold the phone while they dial and they have to use my ear buds to hear/speak.

No I'm not going to let you hold my $1,200 fragile electronic device which you will steal/ruin.

You allow other people to put headphones which are going to go into your ears into their ears? That's disgusting. I wouldn't even let someone who wasn't a close relative hold my phone up to their ear, let alone do that. Make them use speakerphone.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What i do is I hand them a piece of paper and have them write down whatever the gently caress it is they want to say/search for and then I transcribe it for them with a stylus. Literally no one is allowed to touch my phone.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I also carry nitrile gloves, because the very act that I'm using my own phone for them means they're touching it by proxy and so there has to be some kind of barrier.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Croc Monster posted:

I also carry nitrile gloves, because the very act that I'm using my own phone for them means they're touching it by proxy and so there has to be some kind of barrier.

I kept forgetting my gloves so I glued them to my phone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

dik-dik posted:

This is awesome. If it's a reasonable price I will be driving to my nearest apple store today.

I actually got one just because I wanted to see it in action. It's pretty loving cool. Can't believe it took this long to become a thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone noticed battery life on the iPhone 6 going to poo poo since the newest update? I used to consider charging the phone after two days but now it's dead if I leave it unplugged overnight. My friend also noticed the same thing.

edit:

enojy posted:

Anyone running the iOS 9.3 (public or developer) beta encountering any battery life issues? Mine seems to have gone somewhere between slightly worse and tanked on a 6S. Usage hasn't really changed at all since 9.2, and at the end of the day, I'm down to 20-30% instead of the usual 50-60%.

I've noticed it on 9.2.1

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Battery's solid as a rock here on a 6s with 9.3b3.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
In my experience, battery life has been worse on 9.2.1 compared to 9.2.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Mine remains unchanged -- 9.2.1 on a 6s+ (TSMC chip master race if that matters :smug: )

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Croc Monster posted:

Mine remains unchanged -- 9.2.1 on a 6s+ (TSMC chip master race if that matters :smug: )

7 hours last night on the trot and mine was still on 40% :allears:
Thank you Steve for the 6s+

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Has anyone noticed battery life on the iPhone 6 going to poo poo since the newest update? I used to consider charging the phone after two days but now it's dead if I leave it unplugged overnight. My friend also noticed the same thing.
It's TTOOL2016 and the battery panel in settings can tell you what's sucking up the juice.

Common culprit is usually facebook, as an app that can decide to be a complete poo poo out of the blue.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Reminder that the mobile Facebook website is perfectly serviceable too. I consider myself a pretty standard user and haven't had the desire to redownload the app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Facebook app is doing all sorts of weird poo poo to my feed like ignoring people together (no they're not unfollowed) and listing things that it thinks I'll like versus doing it chronologically which is what I want and I can't make this the default.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Facebook on the desktop does this too, it reorders your feed into what it THINKS will be most interesting for you based on ~~algorithms~~. To be honest it's fairly accurate, if my friend posts something and people start commenting on it, Facebook will bring it to the top and show it to me, which is kinda what I'm interested in anyway, discussions amongst friends or active posts basically.

BUTTTTTT... If you want to see more from specific people, you can assign them to your 'Close Friends' list and then you'll get a notification whenever they post. If you want to view your feed as a dump of all activity in reverse chronological order, you have to go to Me > Feeds > Most Recent. Until you use it frequently enough that it becomes your Most Visited, and then you can just go Me > Most Recent. It's a bit annoying but again, Facebook *wants* to decide what to show you... and it's not like you're paying them to do what you want... On the desktop site, under Favourites on the left you'll see News Feed, there's an arrow beside it, you can click that and choose 'Most Recent'. It remembers that setting in general but likes to reset itself frequently.

Yay social media.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I deleted the FB app a few days ago. I'm using FB less overall which is probably a good thing but It'd be nice to have notifications. Is anyone using any 3rd party apps?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought one of the points of having the FB sign on as a global iOS thing was so it could push you notifications without the app.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pivo posted:

Yay social media.

Yeah, this drives me nuts. I'm on Facebook enough in a day that the only thing I ever want to see is the latest stuff at the top. On the desktop version it'll remember this for an amount of time before it decides that it's not going to anymore. The phone version thinks hiding this in a submenu is cool and good. Maybe it's cheaper for them to cache the data in a specific way and deny this in an easy fashion?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Maybe it's cheaper for them to cache the data in a specific way and deny this in an easy fashion?

I don't have friends inside Facebook anymore to ask, hah, but someone on SA probably is...

They have a huge dataset so caching might be a concern but I think it's more to do with them fine-tuning their prediction algorithms. It's easy to measure your level of interaction with the content they serve up, which allows them to build a profile about your preferences in general, which allows them to give you a news feed that you are more engaged with, which drives up engagement with the sponsored content that also exists on Facebook.

If you're aware that there's a computer deciding what to show you, it bothers you. Most people don't give a gently caress. Nerds who wonder about how backends of software services are implemented are not exactly the target market.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Funnily enough I just loaded Facebook and this was the first thing I saw

quote:

Is there a Facebook option for "I already loving saw this five times, block it from appearing in my timeline ever EVER again"?

Which is probably triggered by someone sharing the same poo poo he's seen a bunch of times (Bob or Ted or whatever that stick prick is called), but made me laugh as it sums up how I feel about what I'm complaining about. Top Posts to me is usually poo poo I've Seen All Day Already.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I think our problem is we obsessively check Facebook all day ;-)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Dugong posted:

I deleted the FB app a few days ago. I'm using FB less overall which is probably a good thing but It'd be nice to have notifications. Is anyone using any 3rd party apps?

Friendly is great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I use Paper for Facebook -- it's lightweight compared to the Facebook app and hasn't hosed me on battery usage yet, but it doesn't appear to support notifications.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Khablam posted:

It's TTOOL2016 and the battery panel in settings can tell you what's sucking up the juice.

Common culprit is usually facebook, as an app that can decide to be a complete poo poo out of the blue.

I don't have Facebook, Instagram, etc. I guess I'll check the battery panel thing at the end of the day.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

If anyone was dumb enough to fall for the 1970 date bug, if you unplug the battery, it will reflash the phone and bring it out of brick status.

For anyone who hasn't heard about this, if you change the date in your phone to 1/1/1970 and turn the device off it bricks the phone. This means that even a DFU restore will not fix the issue. The reason is that 1170 in Unix is the code for false. So when the device powers up and checks the date it throws it into a boot loop. Simply unplugging the battery will resolve the boot loop issue.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1170 is a completely meaningless value in any UNIX I ever used, not sure where that rumor could have come from.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

empty baggie posted:

For anyone who hasn't heard about this, if you change the date in your phone to 1/1/1970 and turn the device off it bricks the phone. This means that even a DFU restore will not fix the issue. The reason is that 1170 in Unix is the code for false.

100% bullshit. 1170 is not an integer value that means anything specific in UNIX or POSIX-compliant systems, nor would a date like January 1 1970 ever be represented as integer 1170. Time and dates are stored as offset of seconds from the epoch (in general, exceptions exist), which is Thursday 1 January 1970, but that would be integer 0, to represent the first second of the year 1970, as far as that system is concerned. UNIX doesn't have a "code for false". In general we take a non-zero return to mean an error condition when dealing with returns from executables, but in common systems programming languages we accept that 0 will probably usually represent 'false'. This is not always the case, just like we can't assume much about C data types, and why saying '8 bits in a byte' is technically incorrect. Platforms differ.

But representing a date of 1/1/1970 as the integer 1170, no one would do that, like do you even Y2K bro

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Pivo posted:

But representing a date of 1/1/1970 as the integer 1170, no one would do that, like do you even Y2K bro

:boom:

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
The UNIX code for false? Hahaha.

No one knows exactly what is going on in the code that's causing the error.

There's a nice succinct video on what's going on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVI87HzfskQ

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I felt obligated to warn my roommate about it once I saw that some immature trollolo made a mock-up Apple ad, advertising it as a "surprise blast from the past" to celebrate some made up anniversary. The ad looked convincing enough; it's not like it's hard to fake an Apple ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here's a succinct video that shows what that guy was talking about : http://youtu.be/dFUlAQZB9Ng