Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pulp rag posted:

iOS 9.2.1

Super strange. Worked randomly for a few minutes, then crashed again in the same way. Seems to crash on both the login and after logging in of I get enough time to let it go through.

Did the RSF change? I think that was the issue that was causing crashes maybe like a month ago - the app expects a certain forums list and craps out when it gets something different (or something like that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Hello thread I've been neglecting!

withak posted:

I've noticed that the app seems to not keep very good track of unbookmarked threads. I unmark TVIV threads (sometimes in the app, sometimes on my computer) before a new episode comes out that I can't watch right away, then catch up with the thread and re-mark after I have time to watch it. When I go to re-mark the thread through the lower-right options menu, sometimes the app shows the un-mark button, apparently thinking that I still have it bookmarked from a while back.

I think the app only updates its "is bookmarked" flag when it loads the bookmarked threads tab. That's not ideal though. I forget why it doesn't update from loading a page of the thread itself. I'll take a look.

The Kingfish posted:

Y'all need to get embedded tweets to start showing up.

I'm on board. I probably won't get on it anytime soon though :(

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also o seem to always have a copy/paste handle visible in random parts of the screen for some reason in the app now. I have no idea why.

That's been hanging around for awhile. I think it's a result of my shenanigans with the menu controller (that's the little guy that pops up to offer cut, copy, paste, select all, etc. on a selection of text).

Gorgar posted:

Would it be possible to display that there is a poll for a thread, and maybe what the options are? Or does this already work but I somehow did not enable it?

It does not currently work, you aren't missing anything. It's on the list, but that's been true for literal years at this point, so it's not super high priority unfortunately.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

If you "edit" a post then change your mind and decide to reply and make a new one it still only edits the original post.

Sorry about that, it's not very good I know. I want to put in some kind of menu or something that makes it more obvious what you're coming back to.

If you go to another thread (not just tap a link but go back to a thread list and tap a thread), it'll delete your saved draft. Best I got at the moment.

noirstronaut posted:

I don;t know if this is documented, but every time I make an SA Mart thread, the category is flipped. As in, if I post as buying from within the app, it will be selling and vice versa.

Whoops! I will take a look.

Josh Lyman posted:

In dark mode, I'd like to see the title bar darker than the current teal. Something grey or dark blue/purple would work.

spanky the dolphin posted:

That bar would look cool if it matched the bottom bar:

Sure! It's just in Themes.plist if anybody wants it done before I lazily get around do it (key is navigationBarTintColor).

quote:

Also - for some reason the thread title is slightly to the right of center. Can this be corrected?

So it is! I'll take a looksee.

pulp rag posted:

iOS 9.2.1

Super strange. Worked randomly for a few minutes, then crashed again in the same way. Seems to crash on both the login and after logging in of I get enough time to let it go through.

That's lovely. I suspect UIApplication's on to something with the forum list, though I'd need to reproduce it or check crash logs to be sure.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pokeyman posted:

Sure! It's just in Themes.plist if anybody wants it done before I lazily get around do it (key is navigationBarTintColor).

please don't.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Quick someone post a webm to test the new version!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

various cheeses posted:

Quick someone post a webm to test the new version!
http://i.imgur.com/bgoN3hl.webm

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 11, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Bug report: after hitting "Scroll to the End", I'm having a weird time getting the pull up to refresh to work.

Manually swiping to scroll down does not have the same problem.

iPhone 6, latest Awful, latest iOS.

Also, that above webm didn't automatically change into something playable. Was that not the case from the change notes?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If you have VLC installed it offers to play it using that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You can't play WebM using the built in player in iOS because Apple is heavily on the M4V side of the web video debate.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Any idea what's going on with most of my SA emoticons not autoloading pokey?

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 11, 2016

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Thwomp posted:

Bug report: after hitting "Scroll to the End", I'm having a weird time getting the pull up to refresh to work.

Manually swiping to scroll down does not have the same problem.

I've seen this on previous Awful/iOS versions as well! Don't remember if I've reported or seen others report it yet.

quote:

Also, that above webm didn't automatically change into something playable. Was that not the case from the change notes?
[fe:fb] I think that patch note meant that clicking a webm link will open it in the VLC app (which can play webm, assuming you have it installed). And it looks like it's working for me! :D

Bug re-report: despite the new Awful app, swiping quickly to close a web view still causes the thread view to become mostly unresponsive :smithcloud: although there's an interesting new twist! Even though most links do nothing but scroll the threadview down by a couple pixels, clicking on a webm link will still open it in VLC! :yayclod:

(Latest Awful released on App Store last night or this morning = v3.10, still on iOS 9.2 though)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My phone got stuck in a "ghost update" state with 3.10. The circle animation was stuck at 75%. I tried deleting it, restarting the download, etc but I just an unkillable Awful app with the placeholder icon. Eventually with a reboot and enough messing around iOS figured out it should remove it.

I don't know if that's something that can be caused by the app itself or if it's a general iOS issue, but it feels like it's happened before with Awful.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

^^^ It's not us I think. App installation is the most rickety part of iOS for me, it fucks up all the time.

Abjad Soup posted:

Bug re-report: despite the new Awful app, swiping quickly to close a web view still causes the thread view to become mostly unresponsive :smithcloud: although there's an interesting new twist! Even though most links do nothing but scroll the threadview down by a couple pixels, clicking on a webm link will still open it in VLC! :yayclod:

(Latest Awful released on App Store last night or this morning = v3.10, still on iOS 9.2 though)

Swipe a bit slower. I seriously don't know what's going on but I think it's a bug in iOS. Which reminds me I need to check my old 5 with the newest 9.3 beta, see if that issue still happens.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My test sample size of one happily reports that I quickly swiped back from a link and could continue to use the app in iOS 9.3b3.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

fourwood posted:

My test sample size of one happily reports that I quickly swiped back from a link and could continue to use the app in iOS 9.3b3.

Sweet.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

You can't play WebM using the built in player in iOS because Apple is heavily on the M4V side of the web video debate.
Luckily, any of the good imagehosts will recognize that you can't play webm and convert it to straight mp4 or whatever.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Since the new update, the app is back and working just fine.

So, now I doubly have zero idea what the problem was.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Abjad Soup posted:

why can't I see it in Updates? Is it not compatible with iOS 7? :smith:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pwn posted:

why can't I see it in Updates? Is it not compatible with iOS 7? :smith:

Hasn't been since shortly after iOS 8 came out, I think. Might not even be compatible with iOS 8 now, come to think of it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Is adding search still on the general roadmap? I'm sure it's a huge pain in the rear end but I'd like my free app to have it anyway

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
there seem to be lots of people with great ideas for app features. has anyone started a suggestions wiki yet? because someone should definitely do that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I attribute 50% of this goon project's success to the fact that it doesn't have a wiki

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I am also getting the instant crash on my iPad but not my iPhone. Both are on 9.2.1. It crashes when it tries to refresh the main forums listing. If I start the app and disable wifi it doesn't crash. From there if I browse to a forum or my boomkmarks, enable wifi and refresh the thread listing it's fine and I can read threads. It's just the main forums listing that instantly crashes.

I hope that extra early info helps track it down. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Edit: now it's crashing doing the same thing on both my iPad Air and iPhone 5. I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling. When the app tries to retrieve the forum list after the first login it crashes. Maybe zen death robot changed something in the forums listing that's causing a crash?

Number19 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 12, 2016

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Number19 posted:

I am also getting the instant crash on my iPad but not my iPhone. Both are on 9.2.1. It crashes when it tries to refresh the main forums listing. If I start the app and disable wifi it doesn't crash. From there if I browse to a forum or my boomkmarks, enable wifi and refresh the thread listing it's fine and I can read threads. It's just the main forums listing that instantly crashes.

I hope that extra early info helps track it down. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Edit: now it's crashing doing the same thing on both my iPad Air and iPhone 5. I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling. When the app tries to retrieve the forum list after the first login it crashes. Maybe zen death robot changed something in the forums listing that's causing a crash?

Same on my iPhone 6s with iOS 9.2.1
3D touching the app icon and going straight to bookmarks works but a soon as I tap on forums it crashes.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Anytime I hit a subforum expand/collapse button the app crashes. Newest version on newest ios

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Getting an instant crash here too even with a reinstall. iPhone 4S, iOS 9.2.1.

E: It's working now. :confused:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 12, 2016

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

There's been a sporadically reported forums bug where the dropdown that lets you jump to any forum only shows the top level categories (Main, Discussion, etc.) I suspect that this is the cause of the crash some people have seen. Awful uses that dropdown to populate it's forums list.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The instant crash thing has been happening with random apps for me. (9.3 beta). Rebooting usually fixes it.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Just wanted to pop back in here to say thanks for putting the nesting back for the subforums! The list is also a lot less buggy for me now.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Also seeing crashing after this update: app would come up on the thread I was last in, jump to the forum list, and crash. Force close didn't change anything, but it went away after reboot.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Force-closing and rebooting both failed to fix the crashes for me. Any time the forums listing attempts to load it crashes. Started about 2 hours ago randomly.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
I am also seeing crashing on Awful 3.10 on my iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1. I've tried uninstalling / re-installing and rebooting the phone.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'd like to put in my very highly valued input and say that I haven't had any abnormal crashes before or after the update. Iphone 6 newest ios.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hmm, so crashing is probably not the best reaction to "the forums list wasn't what we were expecting." But what would be?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Byzantine failure, OP

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I've been getting a crash before and after the update where it looks like half a post is blacked out. I'm not sure how to best describe it, but there will be posts where it looks like a black box is over the text midway through. Whenever this happens, the app will crash a few seconds later and when it reopens I will open to an older thread I had been reading.

I'll try to take a screenshot next time if that would help. This is on an iphone6s.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

Hmm, so crashing is probably not the best reaction to "the forums list wasn't what we were expecting." But what would be?

automatically posting a bug report with a banme tag

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

carry on then posted:

Is the dropdown list something that usually fixes itself on a reload, or does it last for a little while?

If the former, maybe just a "couldn't get the forums list, pull to refresh" or something.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Ima crashin! Like everyone else, main forum listing crashes immediately.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm stumped! Can't reproduce across iPhones 6, 5; iPad 4. If someone wouldn't mind posting a crash log I could try to see what specifically is happening, otherwise someone more knowledgeable than me about the code will have to look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Stopped crashing. Dunno why

• Locked thread