Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

If I had one complaint about this episode besides the length it's that it's a little weird for Frank to not know their names. I know it was mostly for fun, he was drugged for most of the episode, and you aren't supposed to think heavily about it, but he isn't senile like this portrayed.

He took a pretty nasty blow to the head just earlier this season; I figured that has been causing more of Frank's even stranger behavior. For instance, when he was being strangely affected by the art a few episodes ago.

I missed that thing about the brain tumor though. That explains a lot too.

edit: I can't believe some people didn't like this episode. It's probably one of my new favorites along with last week's entry. Well, to each their own.

PizzaProwler fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

If I had one complaint about this episode besides the length it's that it's a little weird for Frank to not know their names. I know it was mostly for fun, he was drugged for most of the episode, and you aren't supposed to think heavily about it, but he isn't senile like this portrayed.

Frank can switch from extremely lucid and clever to totally senile at the drop of a hat and he's been that way for years. Remember that time he tricked his kids into digging up their dead mother, yet kept getting confused and losing his shoes?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I wasn't a fan of this episode. I guess they can't all be winners. To bad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Air is lava! posted:

I wasn't a fan of this episode. I guess they can't all be winners. To bad.

The only part I really laughed out loud at was Frank scooping up a handful of boiling hot dogs and then using them to pay for beer at a strip club.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Frank can switch from extremely lucid and clever to totally senile at the drop of a hat and he's been that way for years. Remember that time he tricked his kids into digging up their dead mother, yet kept getting confused and losing his shoes?

He knew where they were. He flushed them. It helped him feel in control.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Let me explain the joke for you: Frank is a self centered sociopath who views people as objects that help him have fun. That's why he doesn't know their names, not because of senility.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He doesn't care what their names are. When he tries to start a new gang with that other group in their bar, he just wants them to fill the roles he's used to.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

sector_corrector posted:

Let me explain the joke for you: Frank is a self centered sociopath who views people as objects that help him have fun. That's why he doesn't know their names, not because of senility.

Let's be honest, there's way more than two possible reasons why Frank forgets Dennis's name sometimes, and more than one correct answer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Rewatching The gang solves the gas crisis and this happened

quote:

Dee: What are you expecting to find?
Frank: Lot of shady poo poo.
Dee: Like what?
Frank: Like maybe Bruce is banging dudes!
Dee: Why would that be shady?
Frank: Maybe the dudes are babies!
Dee: What?! Bruce is not banging any baby dudes!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Dave Angel posted:

Thinking back to the skiing episode, given what we know about Dave Drisko by the end of the episode... do you think he came in that burrito?

I definitely think he came in his burrito.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

sector_corrector posted:

The "these comedy show characters are sociopaths" analysis is getting really cliche I think. Maybe he is, but your explanation makes no sense since in pretty much every other episode he uses all of their names regularly. It's either the tumor, the drugs, or much more likely, a one-off joke that was just meant to be funny. Everything doesn't have to have a deeper meaning.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
he's forgotten dennis' name before.

dude's just kind of slippin...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress that episode was amazing :stare:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Has anyone pointed out that Frank was perfectly OK with not intervening while Hwang choked to death? :stare:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They also left it open whether Hwang actually died or not, though I doubt it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

They also left it open whether Hwang actually died or not, though I doubt it.

Yeah, I'll wait until we see a body to make a call one way or the other. Still though, that was pretty dark. He legitimately took pleasure in watching Hwang choke. He took his snake meat sandwich instead of trying to help him.

Old bastard should have fixed the plumbing.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That was actually the funniest moment of the episode for me in its stupid absurdity, Hwang choking to death on snake meat and then Frank taking the snake meat and immediately choking to death right next to him

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If Frank didn't die from that, it stands to reason that Hwang could've survived that as well.

Good episode, I liked how we got a view of the gang's retarded scheme from Frank's PoV, and how it got neatly tied up at the end. Some of the frantic drug-fueled segments reminded me of Crank too which is a good thing. loving toe-knife though, ugh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least it answered the question of what happened to Dennis' car.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I liked him turning down drugs to stay clearheaded, then ate drugs anyhow

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Frank's rampage was entirely awesome.

Artemis introducing frank to her parents as a "part time lover" was also funny

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Frank's rampage was entirely awesome.

Artemis introducing frank to her parents as a "part time lover" was also funny

It's always great anytime Artemis appears as a drug-induced hallucination for Frank. Her calm, encouraging voice telling Frank what to do and him obediently complying is always hilarious to me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

timp posted:

It's always great anytime Artemis appears as a drug-induced hallucination for Frank. Her calm, encouraging voice telling Frank what to do and him obediently complying is always hilarious to me.

Step into my mouth, frank

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I actually wondered during the roller rink scene if Frank was just gonna step out and shoot those dudes beating up Pondy. It seemed like too much even for the show, but they push the envelope every season and the gang has basically directly contributed to deaths already.

I thought it was 50/50 shooting guys, or driving off without Pondy. But he did right by his friend.

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Frank forgetting Dennis' name made sense to me. My grandma was pretty similar when it came to names and forgetting common words like Frank did with thumbtack. Still cognitive enough to live life day-to-day fine and without any real issues, but recalling names and words just didn't work out too well sometimes.

This episode overall I thought was good, not the most laugh worthy of all but a fun episode still.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Electromax posted:

I actually wondered during the roller rink scene if Frank was just gonna step out and shoot those dudes beating up Pondy. It seemed like too much even for the show, but they push the envelope every season and the gang has basically directly contributed to deaths already.

I thought it was 50/50 shooting guys, or driving off without Pondy. But he did right by his friend.

I dunno, that would probably be one of the first justifiable things Frank has ever done? Not exactly 100% morally upright, but at least he'd be doing it in defense of someone else instead of for shits and giggles.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I dunno, that would probably be one of the first justifiable things Frank has ever done? Not exactly 100% morally upright, but at least he'd be doing it in defense of someone else instead of for shits and giggles.

The problem here is that Pondy was getting handsy with an underage girl, so I'd think a severe beating is totally justified in this instance.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Rewatching The gang solves the gas crisis and this happened

To be fair, Stephen Collins didn't bang any baby dudes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kwyndig posted:

The problem here is that Pondy was getting handsy with an underage girl, so I'd think a severe beating is totally justified in this instance.

Oh poo poo, I actually didn't catch that part. Yeah, Frank should have just ran off.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

ZDar Fan posted:

To be fair, Stephen Collins didn't bang any baby dudes.

I thought there was a recording of him talking about putting a little boys hand on his dick or something

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Oh poo poo, I actually didn't catch that part. Yeah, Frank should have just ran off.

Like morality has ever stopped the gang. Frank was drugged out of his mind with a malignant brain tumor. He saw Pondy, who is the poo poo, getting beaten up by normies so he went Charles Bronson on their asses with a gun (and then got thrown in a trunk). He was more worried about defending Pondy, who is the poo poo, and sounding badass and doing something cool than caring that Ponderosa tried to commit pedophilia molestation.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Was Frank's drug-fueled rug theft scene an homage to anything in particular?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Easychair Bootson posted:

Was Frank's drug-fueled rug theft scene an homage to anything in particular?

uhh the big lebowski? idk not a lot of rug thefts in popular media

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

It really tied the room together.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The only problem with this episode was it's length. I loved it!

And did they have the landlord scoot by in a wheelchair at one point? I couldn't tell if that was him in the hospital or not.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I'm gonna go ahead and predict the title of the series finale based on the revelation in this episode:

Charlie's Dad Has Cancer

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

speshl guy posted:

uhh the big lebowski? idk not a lot of rug thefts in popular media
Not the rug in particular so much as the style of shooting and the music. The opening segment was reminiscent of Being John Malkovich, which isn't all that subtle given the title of the episode. The crazy rug scene was of a different style than anything I've seen on Sunny, so I thought maybe it was a specific reference.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe one of the Crank movies?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

As a fan of both Jason Statham and his Crank, I can say he doesn't ever steal a rug in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I meant more in terms of the camera work and frantic pace of the scene.