Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Broken Loose posted:

Well, that aside, it's very well-known that I believe Race is something like 75% luck. There is some skill involved, and it takes a fair few games to learn those skills (especially considering how much of the deck is deliberately obscured from the player which inhibits the learning process), but by no means is anything but luck a majority deciding factor in winning at Race for the Galaxy.

It's absolutely a luck based game! That's why the same guy has won the RFtG WBC championship 5 times in 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Oldstench posted:

It's absolutely a luck based game! That's why the same guy has won the RFtG WBC championship 5 times in 8 years.

He's really, really lucky.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

1455263531 is a pretty difficult seed, though. I've played a few games and keep ending up 1 or 2 VP shy of victory (lost on tiebreakers once...). Red hasn't won yet, but Green and Yellow keep getting a produce/consume engine up just in time.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rutibex posted:

This can not be true, if there was no skill involved then the AI would not be able to beat me so constantly :colbert:

Did I say there was no skill? Did you even read the loving bit you quoted? Jesus loving Christ.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Broken Loose posted:

Did I say there was no skill? Did you even read the loving bit you quoted? Jesus loving Christ.

Broken Loose posted:

Well, that aside, it's very well-known that I believe Race is something like 75% luck. There is some skill involved, and it takes a fair few games to learn those skills (especially considering how much of the deck is deliberately obscured from the player which inhibits the learning process), but by no means is anything but luck a majority deciding factor in winning at Race for the Galaxy.

His statement wasn't nearly as unreasonable, given what you said, as you make it sound.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I have no idea how somebody can extrapolate "no" from "minority" so often as they do from my posts. There are no black people in America. None of the mass of the Solar system exists outside of the sun. Codenames consists of 0% of board game sales. Nobody in the world is a Catholic. Homosexuals do not exist.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Broken Loose posted:

I have no idea how somebody can extrapolate "no" from "minority" so often as they do from my posts. There are no black people in America. None of the mass of the Solar system exists outside of the sun. Codenames consists of 0% of board game sales. Nobody in the world is a Catholic. Homosexuals do not exist.

But his statement that the AI always wins falsifies your statement that luck dominates over skill. You are just being pedantic about a single word he used while ignoring the thrust of his post.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
lol I love when BL gets mad at things posts.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So let's chat about Race for the Galaxy strategy. I can win games versus the AI sometimes, but in the game without expansions I can only ever win with a produce-consume strategy, and it has to be just the perfect one. And I still can't figure out why I lose or win, as in this recent game:

I mean clearly I lost because red's military/produce-consume tableau was faster at developing lots of points (and it probably leeched more than mine) but what could I have done differently? I guess when you see New Sparta you can assume a lot of settling is going on, so maybe I could have produced more cards somehow in order to settle every turn? Not sure how I would have accomplished that.

Here are some sample games that take slightly different strategies and end up close to the AI. Leeching Red's Settle calls can give you a huge advantage. It's definitely a hard seed - I'm a bit out of practice on base-game-only but the cards drawn don't lend themselves super well to an early engine, which is why I rushed Replicant Robots and trade bonuses, then leeched the constant settling to grab a blind trade on Deserted Alien Colony. Trade League didn't score too many points (5VP) but it let me coast from there to a hard tableau rush that even outsped Red's military blitz.

Broken Loose, the problem is that you're spouting hyperbolic claims that luck is the majority factor. If 51% of the time the luckier player wins that means that win rates shouldn't drop below 1 in 4...and hell, we know that isn't true because better players will handily go on far better streaks assuming they're playing at their level. The fact that there's been a consistent world champion for the better part of the last decade (and while I've never been at the WBC tables I've played at the BGA upper tables a fair bit) means that it's pretty easy to see how much the game rewards better play.

There's a claim to be made about luck of the draw in Race (and it's possible to have really, really awful starts), but given exaggerated claims that have nothing to do with the main sources of randomness in the game...it seems reasonable that people are jumping down your throat.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 12, 2016

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Broken Loose posted:

I get that you like to be super exact with your phrasing, but getting angry at people who make reasonable extrapolations from that, mainly because most people aren't as exact, is really silly.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Whoops, they didn't load. Here are the other two games - personally, I thought early on that Replicant Robots > Gem World is the optimal starting strategy since those are both really good earlygame cards and Old Earth synergizes nicely with them...so, here's two similar-but-not-identical strategies that don't use the pivot point of settle-leeching Desterted Alien Colony. The winning strategy appears to be playing Galactic Engineers before DAC and then settle-trading it on a turn you guess a Settle is coming (which is easy because 4p and Red is settling so much), so as not to lose two turns on it being consumed by Old Earth...

Try one: more produce-consume skewed.

Try two: more planet-heavy.

All-in-all out of 6 games I won 1, lost by 3 or less points on 3, lost hard on 1 where I tried going military to see if the hand supported it (it didn't), and somewhere in the middle for the very first try.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 12, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Andarel posted:

Hm, Race is one of the few games I can talk about with some authority, though it's been a while since I played super heavily - your problem is pretty easy to see here, though - and it's not got too much to do with 6-devs.

This game has a number of issues. Epsilon Eridani is useless to you, and Black Market Trading World is also pretty bad as a 6th card (and that Expedition Force is doing you no favors either). Produce-Consume is like big money: it's reliable at getting points but it's not going to win without additional card flow. I notice you're really hesitant to play windfall worlds, which is critical to winning the game - Windfalls speed you up an entire turn unless they get consumed, which means if the opponents've got no goods on the board you can set up very well for future turns and Trade is really hard to leech. I'll try and play through that game (since you posted the seed) during lunch and take a look at what the hand-shape is. But Settle-Spam should be an easy win for produce/consume if you can get card flow going, since they help you crank more and more goods every turn - but you messed it up by playing more consume outlets than producing worlds! Your tableau can eat 7 goods per turn (for a lot of points), but only produces 3... If you're playing lots of cards early game that don't really help you build up your board (Alpha Centauri took 3 whole consume turns to not be a loss, which is awful since you never used the military and you already had a consume), you're going to lose regardless of what the opponent is playing.

That's an acceptable SETI (8 points is usually around the target for it), but at first glance your board is producing 6 goods and consuming 5. See the difference? Much fewer wasted cards, and you got a solid card engine going in Replicant Robots + New Earth + Plague World letting you continue to curve into big planets. The strategy here takes advantage of Red's settle spam in order to keep building and rapidly grow your engine, which is what you needed to do in the first game (Broken Loose's commentsabout windfalls are mostly nonsense, especially w/rt the base game's meta) but you didn't have the cards to do so. Better early game plays in the first game would have easily made up that point difference, even without a 6dev (and the extra card flow would have all but guaranteed you draw one, though not necessarily a good one).

Few 6devs are great about both points and card flow, with the notable exceptions being Galactic Federation (arguably the best card in the base game because that discount is massive and it also tends to score high, but the only 6dev that really synergizes with it is New Economy), Free Trade Association (also very strong but needs blue support), and Alien Tech Institute (same as FTA, but forces you to settle a lot - but can score real high). Trade League has amazing card flow but scores low generally, and SETI tends to score high but gives no cards which is often a problem. Drawing "the perfect" 6dev late in the game is amazing, of course, and there's some luck there, but...yeah, 6devs don't have much to do with the scores in those two games.

Yeah I definitely see what you mean about my tableau in the first game, I think the problem was that I wasn't pulling any good cards I could afford, and I didn't want to sit on my rear end exploring for several turns while missing settles. The analogy to big money in Dominion is an apt one, produce-consume really is the simplest effective strategy but in that case I hadn't got the right base for it and probably should have switched strategies at some point. By contrast, in a 4 player base game last night I won with only Earth's Lost Colony, Tourist World, and a couple production worlds which made for a great early production engine even though it didn't net me any cards per cycle.

I'll pore over the games you posted in detail when I'm off work.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I have been in this thread too long. I swear we had this RFTG argument 4 or 5 years ago. Aren't there a few much better tableau builders around these days anyway?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah I definitely see what you mean about my tableau in the first game, I think the problem was that I wasn't pulling any good cards I could afford, and I didn't want to sit on my rear end exploring for several turns while missing settles. The analogy to big money in Dominion is an apt one, produce-consume really is the simplest effective strategy but in that case I hadn't got the right base for it and probably should have switched strategies at some point. By contrast, in a 4 player base game last night I won with only Earth's Lost Colony, Tourist World, and a couple production worlds which made for a great early production engine even though it didn't net me any cards per cycle.

I'll pore over the games you posted in detail when I'm off work.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, since it's good practice!) that's just a tough game. Surprisingly good starting hand, but the deck wasn't favorable to really good synergy and the opponents also had really strong starts. I managed to get together a good rush (in that game that I won) but it's tricky. I can't seem to post the generic files via attachment - is there a good way to share them? I'd rather not grab free web storage space somewhere but that might be easiest. Aiming to win that first seed consistently would be good practice because of how complex it is.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

I have been in this thread too long. I swear we had this RFTG argument 4 or 5 years ago. Aren't there a few much better tableau builders around these days anyway?

I'm not sure. Race nails both depth and brevity in a way very few games do. There are plenty of fun and interesting games in the genre but few that have anything near Race's longevity.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
It's just Broken Loose and his craziness about Race. As Rutibex implied, the fact the AI is so tough for so many people demonstrates it is principally skill driven rather than luck driven. I've beaten a friend of mine almost every game we've played (literally losing about one in twenty) and she doesn't play that badly, usually within a few points.

As far as I know Race is still top dog in its niche, with Roll for the Galaxy (ironically) being probably the next best thing. At least for me, and preferably just with base deck plus Alien Artifacts (sans Orb). That's the best the game had ever been IMO, although I haven't tried the latest expansion.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Is it ironic or just indicative of good design?

And yeah, base + AA no orb is probably the best format, though also haven't tried XI yet.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
It does seem both games have been the consequence of a lot of thoughtful design and heavy play testing. I recall on BGG discussions where the designer weighed in on certain cards in Race and the consequences for changing them, in terms of probability and flow on impacts on major strategies. He seems very across the maths that makes the whole thing work. After many plays I think it has become increasingly apparent how delicate a balancing act the whole thing is to end up with its depth and balance, obviously limited by the relatively short playtime. It's such an elegant game, a true classic like Caylus, Agricola, Twilight Struggle etc - other excellent games will come along but Race will always be playable.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Okay, dumb question. Is anyone paying David Sirlin his $10/month blood money? And if so, are the Sooper Sekret Development Podcasts actually interesting, or is it just pay-a-tenner-to-listen-to-Davey-suck-himself-off?

Cuz as much as I dislike Sirloin as a combative prick, unrepentant plagiarist, and general libertarian wankjob, I gotta admit he's a drat fine developer of games. And supposedly the Patreon podcasts go into the grit of his process for balancing and refining his game or working out specific design kinks. My question is, can he actually communicate his R&D insight, or is it just an hour long advertisement for his products?

and while I'm unemployed/working gigs, I kinda wanna sit down and see if I can turn one of my dumb ideas into a semi-functional prototype, and maybe this'll help.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Destroy everyone who has or supports a Patreon. Goddamn.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bottom Liner posted:

Destroy everyone who has or supports a Patreon. Goddamn.

Porquoi?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The signal to noise ratio is about 1000x worse than Kickstarter.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

On the other hand, it's fine for actual artists trying to make money off of their work without involving major distributors?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, but if you're paying someone to make podcasts or videos online, you're more likely to actually get what you paid for than a Kickstarter. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Side note: gently caress Sirlin.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No one who works in trad games is making even remotely close to enough money off Patreon to possibly be mad about.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

People are paying David Sirlin $2,300 a month to do a podcast. That's pretty :lol: considering he's the king of milking new versions and expensive micro expansions for all of his games. He knows exactly how to separate the maximum amount of money from nerds and is running with it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Andarel posted:

Unfortunately (or fortunately, since it's good practice!) that's just a tough game. Surprisingly good starting hand, but the deck wasn't favorable to really good synergy and the opponents also had really strong starts. I managed to get together a good rush (in that game that I won) but it's tricky. I can't seem to post the generic files via attachment - is there a good way to share them? I'd rather not grab free web storage space somewhere but that might be easiest. Aiming to win that first seed consistently would be good practice because of how complex it is.

I should definitely give the seed some more tries -- my habit of restarting if I don't like my opening plays is quite bad.

What kind of files are you trying to upload? Text files like XML can just go on pastebin.com.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I think they're extension less but that seems odd. I'll figure it out when I get back from game night.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

People are paying David Sirlin $2,300 a month to do a podcast. That's pretty :lol: considering he's the king of milking new versions and expensive micro expansions for all of his games. He knows exactly how to separate the maximum amount of money from nerds and is running with it.

Are you mad about Arab princes propping up lovely free to play games too? People can do what they want with their money.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Technically, most of them are paying to get playtest prototypes, plus early builds of the Fantasy Strike video game.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Can any wargoons speak to the COIN system as it relates to tradgames?

I've never been a wargamer, but I do love Twilight Struggle and I've heard really good things about the COIN system.GMT's new P500 is a COIN game called Pendragon and it's about the end of Roman Britain. It's kinda tempting me even though I don't play war games.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I recently introduced some friends to Battlestar Galactica. They REALLY enjoy it, and the expansion discussion has come up. I've poked around on BGG and Reddit, but am curious as to goon opinions (goonpinions?) on Pegasus, Exodus, and Daybreak. If I only purchase one, which should it be and why?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's actually a whole huge thread dedicated to just that game in this forum, but I'm confident you'll find the consensus answer to be Pegasus.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh no he releases expansions and updated versions of games. Better burn it all down.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I recently introduced some friends to Battlestar Galactica. They REALLY enjoy it, and the expansion discussion has come up. I've poked around on BGG and Reddit, but am curious as to goon opinions (goonpinions?) on Pegasus, Exodus, and Daybreak. If I only purchase one, which should it be and why?

General consensus is "not Exodus." Pegasus is the first one and probably easier to put in plus has much-needed errata, so I'd get that first (though I'd house rule or not use Cain, as her OPG is insanely busted). Use the errata stuff they added, ignore the New Caprica rules since it's generally bad, but the Treachery deck and Pegasus itself are fine to use, as are the non-Cain characters. Daybreak isn't a bad option either, since it has a superior Treachery deck to Pegasus and some interesting skill cards (give or take Change of Plans apparently), though it has a lot more weird modules you probably won't use.

I'd go Pegasus, but if you really want Daybreak for some reason it's not a terrible option either.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm going to be playing Chaos in the Old World for the first time tomorrow. Are there any newbie traps I should be wary of?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

unpronounceable posted:

I'm going to be playing Chaos in the Old World for the first time tomorrow. Are there any newbie traps I should be wary of?

Run from Khorne, don't try to fight him.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Poopy Palpy posted:

Run from Khorne, don't try to fight him.

If you're Nurgle, grab Provender of Ruin first. The upgrades really aren't all made equal.

Also run from Khorne, don't try to fight him.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Andarel posted:

If you're Nurgle, grab Provender of Ruin first. The upgrades really aren't all made equal.

Also run from Khorne, don't try to fight him.

Nurgle basically can't win through his dial, but that doesn't mean you should ignore it. That dial is full of VPs, upgrades, and useful poo poo.

If you're Tzeentch, don't take a "real" action until you absolutely have to. You have all those 0-Power spells for a reason.

Don't let anyone completely overrun any one province with corruption. Try to fight for second, or at least for the Ruiner bonus.

The game ramps up really fast once provinces start getting ruined. Like, the game can be over within one or two rounds of the first ruination.

Also, run from Khorne, don't try to fight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Counter-point : if you are Khorne, do not try to be fancy. No it's not a trap you really do need to just attack, attack, attack.

(I'm really bloodthirsty in most games and when I first played I somehow psyched myself out that it was some kind of double bluff so I was pretty timid at first.)