Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
It's pretty obvious they outsourced writing the questions to people that speak English as a second language, didn't hire someone to proofread it, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

crunk dork posted:

It's pretty obvious they outsourced writing the questions to people that speak English as a second language, didn't hire someone to proofread it, or both.

Former could very well be possible--I took the previous edition (640-554), and the wording on one of the ASDM/CCP mockups looked like it was translated back into English.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Passed the CISSP.

Not much I can say because of the NDA, however take the old 10-domain books and for the most part toss them, you'll waste time on things like Orange Book that have been replaced by CC and the such.

Full mix/scope of questions. Extremely broad and to be honest the way they word the questions you can't just hop in and take it- you really need to have the experience level required for this.

I used:

CCCure questions, scored ~80% consistently on "pro" level questions. A lot of the questions are outdated however it's the best repository out there even now.

Newest 11th hour book, which isn't called 11th hour anymore.

The CBT Nuggets new 2015 CISSP course

All-around experience working in the industry

Use the books to understand the names of models, processes, plans, and other identifiers. Then just apply those to things you know.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 10, 2016

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Anyone here ever used MeasureUp?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

OhDearGodNo posted:

Passed the CISSP.

Congrats. I hear that's a pretty hellish exam even when you're ready for it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Congrats. I hear that's a pretty hellish exam even when you're ready for it.

Took me 4.5 hours.

I would not recommend it to anyone who hasn't had experience dealing with established processes. I came into the exam expecting what my colleagues had gone through with the 10-domain version, and the 2015 version is very different.

Most questions have multiple answers that are technically correct however one is more correct. I'm not talking about "Cisco answer" correct but where all are legit responses on their own, but not when you must pick one over the other.

While I still believe CASP is highly underrated, CISSP is definitely senior level- not by the depth of detail but in understanding how an entire system is built and maintained.

Then again, a couple people I know in the industry that have a CISSP have zero intuition or capacity to visualize information systems... I honestly don't know how they passed. :iiam:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

OhDearGodNo posted:

Then again, a couple people I know in the industry that have a CISSP have zero intuition or capacity to visualize information systems... I honestly don't know how they passed. :iiam:

I know a bunch of people who took the CISSP as contractors and most of them said they walked out having no idea if they passed or failed due to the questions having multiple correct answers. They just shrugged when asked how it went.

Then one dude who is a god damned moron came out saying it was easy and he was sure he passed.

Everyone passed. The lesson I guess is that the CISSP is dumb as hell and you should never take it if you don't have a compelling career reason to do so.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone working in the Fed space should, if for no other reason than a bunch of ISSOs will literally use it as an excuse to derail your projects at the executive level. If you have it, you are on an equal footing with them on the federal bureaucracy dick measuring contest. It doesn't matter if you're a CCIE with a PHD. CISSP trumps all.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

Anyone working in the Fed space should, if for no other reason than a bunch of ISSOs will literally use it as an excuse to derail your projects at the executive level. If you have it, you are on an equal footing with them on the federal bureaucracy dick measuring contest. It doesn't matter if you're a CCIE with a PHD. CISSP trumps all.

Everyone I know that has it has it because it was required to hold an IAT level 3 position, which was where all of thenetwork positions fell. That's a fine reason though the logic behind why a CISSP was required is incredibly stupid.

But if you're not working with the government there are a lot of certs that would provide more value and less pain.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

NippleFloss posted:

Everyone I know that has it has it because it was required to hold an IAT level 3 position, which was where all of thenetwork positions fell. That's a fine reason though the logic behind why a CISSP was required is incredibly stupid.

But if you're not working with the government there are a lot of certs that would provide more value and less pain.

I did it for IAT III

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

NippleFloss posted:

The lesson I guess is that the CISSP is dumb as hell and you should never take it if you don't have a compelling career reason to do so.

This is entirely true.

psydude posted:

This is also entirely true. I took the ISSAP test out of spite, just to have a one up on the know nothing CISSPs. Spoiler: the ISSAP is just as much incoherent useless garbage as the CISSP.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Has anyone taken Cisco 700-038 advanced collaboration architecture field engineer? Curious about the experience level I should be at before taking it.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Taking my CCNP Route in a few days, and I'm having a little freak out. I took the Cisco class a few months ago (the five-day one), I've watched the whole CBT Nuggets series, and I still feel like I've barely gotten into the stuff I'm going to be tested on. The test practice engine (Pearson's) that came with my OCG is terrifyingly written. Am I about to waste $250 bucks, or does the Cisco class literature do a good job of covering everything? Anyone who's taken the test recently have any advice?

Hopefully my test doesn't bug out; I've never been to this testing center before, so I don't know how lovely the hardware is.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Can you look at the exam topics and not feel fuzzy at all on what they cover and what they mean?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

I don't know that I've ever felt that way about a Cisco exam, and I've done CCNA/CCNASec/CCNP Firewall. :v:

Part of it's probably just my head messing with me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Routing is routing is routing. I'm not sure if they introduced any Cisco marketing crap into it with the refresh, but the previous version was very much focused on actual routing theory over stupid Cisco features (SWITCH took care of that load of poo poo).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

psydude posted:

Routing is routing is routing. I'm not sure if they introduced any Cisco marketing crap into it with the refresh, but the previous version was very much focused on actual routing theory over stupid Cisco features (SWITCH took care of that load of poo poo).

Except that nobody but full Cisco shops uses EIGRP in production.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Passed 70-411. Oh god, the finish line is in sight. I swear, the first thing I'm going to do is "format c:" in celebration when I pass the 412. I've poured so much time and energy into it at this point.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

KillHour posted:

Except that nobody but full Cisco shops uses EIGRP in production.

That's not true. I've seen it used quite frequently in mixed environments, and since its release as an open standard some vendors are beginning to consider it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Raid stuff on the Comptia A+? Also, if my work is mostly with customers in their homes, or personal offices, what kind of IT job should I look for that makes more then 14.70/hr?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Is Raid stuff on the Comptia A+? Also, if my work is mostly with customers in their homes, or personal offices, what kind of IT job should I look for that makes more then 14.70/hr?

My buddy just took the first A+ exam and said he didn't get a single RAID question. Doesn't mean it's not in the question pool, though.

To answer your second question, and I mean this in the most respectful way possible, think about the types of jobs that they can't hire any highschooler off the street to do: systems administration, network engineering, systems engineering, database administration; jobs that take more than your typical Geek Squad level of expertise. A network engineer with a CCNP can easily pull in over $120,000 a year, while someone with a CCIE can pull in north of $200,000 a year. I have no idea what other focus areas make, but every DBA I know drives a Porsche (literally every single one of them).

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 12, 2016

dox
Mar 4, 2006

HPL posted:

Passed 70-411. Oh god, the finish line is in sight. I swear, the first thing I'm going to do is "format c:" in celebration when I pass the 412. I've poured so much time and energy into it at this point.

Take 70-346 instead of the 70-412. I wish I had before studying for all that garbage. Source

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Jedi425 posted:

Taking my CCNP Route in a few days, and I'm having a little freak out. I took the Cisco class a few months ago (the five-day one), I've watched the whole CBT Nuggets series, and I still feel like I've barely gotten into the stuff I'm going to be tested on. The test practice engine (Pearson's) that came with my OCG is terrifyingly written. Am I about to waste $250 bucks, or does the Cisco class literature do a good job of covering everything? Anyone who's taken the test recently have any advice?

Hopefully my test doesn't bug out; I've never been to this testing center before, so I don't know how lovely the hardware is.

Keith Barker's cbt nuggets hands on route labs were probably the most important thing that helped me pass route. If you master those labs then the sims will be easy points.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dox posted:

Take 70-346 instead of the 70-412. I wish I had before studying for all that garbage. Source

I've already got a voucher for the 412 so I might a well take it. That plus I haven't got a lot of experience with Office 365. There's the Hyper-V exam which wouldn't be so bad either, but I haven't worked with SCCM either and I won't anytime in the near future since I have to rattle off my VMWare and Security+ as well too.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

So for IT careers, there is how much you know, and what you know. Assuming that you are generally intelligent, have some drive, and know how to troubleshoot (which is a skill by itself), then learning things should be no problem. The big problem is what to learn. You might get a job a printer tech. You might know printers back and forth, how to set them up, how to fix them, every option every feature, but really, printer techs don't make that much and they run around all day. So your focus, after you get a basic cert or 2, like the A+, is to identify jobs that you would want and would pay well, and focus you education there.

So for example, what I started IT, after the initial helpdesk stuff, I made a few bad career decisions where I took jobs that involved supporting custom software that was developed only for the company I was working for at the time. It gave me more money, but if I wanted to leave or the project failed, I was left with resume keywords that no one really cared about. So for a while each job was starting over. Things got better when I started working with stuff that was everywhere, that had vendor certs that meant something, and were for products that people valued. The last part is important. No one values expertise in Excel, no matter how good someone is. Networking, servers, virtualization, databases, those would be the big ones.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Does someone have a link or access to some ccna labs? I have access to a crap ton of cisco switches and routers but no idea what to try on them. Also we need to update the op of this thread or something.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

crunk dork posted:

Non cert classes are a joke imo and you can knock each one out in a week or two depending on how much time you can dump into them daily.

Just failed 210-260 with a 760, lots of poorly worded and vague questions coupled with a few areas that weren't touched at all in the OCG or even Keith Barker's updated videos. I wouldn't even bother retaking it if I didn't have to for my degree. This is the last class before my final paper too

Anything areas that you could recommend someone studying for this to focus on?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So, my company wants me to help form their initial NSX delivery team (we're partnering pretty heavily with VMWare for this). Before I go headlong into that, I figure getting some formalized training on VMWare beyond creating new guests in vSphere/deploying OVF templates is probably the best bet. What's the typical training track for VMWare as it relates to their virtual networking? From their website, it goes VCA6-NV, VCP6-NV, VCAP6-NV, and then the VCDX6-NV (basically the CCIE). What's the level of effort for each of these compared to, say, a CCNP or CCIE?

e: Looks like they'll waive the course requirement and let you take the VCP6-NV if you have a CCNP: R&S. That's neat.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 12, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've decided I'm turning down a very respectable offer (20% raise) to be the understudy/apprentice/gofer to the head of global operations network security for a Fortune 250 company in favor of the pants-on-head Israeli company offering me giant sacks of cash to travel all over the place.

You may commence laughing at my stupidity now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hey, maybe the opportunity will still be there for you 6 months from now when you realized your tactical win was a strategic mistake.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

psydude posted:

Hey, maybe the opportunity will still be there for you 6 months from now when you realized your tactical win was a strategic mistake.

I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread, so you may be on to something. :downs:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KillHour posted:

I've decided I'm turning down a very respectable offer (20% raise) to be the understudy/apprentice/gofer to the head of global operations network security for a Fortune 250 company in favor of the pants-on-head Israeli company offering me giant sacks of cash to travel all over the place.

Enjoy the baklava.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

You turned down a job with a huge pay raise, a big career boost, and stellar connections that would probably allow you to travel a lot more leisurely in the long run to make less and travel more now?

I don't know your situation maybe it's worth it

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

You turned down a job with a huge pay raise, a big career boost, and stellar connections that would probably allow you to travel a lot more leisurely in the long run to make less and travel more now?

No the one he went with was an even larger raise. He chose the one giving him giant sacks of cash. The other stable reasonable option with great connections and a long-term career potential was only a 20% raise on what he's getting now. (Personally would have gone the stable route but having a family and responsibilities will do that).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

No, he turned down the kind of job that Makes someone for a job at a batshit crazy Israeli company that's paying him more, and which everyone here told him not to take.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

high six posted:

Anything areas that you could recommend someone studying for this to focus on?

Know your VPN stuff up and down and NAT/ACL Rules too, and how to put it all together in the ASDM

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The nearly 100% raise( I think) he's getting is a pretty big motivator.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

psydude posted:

No, he turned down the kind of job that Makes someone for a job at a batshit crazy Israeli company that's paying him more, and which everyone here told him not to take.

To be fair with Dick Trauma missing and larchesdanrew in a new, apparently slightly less crazy gig, we need a new person with a terrible job to makes the rest of us feel better about our own poor decisions. KillHour may not have made the right choice for himself, but he made the right choice for us.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SaltLick posted:

The nearly 100% raise( I think) he's getting is a pretty big motivator.

Money ain't everything, I'm hoping for some good stories for us illustrating why this was a bad choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Who said anything about stable?

The job I'm turning down:

- 1 year contract with the possibility of being hired after
- Zero benefits
- $30/hr (I'm making $25/hr now)
- Fortinet shop
- No vacation, 24/7 on call

They also described their CIA triad as "Availability, Availability, Availability, Availability, Integrity, and nobody really cares about Confidentiality," so I expect many sleepless nights trying to figure out why a factory in China is down.

The job I'm accepting:

- Permanent position
- Double my current pay before benefits. Including benefits, it's probably more like a 140% increase.
- Traveling around the country and giving technical trainings.
- Giving webex trainings (potentially in my underwear).
- Playing with a bunch of demo hardware that never needs to go into production.
- Offers 15 days vacation to start, plus 9 paid holidays.
- Has really good 401k
- Has really good medical coverage

I'm sure there will be plenty of schadenfreude, but I feel like I'm making a decent decision, here.